Got Control Of Your PC?

“According to a report by Woody Leonhard at InfoWorld, the newest version of the KB3035583 update includes a background process which scans the system’s Windows Registry twice a day to see if the values for the four aforementioned registry inputs were manually edited to disable the upgrade prompt. If they were, the process will alter the values, silently re-download the Windows 10 installation files (about 6 GB in total), and prompt the user to upgrade.”

See ‘Get Windows 10’ Turns Itself On and Nags Win 7 and 8.1 Users Twice a Day
If I decide that my computer should behave this way instead of that, it happens my way. I run Debian GNU/Linux. It’s not out to get me. Debian has a “social contract” that commits the organization to work for me and not against me. Besides, GNU/Linux is Free Software so I always have the right to run, examine, modify and distribute the software so even if Debian gets out of line, I still remain in control of my PC instead of being controlled by it.

Those slaves who accept that M$ should run their PC deserve better IT. They should give GNU/Linux a try. It worked for me since the day I first tried it. It will work for you.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Got Control Of Your PC?

More the same.

Very true, Dog-Brain. Same old schtick. Same same see same everywhere same.

Just for once in your pitiful and totally futile life, Dougie, have you considered this novel concept called “thinking for yourself?”

No? Oh well. Keep on sloganizing then.

Hibernation or whatever that thing you are theoretically doing going well for you, Dog-Brain?

I do so fervently hope that it is. Why, at the end of it, you might end up vaguely resembling a hominid.

2. kurkosdr says:

Nothing much of worth comes out of Redmond these days.

BTW, what happened to Hololens? Oculus VR already shipped their first consumer product available at for pre-order and a release date of 28th March 2016. Hololens is still a developer kit, with no concrete release date.

You ‘d expect that with Microsoft having billions in the bank, they would jump at the new market and pour a ton of resources to capture the new market.

Microsoft is the new Nokia. As much reactive as reactive gets.

Straw men?

M$ is a big, well WAS a large purveyor of straw-men to attack its competition, but lo’ and behold, no matter what M$ does these days, it always comes back and bites them in the ass later.

One can read all about in “Competition, Innovation and the Microsoft Monopoly: Antitrust in the Digital Marketplace – Proceedings of a conference held by The Progress & Freedom Foundation in Washington, DC February 5, 1998

Nothing much of worth comes out of Redmond these days. About all they can do is spend money, acquire other software with no clear and decisive direction on how best to utilize them.

4. DrLoser repeated, “something that actually works.”

LibreOffice works well. Using Version: 5.0.4.2 here.

Oh, you mean like M$’s stuff from the 1980s?

I’m going to take a wild guess here, Robert.

How large do you wish to build your straw man here?

Even the German comments are gone.

Hallelujah! Not that anybody cares, one way or the other.

Thing is, Robert, in real life, right now, 2016, every single alternative to M$ Word sucks medium sized roughly spherical parts of donkeys.

Personally, I would rather this is not so. I have investigated the alternatives. I have even spent money on a couple of them (Kingsoft and Textmaker).

My conclusion is that I can spend a little bit of money, say $20 or so, and get a far more professional level of application.

Or I can spend, let’s see, $99 per year — I think this covers a five person licence — and get something that actually works.

Gee. Even if I can’t find four other people who need this thing, Robert … I’m still gonna be paying $99 per year for something that actually works.

Yep, hows that control of your M$ software doing for ya?

WFM, Dog-Brain. How is your “unofficial, it’s not like nobody would buy my crap, this is really seriously honest guvnor a Sabbatical” period of repose going for ya?

Yep, hows that control of your M$ software doing for ya?

M$ stop’s offering security patches for Windows 8 and ends support for versions 8, 9 and 10 of Internet Explorer.

Meh.

9. Wizard Emeritus says:

“It has been tweaked endlessly and fitted with tons of filters and features. Even the German comments are gone.”

And how much of what was “done” amounted to little more than re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic. The UI still feels like a the same long obsolete version of Office that
    the original StarOffice emulated. And the the Microsoft access clone has barely gotten to Access version 2.0 functionality.

And I also note that you have avoided answering my post. Are you that cowardly Robert Pogson?

10. kurkosdr wrote, “rely to a patched-up office suite from the early 2000s (StarOffice)”.

Oh, you mean like M$’s stuff from the 1980s? LibreOffice has very little of StarOffice left. It has been tweaked endlessly and fitted with tons of filters and features. Even the German comments are gone.

11. kurkosdr says:

An OS doesn’r need to run MS Office, but it needs enough developer/ISV mindshare to encourage the development of good offive suite for it, instead of having to rely to a patched-up office suite from the early 2000s (StarOffice)

12. Wizard Emeritus says:

“That’s a strange measure of value for an OS. .”

No its not Robert Pogson. For far more people that you will acknowledge, the only value of an OS is as a platform for the applications that one requires to get work done. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, there are many people who do not wish to “make do” with “good enough” We are not all cheapskates who are willing to stop working and start tinkering and/or begging for help in community forums when one of the “good enough” pieces of software that you so love because it costs nothing burps in the middle of trying to get things done. I have done my time attempting to work with FOSS, and I can tell you that It is also many times far easier to be able to pay for a piece of software with a real company with real support behind it.

And please spare me the

13. Wizard Emeritus wrote, “Does Linux run Microsoft Office… No? then it is worthless to me.”

That’s a strange measure of value for an OS. Meanwhile billions of users enjoy Android/Linux and millions enjoy GNU/Linux for full value. Indeed GNU/Linux can run M$’s office suite. I just don’t understand why when 100million+ find LibreOffice satisfactory and likely even more like OpenOffice.org, both fully functioning office suites uncorrupted by M$.

14. Wizard Emeritus says:

“Those slaves who accept that M$ should run their PC deserve better IT.”

A cheapskate like you who shortchanges his own wife’s IT has no business calling those who say thanks but no thanks to his posts “slaves”. The world is capable of making its own decisions without Robert Pogson’s insulting opinions of its choices.

” They should give GNU/Linux a try. It worked for me since the day I first tried it. It will work for you.”

Does Linux run Microsoft Office, does it run any of my software? No? then it is worthless to me. Unlike Robert Pogson I do not waste my time tinkering with cheap crap to make it work – I actually use my computer for tasks other than what Robert Pogson refers to so arrogantly as “point, click and Gawk”

15. Wizard Emeritus says:

“At least providing a cloud is a service compared to distributing malware which was M$’s old business model.”

Opinion masquerading as fact. Keep it up Robert Pogson, you only enhance your reputation as “eccentric”.

16. kurkosdr says:

is experience = is experiencing

17. kurkosdr says:

What annoys me particularly is that Richard Stallman was right about Secure Boot. When you purchase a piece of software, it is your right to modify it as you see fit, under the first-sale doctrine. Sure, you don’t get access to the blueprints aka the source (a convenience, not a necessity to modify the software) and you don’t get the right to to distribute modified copies (you can distribute the patcher though), but you CAN modify the software.

Not so with Secure Boot.

What’s the exit strategy?
    -GNU/Linux which has being fragmented over warring factions and is experience a massive dis-investment in the client-side? (remember when Canonical made quarterly announcements about how they are going to Mir this, Touchify that, enter this new market? Notice how silent they are the last 12 months?)
    -Jump to MacOS X (again) at a great price assuming Apple won’t do the same?
    -Wait for the Android/ChromeOS merge Google has been promising?
    -Install Windows 7 and bet the farm on sweet sweet long term security support?

IMO only option 4 is pallatable.

18. kurkosdr says:

When you partner up with M$, not only do you give up the keys but you relinquish control of the home.

For Windows 7 and 8.x: Not true

For Windows 10: … plus some control of your anus. This agreement describes certain legal rights over your anus. You may have other rights under the laws of your country. You may also have rights with respect to the party from whom you acquired the software and the anus.

Ramming Windows 10 down everyone’s throat is not the way to do it.

20. kurkosdr says:

The problem of course being that the Windows ecosystem was not built that way, aka give the OS vendor all the power and the benefit. Just look how Sony’s support tool told users to not upgrade to Windows 10, or how some GPUs from AMD are not working right or how some win32 apps vanished after a Windows 10 “update”. The Windows ecosystem was made so the OEM takes the OS and adds value-added bits to it (though not extensively modify it like Android so the OS vendor can do long term security support) and then have the peripheral vendors add more value to it in the form of feature-rich proprietary drivers and accessory gizmos.

The Satya Nadella dream of converting our PCs into Macs where the OS vendor drops the binary of the OS and it just fits into the hardware, no OEM action or user action required, is not what Windows is.

It’s also the reason win32 apps still support Windows 7 (and in most cases Vista), because in Windows, once the system is built, is built. Only gamers and 14-year olds with too much time in their hands do “in place upgrades” or rebuilds.

21. kurkosdr wrote, “why is Microsoft so pressy when it comes to upgrading Windows 7 users to Windows 10?”

It’s about power. In the past M$ recruited OEMs and retailers to force upgrades of Wintel. This is about cutting out the middlemen so that M$ will have all the power and reap all the benefit. It’s about keeping more of the take in a declining monopoly. If M$ can do that their revenues won’t decline as much as the OEMs. From the user’s standpoint it’s a single point of enslavement. Really, if most users of PCs have the choice of everything stopping tomorrow or paying M$ they will pay M$. I imagine they will be willing to pay M$ more than they used to pay retailers and OEMs and M$. At the same time M$ is forcing people to use “the cloud” so they will milk folks with even more “service”. At least providing a cloud is a service compared to distributing malware which was M$’s old business model.

22. kurkosdr says:

Seriously, why is Microsoft so pressy when it comes to upgrading Windows 7 users to Windows 10? I understand trying to upgrade Windows 8.x users, those are mostly new systems, so let’s upgrade them to the latest version… but Windows 7 PCs?

-Is it because they still have mobile ambitions and “Metro will come and save the day if we put it infront of many eyes” (or something similar)? (Metro-fy all the things!)

-Is it because they have given up on their mobile ambitions, but “here is a win32 cow that begs to be milked, who is in for buying Windows 10 as-a-service”?

Seriously, I can’t decide which of the two, because I can’t decide what is worse.

PS: never mind that when something is offered as-a-service, you get 24-hours support or your money back instead of digging into forums, so if Windows does become as-a-service, let’s see if they provide that.