A Million People Switched To GNU/Linux In Spain, France, and Germany Q1 2015

I did a calculation today of the top adopters of GNU/Linux in Europe. Excluding Italy, which is exceptional, I found the share percentage increase was ~0.5% for the first quarter. The graph omits this week because data for Sunday is still unavailable. The black line is the sum weighted by Internet-connected populations: Spain 34M, France 54M, and Germany 68M. A rise of 0.5% represents 1M increase in users, assuming share of page-views = share of desktop PCs = share of users.

See Top 7 Desktop OSs in Europe from W01 to W14 2015.

Yesterday, there was a massive Easter dinner party at my house. It started at noon and lasted to midnight… I was introduced to man and his family visiting from El Salvador. Of course, I asked him if they used GNU/Linux much in El Salvador and he replied that they did. He uses GNU/Linux on his notebook. His wife tried it as well but lacked features for dealing with images (searching, notations, …). Unfortunately, he was new to GNU/Linux and could not easily find the applications she needed, like FotoXX or Gallery.
GNU/Linux is doing well in El Salvador.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to A Million People Switched To GNU/Linux In Spain, France, and Germany Q1 2015

It’s difficult, kurks, but not entirely impossible. First of all, you have to accept that quite a lot of what Fifi comes up with is not going to be comprehensible, even to him. So, here we go:

The stats…

An atypical beginning. Normally it is “Something nasty in the woodpile.” Sometimes it is “Google Good/Bad.” But you have to understand Fifi-Speak — this is merely an apologetic sort of preparatory, apologetic, coughing.

Think of it as an aged, yet beloved, dog throwing up on your carpet. But slightly more irritating.

…apparently you want me dead kurkosdr …

Now, this is more like it. Apparently they don’t teach irony, sarcasm, or indeed humour to the long-distance students at the University of New England. (Which is, confusingly, in New South Wales.)

And, unaccountably, they seem to emphasise pointless self-pity.

… so of course you are now on my blacklist.

There now, that’s not so difficult to understand, is it? You ask an innocent question of Fifi. Fifi has no answer. Fifi throws her toys out of the pram.

Your problem here, Kurks, is that your first language is Greek. Clearly you fail to follow the intricate subtleties of an ignorant maniac in the outback who can’t even be bothered to use a grammar checker in his own language.

You’ll never get very far if you don’t try a lot harder than this, Kurks. Oh, and all that piffle about conjunctions and what-not?

Follow the gibberish, young man. Follow the gibberish!

2. kurkosdr says:

If you are still reading Ohioham, just do me a favor: Make sure you write English that can be parsed.

I don’t expect you to abide by the syntax rules of the English language, but please make sure that what you write can be interpreted as having only one meaning. In plain english, make sure I can fill in the gaps in a unique way.

Here is an example of how not to write: What meaning am I supposed to extract from this period?
    The stats apparently you want me dead kurkosdr so of course you are now on my blacklist.

First of all, the above period can’t be parsed by syntax rules, because it’s impossible to break the period down into sentences:
    [The stats apparently… lost sync here [you want me dead kurkosdr] [so of course you are now on my blacklist].

But, lets try to convert the above into proper english:
    The stats apparently (show) you want me dead kurkosdr so of course you are now on my blacklist.
    The stats (some non-guessable content here). Apparently you want me dead kurkosdr so of course you are now on my blacklist.
    The stats (and) apparently you want me dead kurkosdr, so of course you are now on my blacklist.

I am leaning on the first interpretation, but with ohioham you can never be sure.

No, Peter, apparently Kurks wants to share an ice floe with you. You are putting the wrong construction on his convivial little jeu-d’esprit.

Oh, and incidentally, you’re likely to get a much more polite response when you stop randomly labelling people as “idiots” and “incompetents” and otherwise insinuating that they don’t have any experience of what they are talking about.

You have noted that I call you “Fifi” as a matter of course. You have failed to note that I call you oiaohm when I feel you are making an attempt at normal human discourse, no matter what it might be.

Stop calling other people names, stop talking drivel, and perhaps we can all get back to calling you oiaohm.

(Whilst still, obviously, pointing out that you are a complete ignoramus and occasionally a shockingly insensitive clod.)

Something most people don’t get. Web sites allowing name calling end up blacklisted by some schools. TMR guys think its funny when in fact its criminal.

Again with the “criminal” nonsense, Mr Dolding?

So sue us, you ignorant lamp-post dweller.

6. kurkosdr says:

Ohioham is not my handle kurkosdr use it 1 more time and you are on my blacklist as well.

Ohioham

7. DrLoser wrote, “I assume, btw, that Italy is “exceptional” simply because it fell off a cliff and thereby failed to confirm your prejudices”.

Just look at the graph. You can clearly see that Italy reached over 4% during the period in question, quite an exceptional level. The others countries in my list while diverse had similar shapes, so I didn’t calculate using Italy in the sum. The fact that Italy slowed a bit is of no concern. What matters here is that at some point GNU/Linux computers were very active on the web in Italy. What the precise mechanics was, I don’t know, but clearly GNU/Linux was generated lots of page-views. I don’t think that for those weeks the other OS magically declined and then recovered. It’s much more likely that some major user(s) migrated to GNU/Linux and then dropped off the radar one way or another: say adding a firewall/whitelist or folks got down to work instead of browsing StatCounter’s sites all day. Without the “bump” Italy still went form 3% to 3.5% in the quarter, magnificent performance.

Of course I will still post but I will not be answering anything you ask of me.

9. kurkosdr says:

kurkosdr please be aware you are also on thin ice with me

How I am supposed to interpret the above?

I am on thin ice with Ohioham… Hmm… Does this mean we are both in danger?

kurkosdr please be aware you are also on thin ice with me. Something I never do is mess with another person handle.

11. kurkosdr says:

Just so everyone reading this post knows due to DrLoser constant determination to use FIFI instead of Oiaohm to refer to me there will be no answers coming to the items DrLoser has raised if you wish for me to answer them please do your own posts. DrLoser is on my ignore list.

I assume, btw, that Italy is “exceptional” simply because it fell off a cliff and thereby failed to confirm your prejudices, Robert?

I mean, Italy is a pretty exceptional place in all sorts of ways. How dreadful of it to let you down in the space of a mere few weeks of not very accurate web page counting.

Awful, awful. Shun these people! Shun them! Outliers! Outcasts! Heathens! Unbelievers, at least for a week or so!

Tune in next month for the Everyday Story of Roman Folk who have Finally Listened to Pogson.

Boffo!

(Dropped off a cliff in Italy. Apologies.)

Any explanation as to why Gnu/Linux page views have dropped off a cliff in the last two weeks, btw, Robert, as evidenced by that unfortunate little graph you high-lighted?

Maybe it’s a big roll-out of Windows.

Or maybe not. Maybe it’s just statistical variance.

Then again, Italy is not quite your sort of country. Like CERN, they speak too fast for your limited Manitoban education to cope with. Also, they’re not really an economic powerhouse, are they?

Begone with these losers! Roll on carefully-chosen bits of Indonesia, for example.

If FLOSS can’t win by dint of extremely dubious statistics, then what hope has Humankind left to it?

A small suggestion, Robert: by far the most popular desktop operating system in the world. Guess which one beats the crap out of your hand-picked “Gnu”/Linux statistics every single time?

Yes, that’s right. Macintosh OSX!

Every single time, in every single market, Robert. OSX beats out the sum total of all useless dingbat Linux desktops out there. You want to know why?

Because it works. And people pay for something that works.

16. Dr Loser says:

FLOSS galning: som gjør dere foretrekker, FLOSS eller olje inntekter?
    Norske mannen i gata: Vel, selvfølgelig, FLOSS. Det er den eneste måten å bli rik. Bortsett fra klar video involverer slem ting med syltet sild, selvfølgelig.

17. Dr Loser says:

You two can’t have it both ways, you know.

Either EU countries use FLOSS because they are “close to bankrupt” (regrettably, and this is a political mess, Greece is the poster child for this proposition) …

… or EU countries use FLOSS because “they are far and away more successful exporters by doing so” (Germany being the poster child for that one. Still an absurd proposition.)

C’mon, guys. Which one of the two is it to be?

18. Dr Loser says:

That’s not supported by reality. The heaviest users of FLOSS in EU are the wealthy countries, perhaps because they waste less of their money on software and reinvest the savings. e.g. France, Germany, Norway are quite well off. Spain and Italy are less so but still not basket-cases.

A risible proposition, Robert. Let’s take the over-optimistic assumption that IT is 20% of average GDP across the EU. (It isn’t.) Now let’s take the theoretical percentage of that IT that is related to Linux, according to StatCounter, in France and Germany (I pick the top two on your argument), which is about 3%.

Are you seriously suggesting that success, as a mature Western World economy, hinges upon 0.6% of the GDP being FLOSS? And that’s assuming that everything you say falls into place. FLOSS costs nothing. Everything else has no benefit above the bottom line.

What a garbage proposal that is. Anyhow, let’s examine your own list of “successful EU countries using FLOSS,” shall we?

* Italy (4.25%)
    * France (3.18%)
    * Greece (2.97%)
    * Germany (2.92%)
    * Spain (2.92%)
    * Finland (2.88%)
    * Ireland (2.81%)
    * Lithuania (2.69%)
    * Slovakia (2.65%)
    * Latvia (2.1%)
    * Luxembourg (2.05%)

… and eventually we get to Portugal (1.5%), which is slightly lower than the UK (1.51%).

There’s no obvious correlation there at all, is there? No disrespect to Italy, Greece or Ireland, but they’re basically first in line for an emergency handout.

And no disrespect to Lithuania, Slovakia or Latvia, but Powerhouses Of The Global Economy they are not.

kurkosdr there are many factors at play in the EU.
    1) Number of countries at close to bankrupt. So cannot afford closed source software.
    2) Security issues being confirmed that NSA has intentionally infected closed source.
    3) Competition worries.

1. I don’t think that any country whatsoever that is “close to bankruptcy” gives a toss about something as futile as cheese-paring the IT budget, Fifi.
    2. There’s a huge amount of hoopla about the NSA within the EEC, but it doesn’t mount to anything. And if it did, Google and Facebook and possibly even Twitter are first in line.
    3. Competition? What competition?

Robert Pogson the richest countries also hold the loans for the poorest in the EU. They are not stupid they want the loans paid back. There are a lot more to the EU mess than most show. You cannot get reports if the software is not there.

21. oiaohm wrote, “Number of countries at close to bankrupt. So cannot afford closed source software.”

kurkosdr there are many factors at play in the EU.
    3) Competition worries.

Basically it not one thing.

23. kurkosdr says:

BTW, what’s this fashination the EU has with FOSS? Are they trying to overcompensate for the fact that during the 90s, the EU was asleep on the wheel when it came to IT and computers? Do they think FOSS will help them to bridge the gap with the USA? Sorry Eurocrats, that train has departed.

To give you a sense of how much the Europe didn’t care about IT back then, they didn’t even bother to make sure computers used the ISO 8859-x text encodings, which gave us the moronic, superfluous, partially-compatible and hence annoying Windows-125x text encodings. And meanwhile MS Office was out there locking everyone in the .doc and .ppt formats, making competitor’s life hard, and Europe noticed only after it was too late.

24. kurkosdr says:

I particularly liked Italy:

“Oh look Mario, a free OS! …. WTF, this thing sucks” *goes back to pirating Windows, line starts to descend*