Well, in the middle of a visit by family and near the tail-end of the storm our Christmas season was marred by a failure of our geothermal heating system. We managed with the stove, drier, a hotplate and some appliances heating our home until the sun rose and gave us a few more kilowatts. At around 8am we called our local fix-it guy and described the symptoms to him: various growling sounds, the acrid smell of burning insulation followed by a big BANG! Neither the geothermal heating nor the all-electric backup worked. We turned off the breakers to the unit and waited for his arrival. I realized the driveway had some fresh drifts and cleared them out by the time he arrived.
This guy knows his stuff. Fortunately, the compressor and controls were OK. We could not find any evidence of the manufacturer on the web. Further problems may well have required an expensive replacement of the whole furnace. It was simply a burned out motor for the fan which caused cascading failures. This fan was designed by an amateur. The motor was much too small and the fan ran at too high an RPM to work reliably. The motor was the entire bearing. The shaft of the motor was very thin, too. It was designed to fail and it’s amazing this one lasted over ten years. Our fix-it guy found a very similar motor with a bit more power and had us back with central heating in a couple of hours. I probably could have fixed this in a few days but the house might have grown very cold in the process. This way, TLW, the fix-it guy and I are all happy on the same day with no waiting. It’s all good.