OMG! M$ Ships Debian GNU/Linux!!!?!

“Microsoft has today released a homegrown open-source operating system, based on Debian GNU/Linux, that runs on network switches.

SONiC is available for download now from Microsoft’s Azure GitHub repo under a mix of open-source licenses including the GNU GPL and the Apache license.”

See Microsoft has released a Debian Linux switch OS. Repeat, a Debian Linux switch operating system
I think someone once wrote on this blog that M$ would sooner or later distribute GNU/Linux. It’s today. It’s Debian GNU/Linux. OMG!

Of course, they should have done that ~20 years ago, but it’s better late than never. If they hadn’t been so busy trying to build a monopoly they might have given customers what they really wanted all along, software that works.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to OMG! M$ Ships Debian GNU/Linux!!!?!

1. antifanboy wrote, “you kinda expect him to include switches when talking about Desktops as they are part of thin-client desktop solutions.”

Of course, I’ve done that. TLW uses a 100mbits/s NIC in her thin client and we plan to go gigabit/s and 802.11/n everywhere this year, a step up. I have a 24+2 switch now and swap the gigabit/s connection as needed. Gigabit/s switches are very inexpensive these days, somewhat less than $10 per port, down to about $4CDN per port. I’ll probably buy one about Q3 when I buy a bunch of ARMed computers for my LAN. My pension investment portfolio is up this morning enough to pay for the clients and a switch. Beast has to go. It’s 45nm/95W TDP and only 4gB. It’s time for a refresh and I want to leave Intel in the dust. Thin clients are here to stay because they work so well.

2. antifanboy says:

“Really does a motherboard or hard-drive exactly look like a desktop. No it does not it just another part that makes a solution to provide desktop interfaces to end users. Since Pogson talked about thin-clients so much you kinda expect him to include switches when talking about Desktops as they are part of thin-client desktop solutions.”

Read my lips: a ethernet switch is NOT a desktop!

3. Deaf Spy wrote, “ARM left for low-end tv boxes only.”

Nonsense. There are a huge variety of ARMed motherboards out there ranging from really cheap settop boxes to HPC server modules. How long did it take Intel to deliver quad-core CPUs? Decades. ARM is doing it in just a few years. It does take time to design, build and test the chips and motherboards. Developers are tumbling over themselves to get these things to market. They started with what’s most common, controllers and DIY types, but they’ve been working a few years on proper servers and in between. I’d bet 2016 will see my system going to ARM. I do need to make an investment in IT this year and I don’t need Intel nor M$ involved. I’m visiting my banker today to arrange some transfers of funds and one of the segments will be for IT but that comes after grass-seed, an alternator and paying bills. My main pension income fund is up 17% since I took it over last June and another smaller one is up 33% in the last month. I have the funds. I could afford one of the server boards but I think I will do better waiting a few months. Beast can last that long.

4. Deaf Spy says:

And this is where it ends. Mobile. Question is for how long, because I easily imagine that win will withdraw on for low-level mobile and embedded devices.

Intel is already winning back tablets and small-cheap computers (ah, Robert’s favourites). If you browse around, most tablets and small thingies are now based on Atoms, with ARM left for low-end tv boxes only.

Never wake a sleeping dragon, wise men have it. 🙂

antifanboy switch like that are used in some combination viop and thin-client deployments.

Since when did a ethernet switch somehow get to be a desktop?
    Ethernet switch is a part that makes a desktop solution using thin or thick network deployed desktops. Poorly performing network switch poorly performing thin or thick network deployments.

Does this look anything like a desktop, or has Pogson and his ilk really have lost thier minds?!

Really if anyone here has lost their mind it you antifanboy. You are nit picking of something that is not correct to both nit picking over.

6. antifanboy says:

Since when did a ethernet switch somehow get to be a desktop?

John Doe
    Now finally we will have ctrl-alt-del in linux?!
    Yawn. If you had set SAK value in Linux kernel you could have had that for the past 20 years. Linux users more preferred either Ctrl-alt-backspace or Ctrl-alt-pause/break for SAK setting for some reason.

8. John Doe wrote, “we will have ctrl-alt-del in linux”

Chuckle. I remember that one… Those keys weren’t worn as badly as the vowels but they were used way too often.

9. John Doe says:

Now finally we will have ctrl-alt-del in linux?!

Deaf Spy
    Where does the desktop come in the whole thing?
    When looking at thin-clients and thick-clients anything that can improve switch performance and security is great for those kinds of deployments.

Ok I can see how it to the desktop model that the OS has to be installed on the local computers harddrive/ssd how switch work would not appear that related but this is not the Linux Desktop required model for the OS to be installed in every machine locally. Network hardware and Desktop is kinda linked due to the deployment options for Linux Based solutions.

Interesting enough thinking virtual studio usage of LLVM this solution is built with gcc based tools. It going to be interesting to see what complier is in fact used to build SQL Server.

11. Deaf Spy says:

runs on network switches.

Where does the desktop come in the whole thing?

12. kurkosdr says:

(let’s see if it happens in Firefox too)

13. kurkosdr says:

WTF, something is eating the i’s out of my posts…. Pogson, what have you done again?

14. kurkosdr says:

Microsoft attempting to “IBM reinvent” themselves or just throwing out some free gifts?

PS: Microsoft shipped Linux software, Sony saved us from further DRM hell (aka Xbox One), people don’t want the newest Windows even if it’s given out as a free upgrade but are willing to pay top dollar for the latest version of some Linux OS in the form of smartphone upgrades, and Chipzilla (aka Intel) is getting beaten by smaller companies like Qualcomm and ARM (at least in mobile). What a time for tech…

15. kurkosdr says:

PS: Microsoft shipped Linux software, Sony saved us from further DRM hell (aka Xbox One), people don’t want the newest Windows even if it’s given out as a free upgrade but are willing to pay top dollar for the latest version of some Linux OS in the form of smartphone upgrades, and Chipzilla (Intel) is getting beaten by smaller companies like Qualcomm and ARM (at least in mobile). What a time for tech…

The spyware NSA frendly edton…
    Agent_Smith could be until the what has been added has been inspected we cannot be sure.

17. Agent_Smith wrote, “what the winblow$ fanbois will say ?”

I imagine they will say it’s not the desktop variety… which is irrelevant. It’s still FLOSS and since it’s Debian, I can probably add a desktop if I choose to do so. The licence allows that, not that I’d trust M$ on my desktop.

18. Agent_Smith says:

Oh… A MS Debian ??? Jeezus… The spyware NSA friendly edition…
    Now, what the winblow$ fanbois will say ?