On The Verge Of Going Public, M$’s Fix Breaks Stuff

“I have 8 machines with build 10240. They are all different configurations and several are clean installs and several are in place 8.1 Upgrade. (Testing purposes). Before this update, essentially smooth sailing since 10240 release.It may be a free upgrade on July 29, but it feels like that is just beginning the beta testing phase…All machines have this problem, regardless of hardware, even 32 bit Atom SOC tablet. Anything to do with any Network adapters (status, change settings, disable, enable, etc.) causes explorer to crash.”

See Updated: Windows 10 Update KB3074681 causing crashes for users
I expect it will be another interesting year for M$’s share-price. Another heavily advertised consumer-product is looking more like Vista every day. Forced updates of an incredibly complex piece of software from Day One is a recipe for disaster. What could possibly go wrong… go wrong… go wrong…

This kind of thing for a million customers would be a death-blow for most normal businesses. M$, with a lot of inertia, can survive a few of these but they’re running out of Free Rides: Vista, XP, “phoney 7”, “8.*” and now “10”. They are right. This is the last version of TOOS you will ever see. It’s inevitable that forced updates breaking millions of systems will cost M$ millions of customers. Some will go to Apple but a lot will go to */Linux. Already Android/Linux has taken the mobile space which was M$’s to take, simply because “phoney 7” was so pitifully inadequate in comparison to Android/Linux. It’s a lot easier to push schlock when it’s first to market or the only thing allowed on retail shelves. Life in the real world of competition is not nearly so easy.

Every school where I’ve worked and XP was the only OS on desktop had a policy of not taking forced updates. The reason was simple, to avoid breakage. It was a huge burden on me personally to wade through the vast numbers of updates triaging them into Good, Bad and Ugly… The best-running XP machines were always the ones that had no connection to the Internet. Still running SP1, they were faster and more reliable than SP3. Forcing updates on all the products shipped onto all those retail shelves will be the last straw. Retailers won’t be able to sell the product. OEMs will have huge piles unsold in warehouses. TOOS as a valid expense for business only makes sense if it actually works…

It’s all good news for GNU/Linux which has been flagging in the second quarter. School got out, I guess, but with “10” being forced on folks so soon after “8.*” it’s going to be a great year for desktop GNU/Linux. This will make the massive recalls in the auto-industry seem like child’s play. Unfortunately, governments don’t dictate recalls for TOOS. They just change their procurement practices which are less dramatic but still effective. These days Europe and Asia and South America are on the verge of switching to GNU/Linux. The recent bad quarter which M$ blamed on Nokia will become the norm. While M$ is still in the denial phase of grieving for their monopoly, much of the world will switch to GNU/Linux in self-defence.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to On The Verge Of Going Public, M$’s Fix Breaks Stuff

1. ram wrote, “I’ve even tried something simple like asking it “What time is it?”. The result: a Bing search for “What time is it.””

I’m getting too old to laugh that hard, but, yes, M$ is the former master criminal one no longer needs to take seriously. It’s a dead dinosaur making bad smells and inviting carrion-eaters. It’s the senile old fool who talks to himself or reiterates nonsense. It’s funny in a preschool sense but it’s really something to avoid because nothing good comes of it. The “phoney” branch has been pruned. The “desktop” branch has withered. I pass a tree like that on walks, just a few leaves on a 60ft. tree, trunk dry and girdled at the base, bark peeling and cracking… In a couple of years the thing will come crashing down, the only energy available gravity and no strength in the roots.

dougman and since the default is on how often until windows update turns it back on even if you turn it off..

What you missed is the fact you did not need to tune the device to you. Next thing where was the voice processed. Guess what not on the machine. So you were ID as being at that location.

So you are in a room with a stack of computer say something its not your machine but you have just given away where you are. Lets say that laptop happens to be a person who is a tagged terrorist and now you are an associate.

You are thinking its just about the person who own the machine. In fact this tech effects anyone who is in hearing range of the device. So like it or not playing with that machine has associated your voice print with that person.

NO, I will not stop laughing, and you just reiterated what I just previously stated.

Furthermore, seems this voice thing is very invasive.

“To enable Cortana to provide personalized experiences and relevant suggestions, Microsoft collects and uses various types of data, such as your device location, data from your calendar, the apps you use, data from your emails and text messages, who you call, your contacts and how often you interact with them on your device. Cortana also learns about you by collecting data about how you use your device and other Microsoft services, such as your music, alarm settings, whether the lock screen is on, what you view and purchase, your browse and Bing search history, and more.”

I can this voice thing really taking-off.

dougman stop laughing did you need to tune your voice to it. Then notice carefully what it did. It sent exactly what you said to the INTERNET.

I am laughing so hard right now.

I had a visitor “show” this Cortana thing in their Windows 10 install.

When I spoke to it, it would take what I just said, open Edge, go to their Bing web page, and paste the words in as a search inquiry. Not exactly helpful. I’ve even tried something simple like asking it “What time is it?”. The result: a Bing search for “What time is it.”

LMAO.

Yes P/E is not a good indicator at all. I like how a lot of investor guides say if a company is losing money it does not have a PE. This is not true companies like ergon has a PE because they were taking out loans.

Things to look at when investing. Cashflow. Microsoft has not been good at all. In fact for a few recent years more cost than cash.

The debt load. Total Debt to Capital is over 30 percent of the company now and increasing. This is not fatal yet. In value Microsoft now has more in debt than Intel or IBM and that is sad. Companies like Intel and IBM always have huge debts because they have to be investing in new factories all the time.

The trends with Microsoft are not good. Will it kill them this year highly unlikely. Unless Microsoft does something to control it growing debt it could become fatal in 10 years or less. Yes increase interest rates will put more pressure on Microsoft.

People who believing in negative gearing say up to 50 percent is fine. Those who don’t believe in negative gearing over 15 percent is bad. But both groups agree increasing debt better have a income improvement forecast that Microsoft has not provided. In fact many of Microsoft actions could result in reduced incomes.

I expect it will be another interesting year for M$’s share-price…

In an effort to save your family from insolvency, based upon your clearly inadequate understanding of the basics of the stock market, Robert, I will try again.

That share-price thing? You failed miserably.
    Now, let us return to the concept of price over earnings. The basic fact of the matter is that Microsoft’s P/E is not remotely congruent with Google’s P/E. Here’s the deal.
    The P/E for any company is not an especially good indicator of forward performance.
    However, if you want to compare apples with apples, and oranges with oranges, let’s do that, shall we? Regarding your cite: did you notice that little qualifier by the Microsoft P/E on Yahoo? You know, the ttm thing? Take a moment or two and look up what it means.
    Done that?
    Good.
    Now, should a large company, say Microsoft, be rated on P/E(ttm) as, say, 30+, there are two possibilities.
    a) The stock price is triffically exciting.
    b) The earnings last year were relatively dismal.
    What with write-offs for Nokia and all, I’m seeing (b) here.

Now, the forward P/E for both companies … for what it is worth … is a far better predictor.

Have you asked the little lady about how you splurge your money on dubious stock market shenanigans, Robert? You should. I’m convinced she’s not quite as naïve as you are.

8. oiaohm wrote, “Nvidia NV1 cards under Linux you used with generic Vesa and it worked. “

I remember those days. vesa.drv was the backup plan. It no longer works the last few times I tried it. Curse manufacturers who don’t follow standards. }:-|

9. ram says:

Please delete the post showing an email address as the user name.

–Not providing FOSS driver for 20 years would require Nvidia not to become open source before 2029–

Opps sorry typo
    Not providing FOSS driver for 20 years would require Nvidia not to become open source before 2019.

I typed a 2 instead of a 1.

God if DrLoser is going to keep on attacking with bull crap I better consider putting the anti-drloser filter back on.

DrLoser the card before Nvidia for me was a S3 something. The reason why I said its not 20 years+ is it end of 1995 when I got my first Nvidia.

Nvidia NV1 cards under Linux you used with generic Vesa and it worked. Where depending on what version s3 you had depended if mouse pointer or other vesa stuff worked or broke. Its one of the thing the early Nvidia were known for was being properly VESA-compliant. 1996 was the start of the voodoos.

NV1 advanced functions were not used by Linux and there were not many there in the first place.

Really even if I detail debian version and card you will still call me a lier. To tell you the card exactly I would have to find where it stored. I think it was WinFast could have been a diamond edge. Problem here with NV1 it came down to price all of them had perfect Vesa support. Where with s3 and others the clone had messes with the compatibility.

Nvidia comes popular with Linux and BSD users at the time because it use to be highly standard following. Does matter if something was faster or slower.

–NVidia, a company that was formed at the back end of 1993?–
    Poor homework. Nvidia starts 1993 release first cards 1995.

–what with NVidia being famous throughout the entire Freetard world for the last twenty years or so for not providing a F(L)OSS driver …–
    Poor research again. Its not been 20 years that Nvidia has not provided a FLOSS driver.

Nvidia early on did release open source drivers for both NV3 have open source drivers provided by Nvidia 1996-1998. Please note the riva128 source code for driver was provided before the card was on the market.

Its NV04 the TNT cards where Nvidia starts being more closed. In fact it the NV04 cards where Nvidia starts providing closed source Linux drivers.

DrLoser you call me a lier yet here is you saying lies about what Nvidia has done.

Anyone who knows Utag-glx history knows about when Nvidia started making closed source drivers in a big way(NV4) and how long they supported Linux yes since (NV4).

So the complete time with Nvidia I have had drivers. Ok not FOSS drivers the complete time.

No point attacking me for being a lier DrLoser when you are saying deformation against Nvidia because you cannot have your facts straight.

Ever since Nvidia has been making closed source drivers there has been open source mirror project.

Now read this DrLoser this is the Riva 128 drive open source. Notice who the two maintainers are. Yes Nvidia staff.

Nvidia does work on some open source drivers. Nvidia is a bugger for not handing over the specs to do 3d acceleration.

The interesting point at moment is my Nvidia card using Nvidia closed source is only Opengl 4.4. The open source driver for my card has the functions the closed source Nvidia is missing to be Opengl 4.5 implemented. So there is a chance that one day I mind end up using the open source drivers.

Talking of incompetence — it’s been a while.
    Have you finally come to terms with systemd, Robert?
    One more push and you will be exhilarated, I promise you! Twenty first century, here Manitoba Man comes!

I expect it will be another interesting year for M$’s share-price…

One more time, Robert. No evasions, please.
    Do try at least once to defend your total lack of mathematics on this small point.

Ask Nasdaq: MSFT=32.11 P/E, GOOG=29.98 P/E. That’s at 0803ET 2015-Jul-31.

And the “forward P/E,” which is the proper measure, is 17.43 on that site, Robert.
    Much as I would enjoy watching you explore yet another area of total incompetence, I feel it incumbent upon me to warn you not to speculate.

Leave it to the Little Woman. I’m 95% sure that she is not nearly as dangerous as you are in these matters. After all, she deals in real estate, which means at the very least that she knows what things are worth.

How’s that Pascal Ballistics thing going, incidentally?

DrLoser I was using debian before the stable release.

First of all, Fifi, I do not believe you for a second. No sane person would.
    And secondly, why?
    The thing was an unformed blob of protoplasm.
    What, precisely, did you see in it?
    Not that I believe you, because you are transparently lying. This graphics card that you employed with Debian, circa 1994? NVidia was it?
    NVidia, a company that was formed at the back end of 1993?

Fascinating, Fifi.
    Kindly specify the version of Debian you employed, the particular NVidia card you used, and … what with NVidia being famous throughout the entire Freetard world for the last twenty years or so for not providing a F(L)OSS driver …
    … Also, the driver.
    You are a pathetic little lying loser, Fifi.

17. DrLoser wrote, ” You’re wrong on the share price. You’re wrong on the P/E.”

Ask Nasdaq: MSFT=32.11 P/E, GOOG=29.98 P/E. That’s at 0803ET 2015-Jul-31.

There have been way worse issues than the stagefright issue. The fact that it only effects some devices from Android 2.2 got missed. Like my more modern Nexus Tablet is not using it.

I guess no one checked out this link of mine. This is 2010. Users of particular applications on Android have been going by adb and turning stagefright off because it been buggy all the way back then. So 2015 it being hacked is not exactly a surprise. Yes buggy in 2010 to the point crashing the complete device.

Yawn it now news because someone found a exploit?

What is adb yep Android Debug Bridge. Ok what is Android equal to Windows safemode ? Answer “Android Debug Bridge Shell”. So is booting windows into single user-mode and exotic operation.

This is the problem. Android Debug Bridge can be used from Windows, OS X, Linux, Chromebooks on a usb connection. The massive power of Android Debug Bridge has made it a prime target to hack.

There are many issues that you tell Windows users to boot into safe mode to fix and it fine. Yet tell an android user they have to use adb shell its wrong somehow.

DrLoser I was using debian before the stable release.

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-detailed.en.html the debian 0.90 was on a Australian mag cover disc. The first public release on a mag in Australia was Jan 1994 with the 0.90 release of debian. There was a magazine in Australia that covered new operating systems.

I have told you before I am Australian DrLoser so you should checked when debian was provided to Australian before going off with bullshit.

I had a Nvidia NV1 at the end of 1995. Yes I should have put almost 20 years. It will be 20+ next year. Sorry I was getting a year ahead of myself. I still have the old NV1 around somewhere. I forgot it was a Christmas present.

–Broken accelerated video and audio playback by openmax does not effect, or more accurately affect, using the device as a miniature door-stopper or paperweight either, Fifi.–
    DrIdiot on the wrong track. At least kurkosdr partly on the wrong track. Basically you did zero research again.

–Lol, Google can’t be bothered to put “working OpenMax” in their compatibility definition (which is necessary fora device to get the Play Store out of the box).–
    kurkosdr is kinda on the right track. Google did put a requirement on. That if software mode was disabled that the device had to still function and not brick.

If the device turns into door stopper because you turn media.stagefright.enable-player=false the device was defective and should not have came with google play in the first place. When I say broken you go to play a video/audio the accelerated gives you black because it does not decode.

Stagefright is mostly about allowing older devices to run newer android. Why because old devices acceleration has no clue how todo more modern formats.

I should have been more exact on broken openmax. openmax was designed on the theory it would fail at times. So the worst a broken openmax does is not play the video/audio. So black window no sound. Exactly the same as when I attempt to play a xvid on my desktop at the moment using acceleration because the recent Nvidia driver update broke that. Each openmax decoder in a GPU is like a independent program. If they crash they don’t crash the complete GPU. So device does everything else fine.

kurkosdr allowing updating of old devices means the openmax on the old device might be broken by todays standard but was perfectly acceptable when the device was made. stagefright is nothing more than a software hack that you can live without.

20. kurkosdr says:

“Broken accelerated video and audio playback by openmax does not effect, or more accurately affect, using the device as a miniature door-stopper or paperweight either, Fifi.”

Android is Java MIDP in OS form. A lowest common denominator that’s so low that literally everything can be granted a pass. And good luck developer trying to build rich applications targeting that “platform”.

Good spot there. I’m sure the lads over at Google Marketing will be on it like hyenas on a filet steak!

kurkosdr I have only used Nvidia with Debian for +20 years.

“Debian was first announced in 1993 by Ian Murdock, and the first stable release was made in 1996.”

You people are basically innumerate, aren’t you?

Results in the past do not give guarantees for the future

True, YY, but when somebody (not a million miles away from here) says the following:

I expect it will be another interesting year for M$’s share-price…

… I recommend we analyse that comment based on nothing other than the history of the share price.

Of course DrLoser does not read the finer details. If you properly dig through the share data Microsoft has lot of the classic warning signs…

Possibly, possibly, Fifi. But when somebody (not a million miles away from here) says the following:

I expect it will be another interesting year for M$’s share-price…

Or, to put it another way:

When somebody (not a million miles away from here) says the following:

I expect it will be another interesting year for M$’s share-price…

… it’s hard not to start by looking back at the last five years’ worth of MSFT share price movements, Robert.

Otherwise, what was the point of that comment in the first place?

Perhaps it was merely a clearing of the throat for your new wildly inaccurate claim.
    Says here that the GOOG P/E is 29.75.
    Says here that the MSFT P/E is 19.29.

Tell me, Robert. Do those two ratios look remotely similar to you?

Long story short. You’re wrong on the share price. You’re wrong on the P/E.
    These are trivially simple things to look up, Robert. Why would a disinterested observer trust you on anything else, when you are blatantly and hopelessly wrong in both cases?

24. kurkosdr wrote, “@Pogson, can I get the propietary Nvidia drivers for Debian?”

One member of the family likes Nvidia, so we have a few systems with Nvidia hardware. Debian GNU/Linux works fine with them but building the driver for the current installed kernel is a problem. Fortunately, the LTS kernels are around for years so the rebuilds don’t need to happen very often. Those Nvidia systems are getting old so they will likely be replaced by anything but Nvidia unless they get their act together and really support Linux. That seems to be happening for newer hardware but not older. Eventually this problem will disappear when the newer stuff becomes the older stuff…

25. “can I get the propietary Nvidia drivers for Debian? I am looking for something deb-based and really long-term-supported, but if Debian can’t run the proprietary Nvidia drivers, I ‘ll probably forget the really-LTS thing and choose Mint or Ubuntu.”

It is the same kernel so the NVidia proprietary drivers should work with Debian. I’ve never had any problem with them. That being said, Mint is really good and easy to work with.

–And how can I know whether my particular model + android version combination has “not broken OpenMax”?–

kurkosdr you don’t need adb to read build.prop. You only need adb to tweak it on non rooted devices. The fact is broken accelerated video and audio playback by openmax does not effect using the device as a phone. It is possible to install vlc or equal on the android device to use software to play back files that will not play on a device with broken openmax with stagefright disabled.

If you device has a shell on it you can use /system/bin/getprop media.stagefright.enable-player
    to get the value if this is false you are not using stagefright so have to be using openmax. I though there was

file:///system/build.prop works in the firefox webbrowser if you have that installed. media.stagefright.enable-player is not in there is also false. Of course this does not work from the default chrome.

This is a fault that users can roughly repair themselves. Ok a patch from device maker/google so you don’t have to work around broken functionality would be better.

Yes having to install third party software to view build.prop is a bit of an android bug.

–@Pogson, can I get the propietary Nvidia drivers for Debian? I am looking for something deb-based and really long-term-supported, but if Debian can’t run the proprietary Nvidia drivers, I ‘ll probably forget the really-LTS thing and choose Mint or Ubuntu.–
    https://packages.debian.org/sid/nvidia-driver you have to add the non-free repository.

kurkosdr I have only used Nvidia with Debian for +20 years.

27. kurkosdr says:

M$ will issues patches and hotfixes for the existing hotfixes and patches,

Yo dawg we heard you like patches, so we made updates mandatory, so you can be patchin’ while you ‘re patchin’

The update experience of Windows 10 started rather badly. Now that they know you don’t have a choice to reject updates or not (whoo! free beta testers!) they will just slap ’em together and throw them under the light.

28. kurkosdr says:

Without having to use adb of course, which is something most users don’t know it even exists.

Cheers.

Windows 10 – Automatic updates, screw you!

…if the driver problem lies with Windows Update, then there’s no way to stop Windows 10 reinstalling it once removed, which causes the problem to come back again and again.

Wintard whining about situation, “Microsoft just doesn’t learn. I get updates are critical and should be enforced but give users some options. This should be an OS setting not something you download later.”

LOL…you have no options with M$, as you are just a lessee you agreed to the terms of the EULA or did you not read it? Ah yes, you just clicked it didn’t you??

Lets take a peek, shall we?

Automatic Updates For consumers and small business, Windows 10 delivers automatic updates, with no option to selectively delay or reject individual updates. “The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. … By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”

If you want options, go with Linux.

Windows 10 – more senseless features that lead to insecurity woes!

31. ram says:

With respect to DrLoser ‘s comment, it is a classics “head and shoulders” pattern. Some things change, some things never will 😉

32. DrLoser wrote, “Well, who knows, Robert? Clearly you don’t have a clue.”

Here, I’ll give you one: MSFT is unchanged since 2014 August 18. My stock portfolio was up 9% in the last month since I switched from mutual funds to doing my own thing… Being UNCH despite diversifying to the cloud is quite an accomplishment. I was being sarcastic when I wrote, “interesting”. The P/E of MSFT is now the same as GOOG, a company M$ claimed, “has no business plan”. How the mighty are fallen.

Last 10 years of Microsoft history shows increase debt problems and over all reducing staff. Of course DrLoser does not read the finer details. If you properly dig through the share data Microsoft has lot of the classic warning signs.

34. YY says:

@drLoser: Results in the past do not give guarantees for the future

However, what we DO know is that a criminal organisation with a de facto monopolistic extortion sales model eventually will crumble.

But keep on explaining the future from your history books (and make us laugh).

I expect it will be another interesting year for M$’s share-price.

Well, who knows, Robert? Clearly you don’t have a clue.
    Have a quick squiz at the last five years.

M$ will issues patches and hotfixes for the existing hotfixes and patches, then reboot like ten times to install each patch to the hotfixes which will corrupt the previous patches.

37. ram says:

Those still active in the business of computers (whatever they are now?) get the catalogs and news updates from the major manufacturers (those who really make the parts and systems, not the brand labels). We can see that what is being loaded on container ships now to “Western” markets before the “Christmas buying season” does not include hardly any Microsoft (or Apple for that matter) products. It is virtually all pre-installed Linux of one flavor or another.

Now that Microsoft has broken compatibility with NVidia and doesn’t work well with Intel chips, they have well an truly (past tense expletive deleted) themselves. The hardware manufacturers always rule!

38. YY says:

The problem with Windows is the one size fits all AND the lack of possible modification. This leads to problems like this update (fits) for all. And every time those Windows machines have problems, a certain amount of users is going to look for better alternatives to end this once and forever.

When alternatives pop up, like GNU/Linux, this process starts gradually but the more adopt this and the more proof as a viable alternative gets out, the more will be invested and the acceleration rate of adoption speeds up.

As it stands for now, tens of Billions are invested worldwide in Linux yearly, as for Windows, well, single digit.

We’ve reached the tipping point where MS already is and increasingly will be much more irrelevant. Even for the Desktop, this process will happen suddenly and if so, extremely fast because when this happens, the need for any Software Vendor to invest in Windows will suddenly be over. I suspect this to happen within the next 2 years. Actually – yes I dare to say – 2016 will be the year of the Linux Desktop. The gaming will be in place – both software and hardware. The hardware stores will start to sell on a broader scale worldwide. The public acceptance and trust will be there. And the inevitable Windows Disasters will be there!

It is one of the interesting facts about Android is that is designed highly modular with on off setting in build.prop. Most of these controls are not provided to the GUI. Huge number of reported attacks against Android devices can be stopped simply by turning off features you don’t use/need.

kurkosdr please stop giving Android advice you are a idiot on it.

950 million effected should have told you something. Stagefright is only used on phones/tablets that don’t have OpenMax or have broken OpenMax.

media.stagefright.enable-player=false in build.prop. Yes connect non rooted device to computer use adb shell to set this and attack against MMS messages will not work. Ok video/audio playback might be shot.

You instructions are completely not effective kurkosdr because the attack is against Stagefright so you block MMS and someone sends you a email with a video that exploits it or a browser link(and the browser uses Stagefright) you are just as toast.

Ok how many users with android phones with the issue are going to have them connected to adb shell and fixed that is another matter.

Will this time every where you have said this trash will you post the correction kurkosdr?

41. kurkosdr says:

Public service announcement: If you have an Android device, go the your default messages app (the one that receives SMS and MMS messages, it’s usually “messages” or hangouts) -> settings -> auto retrieve MMS -> disable the option

Then hope for the best. (and don’t open MMSes from unknown senders)

42. kurkosdr says:

What could possibly go wrong… go wrong… go wrong…

That actually made me chuckle, because surprise interruptions of workflow are characteristic of the Windows experience (such as surprise reboots at 3AM -an actual default mind you- or reboot nagscreens if you suspend for too long). 10 points for Pogson, for the appropriate reuse of an old joke.

What worries me is the reports I hear here and there about touchpads not working. I mean, wtf Microsoft, how many touchpad manufacturers are out there anyway?

Microsoft has relied on OEMs setting up Windows to fit their (dis)array of hardware, they are openning a bad can of worms.