Last year, TLW bought a load of broken granite rocks. We installed most of them ourselves but a dozen or so required a guy with a bucket to move them around. Today, I moved the last two into place. They had been parked by the patio and were always in the way of the mowers. The first one was painful. The clay was wet underneath the rock and the wheel of my cart sunk up to the axle. I had to jack it up and place plywood underneath. In the process, the rock rolled off the cart… We dragged the cart across the patio with the lawn tractor and then tumbled the rock into place on some landscaping gravel. Of course, TLW wanted the flat side up and closer to the patio… We managed with a few breaks and a lot of sweat.
The second one was more routine. We did have to jack up the cart again but it rolled very nicely onto the patio. Getting it off was tricky, however. The tractor was too big to fit in that corner of the patio with the cart behind so we had to disconnect, move the cart by hand and then back it up onto the gravel with the tractor. Asked whether the rock would avoid hitting the house, I confidently replied, “Sure!” and went ahead. The damned thing came within an inch of the stucco… Time for another break, a long one. We’ll tweak the positioning another time.
Well, with both rocks planted and out of the way and the heat of the day upon us, I looked for other chores. I ordered some seed for cereals: millet, wheat, oats, and barley. I’ll have some postage-stamp plots next year and a real harvest the following year. I did harvest some volunteer wheat in the yard a couple of years ago but I can’t find them, so I’ll buy them. Then the garden/orchard will be full. There just isn’t any more room and TLW won’t allow expansion. The last row of trees in the garden will be at the lowest spot and of wild plums. They are tough enough to be the outer layer of windbreak in winter and they tolerate a wide range of soil and a bit of wetness.