Success

I just signed up for a seminar on the web. The organization sent me a reminder e-mail and suggested I check my system…“Operating System Failed We have detected that your operating system does not meet the optimal webinar specifications for listening to and/or viewing webinars. We recommend the following operating systems:” Not surprisingly, they found my operating system not “optimal”, yet every test passed. They are still stuck in the past, dealing with M$’s lack of standardized APIs. These days, folks are using open standards and incompatibility is rare. They should delete their OS-test. It’s none of their business what OS I run. Their stuff doesn’t run on my OS but on applications that run perfectly on my OS. Of course, they could have issued the warning, “Using that other OS may open you up to malware and really stupid lock-in. We recommend Free/Libre Open Source Software, including an operating system like GNU/Linux. Then your computer will not be limited by the imaginations of M$’s salesmen….”

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Success

1. ram says:

Sounds like your government officials are just as corrupt as ours. Anything for a bribe, so of course they recommend software from a company that pays them kickbacks!

kurkosdr the problem is these days Android is more common than OS X. So the claim of tested against the 2 most common is incorrect these days.

3. kurkosdr says:

with an OS that meets = with an OS and browser that meets

4. kurkosdr says:

” Why do they waste my tax-dollars to promote Wintel’s wet dream? ”

Because they don’t care? The guy designing the site tested against the two most common OSes (Windows and OS X) and put a warning for everyone using anything else, so he could finish testing before lunch break.

This practice is unethical for a government IMO. Everyone with an OS that meets the standards the website demands should be allowed in.

But good luck explaining that to them.

5. kurkosdr wrote, “you didn’t say if you managed to fix the problem, and if you did how.”

THERE WAS NO PROBLEM. The government thought my OS was a problem but it was not. I use open standards on my GNU/Linux desktop and the government uses open standards on that website. The site worked perfectly for me and I promptly received confirmation of the transaction in snail-mail and await the conclusion of the transaction any day now. There are some government web-sites that do use M$-only features but this wasn’t one of them. Despite that, they took the time/trouble to inform me they didn’t like my OS. ….. that. Why do they waste my tax-dollars to promote Wintel’s wet dream?

kurkosdr eLecta know it well works well in an Android emulator less of a pain to run it there. OS X is not much fun either because its picky on Java version.

7. kurkosdr says:

Anyway, you didn’t say if you managed to fix the problem, and if you did how. (I hate it when people post a problem and fail to write how it ended up).

Have you tried changing the user agent string?

8. kurkosdr says:

Do they happen to use something called eLecta?

That POS is a JavaSE app and yet it refuses to run on Desktop Linux.

Alternatively, your operating system is not optimal, Robert.
    Have you considered Arch?