*/Linux Chugs Along Everywhere

For a whole month now the daily web-stats of GNU/Linux have a new trend, upwards 5.35 percentage points per annum. That’s what Canonical promised last year and it seems to be happening. It took a while to move the installed base…

I find interesting the weekday rates of usage. */Linux usage is growing every day of the week. Android/Linux seems to be getting more usage at home on weekends but weekday use is also growing. Chrome OS is getting more usage weekdays, perhaps at schools. It’s all good. FLOSS should be used in all ways every day of the week. Finally there is competition on retail shelves. I was in Walmart yesterday. The space left for that other OS is shrinking and sad. The notebooks appeared to have heavy black steel bars laid over them to prevent theft, as if anyone wanted them… Not one of the few working notebooks had anything useful onscreen. It was just a list of features or “welcome”… One desktop was underneath the shelves still in a box. I was the only human being near that shelf.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to */Linux Chugs Along Everywhere

Just wait, Chromebooks will allow 100% integration with Android apps and easily install Linux to coexist with ChromeOS at the same time.

The uptick of Linux will be astounding!

2. ram says:

I do think the traditional desktop machine is dead. Portable devices have more than enough power for office tasks. More and more I see office space set up with a large monitor, detached keyboard, and pointing device (often a mouse, but not always), but no CPU box. The user just brings their portable device and plugs in. That way the staff always have their work with them. They can continue work while commuting on public transport and their boss can call them and ask questions about a document out of hours. There is also a bit of a security improvement as the cleaning staff doesn’t get physical access to a whole office of CPUs and disk drives. (And I assure you, give me physical access to a machine and I can get in — quicker than most people can log in 😉

On the heavier side of computing, i.e. workstations, which have always been majority Linux or other Unix like OS, I note ASUS (and perhaps others) are now making Linux friendly motherboards for these. They take the latest Intel i7’s or Xeon’s with up to 14 cores per processor (28 threads). They have slots for at least 4 cluster computing boards (NVidia CUDA, Intel Phi, AMD OpenCL) and space for heaps of DDR4 memory.
    Fully decked out those should reach into the TeraFLOP range.

3. Yes, it’s wonderful to see:

4. Linuser says:

Dear Robert, see the trend of the last month in north america for Gnu Linux. Almost 10% per year?

Mettez un canard sur un lac au milieu des cygnes, vous verrez qu’il regrettera sa mare et finira par y retourner.

Wonderful thing, the Internet. Even if you can only see it on half your screen.

In other trawls, Robert, are you thinking about travelling down to Oregon to watch the 2017 Solar Eclipse? I would recommend it.

We might even be able to meet up and compare notes.

Having said that, when was the last time you bought a desktop or a laptop from Walmart?

On the spectrum of “customers willing to part with their hard-earned cash for anything at all, even in the cheapest and nastiest store within range,” you rate pretty much off the scale, don’t you?

I was in Walmart yesterday

Have you tried visiting sales emporia where people with actual folding cash go to buy desktops and laptops, Robert?

I admire your nostalgie de la boue, I really do, but though it works for you, it is probably not for all.

Which is presumably why shipments of desktops and laptops are still hovering around ~300 million per year. There are other sales channels, you know.