Left Out – VW Diesels

“Out of the 475,000 Volkswagen 2.0 liter diesel engine owners, approximately 210,000 individuals have chosen to partake in the $14.7 billion settlement that is awaiting final court approval. Under the settlement terms, VW and Audi owners have the option of selling their cars back to the dealership or having them fixed to meet U.S. environmental standards and clean air laws. In addition, owners will receive $5,100 to $10,000 compensation for their time and trouble during this scandal.”

See Money Over Cars: 210,000 VW Diesel Owners Decide on Vehicle Buyback
I love diesels. I wanted TLW to buy one years ago but she fell in love with gas-guzzlers…

Anyway, if I have anything to say about it our next vehicle should be diesel. Nothing but silence from VW, Canada, however…

This entry was posted in family, technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Left Out – VW Diesels

Ermmm, by definition, an idiot is a mentally handicapped person. You match this obligation righteously.
    In fact no it does not. I don’t in fact have a low intellect.

Most of the modern stuff it is. Historic examples not so much. Some really old black shoe polish was nothing more than bees wax and charcoal and Olive Oil. Black shoe polish that comes in can these days is not a safe combination. Basically the formula of shoe polish has changed from something that was safe to use as make up to something now that is totally not safe. There were many examples in world war II of the old style shoe polish being used to reduce human visibility as well.

So what time period are you talking about with that question. Yes the historic stories of people blackfacing with shoe polish is way different to doing it today. Heck there are historic and current examples of whitefacing where a performer colours the other way.

Not only do you compose scientific papers, using your own colorful style
    This is your repeated mistake. The style I write in is not my own style. Ok I don’t have editing process to clean up a few mistake. Most of what I write is based off Oxford style that you will find used in quite a few different places.

“No you have proven yourself as a idiot by miss quoting intentionally.”

“That is a action of a lair and fraud without question.”

Without question, it is a fraud that I resided in a lair.

“Its called false representation in fact most countries breach of law as well.”

Not only do you compose scientific papers, using your own colorful style, but you are a para-legal / lawyer and can cite libel lawsuits at wit. Wow, seriously you should create a law-firm and call it “Dumb & Dumber”

“So by your own foolishness you no longer have the high ground to stand on.”

High ground? Well, wouldn’t you agree that smearing your face with black shoe polish is foolishness? Who does that??

“Lot of issue I have is idiots changing my words without understanding exactly what I have written.

I quoted your unspectacular vernacular, tryst in abstract it goes? Oh just stuff it.

“dougman please stop wining like a child you are not making your case at all. ”

4 time altering a line because too dumb to understand what it means. I guess you thought I meant whining there I did exactly mean wining like a child.

A stupid idiot child thinks they are winning the argument by being insulting exactly what you are doing dougman.

Wake up to the big problem here. Lot of issue I have is idiots changing my words without understanding exactly what I have written.

The reality dougman you are failing to read what I have written even that it has exact meaning.

The ONLY case that I have proven, is that you my dear fellow are a lair/fraud and an idiot.
    No you have proven yourself as a idiot by miss quoting intentionally. That is a action of a lair and fraud without question. Its called false representation in fact most countries breach of law as well. So by your own foolishness you no longer have the high ground to stand on.

“dougman please stop wining”

I may not have been great at twerking, but Caribbean dancing I have down fairly well.

“like a child you are not making your case at all.”

“Only a idiot or a child cannot quote correctly.”

Actually, I would add that the liberal/progressive news media, along with Muslims and feminists should be piled into your definition. Now get back to work, your fellow countrymen need their vegetables and you are going to be short on your quota for the week.

dougman illegal usage of coma breach of Oxford min writing style drew my attention straight to it. Oxford style only allows comas in lists no where else. You pause its a capital and stop.
    That is exactly what I wrote. Oxford min style allows cliff stop sentences by it grammar. So that of mine is 100 percent correct nothing to change. Cliff stop means explanation is in next sentence. I guess dougman you have no clue how to read documents using cliff stop sentences. Cliff stop sentences are allowed in Oxford min because you are not allowed to use comas in lots of places.

So this is three times you have miss quoted me dougman. Only a child miss quotes someone. If you do a miss quote in formal academic the document is rejected and if it for a grade you have just scored a zero.

To pass uni you only need to be able to write to Oxford minimum style standard. That I can do perfectly well. Sorry a child will like dougman when asked to write to Oxford min style will put comas in wrong places. So I write with the punctuation style that is academically acceptable and light enough not to make my writing a complete disaster.

Yes I could pick a more complex punctuation style than Oxford minimum style but the price I pay document writing fails.

Sorry claiming I am writing like a child is a joke. I know the styles I can in fact write well and do in fact stick to them.

I should have been more correct I do care about the min punctuation I use but I don’t do like the 16 rules for comas when doing so:
    1) For work and academic reasons is totally not required.
    2) So less mental overhead so less language errors by following Oxford min style.
    So the grammar and punctuation I use does in fact have a very strict set of rules but in total number of rules way less.

Child attempting to do Oxford min style will normally make a mistake somewhere or another.

dougman please stop wining like a child you are not making your case at all. Only a idiot or a child cannot quote correctly.

“I have a down right good reason not to focus on punctuation. If you think a run on sentence is hard to read, then you have not seen nothing. When I focus on punctuation I end up writing words out of order and unable to see I have.”

So obviously, by your own self-admission, you writing level is that of a child. I mean, you just admitted that you have a “good reason” to NOT focus on punctuation, grammar and spelling. Its a wonder you can even feed yourself, let alone find a job picking fruit and/or vegetables.

The reality is different authors and journals totally don’t care about most of the rules of punctuation or many other optional rules of english. On scale on run on sentences I do are in fact quite small compare to what has been published.

I have a down right good reason not to focus on doing more punctuation. If you think a run on sentence is hard to read. When I focus on punctuation I end up writing words out of order and unable to see I have. Be thankful that I do full stops. The worst only do capital at start of paragraph full stop at end and that can be 500+ words in the middle.

In fact there is no constant effort by me to get english wrong. I just use a different style that has a very restricted punctuation set. The punctuation includes full stop and question mark. If you had of paid attention you would have noticed me use question mark from time to time. So the fact I did not use question mark and someone attempt to-do a correction by adding a question mark is kinda key they are not respecting my punctuation.

This is the thing if I have typed a punctuation mark its placed at that location for a reason and has meaning behind it.

May not seam like it but I do care about punctuation and its a very bad mistake to presume that someone like me using a light amount of punctuation don’t know what we are doing with it. In fact it can be that we know exactly what we are doing with it and have in fact put meaning into it.

Reality when saying I have spelling and grammar problems this is true. I also have word order problems. All the result of having the worst form of dyslexia that is managed. So of course this means I have limitations on how I can write to be readable.

Really a bigoted person demands everyone writes using the max level of punctuation marks. As this results in some people not being able to produce readable text at all.

If someone is ignoring where I put punctuation marks will make my writing many times harder to read.

Robert Pogson that is the problem is some of the stuff over punctuation and grammar is not in fact mandated.

Like here for commas 16 rules with conditions. How many are in the Oxford mandated punctuation style guide. Rule 1 that is it. So fairly much ignore all the rules on commas after that. Rule 3c in fact by Oxford is not add a comma it is rewrite. So there are a stack of things in the style guides.

Confusing: I saw that she was busy and prepared to leave.
    Clearer with comma: I saw that she was busy, and prepared to leave.

Both those lines by Oxford style guide are called confusing.

Punctuation, Grammar and Spelling are all important. Those who put Grammar ahead of Punctuation miss read documents.

In order of importance. Spelling, Punctuation, Grammar and finally Mechanics. Punctuation, Grammar and Mechanics rules all change based on what style guide your writing have to conform to. English is one horible inconstant mess.

Reality dougman is racist bigot. In this comment stream
    Here is dougman ignoring my Punctuation mark to alter what I said. So changing my of to off was in fact the second time in this very comment stream dougman had attempted to rewrite my text to back his incorrect point of view.

Basically since the bigot dougman is losing every point he is putting up at the moment he now has to attack my english. Only problem he does not know enough about english to-do it properly and is breaking key rules to attempt to-do it.

9. dougman wrote, “Only an ignorant racist vegetable picker would argue over the use of “of” and “off”.”

Only the ignorant would ignore gross/repetitive improper spelling/grammar. I’m constantly offended by misspoken English I see on CNN. I know errors/typos happen on my blog but there is no consistent effort to get English wrong by me. Others just don’t care enough to do it right. They are ignorant. I try to be polite and not point out others’ errors regularly but I notice a lot of errors by supposedly educated people.

Only pointed it out because the bigot you keeps on rewriting my words to suit his own moron ends.

Take off, you hoser.

“I just don’t use a common writing style. But its a writing style that appears in different documents where space is a factor. This include different scientific journals.”

OH? Show us your abstracts you racist vegetable picker.

dougman by the way the of was not a typing error for off in that sentence.
    of
    “expressing the relationship between a part and a whole”
    That is kinda key. The way the line is written is in fact say-able.

“What are you attempting to have me fall of my chair laugh at you.”

What that line means is knock my chair over laughing at you not fall off my chair. Two totally different meanings.

Actually, it should be ” What are you attempting to have me do? Fall off my chair laughing at you?”
    LOLOLOLOL
    Go open up world book encyclopaedia and start reading.
    “What are you attempting to have me fall of my chair laugh at you.”
    This is perfectly world book encyclopaedia style english. All those grammar marks cost ink and money.

Grammar marks alter based on the style of writing person does. I do compact get use to it.

“What are you attempting to have me fall of my chair laugh at you.”

See, grammar and spelling is important, something you are sorely lacking along with a multitude of other things.

I know and I whole-heatedly agree, your run-on sentences makes it very difficult to ascertain any sense of intelligence, let along having any direct conversation on an intellectual level.
    LOLOL I like idiot excuse for attempt to get out of being caught rewriting someone text instead of using cut and paste properly.

Of course lets say cannot talk on intellectual level. Lets now attack person language skills instead of accepting that they are useless is this so much normal Troll is not fully.

What are you attempting to have me fall of my chair laugh at you.

Ham-Dong No you choose to rename oiaohm as Ham-Dong. Since you made up that name its your handle end of story not oiaohms. I don’t see how oiaohm spells Ham-Dong that right Ham-Dong cannot read.

“dougman Ok so you cannot read”

“Ham-Dong you moron idiot….So Ham-Dong is a caught lier.”

I couldn’t agree more with you; see we are making progress! At least you are admitting your faults, that is the first step on the road to recovery. Maybe you will become something more then a vegetable/fruit picker.

dougman Ok so you cannot read. See the full stop.
    There are cases were you need low emissions.
    That is a independent sentence.

Read this sentence more carefuly. Its made in Russia and China then used in Many countries.

Ham-Dong you moron idiot.
    This does not at all match
    “There are cases were you need low emissions in China.”
    So Ham-Dong is a caught lier.

*SHOCK*…making it up? I highlighted the appropriate section and even linked it for you, four-eyes.

dougman
    “There are cases were you need low emissions in China.”
    Ok exactly where did I say that. The answer I did not. You are so desprate to win a point you are not resorting to making crap up.

Some countries in fact mandate the trains they import pass particular standards of course China and Russia are smart enough to make sure they have products that can meet those requests.

“There are cases were you need low emissions in China.”

LOL, as if China cares about emissions, let alone pollution. Spend a day in Beijing, heck why not for a week.

There are no turbine trains in use these days. The majority is all diesel, with some commuter trains utilizing a DC network.
    That is not in fact 100 percent true when you go globally. Again here is dougman being USA centric new trains with gas turbine engine with electric drive train are still made in Russia and China and used in many countries. There are cases were you need low emissions.

The majority is all diesel, with some commuter trains utilizing a DC network.
    You will find majority are not all diesel at all.
    Majority are diesel-electric. So nothing like a diesel car in engine construction.

Read down the wikipedia page.
    For years, it was thought by American government scientists who measure air pollution that diesel locomotive engines were relatively clean and emitted far less health-threatening emissions than those of diesel trucks or other vehicles; however, the scientists discovered that because they used faulty estimates of the amount of fuel consumed by diesel locomotives, they grossly understated the amount of pollution generated annually (In Europe, where most major railways have been electrified, there is less concern). After revising their calculations, they concluded that the annual emissions of nitrogen oxide, a major ingredient in smog and acid rain, and soot would be by 2030 nearly twice what they originally assumed.

America Idiots strike again. dougman basically this section of dud maths has resulted the old design diesel power plant that is cheaper to make than a turbine engine being used more in the USA as well as less electrification because it was not believed trains had a environmental problem.

So what you are seeing in the DC rail network is one mother of a stuff up.

“The reality here is a gas turbine engine with electric drive train as used in trains and there are some trucks using it. Always get perfect acceptable emissions ratings.”

LMAO..moron…why would a train have a gas turbine, in addition of an electric drive? You seriously are dope brotha.

kurkosdr sorry to say this is in fact wrong. Part of the reason they cheated on the tests is they had to.

VW and others have cheated because they were finding the old design diesel engines unable to match the turbine engines on emissions and it very costly to have to scrap their old factories and build new ones.

There are complete new like double piston and the like diesel engines that start getting emissions results like turbines but they need completely new or retooled factories to make them.

The whole battery swapping deal was always full of problem.
    kurkosdr not as many as you would first think.
    You are hearing the term self drive cars and trucks these days. So this is in fact answered with a question. Will you in fact own car or will you just rent it on need? Fleets of trucks and cars swapping batteries would not be swapping for someone else battery but in fact for one of their own.

Mercedes Rejects Electric Car Battery Swapping here shows them rejecting the idea.
    But the Mercedes prototypes completely did battery swapping without getting hands dirty and could have been fully automated. There is a reason why Mercedes stopped the idea I will mention it latter.

Both of these are killed by the term fleet management solutions. Like self drive cars you rent. Fleet systems know usage more in advance.

I will now get to the reason why not and the reason why Mercedes gave up.
    The reason against swapping batteries is nothing other than ending up with a massive volume of lithium ion batteries in one place changing. Remember lithium ion batteries that go unstable while changing can explosively chain react.
    So battery swapping stations are impractical unless we can find a safer battery replacement. Battery chemistry is about the only major barrier blocking barrier preventing even limited usage of battery swapping.

This is wrong. Mercedes tried it in real life with a prototype fleet and worked out why it basically not possible with our current tech. So yes the idea has been give a chance to work in real life and it real life it was found to have a major safety hazard bug. Future tech this may change. I would not write battery swapping 100 percent of the table but I would give it a really low probability of it being possible in the next 30 years.

kurkosdr super changing with newer super capacitors/battery hybrid tech may see battery swapping tech return but not for battery swaping but so your capacitor/battery can be removed and provided with more cooling while changing allowing faster charging rates then inserted back in.

Robert
    It really depends what diesel. The turbine generator engines can be designed not requiring a dependable octane of fuel so able to burn gasoline, diesel, metho…. all mixed in one tank and still produce acceptable emissions. So multi fuel turbine/electric hybrids do beat old design diesels that are currently in production.

26. kurkosdr says:

Tesla’s Supercharging works and is a market reality. Without any real safety issues or whatnot. All they have to do is make more Model S vehicles, which they are doing, and the idea of battery swapping will be as dead as SneakersNet. The Model 3, if it becomes a reality, is an extra pushing towards that future.

The whole battery swapping deal was always full of problems… Why should I exchange the new battery of my new 2.000 km-on-the-odometer electric with someone else’s old worn out battery? Who gets to do the wrenching to remove it, which will involve at least getting your hands dirty? Will there be any batteries left on the swapping station? Will they be charged or be all flat because there is a concert nearby and lots of people from around the country came and needed a swap to arrive there?

Battery swapping has always being one of those green dreams that never had a chance to work in real life, much like dependable mass transit everywhere instead of just big cities.

27. kurkosdr wrote, ” It’s all supercharging now. ”

I know a thing or two about batteries and capacitors. If you’re going to drain a battery to travel for a couple of hours on the highway, it doesn’t make sense to sit around waiting for 15m to 1h charging. A driver doesn’t need that many stops. You’d need 3-4h driving capacity to be practical, so you have to charge at >100kw rates. That’s not something that can be made routine/casual/used by unskilled personnel. It could work very well for local fleets/commuters with a set schedule but highway travel in sparsely populated Canada is pushing limits. My welder or stove handles ~10Kw. That’s not enough. More power would certainly have serious risks. I can see poor connections overheating, batteries/charging circuits overheating, sparks, burns, … on top of frustrations of payment for energy wasted as heat.

Folks are having problems with tiny Li-ion batteries catching fire. Imagine problems a million times larger. Imagine riding in front of a bomb in a collision. Gasoline tanks are serious but there are ways to limit rates of leakage/fire. A shorted battery knows no such limits. One can protect circuits with fuses/temperature sensors but a battery can short-circuit internally and the bigger the battery the bigger the mess. There are too many constraints: size, weight, price, capacity, security… I don’t think it’s possible to develop a good enough solution with today’s technology. I think 100-200 mile range is feasible. 500-1000, what we can do with diesel, is not. I’ve often driven between Winnipeg and Edmonton, 700 miles. Along the way is Saskatchewan and in the middle of the night you can drive for hours and not even see a light let alone a fueling station. I can’t see folks choosing battery-power for routine travel in rural areas. Cities and suburbs, sure, but not sparse areas. The capital cost of fueling stations is too high and having such a short range that it has to be considered on every trip is just a burden. With liquid fuel, if you make a mistake and get stranded, anyone can bring a Gerry can of fuel and have you back in action in an hour. With EV, you’re going to need to equip vehicles with chargers and/or have more towing trucks. It’s all too cumbersome and expensive.

What might be practical are PV-assisted vehicles which can extend the range of liquid-fuelled vehicles, a kind of hybrid, so all one would have to decide is to drive a light vehicle in daylight to get by. I often drive 80km/h just to save fuel. Not many are willing to do even that until the price of fuel goes sky-high.

28. dougman wrote, “You are failing to come to terms with the laws of thermodynamics. Nothing is free…”

On the contrary, I’ve studied thermodynamics formally. That’s why I love diesels. They are much more efficient. PV is free, once you’ve recovered enough energy to offset the capital costs. They give 10-15 years of $free electrical power in the ideal case of low cost installation on marginal land. Even in my property, I should get 5-10 years of $free electricity. In remote locations, payback/break-even can be even sooner because the cost of connecting to the grid can be prohibitive, so the competition is diesel at $1/kwh rather than hydro at $0.10/kwh. A small/simple installation can cost only a few dollars per watt without storage. Heat storage is even cheaper as around here rocks are cheap and plentiful. So’s water. If I were building my shack in the bush, PV would be the way to go. I could use wood-burning for quick heat, solar for slow heat and PV for light/power. I’d probably add battery but that’s a huge cost. Perhaps a small battery for IT and lights…

Well, you should be able to get one second-hand with a very steep discount indeed, after the “regulations” fiasco.
    Let me guess, Robert — this is basically the only reason you’re interested in a VW.

30. kurkosdr says:

Nobody does (or plans for) battery-swapping stations anymore. It’s all supercharging now. This is why Tesla is the next Comcast, they are building infrastructure across the US and Western Europe (and presumably Canada soon), which they promise to let others use, but not in writing (only verbally), and without having established a set fee. Meanwhile Tesla drivers will get either free or small-fee supercharging throughout the whole of Tesla’s supercharging network.

Once they get a stronghold on the market, expect Tesla to lobby for stricter rules and more red tape against new stations on the side of the road (much like Comcast lobbies against new broadband deployments), for “safety reasons”, to cut Chevrolet and the rest out of having a big supercharger network.

Obvious you won’t as you do not wear the pants in the house.
    Which is the reason my generation doesn’t get married, or if they do agree to have separate bank accounts. Because without that separation, the stronger personality in the relationship gets to dictate expenses. If both parties are strong personalities, epic fights errupt all the time over whose expenses get priority, while trying to convince each other their personal expenses are non infact personal but necessary for both. Just avoid that point of friction…

‘Anyway, if I have anything to say about it our next vehicle should be diesel. ”

Obvious you won’t as you do not wear the pants in the house.

“That would be cool, sitting around letting Nature “fill her up””

32. TLW is a prime candidate for an electric car. Her daily mileage is rarely over 100 miles. Electrical charges are pretty low here and we could use solar/wind to help out. That would be cool, sitting around letting Nature “fill her up”. For rural highway driving though, it’s hard to beat diesel without some battery-swapping infrastructure. We think little of driving 7-800 miles in a day and stopping three or four times to refuel is hard. I suppose we could think of it as resting drivers…

33. kurkosdr says:

The bad thing with VWgate is that diesels got a bad name despite the fact there is nothing wrong with the technology. Thank all the talking heads on TV branding the scandal “DieselGate” for that. In fact, most diesels with SCR (AdBlue) wouldn’t see an increase in fuel economy or performance if the emissions reductions system was disabled. It would save the customer some DEF, but not benefit the manufacturer’s marketing in any way. It’s only VW’s “lean NOx trap/molecular NOx sponge” thing, which needs to be purged with the use hydrocarbons, that consumes diesel when working.

But thanks to the talking heads, most people think that diesel is fundamentally broken and dirty and all manufacturers cheat in some way.

—-

On more related note, maybe you should refrain from buying a new car for the next 3 years to see how this Tesla Model 3 and Chevrolet Bolt thing will work out.