M$ Kicks Second Most Loyal Users In The Teeth

“Ex-professional Counter Strike player turned full-time streamer Erik Flom was rudely interrupted mid-game and live on Twitch by Windows 10 automatically installing on his PC.”

See Windows 10 updates are now ruining pro-gaming streams
Want to play the fanciest games on your hot new PC running That Other OS? What if that OS interrupted your game to “update” without permission?

Oh-oh! That leaves only one segment of PC-dom still loyal to M$, business. Everyone else is using */Linux to be free of M$ at last. Oh, wait, business is switching to OS-agnostic web-applications. That leaves no one left to fund Bill’s wet dream.

I had that gamer’s nightmare play out in my classrooms many times over a decade: BSOD’s galore, failure to boot, slowing down, malware, and, yes, once the damned thing interrupted my presentation to announce it would take over my PC in fifteen minutes. I thought I had the time but I didn’t. I paved that PC over with GNU/Linux minutes after the students left. If you want to run your PC instead of having M$ run your life, I suggest you install Debian GNU/Linux today.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to M$ Kicks Second Most Loyal Users In The Teeth

1. Dr Loser wrote, “99.999% of those Admins coped perfectly well with Patch Tuesday.”

See Reboot Wednesday: Yesterday’s Patch Tuesday Aftermath

These guys did their reboots the next day. Don’t I get any points for updating the same day? I was worried the bad guys would have a whole day to infect our systems. The malware-artists are that fast: zero-day patches result in infected PCs within hours. I was also teaching during the day. It made my Patch Tuesdays very hectic. On average about 5% machines would not update properly without a reminder. I didn’t need the aggravation. The guy I replaced advised not updating at all just to avoid problems.

2. DrLoser wrote, “How’s that systemd thing working for ya”?

It’s usually staying out of my way but last week we had a power-failure and Beast would not boot and systemd was no help at all. There were a bunch of messages about this or that failing with absolutely no diagnostic. I had to restart everything manually right from fscking file-systems to starting services including the display. Next reboot with my latest kernel was absolutely normal. systemd is disgustingly rigid in controlling my system. I’d replace it in an instant if Debian were not going down that garden path. It’s clearly a single point of failure.

3. DrLoser wrote, “By the way, I don’t recommend over-clocking a Linux system to 4.2GHz, either.

Not a problem with ARM chips, of course, because they can’t get anywhere near that clock speed under any circumstances.”

Pretty bald innuendo there. I’ve personally run GNU/Linux on servers with 3.2gHz clockspeed. What the Hell does the clockspeed have to do about anything? ARM does have some ~3gHz devices but they are rare because they just run down batteries faster. The now ancient AMD Opteron A1170 ran at 2gHz. With modern resolutions it could probably get close to 4gHz. Who cares? It’s cores X gHz and TDP that matter not gHz. The Cavium device reached 2.5gHz for a bunch of cores. The ProLiant M400 modules run at 2.4gHz. There isn’t anything other than power saving that limits ARMed devices to ~1gHz. How fast do you think ARM can go at ~10nm if they can do that at 28nm? If the power law is f2 then 4gHz is reachable if anyone needs it.

4. DrLoser wrote, ” What did you use as a firewall, and where did you site it, and what anti-virus did you employ?”

I’ve used several items of each of those on servers and PCs. At several schools where I worked GNU/Linux was used as the server/router/firewall before I arrived. Others used what M$ provided plus various anti-malwares and white/black lists. I arrived at one school that had neither firewall nor anti-malware working. They did not even have a server running. Stone Age… Of course have the PCs running TOOS were dead. Fortunately GNU/Linux saved them.

5. Dr Loser says:

Not strictly relevant, Robert, but since you mentioned Patch Tuesday … and since you’ve banged on about malware-infected Windows desktops in schools in the past …

Just wondering. What did you use as a firewall, and where did you site it, and what anti-virus did you employ?

6. Dr Loser says:

Of course the Doctor cannot argue over the Errrr… of Win-Dohs in this regard.

Of course the Dog Brain cannot be bothered to analyse the issue. Here we go then. On your cite, Dougie:

It appears to be an issue with over-clocking. It may not be. Forums like this are very noisy. But that would be my first guess, given the context.

The solution is on around page 3.

Change your Minimum Processor State to a lower value of your choice (I set mine right to 0)
    Since making this change and writing this post my machine has been running without randomly rebooting for over 36hrs now.

Glad to be of service. By the way, I don’t recommend over-clocking a Linux system to 4.2GHz, either.

7. Dr Loser says:

But I hate to dwell on your dismal incompetent past, Robert.

Let us dwell on your dismal incompetent present.

How’s that systemd thing working for ya?

8. Dr Loser says:

As always, Robert, the rejoinder is that Patch Tuesday affected tens of millions of sites with hundreds of thousands of administrators.

99.999% of those Admins coped perfectly well with Patch Tuesday.

You did not.

How does it feel to be so comprehensively incompetent that you don’t even manage the bottom sixth sigma of the bell curve?

9. Dr Loser says:

Nuff said…..

Not really. It’s not relevant either to the OP or to the general flow of conversation.

Did your mother rear you as a pointless imbecile, lpbbear, or did you pick up the habit all on your own?

10. Deaf Spy says:

It will only accelerate the move to Steam

Yeah, right. 🙂 I see how AAA-producing studios are flocking to some half-assed implementation of OpenGL with totally poor drivers behind to write their games to it.

Ram, you still have a job unfinished. Show me an AAA title, based on client-server technology, where the client is a thin client, and all graphics are rendered on the server. You said there are such, now time to prove your claims. Or join the sad team of Dog and Fifi.

11. kurkosdr wrote, “just give us a reasonable 24 hour window Redmond morons!”

Yep. I remember Patch Tuesdays when I administered ~100PCs with TOOS on client and server. Patches were issued around 0600 in Redmond which was the middle of the workday where I lived. So, I tried to update clients in the workday and usually a small percentage did not take and had to be hunted down. The servers had to wait until lunch to avoid disrupting users and it was a crapshoot. Fairly often one or another server would hang on the reboot needing a console to be attached to hold its hand. Damned nuisance… GNU/Linux is so much more fun because you can usually update at your leisure and reboot if/when necessary. I love how you can just update to the latest version usually without going through all the intermediate updates. That’s a crime against humanity the way M$ does it. Several times I updated XP SP1 to XP SP3 and wasted hours doing so. The result was slower computers too…

12. kurkosdr wrote, “What do you do when a kernel vulnerability, or an X.org vulnerability is discovered?”

I reboot for Linux but restart X. I did the latter today when I rebuilt the kernel on Beast. When Beast rebooted to replace its kernel, TLW’s thin client lost its X server. It was simple to SSH in and restart X. So I did not need to reboot her client PC. There are ways to reload Linux without rebooting but I don’t bother with them.

Re: What do you do when a kernel vulnerability, or an X.org vulnerability is discovered? Linux doesn’t tell you it needs reboots, but the unpatched code still runs in memory. So it needs reboots. Do I need to repost the relevant TMR links and screenshots?

Like I said. No one is “forced”….you over-looked the obvious in what I stated. My kindle works fine, and it is running some variant of Linux kernel 2.6

**shrug** Totally blows for Windows losers.. I laugh at thee.

14. kurkosdr says:

Linux does not force you to upgrade or mandate stupid restarts to install software.

O really? What do you do when a kernel vulnerability, or an X.org vulnerability is discovered? Linux doesn’t tell you it needs reboots, but the unpatched code still runs in memory. So it needs reboots. Do I need to repost the relevant TMR links and screenshots?

It’s not the need for reboot that’s the problem (show me a mainstream OS that doesn’t force reboots for security patches otherwise you are dogbrain). It’s Microsoft not letting you postpone reboots and dropping humongous updates as important, without any warning. Ideally, humongous updates would be released immediately after patch Tuesday, contain no security fixes for vulns (that’s what smaller patches are for) and users would receive a warning that they have ’till next patch Tuesday to install them. But you know… hipsters. Their belief that your time is infinite and that you live to serve the computer rivals only the one of unix neckbeards.

15. kurkosdr says:

beyond patches = beyond security patches

16. kurkosdr says:

What if that OS interrupted your game to “update” without permission?

I would feel saddened by the fact that a bunch of utter imbecile hipsters (Nadella and his ilk) have inserted glaring flaws in an once trusty operating system.

The current situation with updating is shit. Not only Microsoft gives you no control over updates, but they feel compelled to drop humongous upgrades as if they are nothing. I once had the KB3000850 be dropped in my dad’s laptop just when he wanted to shut the laptop down and pack it, and of course Windows Update took it’s sweet 30 minutes to install. Needless to say, he wasn’t happy about it.

Of course, that KB pales in comparison to Update 1 for Windows 10 which takes anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours to make itself home in your computer. Or the future Redstone. Funny thing is that many businesses suspend their systems instead of a shutting themdown, so employees arrive the next morning, only to be paid to watch Windows 10’s spinning thingie while it Updates/Redstones itself. Even if those things are necessary, just give us a reasonable 24 hour window Redmond morons!

Nah… just stay with Windows 7. It has a good amount of compatibility with the software and hardware ecosystem (unlike Desktop Linux), and ironically, Microsoft’s attempts to kill it by not giving any updates beyond patches help it stay the good ol’ Windows we loved, and hence retain it’s following of people who want a computer that doesn’t surprise them with 2-hour reboot-a-thons.

Of course the Doctor cannot argue over the Errrr… of Win-Dohs in this regard.

Gosh, reading through the pile of posts in there makes one believe that are back on Windows 98 or some other lame derivative of Windows.

~ $ uptime
    20:25:45 up 118 days, 15:46, 1 user, load average: 0.20, 0.30, 0.39

Ahhhhhh… life is good.

18. Dr Loser says:

BTW, you can run Steam and CounterStrike on Linux these days.

Good to see you’re up with da Hood, Dog-Brain.

Not sure why you’ve waited ten years to announce this fantastic news, though.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

BTW, you can run Steam and CounterStrike on Linux these days.