Firefox 48! Hallelujah!

“we’re using project Electrolysis to split Firefox into a UI process and a content process. Splitting UI from content means that when a web page is devouring your computer’s processor, your tabs and buttons and menus won’t lock up too.”

See Firefox 48 Beta, Release, and E10S
It’s about time! Firefox is a great browser already but it too often loses control on certain web-pages and has to be killed. The idea that different pages and the UI might be different processes opens the door to much better behaviour.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Firefox 48! Hallelujah!

1. oiaohm wrote, “More people than edge or internet explorer by usage numbers have had the intention of using firefox.”

According to StatCounter, in the last 7 days, globally:

• FireFox – 14.15%
    • Internet Exploder – 10.92%
    • Edge – 2.5%

I think FireFox is chosen by more by a small margin. Chrome Browser obviously has huge share. We use it occasionally, as when FireFox’s Flash plugin is not working, or some particular page craps out. Diversity is good. Using anything from M$ is a big risk, especially when you have to take their whole OS and its intrusive EULA in order to do so. I find it interesting that apparently a large number of users of TOOS actually make the effort to switch browsers. I’m not sure what that means because if folks were dissatisfied with the browser for whatever reason why aren’t they switching the OS when there is an order of magnitude more reason to do that? Perhaps it’s just following the crowd. If most associates use TOOS and FireFox or Chrome then there is social pressure to conform to that custom. If that is the motivator, how did it start? The waves of malware? The slowing down? BSODs or freezing? I just don’t know because it’s been years since I willingly used IE. I know professionals who abhor IE because of all the “special” treatment it takes to make web pages that render nicely on all browsers and IE-isms are all over the web. Even M$ seems to be annoyed by that because they brought forth Edge even before IE was dead. They may actually be trying to undo some of the harm they’ve done to the web. If so, good on them, but it will take a generation to undo the social memories, guys like me dying off…

Did they fix the problem with loading javascript scripts blocking scrolling, or I stil have to feel like I instantly downgraded to a Pentium 75MHz when I switch from Chrome to Firefox?
    Dr Loser splitting content and ui into independent processors does in fact fix that as of 48.

You did not read what 48 fixed before forwards posting.

kurkosdr development branch has not had that issue for 18 months but due to all content sharing still the same process 1 tab can still dominate the others from rendering correctly.

Because practically nobody has had the slightest intention of using Firefox for the last several years.

3. Dr Loser says:

Indeed, Dog-Brain. It was, as you say, a very long time.

Netscape 5 (if I have this right) was projected for Open Source release in 1998. Various corporate messes ensued, and what I think we can agree was the initial version of Mozilla Firefox was released to Beta in 2002. The first version that was acceptably usable (ie was downloaded by millions of people, including me) was released in November 2004.

(You can look up the details on Jamie Zawinski’s site.)

That’s basically six years of pissing into the wind. And this from the mob who practically coined the idea of “Internet time.”

Ironic, innit? “Internet time” came back and bit the fools in the bollocks.

4. Dr Loser says:

Kurks, Kurks … now you’re demanding feature creep.

FLOSS software is all nice and clean and agile. FLOSS software does not do “feature creep.”

It’s not been historically adept at doing “features,” in fact.

5. Dr Loser says:

Huh? You really don’t understand what it means?

I can parse the basic syntax, grammar, and vocabulary, yes, Me Luv.

Where I fail is on the semantics.

If there is a significant meaning here, then:
    * To whom does that meaning apply?
    * What is the quantifiable significance of that meaning?
    * Is the gap between pre-Rapture (release of Firefox 47) and post-Rapture (release of Firefox 48) a source of worry in some way?

“It’s about time” would appear to imply the last of these points. I’d be interested in a detailed explanation of why, though.

6. luvr says:

“It’s about time?” What does that mean?

Huh? You really don’t understand what it means? 🙂 🙂 🙂

Really Dr Loser your being an idiot for the about time comment it had to be working somewhere for a while.

Chrome browser uses multi process separation and has from the first version. Firefox at 48 at long last implemented 1 part of this. UI in one process content in second process still completely poor.

“It’s about time?” What does that mean? Were you not totally satisfied with Firefox 1 thru 47?
    Those running developer branch firefox have had the feature in 48 beta for 18 months so far. Yes the ALPHA. Development branch has had chrome browser like process per tab for over 9 months now.

Basically finally is about how down right long its taken it to get out the door. The QA process on these change is being a true bear.

Re: I use Edge as a PDF reader. Does that count?

Obviously your a Windows Idiot.

9. kurkosdr says:

and M$ comes out with Edge which no one uses

I use Edge as a PDF reader. Does that count?

10. kurkosdr says:

Well lets see, first came Netscape but M$ got pissed and built IE and displaced it. Netscape merged into Firefox grew for a VERY long time offering an alternate solution over virus prone IE.

Now Chrome comes along and supplants everyone, IE is left for dead and M$ comes out with Edge which no one uses, and Chrome along with Firefox are the leaders in internet browsers.

12. Dr Loser says:

Firefox 48 Beta, please. Not that anybody ever notices the difference, where Firefox is concerned.