Deplorability

“I’ve tried to tell myself that it will be all right and that I can continue in good conscience before God and man … I only know I could never ‘throw roses to Hitler.’ And I certainly could never sing for him.”

See Mormon Tabernacle Choir member quits, refuses to sing for Trump
“Deplorable” is an apt description of Trump, the man with no morals. A wise woman once told me to “judge a tree by its fruit”. Judging by what we saw during the campaigns and the other deplorables around which Trump has surrounded himself, the singer is right to skip performing for Trump.

How badly did those who survived worshipping Adolf Hitler in the early days must have felt when they learned the truth, that just about everything the “fuhrer” told them was a lie… How badly will a performer feel when this great adventure turns out badly? How badly will those foolish voters feel in a few years when the economy is in the tank and the world hates what USA is doing even more than they do now? As long as he doesn’t actually destroy the planet I guess there will be many millions more ranting about his deplorability than now but they will be able to start over again and change for the better because of hard lessons learned: there are no quick fixes for complex problems and his slogans are camouflage for lies.

This entry was posted in politics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Deplorability

“She has a working notebook. ”

Not according to you, you broke it trying to upgrade Ubuntu, when you should have installed clean.

“She’s not in the market for yet another machine.”

Eh, you mean, you rather buy more JUNK from China.

“It’s doubtful that a ChromeBook would please her.”

LOL. I am willing to bet money it would. Haven’t you ever heard the parable, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime” Admit it you are stuck like a dinosaur, in the dark ages. Ubuntu was just unsavory to you, so you purposely “broke” it, and installed your pet Debian.

“We still have a slow upload speed here so her present configuration is probably much faster than using cloudy services.”

Say what? 15Mbps is slow??

2. dougman wrote, “give her a Chromebook and bedone with it”.

1. She has a working notebook. She’s not in the market for yet another machine.
    2. It’s doubtful that a ChromeBook would please her. The workflow would be quite different. We still have a slow upload speed here so her present configuration is probably much faster than using cloudy services.

“Now, for something really deplorable… TLW has been using a notebook running Ubuntu GNU/Linux.”

Quite being a control freak Pogsey, give her a Chromebook and bedone with it.

4. Now, for something really deplorable… TLW has been using a notebook running Ubuntu GNU/Linux. The darned thing needed upgrading so I did what Canonical suggested and it didn’t go well. After a gazillion packages had installed without problems, some errors crept in. I had to repeat the upgrade three times to satisfy dependencies. On reboot, the root file-system could not be found! Thanks, Canonical, for making GNU/Linux resemble that other os that we fled so long ago… Anyway, from the initramfs I finally managed to mount the file-system and found there was no init and a step was missing in the scripts to enable logical volume management. I made a backup of the /home directories and installed Debian GNU/Linux. The installer even has a web-server so I could ship out the backups before overwriting Ubuntu. The installer is grinding away as I write this.

So, I’m getting rid of the last copy of Ubuntu that I will ever touch and getting a solid OS, Debian GNU/Linux. TLW will appreciate it because it will work as she expects instead of having to serch for applications…

5. dougman wrote, “there is a guy growing oranges in North Dakota sans heating”.

We are a zone or two colder than ND. Sure, one could build a greenhouse to do that but it would be expensive, probably requiring multiple layers, perhaps even tripane windows. There’s no way a sheet of polyethylene will do. e.g. When I was a boy on the farm, we had a barn, a small one, just big enough for a tractor, a workshop, a milkroom, 8 cows and a few calves and two horses. Add it up and there was a fair bit of heat generated. Still, the walls were covered in frost a couple of inches deep every winter. That’s 0C or so. OK for tough animals but plants can’t grow. If dougman’s idea were sound, greenhouses would be everywhere passively heated. Nope. Won’t fly unless one spends huge money on construction. I’ve seen greenhouses run on waste heat from diesel generators, down in mines, and some just heated from the grid or with natural gas. That just works in the most southern parts of Canada near Toronto or Halifax. 10 or 20 C cooler temperatures make it a no-go. Greenhouses are everywhere but no one operates them in our winters except spring/fall when conditions are much easier. Mine is basically an outdoor workshop. I shift stuff into the garage to avoid frost and I use the dining room with its abundance of sun for delicate stuff. TLW hates it…

Shutup Fifi, no one asked for your input. Of which, is totally off-topic as usual.

dougman the idiot again saying that someone is wrong when he really knows nothing about the topic.

Oranges have a dormant stage and when in dormant stage and can tolerate extreme cold for 10 hours at a time in the strongest trees.

Yes in places like North Dakota when it gets cold and the tree goes dormant they rug the trees up because once dormant the tree does not need sunlight. Hot areas you get 2 crops a year off Oranges in cold areas you only get one because the tree goes dormant so costing you 1 complete crop a year.

By the way Orange trees to grow properly require above 12 Celsius /55 Fahrenheit to be in fact growing not going into Dormant mode. Yes under 12 Celsius/55 Fahrenheit percentage of tree will have changed to Dormant mode by 6 Celsius the tree will be 100 percent Dormant. In fact is nothing uncommon for colder areas with Citrus to have heated and lighted green houses to grow replacement trees so that tree is effectively 12+ months of growth old before it hits the first cold spell to increase survival.

Another advantage of Oranges is the fruit tolerates being forced ripened. So cold weather comes earlier than expected you can harvest your crop put it what are called green rooms apply correct chemical and have all the fruit ripen up. Oranges are quite a popular Citrus for cold areas due to the plant have a dormant mode and the fact the fruit don’t have to be tree ripened. Even so in the most dicey areas to grow Oranges outside you require a heated with artificial light green house to produce young replacement trees.

North Dakota with oranges without covering the trees is dead trees as −60 °F (−51 °C) is tree killing absolutely without some form cover/insulation.

Some plants are simpler to insulate in cold area due to the plant going dormant so not requiring lots of light or air. Yes is very simple to insulate something like a Orange tree that is not growing dormant so is not needing to breath that much and does not require any light. Its a totally different problem to insulate a growing plant where you require moving air and light. Stagnant air can kill lots of plants so you can have perfect light and perfect temperature and watch plants die or fail to grow due to lack of CO2. So in some ways growing the plants in the house with humans activity providing CO2 and air movement that the plants need to grow is the simplest for small scale also done right in the house improves the health of the air during the winter months reducing the risks of blood clots and the like.

Deep vein thrombosis is caused by poor air quality. The two places you are likely to suffer from it is aircraft and areas over recycling air. Yes having house plants in air-conditioned/heated air buildings is way of reducing risk.

“proper heated greenhouse” Robert this might be nice but for your own health even if you set up a greenhouse in winter make sure you still have a decent amount of house plants. Anyone in hotter areas where I am with air-conditioned buildings deploying plants is important to staff health you can cut your staff sick days down to 1/10 just by a little house plant investment.

dougman you got up me for having gone picking fruit. I have done planting fruit and tree production as well.

Oranges are classic under 12 months of growth old they don’t have the structure to tolerate freezing weather dependability. True you can grow crops that endure freezing but first 12 months of growth without freezing weather in the perennial crops increase survival rate a lot. Even with annuals you can increase the number of crops you can get a year. Only a idiot who has not worked with crops in cold conditions would say what dougman said.

The history of starting crops in the house then planting outside is documented being done by the Vikings its a very old and well documented process. So this is not new knowledge that heating is required when starting new perennial plants in the hasher cold areas to make sure you don’t have like 90%+ failure rates. So its not like you cannot grow cold tolerant plants without heating but most cold tolerant perennials need to get to a particular size before they have max resistance. Starting without heated grow area means rolling dice if perennial plant will be big enough in time to have enough resistance if not it will die. Most perennial plants are at max temperature resistance between 7-11 months of growth so without a heated grow area you are praying for a light winter or a late winter.

Heated grow areas is common sense in cold areas of course the heated area does not have to be something special just for plants.

Large citrus growers in cold areas can be despicable and tolerate up to a 98 percent new plant failure in green houses. So place in North Dakota growing Oranges without heated green house might be that they simply just have large enough green houses to plant 100x more new trees than they need or they buy their trees from a grower south of them when they are 12 months old. So there are cheats like buying plants matured to 12 months but from a health point of view small volume just use your house.

“Our winter days are short, about 8h of sunlight. That’s not enough to heat a greenhouse without a lot of expensive insulation”

Bollocks, there is a guy growing oranges in North Dakota sans heating. You do understand that insulation is just air, right? Now you are making excuses.

9. dougman wrote, “you do NOT need to heat the damn thing, the sun will warm it up, or alternatively you could use geothermal heating moving air through the ground to to stabilize the inside temperature of said greenhouse.”

You do understand that geothermal heating is heating, eh? I am quite aware of the ground temperatures around here. We get freezing down several feet in most winters. The ground is frozen solid at the surface and down a few inches. Plants stop growing at ~6C. Our winter days are short, about 8h of sunlight. That’s not enough to heat a greenhouse without a lot of expensive insulation, thermal mass and variable windows. Life is just hard at -30C. Oh, and you need an airlock too… It’s so much easier to start seedlings in the house in January to April and put them out in May. I have a huge house and pots and soil are ready. I even have some Chinese thermostats for heating things in the basement. Our dining room serves as a greenhouse with adequate temperature and lots of sun for short periods. I will plant seed indoors starting in January. I just received some rhubarb seed yesterday. I will start it in March under some Chinese LEDs.

dougman also wrote, “I find it humorous that with -30C temps, you want to deploy a EV. That damn thing wont go but 5 miles before it dies, it that.”

It’s true batteries do weaken at low temperatures and I realize Solo EV is not a great winter driving car but I do have a parka and mitts and can drive with the windows open… but I don’t intend to shoot or shop as much in winter anyway. TLW’s luxury car can serve us for that. It blows lots of hot air. Batteries tend to have about half the capacity at -30C as +20C. That would still get me to the shooting range and back, BTW, if I wanted to make the trip and could walk through knee-deep snow to set the targets…

“The problem with a greenhouse is heating and lighting it and ensuring temperatures like -30C won’t get at them during the night when I sleep.”

Pogsey, you can grow crops that will endure in freezing weather, you do NOT need to heat the damn thing, the sun will warm it up, or alternatively you could use geothermal heating moving air through the ground to to stabilize the inside temperature of said greenhouse.

11. dougman wrote, “If you had a greenhouse, well, I am just saying, IF you had a greenhouse you could be growing all sorts of things.”

The problem with a greenhouse is heating and lighting it and ensuring temperatures like -30C won’t get at them during the night when I sleep. It’s easier to sprout things in my basement or dining room under lights or sunshine and potting them out in the spring. It just means waiting a bit. I’ve found several plants that don’t mind being houseplants over the winter: lilacs and pines. It gives them a bit more growth over a year. I would like to have a proper heated greenhouse but all I have now is a good place to start things in the spring and prepare them for winter with high benches and frames.

“I’m just trying to survive the winter so I can garden again…”

“In the meantime I will tinker with sprouting seed indoors”

Try microgreens, in no time you can have a dozen different varieties of plants growing in a little under 1-2 weeks.

13. The Wiz wrote, “What are you going to do Dougie when your man starts screwing you as well?”

That’s a good point. Trump demands loyalty from his followers but offers little in return. His policy of the hour seems heavily influenced by the last persuasive person with whom he spoke. Since he’s surrounded by crazies, I’m not optimistic of smooth sailing for years to come. In particular, Trump hides his lack of direction by saying he wants to be unpredictable. At some point we have to realize that unpredictability is just another word for chaotic and we should expect a rough ride. I’m just wondering how long it will take the Congress to impeach him because he doesn’t understand nor respect the constitution or even rule of law. Whatever you think of Obama, at least he was thoughtful himself. Trump has no thoughts, just tweets and retweets. He says and does the stupidest things in response to any perceived slight. Lately, he’s putting his personal love-affair with Putin ahead of the interests of USAian national security. Be very afraid. Worst case: He’s on the phone being soothed by Putin as the missiles are incoming so he doesn’t press his “button”…

14. Thanks, Wiz. TLW has the usual events planned. I’m just trying to survive the winter so I can garden again… In the meantime I will tinker with sprouting seed indoors, some electronics and possibly some coding and watch my stock portfolio grow despite Trump.

15. Wizard Emeritus says:

Oh and a Happy and healthy New Year to you and your family Robert Pogson.

16. Wizard Emeritus says:

Oh and BTW

Actually I can understand why you missed this, it requires reading skills that a highschool dropout like you might not have.

17. Wizard Emeritus says:

Nice straw man Dougie, but President Elect Don the Con still remains for over half of America as deplorable as Robert Pogson has described him, no matter what you say about Canada.

What are you going to do Dougie when your man starts screwing you as well?

Lets talk about the ten promises that Trudeau did not keep; the man is a liar and a psychopath. Itis all about pic’s and social stunts,what can you expect from a spoiled substitute teacher.