On this day of Trump’s inauguration, I thought I would write of something

Dow Jones Industrial Average Never Quite Made It To 20K And Is Now Flat
more rare and significant, the recent release of Linux 4.4.44. Yes, that’s four consecutive “4”s in the identification of a release of Linux. That’s a really rare number, like one in ten thousand. Trump is just one in 45 and he has only one “4”. Hah!

I’m going to be very busy today, welding in the spring-like weather we’re having, working on more tank traps for snowmobiles and the cart for the alternator, too busy to waste my time watching the coronation of USA’s latest king. I’ll take breaks watching my Canadian stock portfolio grow… I hope he’s insulted enough to Tweet me at 0400 tomorrow…

This entry was posted in politics, technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to 4

You know, this is a super big maybe. I don’t have to admit anything. You and you alone, provide self-evidence that you are a charlatan

For example. Interesting point. There is something interesting here.

“Take the case that a sub is damaged for some reason. Yet there is a surface ship that has been captured. Remember diesel subs. Yes scuttling the sub and taking the sea worthy captured ship has to be considered. If the sea worthy captured ship will increase combat strength it will be taken.”

You are a charlatan, Ham-Dong, and everyone here has come to understand that.

Eh? Cogeneration plants have no problem running 24×7, obviously you don’t know what you are doing. Your non-sequitur logic is failing you

dougman if you have a Co-generation plant that works and does not fail at worst possible times every base in Antarctica is interested. . If I could find the link the there is a list of failures of the co-generation plants at the Australian and USA Antarctica bases. Most due to technical skill could be repaired but few have caused the base to have to be vacated due to no longer being able to maintain heating.

You can think about running power generation in Antarctica is like Cave diving plan that the complete system is going to fail because historically it has. That includes a wind turbine rated for Mark II of force on mounting being snapped off then hitting other key parts of the power generation system.

So 24/7 power generation is really ‘Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.’ now if you are depending on the power generation for heat to stay healthy and it fails some how and you don’t have a decent back-up plan you are kinda dead.

Someone does not understand why long term movable fuel tanks have be put in wheeled trailers or tracked trailers or solid mounted to pallets(for forklift pickup) instead of skids. Fuel tanks on skids are for temporary storage because moving on skids you can hit things and tank get stress fractures because of it that finally ends in leaking. Yes it a historic out of date thing to do the 6×6 skid posts under those tank that looking at current installation instructions by makers of new tanks that size is forbid because it is stupid idea that seamed like workable back in time and has resulted in leaked fuel. So skid posts is a temporary hack under a fuel tank to move it when empty should not be long solution or containing fuel as you have suggested.

This is the problem with getting something second hand not new is that you can miss out on critical new modern mounting instructions that is for your own safety. Its not like the new tanks that size have different mountings or differences in metal just improved instructions on mounting and deployment.

“Silly.”

Agreed, we know you are.

“Propane is hard to find around here if the stores are closed.”

So is toilet-paper obviously, as with anything else derp. This is why you have a hundred gallon tank, which at say .75gal. per hour consumption, you get a good 5-days of usage. If you up size to a 500-gallon tank, you get basically a month.

“Meanwhile as long as trucks are on the road diesel is plentiful and cheap.”

Not if, as you say the SHTF. Hope you have a sizable fuel tank. Coincidentally, I just got a free 275 gallon fuel tank. A coat of herculiner, and some fresh paint, some new feet, 6×6 skid posts and a manual pump. I have a new outdoor tank for my tractor.

“The problem is not having large quantities in storage but keeping the generator running 24×7 for long periods of time.”

4. dougman wrote, “A 100-gallon tank of propane can set there unused for a decade, and still function.”

Silly. Propane is hard to find around here if the stores are closed. Meanwhile as long as trucks are on the road diesel is plentiful and cheap. The problem is not having large quantities in storage but keeping the generator running 24×7 for long periods of time.

Who cares about 4.44.4.4.4… I am already on 4.9, whoopey-do.

I seriously doubt you would lug 55-gallons of diesel fuel or gasoline through the yard. Also, for long-term storage gasoline goes bad fairly quick, diesel lasts longer but gels in colder temperatures due to global warming and tends to attract algae growth.

A 100-gallon tank of propane can set there unused for a decade, and still function. This is why telecoms and the FAA has remote sites set up with propane generators.

You plan is lame.

6. DrLoser wrote, “In what way is a point release of the Linux kernel “rare,” Robert?”

Well, how long ago was 3.3.33 released? It hasn’t been released. Well, how about 2.2.22? 16-Sep-2002… back when I was a novice. So, 4.4.44 is pretty rare. It’s running smoothly though.

In what way is a point release of the Linux kernel “rare,” Robert?

Of course, you might be referring to cooking terminology, in which case I can recommend a more vaunting aspiration: “well done.”

Nobody has yet seen such a thing, but hey, chuckle, we all live in hope.

8. dougman wrote, “Just get a propane genny with a 100-gallon tank, wire it in with a manual disconnect.”

Why not just use the equipment I already own? I can connect a larger fuel tank if necessary, say a barrel. A diesel engine can run on propane but I have not a suitable injector.

“When SHTF, power could be out for days/weeks.”

What are you expecting? Nibiru?? The coming of Mohammed?

10. dougman wrote, “Reading buzzfeed again”?

Yes. They have some good stuff in there.

Just checked. My portfolio is up 9% today. Thank you, Trump, for threatening the world’s economic systems. I did happen to catch a bit of Trump’s speech. People in the audience were squirming with embarrassment that POTUS could be so crude. Lots of contradictions like “we’re not going to force our will on the world” and “we’re going to wipe out radical islamic terrorism”. Yeah, right. “Everyone’s going to be first”. Yeah, as he stuffs his cabinet with the wealthy bastards who’ve been exploiting the common man for decades… I walked away then. Thought I would wretch.

11. dougman wrote, “I still do not see the point of this alternator. You have electrical service, use that.”

1. Manitoba Hydro fails occasionally, not very often, but a few hours each year. I want emergency power during those outages.
    2. My yard is large. I want power to the remote corners of the yard for welding and/or pumping water.
    3. I’m no fool. When SHTF, power could be out for days/weeks. We will need local power sources then. In the long run, solar/wind with battery would be a good choice but I’m not there yet. OTOH, I do have engines sitting around and now I have an alternator. All that remains to be done is to finish the cart and install devices.

I still do not see the point of this alternator. You have electrical service, use that. You espouse the use of lower carbon emissions, but here you are burning hydrocarbons to support your silly projects.

Hypocrite.

Reading buzzfeed again Pogsey? You should know better then to read garbage.

14. Yep, just checked. My stock portfolio is up 50% in the last 30 days. That’s much more fun than watching Trump break things. BTW, his concert last night is reported to have drawn just a few K people, not like Obama back in 2009 with 400K… He’s all talk and no action. SAD!

15. Actually, I was headed out the door and found drizzle. I could but won’t weld in cold wetness. I could cut some steel indoors, but TLW has parked the car in front of my vise…

I have several engines I can use to drive the alternator: the diesel 18HP, a gasoline engine of 5 hp from the broken Sears tiller or the 8HP gasoline engine from the 26 year old snowblower which is on its last legs… The 5HP is vertical so not optimal for a belt drive but the others would do fine. I have all the wheels and bearings ready to go. I just need to mount them and a steering tongue. I have a bit more tilling I can do to plant the grapes and clover this spring but later the 18HP would be the front-runner.

Welding crap again?

Tank traps for snowmobilers are a future liability.

Ah, and yes, an over-sized alternator with no use and nothing to drive it with.

Seems like a productive day to me. *rolls-eyes*