“Nantes has now switched half of its 5000 workstations (PCs and laptops) to the LibreOffice open source office suite.

…The support team was not as busy as anticipated, and two out of three civil servants had no major problems using the software.

Justification for the transition was the end of support for the decade-old version of the proprietary office suite in use at the city administration. The city’s IT department considered several options, including purchasing new proprietary licences. “We decided to go to LibreOffice, allowing us to save EUR 1,7 million”, Ficheux said. The IT department’s side-by-side comparison included a budget of EUR 600,000 for change management and for training the city’s 5000 staffers to use LibreOffice. Conversely, training users to use the newest version of the proprietary office suite would cost EUR 400,000, the IT department estimated.”

See Nantes: “Change management key to switch to free software”
Yes. Replacing a non-Free office suite with LibreOffice makes sense. It’s FLOSS. You can run, examine, modify and distribute the software under the accompanying licence. There’s no need to budget for licensing. There’s no contract. There’s no dependency on someone out to get you. LibreOffice is a cooperative product of the world, not enslavement/lock-in/a burden indefinitely. It’s easy too. After all, LibreOffice is descended from StarOffice and OpenOffice.org designed from the beginning to be easy to use even for those familiar with M$’s product.

Best of all, once Nantes has kicked the office suite habit pushed by M$, there’s no need for M$’s operating system either. Nantes can now migrate to GNU/Linux and be FREE from M$ completely.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Of Course, LibreOffice Is Easy To Deploy And Use. It’s FLOSS. It’s An Office Suite.

1. dougman wrote, “M$ patching of software and the problems it leads to”.

Yes. I saw that in the last place I worked with XP. The one machine in the building that was off the grid worked flawlessly for 8 years while half the machines online failed. After I updated machines to XP SP3 and NTFS and a good anti-virus, folks were not better off… Machines still froze and sunk under malware. Machines definitely ran slower.

Now, “10” is basically a “key-logger” for M$ and their friends, the NSA. Who needs licensing revenue when you can just sell secrets on the black market?

2. dougman wrote, “paying annually to create documents provides psuedo-value to some ignorant bloke”.

Yes, that’s part of the slavery-theme, getting folks to pay M$ for permission to use the hardware they bought and the labour they hired. Instead of software as a service, M$ pushes inhumane trafficking.

3. dougman linked to “BING FAIL – People want their GOOGLE back”.

Oohhh! Top hit! I like that. Really, M$ can’t do anything right but monopoly and lock-in and those tents are ragged and holed all over.

How about M$ patching of software and the problems it leads to, sych as:

– Patches break things
    – Patches introduce security problems
    – Patches don’t work as promised
    – Patches include undocumented or unwanted bonus “features”
    – Patches are pushed silently to users

What about Macro malware for M$ Office?

“The newer macros make use of Powershell or other scripting languages to check Windows components such as the services list. By enumerating the service names and looking for VMWare, Vbox or Virtual in the service names, a macro can determine it is running in a virtual environment and exit. Macros can detect sandboxes by checking the serial number of the system drive, the Windows Product ID or the date when Windows was installed. Just before this post was made, a new tactic was observed where malicious .DOC files were placed inside other documents and attached to an email. For example a .DOC inside an .XLS spreadsheet or a .DOC inside a PDF. ”

Shall we discuss how easy it is to install Libreoffice over M$ Office? No?..ok what about cost, whereas one is far less costly than the other? NO?… ok then lets discuss how paying annually to create documents provides psuedo-value to some ignorant bloke.

Relevant as this is a Linux lovers haven, so any opportunity to bash M$ makes it relevant.

Obviously, you don’t want to discuss the negative return that which BING is to M$ do you? Of course not..

Well, regarding BING. Its not a money maker for M$, in fact it rarely works, people at M$ barely use the thing and it wastes M$ revenue by being in the RED.

And this is in some sense relevant, Dougie?
    If so, kindly explain how.

“The user profile is the folder where the all user related data (extensions, custom dictionaries, templates, etc) is kept. This folder is not eliminated when LibreOffice is uninstalled or updated, preserving the customization performed by the user.”

Re: No GUI “update” button I can press?

Ummm… are you really that lazy? As there is no need to “reeeboot” and uninstall/install takes only 5-minutes, I see it as a clear winner over subscriptionware like M$ Office. Enjoy paying your annual dues…LOL.

10. kurkosdr says:

Lol for real? No GUI “update” button I can press? No way to transfer over settings and dictionary?

12. dougman wrote, “sudo apt-get remove –purge libreoffice* && sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo dpkg -i *.deb

BING…it’s done…took less than 3 minutes!”

It’s actually a bit harder than that if you install another language-pack and help-pack. I could use en-us, but I prefer en-GB, so I have to dip into three different directories, but it is rather quick. I would not use “Bing!” in that respect. M$’s sycophants are too willing to change topics… I’d go with “BIFF!”, “PRESTO!” or “Voila!”. APT is magical and deserves special effects. 😉

DrLoser
    Interoperability with other popular Office suites?
    If you had bothered reading kingsoft and softmakers change logs you would have noticed a long list of fixes for document compatibility. Even MS Office has broken compatibility.

Sorry playing that LibreOffice lacks compatibility is playing the moron card.
    Reality is Libreoffice is compatible with more office suites than any other solution. Same with supporting more different forms of document storage than any other solution.

Of course you could luck out testing to find a document that displays a Libreoffice fault but then that one works in MS Office/Kingsoft/Softmaker… But if you look you can also find examples of documents that fail in the other 3 current editions that work in Libreoffice and older versions of MS Office.

Basically if you are looking to see a failure you will find it. Without using a proper broad testing you will build up a false point of view of compatibility.

Yes, Windows is so easy to deploy, M$ will push it onto your network whether you want it or not.

“..machines not scheduled to get the Windows 10 update were getting “between 2GB and 3GB” worth of files. The files are stored in a hidden folder called “$Windows-BT,” according to the report. Since the machines were domain joined in this case, they weren’t eligible for Microsoft’s free update to Windows 10, but they apparently were still getting the bits, which was slowing down network performance, according to that report.”

Then you have the endless reee-reee-reeboots, for the patches and fixes, for the fixes and patches.

If you patch me up…
    If you patch me up I’ll never stop rebooting.
    If you patch me up…
    If you patch me up I’ll never stop rebooting.
    I’ve been running hot…
    You got me ticking gonna blow my top.
    If you patch me up…
    If you patch me up I’ll never stop rebooting.
    You make a grown man cry…

All we need now is Ballmer doing the monkey-dance to this song.

Tricolons in English are generally presented as a set of sub-clauses between semicolons, Robert. But, hey, let’s follow your rather unusual presentation on this one.
    LibreOffice Is Easy To Deploy. No argument there. So is Microsoft Windows, btw. Oh, you hate Microsoft EULAs? So is Kingsoft. So is SoftMaker.
    So what?
    LibreOffice Is Easy To Use. Questionable. To what purpose do you intend to use it? Interoperability with other popular Office suites? I’d have to say no, then.
    It’s FLOSS. It’s also a bit-stream. I don’t quite see how this really matters.
    It’s An Office Suite. So is Lotus 1-2-3.
    So what?

M$ Office is a joke and a bloated mess!!

When I updated to LO5, I just did this:

BING…it’s done…took less than 3 minutes!

17. admfubar wrote, “opensource, so easy even civil servants can use it!”

It’s not as silly as that might seem. I think FLOSS tends to have necessary features rather than new features for the sake of novelty. That other OS and its applications were designed by salesmen needing talking points to push the product. I’ve never seen anyone, even M$’s sycophants, who claim close to using all the features of That Other OS and M$’s applications. Further, some of M$’s defaults/restrictions are totally arbitrary and wrong, like, for years, having “left justify” as the default setting in a word-processor. M$’s salesmen saw “left justify” as being like typewriters, which, 20 years ago, folks new well, so that was a selling point, no training required… The fact that they kept that default for decades is absolutely bizarre, yet I’ve had to introduce that to just about every student I’ve shown office suites. At one place, I asked students to do some simple tasks with five different office suites. At the time OpenOffice.org was the clear winner in ease of use even compared with M$’s office suite which OpenOffice.org imitated. Almost without exception, “left justify” was used on most documents that were produced in my schools with M$’s office suite. It’s really funny that M$ managed to hold back hundreds of millions of users to believe computers were just replacement typewriters.

18. oiaohm wrote, “the reality is 66.6 percent saving on licensing is already confirmed as possible.”

Nope. It’s higher than that. The training is a one time thing if turnover is low. In my experience, once folks had poked around the menus with the pointer a few times, they were good to go. The few that needed hand-holding probably needed it with any office suite/browser available. e.g. At one of my roll-outs two staff demanded more attention than the other ~50. One was absolutely afraid to click on anything for fear of breakage and the other wouldn’t click on anything that wasn’t identical to what he was used to. The latter actually brought in his wife with a notebook to type up lessons/papers. I can imagine the betrayal he felt when M$ switched to the ribbon and there was nothing there… These were both elderly gentlemen who considered paper as excellent IT. I don’t think I ever had a teacher under 40 ever question FLOSS and GNU/Linux. It just worked for them.

I just switched to LO 5 myself and it’s mostly transparent to the user. The one little niggle I had was that the integration with XFCE4 was a bit rough. I had to adjust some system-fonts on one system with a huge screen because the menu jammed up. Same with drop-down menus with too large fonts. They have no scrolling… A few points reduction in system-font size fixed that. This was on a system using the TV as monitor. I had the fonts blown up to be comfortable with my old eyes from the armchair.

Those numbers are a little higher than IBM and HP general projections.

2 out of 3 says 66.6… percent were fine. 33 percent were not. The white paper averages is 1 in 5. So 20 percent having trouble.

So the reality is 66.6 percent saving on licensing is already confirmed as possible.

20. admfubar says:

>>>The support team was not as busy as anticipated, and two out of three civil servants had no major problems using the software.<<<

opensource, so easy even civil servants can use it! (said tongue in cheek)