The Evils Of M$ Are Now In The Faces Of Ordinary Users – How Will They Respond?

“It seems that Microsoft is desperate to get laggards who are still running Windows 7 and Windows 8 onto Windows 10, but there’s a fine line between being enthusiastic about a new operating system and behaving like you own every PC running Windows, and I think that in this case that line has been crossed.”

See Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out
Yes. Years ago when I first blogged about the evils of M$ I was criticized for being paranoid/deluded/nuts… Now, M$ is hurting individual users deliberately and publicly. They are rats climbing over each other trying to get off a sinking ship. They will do anything to survive/maintain lock-in and the slaves can no longer be under the illusion that they are free.

To really be free those users should switch to GNU/Linux, an operating system cooperatively developed for the world and designed to remain free by the terms of simple licences like the GPL. Users have the right to use, examine, modify and distribute the software unlike M$’s stuff. That means no one can enslave you by your use of the software. Freedom. Try it. You’ll like it.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Evils Of M$ Are Now In The Faces Of Ordinary Users – How Will They Respond?

1. luvr wrote, “what is the main purpose of the command line under Linux, then?!”

I really enjoyed the command-line this week. The Little Woman was away so I got to lounge about in the living room, using the home theatre PC and my server as though they were one. I also regained control over the blog’s server… So, there I was, a glass of ice-water on one hand, the TV’s remote on the other, and a wireless keyboard nearby, grooving to my oldies radio station, running several computers at once, watching TV, the stock market, and enjoying FLOSS between sessions of digging holes in the mud to plant trees… Life is good with the command line as my friend. I also replace The Little Woman’s decade old thin client with her old PC repaired. She’s loving it. Unfortunately, there’s still a power glitch in there somewhere but we’ll find it. I love openSSH and CLI. They don’t fix hardware problems but they make life sweet.

2. luvr says:

Dougman said, “I distinctly recall Win-Dohs trolls adamantly saying that there is no need for the command line.”

ROFLMAO… They sure dismissed Linux because “you couldn’t do anything with it unless you resorted to the command line.” When I then replied that, with the advent of PowerShell, the command line was going to become the main Windows interface for system tasks, they cried out, “but… That’s only for system administrator tasks!” Riiight… And what is the main purpose of the command line under Linux, then?!?!?

Anyway, I usually concluded with “Just you wait and see… It won’t be long until those Windozers start to brag about how powerful Windows is because of the advanced command-line shell, and how primitive Linux is because of how heavily it relies on the simplistic GUI paradigm!”

Looks like they’re beginning to prove me right…

3. DrLoser wrote, ” PowerShell, for one.”

Chuckle. I just read M$ is porting OpenSSH to TOOS.

That was announced a while back but now they’ve released source code. They’ve found “extend, extinguish” doesn’t work any more so they’re working for living, trying to remain relevant.

I have to say, everyone I have spoken with or asked “how do you like Windows 10?” all of them came back and have said that they hated it. No one can find anything, everything is hidden or moved.

Eh, M$ changes just for the sake of changes, so as to give the appearance that they are actually creating something.

5. luvr says:

Dr. Loser mentioned, “PowerShell, for one.”

Do you know what percentage of Windows users even know that PowerShell exists?
    And, of this “roughly the same percentage as the percentage of Linux desktop users”, how many are sufficiently proficient at it to use it successfully as an alternative to Regedit?

I surely hate beating a dying horse, but M$ and its various iterations of Win-Dohs will never change. As aforementioned previously, I was upgrading a desktop for someone that I know personally and Win-Dohs is primarily used for games, as it is his son’s PC.

The solution was removing the Linux hard drive, rebooting, installing the updates, rebooting then upgrading and finally rebooting, then reinstalling the Linux drive back. However the the Windows MBR takes precedent over grub, so you need to update grub again.

After that was completed, I was curious and looked at the registry errors and amount of fragmentation counts. In all, fragmentation was like 70% and errors in the registry was close to 5K. So today, Win-dohs reminded me a off drunk that pukes in their own bed and trashes their living quarters and never bothers cleaning up the mess.

7. dougman wrote,

“– Unplug the SATA cable of the Linux hard disk
    – Start Windows, install the update KB3033929, restart Windows. It installs successfully.
    – Replug the SATA cable of the Linux hard disk”

Tell me that’s not an example of M$ enslaving the world doing worthless work just to use That Other Operating System.

8. ssorbom says:

Aagh, change “know” to “to know”

9. ssorbom says:

Hence the “If you are feeling brave” quip. But seriously, isn’t there a way to do a backup first? I am actually a bit surprised to hear a former Microsoft employee say that about regedit. Personally, I approach the registry with reflexive fear, but I would think it would be common knowledge among skilled Windows admins know how it works.

By the way, I WOULD expect a comparatively competent Unix admin to know their way around regexes. To say otherwise is like touting a musician who can’t read music. Sure a few good ones exist who can play well by ear, but they are few and far between. Most people who fall into that category don’t deserve to be called musicians.

Windows Update KB3033929 Update Loop

If you dual-boot Linux, M$ refuses to install this update. Talk about a bunch of whiny losers! M$ refuses to coexists with anyone else in the market, especially Linux, but they are their own downfall.

Solution was:

– Unplug the SATA cable of the Linux hard disk
    – Replug the SATA cable of the Linux hard disk

There is always REGEDIT.EXE if you are feeling brave….

And stupid. I dare say this doesn’t disqualify you, personally. But to me, using RegEdit on Windows is pretty much the same (in JWZ terms) as using Regular Expressions in *nix. You thought you had a problem? Now you have two problems.

I can vaguely remember the last time I used RegEdit. It was about five years ago, at work, and I had some weird issue that I could have solved by waiting a day for support to kick in, but I got a bit antsy. Do you know what percentage of Windows users even know that RegEdit exists? I’ll give you a clue: it’s roughly the same percentage as the percentage of Linux desktop users. For all practical purposes — none.

No doubt it will come as a massive surprise to you, ssorbom, but there are several other vastly preferable tools available under Windows to achieve the same purpose as RegEdit with far less stress. PowerShell, for one.

12. ssorbom says:

Well,
    There is always REGEDIT.EXE if you are feeling brave….
    I haven’t read the article yet, but I can’t believe this behavior can’t be stopped by editing a registry key somewhere.

Well, I will be spared this indignity until I need to upgrade Dragon again (currently runs fine on a Win7 VM), which if I am lucky will be never. I will say my current setup just works, and Dragon’s accuracy is good enough that I could just keep running my current version indefinitely until Virtualbox drops Windows 7 support.

Well, at least you are consistent, Robert.

Consistency is a valuable skill.

14. kurkosdr says:

“Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes….”

lololol *snort*

Too bad Windows Update will keep trying and trying till it’s swallowed in.

Does anybody know the douchey-hipstery version of the “failure configuring…” message that was undoubtedly introduced in Windows 10?

In case you haven’t noticed, in Windows 10, every message you ‘d get in Windows 7 has been replaced in with a douchey-hipstery version of it*. “Please wait while Windows is configuring…” has been replaced with “working with updates”. “Setting up your desktop” has been replaced with “this won’t take long … we are setting things up for you”. What would ‘ve been a perfectly sane failed-to-download message has become into this.

* if you haven’t noticed, it means you are probably not using Windows 10, in which case I have to say only one thing: Well Done!

Seriously and in earnest, I do say that, I believe that the ONLY way that users can stem the tide of forced upgrades to Windows 10 is…

“Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes….”

16. lpbbear says:

“The Evils Of M$ Are Now In The Faces Of Ordinary Users – How Will They Respond?”

From my reading of comments to various articles around the net regarding the latest list of blatant abuses many of the usual crowd of MS apologists will go right on apologizing for Microsoft.

With Windows 10 Microsoft has finally reached the point where they’re so desperate for revenue they are using clearly visible abuses of their market monopoly position to keep users locked in. In the past most of the abuses and back stabbings were hidden behind closed door backroom back maneuvers that were mostly hidden from public view. No more. The current Windows 10 abuses are targeted directly at the end user of their products.

Cue the apologists….unless Pogson has finally gotten around to using a giant can of cyber Raid to rid them from his site.

So Windows 10 is acting like a Windows 7 and 8.1 Service pack.

M$ Windohs 10, “free” as in “whenever a product is free, you are the product”.

19. kurkosdr says:

BTW, what will happen with the EULA? I don’t remember signing an EULA similar to the Win10-EULA when installing/OOBE-ing Windows 7.

My guess is that they will go ahead and upgrade you anyway, and when the reboot happens, you will be presented with the new EULA, on a screen with no back button, only an “accept” button. Do you want your computer back you worthless underlings? Sign up everything we put in-front of you otherwise it will stay locked.

This kind of free publicity (and vindication if we want to be honest) is something Stallman didn’t really thing would happen in real life.

20. kurkosdr says:

This can’t be eff-ing happening. I am soon going to wake up in my bed, find out my Galaxy SIII has fallen between the mattress and front woodboard (again), pick it up, go to mrpogson com and this post (and link) won’t be there.

If not, well I am screwed. My mom uses this old Windows 7 laptop with hybrid graphics (an Intel and a Radeon, both of unknown further details to me). Since Win7 doesn’t do hybrid graphics natively, it’s all done by third-party drivers and third-party apps which auto-launch. What will happen to them after the upgrade and what error messages will their fire? Then there is the retraining on a completely new UI, over the phone. Then there is the stage when I instruct my dad, over the phone, how to install new versions of VLC and what else. Then there is the “will Office 2007 work on Win10” stage. Then there is the final-boss stage: Will a local CMR software work on Win10 despite explicitly asking for “W98, XP, VISTA, W7” and which interfaces with laboratory equipment over USB?

I am screwed. In the literal sense of “being betrayed”. I was sold a Windows license because I was promised long-term support for the OS, so specialist applications can run without breakages caused from upgrades to new majors.

I really hope my foresight of disabling “receive optional updates the same way as critical…” saves me from this one. Aka that the evil KBs that cause this are for users receiving optional updates.

No pity here, people can whine all they want about it. They do not own the OS nor can they file suit in class action, states right in the EULA that they agreed too.

Ye Suckers!!