A while back we opted for faster Internet access, 150mbits/s. I’ve been dragging my feet a bit fighting off bronchitis or something but I felt clear-headed today and TLW was off at a party, so… I got an IP address for Beast direct from the ISP and modified the dhcp configuration and the old 100mbits/s router to be a wireless switch and set up a firewall to properly handle all the connections. Surprisingly, it all works, except one client failed to come back with ifdown eth0;ifup eth0 to get the new network settings. A BlackBerry somewhere in the house is responding wirelessly. Odroid-C2 is happier than ever.
Speed is nice, a bit over 150 mbits/s on the download but only ~10mbits/s on the upload. The old router was giving us about 50 mbits/s downloads. I do have a gigabit/s connection to the modem at last, so we are finally getting what we pay for…
The biggest problem of this whole project was converting Beast from a LAN-only server hiding behind another firewall to putting Beast on the Internet with its own firewall tuned up. The firewall software depends on certain features of Linux that I did not have compiled-in for my stripped down version. I think that took about 5 runs before I got it right. No doubt using a stock kernel would have been faster. I have no ports dangling out there and the only glitch with the firewall seems to be some undesirable logging activity. I will look into that another day. Tonight I surf!
UPDATE – I was logging “martians“. It’s amazing how much activity on the web is trying to get in the front door. Dropping them without logging now.
UPDATE – Lo, and behold! We had a power-failure right in the middle of a party. Visitors were able to access the WiFi just fine as usual but the system did not recover gracefully. Our ISP is really slow to start DHCP from the modem once power returned. I fiddle for a few minutes before we recovered an Internet connection. I even reset the modem again. Otherwise, all went well.