*/Linux Breaks 3% in Canada

It’s been a couple of months since I realized GNU/Linux was finally making a move in Canada, particularly on weekends, but now, almost two months into 2015, we see a huge trend continuing.

Oh, that unknown line? Does anyone think a significant quantity for that other OS or MacOS or iOS could be “unknown”? Who tweaks their UserAgent strings? I’ll call it some form of */Linux for the time being.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to */Linux Breaks 3% in Canada

So were is my software. Remember all those arguments that we need to provide software vendors with universal solutions….. The reality is every time Linux does the closed source software vendors mostly fail to turn up.

And that would be down to effectively zero income for the closed source vendors, or to a cretinous business model for any Linux platform that doesn’t rip off the FLOSS model, like Red Hat and IBM do, oiaohm?

The two possibilities are not exclusive.

DrLoser this is for Linux. Its distribution netural.

Since 2012 steam has been open to non game applications for Linux or Windows.

A meteorite strike possibly, Fifi?

Difficult to see how you can turn around a mammoth market like desktops PCs otherwise.
    DrLoser I don’t know but I can rule out Meteorite strike. Something happened end of 2014 start of 2015. Since then webstats has been showing what normally would be a year growth for Linux in many markets in 1 month by webstats.

This might be the huge volume of chromebooks that sold and people converting them to run linux to get more functionality.

This might be stats collection has altered somehow.

All we know at this stage is something happened 2014-2015. What is the million dollar question. Mind you russia is an abnormality to it but it has a huge increase in unknowns. Due to history of Russia made OS’s this is not exactly strange.

Like it or not DrLoser something is going down.

But, since you ask, yes. I’m one of those people. I confidently predict that 8.1 will reach 50% of what 7 has (today) — which is, generally speaking, about 45% of the market — some time round about the end of 2016.

DrLoser 100 percent disagree on this. The problem is you don’t have until 2016. Windows 8.1, 8.0 and Windows 7 will have free upgrade to Windows 10 for OEM/Retail product users this year some point. Then you will see all 3 fairly much dive. Windows 10 will pass 50 percent of what 7 has today. While this is going on seeing exactly what the Windows growth rate in stats is will be hard.

Apparently, you don’t realise that Bing is a search engine on a web site, Robert.

Let me repeat that. Bing is a search engine on a web site.

You know, a web site. As in, you can access it from your browser. Any browser. On any platform.

Now, I don’t necessarily recommend doing so. One has to keep Google’s profits up by click-bait and such. And it’s quite possible that Google gives better search results. In fact, the last time I tried the comparison test, Google won, 4-1.

But — “Bing doesn’t work for … most of those folks belong to large organizations using “Pro” whatever and large screens?”

What fresh idiocy is this, Robert?

Bing is a web site. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Something happened end of 2014 start of 2015. The Linux growth rate number in web stats is way up.

A meteorite strike possibly, Fifi?

Does anyone think it will exceed 50% of what “7” has today?

Not an especially interesting question, Robert, considering that the original 8 has already thrashed the Linux desktop to death. And that 8.1 looks quite healthy on your lovely little graph.

A little conservative, possibly. But you know me. I’ve taken too many risks with dreadful FLOSS software before, and “once bitten, twice shy.”

December 2016 it is, then. Care to pick a number for Debian in any market you choose at that point?

No? Thought not.

Yes then Valve provides the distribution neutral runtime.

Interesting, Fifi. Do go on. Possibly even link to that small thing.

2.96 is fast per year. This is in fact fairly fast. So double in 12 months pass XP in 2 years if it stays at this rate.

I have no desire at all to question your completely fatuous assumptions, Fifi.

In 2017, it will beat the completely obsolescent and sixteen year old Windows XP..

Which quite clearly means — The Year of The

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Not using either Java or X, I assume.

Or did I somehow mistake your emphatic assertion that you don’t need, or use, either of them?

Deaf Spy
    Arcgis is becoming questionable that you will use it in so many ways its not funny.

This is what is going on more and more fields are going open source.

kurkosdr its been possible for along time to ship binary applications for Linux in an Distribution neutral way. Remember steam store does take any kind of application if ISV wanted to list it. Yes then Valve provides the distribution neutral runtime.

kurkosdr the any random hardware does not work. Remember windows does not work right on a chromebook. I can pick out other Linux hardware where Windows will fail. Hardware has to match OS sorry that is reality.

Nvidia and other closed drivers on Linux since invention dkms the problems have dropped off massively http://linux.dell.com/dkms/.

Why when a kernel updates what ever drivers are in dkms get rebuild as required. Yes this can be a binary blob with wrapper. As long as the driver only uses officially declared stable APIs it works. Yes there have been a few issues with Nvidia having to wait for particular hardware support for particular internal kernel api’s to be stabilized.

kurkosdr from a practical point of view binary driver failing under Linux has been dead for years. Any partly doing a binary driver does a binary blob with wrapper like Nvidia and AMD does. AMD is talking about getting rid of binary blob.

kurkosdr install Google chrome goto Hulu under Linux and it works perfectly. X11 has been bipassed by using opengl functions. Yes flash under Firefox on Linux suxs. shumway from Mozilla already runs a lot of sites like Hulu. Yes shumway translate flash to html5 then use html5 rendering. Flash problem is on its last legs.

kurkosdr you must not have use linux since chrome got release or never installed chrome or Linux.

Deaf Spy accountancy packages was a big one. But more and more accountancy packages are cloud based or local http server based these days so OS neutral. So your accountancy could be done from a chromebook for all it matters. Reality the local application idea for accountancy dieing out fast.

ArcGIS vs qgis is not like photoshop vs gimp. This is a case that depending on usage 1 or the other has the advantage.

QGIS ArcGIS REST API Connector Plugin allows you to pull data out of ArcGIS servers and push the data into to like postgresql postgis and other formats that more applications on Linux support of course this is still in better.

QGIS is basically becoming a drop in replacement for ArcGIS desktop. So the ArcGIS stuff is just a matter of time. ArcGIS server side is Linux.

“AutoCAD / Photoshop / Finale / ArcGIS” Those combined is wayless than 10 percent in large businesses. In small business mostly only need on 1 machine at most unless is a specialist..

13. kurkosdr wrote, “the fact Windows with Bing is still around means there are still “non-Pro” users who prefer Windows to Desktop Linux. “

Well all kinds of bottom-feeders and stuff exists because there is some role for them in the ecosystem but “8” with or without anything else is not doing particularly well, e.g. not taking any share away from “7”.

Does anyone think it will exceed 50% of what “7” has today?

14. kurkosdr says:

The crimes? The crimes? If you think Nvidia has commited a crime, please start a lawsuit against them. Oh, I see, it’s only a crime under PogLaw, which applies in the sovereign nation of PogLand only. PogLaw is mainly StallmanLaw (which itself applies in the sovereing nation of FSFLand) slightly adapted. I know the feel bro, KurksLaw, which says Megan Fox should make me breakfast every morning, applies only in the sovereing nation of KurksLand, but said nation doesn’t have any territory. Neither does PogLand or FSFLand. Bummer.

Okay, sorry for the lame joke, couldn’t resist. If you can’t understand why forcing big-time IHVs and ISVs to change their entire business model and spill-out their trade secrets (for which they ‘ve paid millions in R&D) just to enter the tiny castle that is Desktop Linux, then I cannot realistically explain in a comment box why this strategy is a 1st class ticket to one-percent-land. IHVs and ISVs may open-source something if they think it’s beneficial (aka if their driver is so bad, they hope the communitah might improve it).

But see, people don’t like to hand-pick software and hardware based on what happens to be open-source, they want the best tool for the job. They want choice. Open-source and closed-source apps. That’s what Windows provides. And it does it even if you don’t run the latest version.

15. oldfart wrote, “IN the real world Robert Pogson, things do cost money you know.”

In the real world, GNU/Linux costs less so I can buy more. That’s good for the economy. It keeps more people working in more places. I’ve pointed out several times there are many ways for FLOSS programmers to be paid for their work. For instance, kernel developers have job-offers piling up. Many large organizations pay developers to keep their favourite software tuned up. It’s in-house support and it costs less because the load is shared with the rest of the world. Do the maths. If there are 12 guys working on software Z and you only have to pay one of them to be current, supported, confident that it will continue to work, aren’t you further ahead compared to paying a huge licensing fee per copy for thousands of copies? Yes. The world is huge and can easily afford to make its own software and share the result. That sharing saves MONEY and TIME. We don’t need to be divided and conquered by the likes of M$ and “partners”.

16. oldfart says:

“So, Deaf Spy’s “reasons” are vapour, nothing to impede folks from using GNU/Linux at all.”

Translation: Linux as a desktop works for Robert Pogson who is willing to continually tune and tinker and of course Adapt himself so that he can continue to use the el cheapo solution that he has foisted on family members.

The world does not need to cheap out and lock itself into a half assed OS when it can purchase working solutions and just get on with business.

17. kurkosdr wrote, “Upgrades break binary drivers and old apps, while new apps require the latest LTS to work.”

My Beast has no broken drivers. I’m running Linux 18.7. I upgrade frequently. How do you explain that? Oh, it’s the source code. My Linux kernel has drivers for everything I need. I even build them in so I don’t need to bother with modules, except for a few of my favourites…
    lsmod
    Module Size Used by
    snd_aloop 18203 2
    r8169 61449 0
    amd64_edac_mod 26395 0
    edac_mce_amd 17070 1 amd64_edac_mod
    edac_core 38610 2 amd64_edac_mod
    mii 12675 1 r8169

Don’t blame Linux for the crimes of folks like Nvidia who did not participate in Linux fully in the past. They are there now and their stuff works, mostly. I don’t use systemd nor pulseaudio so my system works for me. I used to suspend quite successfully but now that The Little Woman is on a thin client, that’s extra work, so Beast runs 24×7. For a time she was having display problems but those were fixed by an upgrade and her thin client has not been rebooted for 11 days.

So, Deaf Spy’s “reasons” are vapour, nothing to impede folks from using GNU/Linux at all, even Netflix.

18. oldfart says:

” Why bother with Wintel?”

Because it runs the software that I wish to use, and I am not a cheapskate like you who “basks in the warm glow” of other peoples work which they give away at no cost.

IN the real world Robert Pogson, things do cost money you know.

19. kurkosdr says:

So, the fact Windows with Bing is still around means there are still “non-Pro” users who prefer Windows to Desktop Linux.

Let me repeat it for the 36th time: Desktop Linux is bad even as an Internet, Video player and utorrent bed. Here are the problems:

1) Upgrades break binary drivers and old apps, while new apps require the latest LTS to work. This is very bad, imagine if all those Windows 7 users, were forced to either upgrade to Win8 with Barney Puke Screen (metro), or could not download the latest apps. But Windows 7 users can have the latest apps, and this is what makes Windows better than Desktop Linux

2) Lip-sync (latency) issues with PulseAudio

3) Misc stuff like suspend not working too great.

Bonus content: Are we allowed to mention Linux’s poor flash support (which stems from X.org’s suckiness) or not anymore? Last time I checked, Hulu won’t move away from flash, and it’s a high-demand content. So do smaller websites run by TV stations around the globe. But anyway, forget about that, let’s focus on the 3 issues outlined above.

20. Deaf Spy wrote, or GNU/Linux machines costing less, “No, they don’t, since Windows with Bing came around.”

In the same comment stating that folks couldn’t live without AutoCAD etc… Obviously most of those folks belong to large organizations using “Pro” whatever and large screens. Bing doesn’t work for them. For the folks who can live with small screens etc. that other OS still costs more, more malware, more re-re-reboots, more restrictions in the EULA, stuff no one wants. M$ will have to pay people to take it to level the playing field. Don’t blame GNU/Linux that M$ has become fat and lazy in all those years of monopoly.

BTW, I have two Atomic PCs. One of them sucks royally. ARM has no problem pleasing people. Why bother with Wintel?

21. Deaf Spy says:

The fact is there’s no good reason not to make and sell */Linux products.
    There is one. They cannot run AutoCAD / Photoshop / Finale / ArcGIS / accounting software out of the box. Yes, very few percentage of people need one of these. But, important thing is, that these are needed by different groups of people. Aggregated, you will be surprised by the total number of people who need something special.

They cost less than that other OS.
    No, they don’t, since Windows with Bing came around.

Just check Banggood. Windows-based atoms for less than $100. Why bother with Linux?

22. oiaohm wrote, “in the last 2 months most markets have done what traditionally would be 3 years of Linux growth in 2 months.”

Yes, that’s what having salesmen and OEMs shipping ChromeBooks and GNU/Linux desktops/notebooks and Android/Linux thingies can do. I think the supply chain is finally hedging its bets in case all of M$’s products sputter like Phoney “7”. The fact is there’s no good reason not to make and sell */Linux products. They work for people. They cost less than that other OS. With this movement a lot more products will become available for GNU/Linux. ISVs might ignore ~1% of the market but ~2%+ means real money can be made. I think GNU/Linux has been around 10% for a while. StatCounter is just catching up. So will everyone else.

DrLoser you did not read the per Annum growth rate.

Please note in the last 2 months most markets have done what traditionally would be 3 years of Linux growth in 2 months.

I might have done that many years ago for some particular page.

You against 10,000,000 Linux desktop (non Debian) users and 1,000,000,000 Apple & Voldemort browsers, Robert. I like those numbers.

Presumably you used an incredibly fat pipe and, of course, the Beast of Beasts, equipped with a suitable Curl script turned into optimised Pascal?

It’s certainly not that other OS because M$ likes to brag.

I don’t think they’re quite as manically desperate to brag as you are, Robert.

What’s the world-wide “unknown” percentage? Maybe 1%? As Kurks points out, that wouldn’t even make much of a dent in Windows XP, of all things.

26. kurkosdr wrote, “If you click on the link you provide, you ‘ll see that what you refer as “unknown” is in-fact referred as “other”.”

No, it’s not. Look in the .CSV. I can’t provide a link to that because it’s a javascript but there is an “other” column, an “unknown” column and a “Lose 10” column:
    “Date Win7 OS X Win8.1 WinXP WinVista Win8 Linux Unknown Chrome OS Win2003 Win10 Win2000 Other”

We only know “unknown” is a */Linux because they called it Android in the desktop category all over the world. Without more transparency, I think it’s a */Linux. It’s certainly not that other OS because M$ likes to brag. There are places where users do tweak their UserAgents, like Brazil, or is that the Brazilian OEMs? I don’t know but it’s not widespread. I don’t think I’ve ever done it and I don’t know anyone who has. I have read that some people pretend to be that other OS so that web-pages will cooperate but that’s rare now. I might have done that many years ago for some particular page.

27. kurkosdr says:

“I’ll call it some form of */Linux for the time being.”

If you click on the link you provide, you ‘ll see that what you refer as “unknown” is in-fact referred as “other”. “Other” does not mean “unknown”, it means stuff that is below 1% and does not get a separate mention. Everything else is in there, from Solaris to the BSDs (the “unknown giant” among free OSes, aka your freedom-loving cousins who believe in the Sect Of The BSD, instead in the Order Of The Holy GNU)

Anyway, I don’t care if that 1% of “others” belongs to Linux or the BSDs.

What I DO care about is the fact Windows freaking XP is sitting strong at 7%. In 2015! Oh, how the “actual benefit” software provides to the average layperson has failed to advance in a meaningful way (Windows and Desktop Linux). We consider the fact that 7% of users are still rocking a 15-year old OS as acceptable. Can you imagine if, in 2001, 7% of users walked the web with Windows 3.0, running on the trusty old MS-DOS 3.3?

Microsoft must really hate Chrome, for converting all those WinXP turd-boxes into something that can still surf the web adequately (and with some help from MPC-HC, they can even play video). Which is what most Windows users use their PC for anyway. Microsoft would prefer you used some old version of IE on XP, while planning your upgrade.