Amazing Amazon.com

Amazon published some amazing statistics. Some that are relevant to this blog:

• “Nearly 60 percent of Amazon.com customers shopped using a mobile device this holiday. Mobile shopping accelerated as customers got later into the shopping season.”
  • Top selling Computers: “Acer C720 Chromebook (11.6-inch, 2GB); ASUS Chromebook 13-inch with Gigabit WiFi (16GB, 2GB); HP 11-2010nr 11.6-inch Chromebook (Snow White)”

That’s a testimony to how far Wintel has fallen as a force in consumer-IT. Wintel used to have >90% of the market. Intel used to have 80% of the legacy PC market. Now they have to sell Atoms and Celerons to remain relevant because Chromebooks do more computing on servers. Of course Intel is doing great on servers but so is GNU/Linux. Acer struggled to make a living with Wintel but is thriving with ChromeBooks. Acer has 35% of that market and is making a 15.6″ ChromeBook.

See Amazon Media Room: Press Releases.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Amazing Amazon.com

1. ram says:

Microsoft never had the so called market share they claimed. Perhaps in North America, but not even close in Europe and Asia.

He, he, he, he… oldfart thought his SmartTV was running Windows.

I think your deductive powers failed you on this one, Matchrocket. That’s precisely the opposite of oldfart’s point.

Consequently, the rest of your post (which relied heavily on an antecedent) was completely futile, wasn’t it?

“Too late for Microsoft to close the barn door – Windows 10 might woo back users that have left for Chromebooks and other platforms. The biggest problem for Microsoft is that those using Chromebooks have had a taste of life outside of the Windows ecosystem, and they like it. They like it a lot!”

Exactly, people realize that M$ is not needed anymore for their daily computing requirements.

4. matchrocket says:

He, he, he, he… oldfart thought his SmartTV was running Windows. Now why would a TV manufacture want to add $100 to the price of their product? Or $50, or $25 or any amount when they don’t have to? The answer is they don’t. They use Linux and modify it to their specific needs.

He, he, he, he… What a dolt! Windows on a SmartTV. Maybe in the early days when they cost a small fortune but not now when the competition is tough.

HAHAH..

‘The Linux desktop does NOT meet my needs with what it does, nor does it have the level of commercial support that I require”…correct, it does not meet YOUR needs. So with that said, the old adage “the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few” rings true. Which is brilliant, as M$ is not catering to the needs of the many anymore, in fact they refuse to listen to customers and are only worried about themselves.

“Oh and BTW, the fact that the vendor cobbled together a client from FOSS and Linux to imbed in its commercially offered product means nothing to me. It stays out of my way and does what it wat it is designed for.”

This part is Golden, you say you want something to stay out of your way, but woe, when it magically comes to the Desktop, you prefer M$ dogfood thats gets in your way in every manner of speaking…..WOW.

6. oldfart says:

“So in your warped-mind Linux is fine for devices, but Desktop? Nah…”

There is nothing warped about my mind. But I shall try to put it in terms that even you can understand Dougie.

The roku met my requirements with what it did.
    The My TV met my needs with what it did.
    The Linux desktop does NOT meet my needs with what it does, nor does it have the level of commercial support that I require.

Its that simple.

LOL…. the Roku runs Linux fool.

My Samsung TV runs Linux and I am sure your does as well.

So in your warped-mind Linux is fine for devices, but Desktop? Nah…

8. oldfart says:

“…and the M$ holdouts will argue otherwise till they are blue in the face. They do not see the big picture, of what lays years down the road. ”

WHat don’t we see dougie? That my TV has a built in client and can be equipped with a keyboard for surfing the web and ordering internet based streaming services. Actually its a lot more convenient than my Roku was, and it doesnt pretend to be able to meet all my computing needs.

Crapbooks, who needs ’em !

Funny how little power M$ has over the market these days, they push a product people *shrug* and keep walking.

I suspect that M$ will build a Chromebook clone, but with a company that has so many VPs and a CEO that continues to carry “Ballmers Vision” I doubt that may happen. They are not flexible enough in the short term.