Chuckle. Truth is stranger than fiction. The story line:
- 2009/10 At the height of the Afghan war, Bradley Manning who was an intelligence widget in the USAian military, decided to dump tons of classified documents describing USAian operations to WikiLeaks. This included lots of diplomatic cables too.
- 2013 Manning, now Chelsea Manning, was sentenced to 35 years for the crimes.
- 2013 Request was made for a pardon.
- 2016 WikiLeaks dumps a whole bunch of DNC e-mails in the midst of Hillary’s bid to become POTUS.
- 2016 After the election of Trump, another request for a pardon was made.
- 2017 January 12, WikiLeaks states Assange will face the music if Manning is pardoned.
- 2017 Today, Manning’s sentence was commuted to end in May.
My! I’ll bet there will be some more turbulence in the air over Washington DC before the week’s out. I doubt WikiLeaks’ promise is worth much but it’s possible some negotiation was carried out in London with the Ecuadorian embassy to solidify the matter. The pardon may be unrelated but it is an interesting coincidence. No doubt Trump will not be amused to find he has to share some of the spotlight this week. His ego hates that kind of thing… No tweets visible yet… 😉 Hillary, the GOP, and the DEMs may all be upset unless bringing in the bigger fish is sufficient compensation. Obama has a press conference tomorrow. This is sure to be a subject.
UPDATE – A few days after the pardon, Assange decided not to surrender because Manning will not be released immediately…