Is Your OS Working For You Or Enslaving You?

“The Redmond software giant confirmed today it will start showing dark blue screens urging people to install the latest version of Windows. The full-screen ads will pop up on Windows 7 and 8.1 desktops from now until July 30, when the free upgrade period ends.”

See Microsoft’s Windows 10 nagware goes FULL SCREEN in final push
I can understand somewhat people patiently dealing with pop-ups from “10” because they asked for it… but these pop-ups are happening on “7” and “8”, operating systems that are supposed to be working for users not M$.

Essentially, folks bought a PC to use, run their applications and browse their networks and M$ has installed malware on them to advertise “10”. Malware. That’s what this is. If the guy who made your OS deliberately installs malware on your PC, what are you going to do?

Escape the slavery I say! Run Debian GNU/Linux or other FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) operating system. Debian promises not to enslave you. That’s worth a lot besides the great desktop/server use it gives you. Let the slaves keep TOOS. Be free!

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Is Your OS Working For You Or Enslaving You?

Just wait ’till it becomes a dependency. Then you have to get the source for all those programs system did will become a dependency of, and modify their source code.
    kurkosdr currently applications with systemd dependency exist and they work without systemd without modify each program. Applications talking to systemd use libsystemd of course. So systemd-shim that replaces the library makes the applications work. So no need to modify dependency on systemd back out of each individual application.

kurkosdr bluray menu thing you must have been under a rock. VLC since 2014 on windows os x and Linux have been able to run unencrypted bluray menus to standard. In fact any bluray disc decoded that does not work in VLC will have trouble on different bluray players out there. Also ODROID-C2 is more powerful cpu and gpu wise than most bluray players out there as well.

Sorry does not work that way. Radeon is slower under Windows compared to Nvidia as well. Problem is Radeon is 32-28nm tech the newest Nvidia is 14nm this makes a huge difference in max performance. So in performance Nvidia is going to win.

There are two interesting benchmarks
    This is Windows 10 vs Ubuntu. Radeon with closed source driver there is no major difference between Windows and Linux. With open source drivers it slower.
    Now this is Linux vs Linux include power usage per frame. This gets interesting the open source driver on average use less power per frame. Also the broader benchmark set you see there are cases where the open source linux Radeon driver is faster than the closed source linux driver and faster than Windows. So we are at the point that the open source linux driver has wins, Closed source linux driver has wins and Windows driver has wins when it comes to Radeon.

Do remember under Linux it is possible to use the open source radeon driver at the same time as the closed source radeon driver by having application use what ever one suits it best.

kurkosdr please note these are 2016 benchmarks. This year the open source Radeon driver has effectively caught up to it closed source side. If you are talking the means to have the highest over all performance out of a Radeon on average it current goes to Linux using modern card that uses a unified kernel driver so able to use both the closed source and open source at the same time. This has changed since 2015.

Now question is how far behind will Intel and Nvidia open source drivers be at catching up. In some areas not very far behind at all.

Lot of issue these days is basically provable poor ported game engine. This is kinda clear when the game under performs no matter the graphics card on Linux uses yet magically improves when you run the same game in wine. Yes wine has overhead so it should be slower than native.

There is some issues due with Radeon with different power usage pattern between open source and closed source. This does leave a horible problem has the Open source Radeon coders found a more power effective method of driving the Radeon cards this is a time will tell thing. AMD is talking about open source there graphics control panel for all we know this might allow options to be tweaked so closing up the difference as well.

I just upgraded to kernel 4.6 and upgraded to Linux Mint 18. Not one single issues, not one!

Meanwhile: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/fixing-windows-10-activation-problems-after-a-hardware-upgrade/

LMAO… poor souls.

I can swap hardware components as I freely choose, none of this activation silliness.

3. kurkosdr wrote, “how can you be sure you won’t have driver issues (on Android or GNU/Linux) when you try this unintegrated DIY thing that is the C2, like I had with the Odroid U3?”

Uh, lots of people are running it with no problems at all. It seems to be as fast as Beast anyway which is all I need to a be a new thin client of Beast.

4. kurkosdr says:

system did = systemd

5. kurkosdr says:

My choice for client is decent and only $40USD, the Odroid-C2.

And how can you be sure you won’t have driver issues (on Android or GNU/Linux) when you try this unintegrated DIY thing that is the C2, like I had with the Odroid U3?

Anyway, I don’t understand how this “modify source code” has any value than pure theoretical. Can you make a Raderon work as well as an Nvidia card in GNU/Linux, with the Radeon source code being all open and stuff? Can you do the same for Intel GPUs? (make them run as well as an Nvidia card with proprietary drivers) No? You don’t have the expertise to? Then what is them source offering you besides some smug feel-goodism. Can you make VLC play (unencrypted) Blu-Rays, with menus and stuff? No? Do you know anyone who can and is willing? Then what exactly does possesion of the source code give you, compared to -say- PowerDVD?

6. kurkosdr wrote, “When it comes to the Raspberry Pi, I heard some people are buying standalone DTS decoders because the damn thing has a CPU so weak that it can’t even decode DTS audio in software.”

That’s why I’m not buying RPi. Most of those cheap clients are rather limited CPUs. My choice for server has multi-MB cache and real RAM. My choice for client is decent and only $40USD, the Odroid-C2. It definitely can do the usual desktop stuff especially as a client of Beast IV. I can decode on Beast and stream to the client over gigabit Ethernet with no issues.

7. Ivan wrote, “Debian is enslaving you to systemd.”

Systemd is staying out of my way lately. As long as it does so, I’m not too concerned. I expect systemd will be tamed eventually. It’s hard to imagine FLOSS enslaving anyone. After all we can tweak the source code or we can use sysvinit at least for now. With my new system and all its RAM I doubt having gazillions more idling processes will do any harm.

8. kurkosdr says:

Sorry, Debian is enslaving you to systemd. Windows 10 is worth escaping from that clusterfsck.

And anyone who happens to hate systemd (and PulseAudio) and also hates Windows can just buy a Mac, a Chromebook (now that the PlayStore is coming to it) or, at the very least, attach a keyboard to an Android tablet or to an iPad. Each and every of those solutions is running an integrated OS which actually works with the hardware it runs on. Which of course means no PulseAudio volume bugs (where you get only 3 notches of audio levels), no X.org breaking your proprietary drivers, no systemd headaches, no nothing. Apple and Google just swooped in and capitalized on whatever gap Microsoft left, by offering well-integrated, tested solutions. The FOSStard dream of people happily experimenting with Linux DIY is dead.

I once made the mistake of going the DIY route, by buying an Odroid U3, just to see what all that drooling I was reading in forums about DIY Linux electronics was all about. Well, the Android ROM shipped with the thing was a poorly integrated mess with stuttering video playback once video acceleration was enabled in Kodi, and was aso an old Android version (so much about “the freedom to blah blah…”). When it comes to the Raspberry Pi, I heard some people are buying standalone DTS decoders because the damn thing has a CPU so weak that it can’t even decode DTS audio in software. And that the Kodi UI has to be rendered at 720p. What… the… f…

Meanwhile, my Nexus Player is the best TV box I ‘ve ever experienced. And there is always the NUC route if you want more.

Soon, Linux without Google will be a curiosity only the most ungroomed , cheetos-infested beards encounter in real-life…

Never10 – Software you must download, to make your other software work.

10. Ivan says: