Nope. Munich Never Happened. – Deny, Deny, and Deny Some More

“Which brings me to Linux, and whether it is a viable alternative to a new Windows OS. It isn’t. The same arguments I have put forward for needing to migrate Windows-based applications to a VDI platform hold true for Linux. We live in a business world full of Windows applications and Linux will only support these applications through a VDI solution.” I read this today:

Of course, that makes no sense. Munich happened. Extremadura happened. The French National Police happened. Google happened. Indian banks happened. Wall Street happened. It’s not always hard to do and the benefits can be huge:

“I have personally witnessed one IT director and his staff running from server to server, room to room all day long, several days a week just trying to keep their stuff alive. There I sat in the same office but next to a perfectly good Linux server handling about the same number of users with an up time of over 120 days. I assure you I was not doing daily maintenance, worrying about failures, or running around like this. “

Businesses can and do run GNU/Linux on their clients, especially if they are thin clients, they use web-applications or a GNU/Linux application will do the jobs businesses need done.
See Migrating from Windows XP to VDI, Linux or BYOD. Is it a Non-Starter?.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to Nope. Munich Never Happened. – Deny, Deny, and Deny Some More

DrLoser
    I could say this about you. Take your classic restore points. Computers with SSD and normal harddrive combinations they are problems. Only a person doing support is aware of this.

I don’t have complete ignorance to Microsoft technologies at all. I do have flaws in my information but so do you.

DrLoser Microsoft VAR gives you access to extra support data. When I am maintained a lot of Windows systems it is handy.

Considering that it cost you nothing to sign the back of the bubblegum wrapper and send it off, Fifi, I’d assume it’s very handy indeed.

However. Once we get into the realm of “support,” it’s only fair to consider the people that you “support.”

Given your evident visceral hatred of Microsoft, combined with your complete ignorance of Microsoft technologies (or indeed simple platform issues), may I gently suggest .,.

That you add no obvious value whatsoever?

I’ll go further. Should you, by some horrible train-wreck accident, acquire a client who presently uses Microsoft software at whatever level, you’d actually be losing them time and money with your uninformed and malicious and ignorant advice, wouldn’t you?

Why not just concentrate on being a Debian VAR? I understand that it’s a growing market.

DrLoser http://searchitchannel.techtarget.com/definition/VAR Problem here is VAR is a generic term. But every group has its own idea of who can use the title. Just because setup systems with Debian and other Linux’s on in the Debian world does not give me the right to claim as a reseller. Even if I put custom solutions on it.

“value-added reseller” The key word here is reseller. Reseller in Linux world is making a custom distributions. So Ubuntu is a value-added reseller of Debian.

That level of decision-making is speculative at best, I think. But, a very interesting observation. You may well have joined an equivalent oversight/standards/etc body (I haven’t), so you would know more about this first-hand than I.

My second-hand observations (ISO, British Engineering Standards Association, maybe a couple of others) is that people get attached to these bodies for one of two reasons:

1. They are extremely enthusiastic: which certainly fits the Munich guys. Such groups will lobby their bosses until they get a sign-off; not the other way around.
    2. They are a day-to-day burden on their employers. In this case the employer is better served farming them off somewhere harmless; and as a bonus the employer gets to boast about recognition on “international standards bodies.”

I’m certainly not suggesting option (2) for the Munich guys. But I do rather doubt that it would take a full vote in Council to make this sort of decision. The Head of Department would surely suffice.

That’s an unusual way of looking at political decisions, Robert. Politics in general, and German politics in particular, are a matter of horse-trading. Your belief would be bolstered significantly if Christian Ude regarded LiMux as one of his signature achievements, but it doesn’t appear that he does:

The fifty-seven year old politician is a lawyer with a respectable bibliography of publications – both political and of a more general nature. He has been active in the Munich Social Democratic Party (SPD) since the seventies, and has been Mayor since September 1993, at the head of a coalition between the SDP and the Green Party…

Indeed, Mayor Ude told City Mayors that Munich, in comparison with the other major German cities, had the lowest unemployment, the highest purchasing power per capita, the largest number of places of education, by far the highest communal investment budget, the lowest crime figures, the highest cultural and recreational opportunities. Along with Cologne, it has the highest birth rate among German cities – with a surplus of births over deaths for the first time in thirty years, and the best childcare arrangements in Bavaria.

No mention in the whole article of Linux, LiMux, or indeed of computers.

By the way DrLoser don’t go throwing the title of Debian VAR.

I was joking, oiaohm. I didn’t even know that such a thing as a “Debian VAR” existed. Now that I know it does, I’m surprised you’re not one — as your history as an erstwhile “Microsoft VAR” demonstrates, you’re all too eager to sign up for things you find handed out for free on the back of a bubble-gum wrapper.

My main point still holds, though. No matter which technology platform you choose as your base, you don’t seem to add any value at all. Quite the reverse, in fact.

Where is the value in M$?

103 reviews! with rating of less then one..LOL!! (0.63 / 10)

By the way DrLoser don’t go throwing the title of Debian VAR. I am not on the list for that.
    Where is my name in either list. Its not there right.

Debian project does not have title of VAR because that is a Microsoft title. But there is formal equivalence. Basically please don’t go around making terms and more lies DrLoser.

DrLoser
    Or alternatively I could just look at my work laptop (new as of 1st Jamuary 2014) and wonder why Dell even bothered with a D: partition.
    Sony class infection that D: partition to recover from is gone.

So by doing that increase the odds that something can infect you computer and leave you screwed so hopefully get you to buy a new computer.

In passing, what would your definition of “a city” be, oiaohm? Does it involve more than one stop-light? I imagine that cathedrals are out of the question. Possibly even civic corporations.
    The Australian define of a city. A population greater 20 000 with an Urban Center and Urban Center mandates at least 1 civic corporation. You come a town in Australia as soon as your population drops under 20000.

Cities in Australia don’t have to have stoplights heck they don’t even have to have pavement or any other form of fancy road work. Heck they don’t even have to have a house above ground.

200KM is 2 hours of drive and I would pass 3 formal large cities(populations over 100 000) with no Internet cafe. Pain in but level. Nowhere by Australia is 1000KM’s to the near human.

DrLoser there is a complete capital city in Australia without an Internet Cafe. Every Internet cafe that has opened has gone under in that capital city. Australian customers hate the noise of keyboards when eating.

There is another reason for it. Driver to a city book into a hotel room get Internet connection. Very costly connection. There is no money in most areas in Australia to make opening a Internet cafe.

DrLoser the numbers in Australia work out to about 1 Internet cafe to about every 4 million people. So about 6 of them in the complete country.

DrLoser debian installation media interesting enough you can get by your local public library here in Australia. There is a overnight/weekly service for moving books and other items around between libraries. Weekly for towns. This is a zero cost service. Full debian with full discs and up to date fairly easy to get. Debian at worst will be 12 months old from the library. This is way better than 3+ years old from an OEM for Windows 7.

DrLoser
    200 KM away from civilisation
    How many KM do you think ADSL 1 goes. Max range with boosts if lucky is 25 KM. If you are 200KM away from civilization you are using sat.

DrLoser

Doing this with HP or Dell or any of the other major vendors in Australia. You will waste 4 hour phone and just just to top off that 4 hour wait you will be asked to pay about 60 dollars for postage and handling and it will not be sent by express post so you may not see for another month. Since they sold it to you as it where is they don’t have to provide anything more than crappy service. Law says as long as they get the discs in 90 days it fine and its cheaper to go slow mail.

Then when final get the discs you will find out about the as is where is clause in their contracts. This means the install media will contain no updates. It will be install the same OS that was installed when the computer was new its your job to apply updates.

DrLoser Dell. HP and many others don’t slipstream discs with updates at all in Australia but they do slipstream with extra stuff that kinda ruins using any standard slipstreaming tool.

Yes you have a better chance walking into a news-agency to buy a Linux Distribution on the front cover of a book.

DrLoser it was a lot better before the release of Windows 7. You would at-least get the discs in 7 days in the time of vista.

Mac, debian even QNX you can get the discs by express post so inside 7 days almost anywhere in Australia.

DrLoser the reality is a lot of thing sound simple. Exactly why will I waste time making up current disc and using my companies quota when if I don’t you may buy a new computer. OEM’s in Australia want people to give up and just buy a new computer. That is the way their customer service is geared.

9. DrLoser wrote, “wonder why Dell even bothered with a D: partition”.

It’s part of the slavery M$ imposes. If you’re going to distribute M$’s OS, you’re going to have to pay to restore it or the consumers might get restless… Hey, they have. Dell had a pretty good quarter and a decent year but they got increased share of a shrinking pie… While Wintel made Dell a lot of money over the years, there’s not much future growth left. When those restore-partitions work, the consumer doesn’t need a new PC and when they don’t they have other choices. It would be interesting to see what Dell’s mix of */Linux and that other OS are, but they went “private”.

10. DrLoser wrote, “if the City of Munich reverts to a Microsoft solution, what would you say?”

The taxpayers, more likely, would say “WHAT? YOU SAVED ALL THAT MONEY AND YOU’RE GOING BACK BECAUSE THE MAYOR LIKES M$?!”. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime. It’s not as if they are locked-in to GNU/Linux, but it will be a lot of work to convert everything. They’ve done that work for GNU/Linux so there’s not much point in re-inventing the wheel. GNU/Linux is working. They will keep it.

BTW, Munich just joined the board of The Document Foundation. I don’t think the city would allocate personnel to that role without approval of upper management. Typically that would be voted by council. If there’s not momentum to return to M$’s office suite, I doubt there is any momentum to return to M$’s OS, the office suite being the chief lock-in. I suspect the new mayor will pull in his horns before the next election. The voters would likely be interested to know why he wanted to be re-elected for wasting $millions, effectively doubling the cost of migrating to “7” or “8.*”. Ude support Reiter. I doubt he would have done that if he thought there was any chance of going back to that other OS.

Anecdotally, of course, but still up and fully responsive.

Star date GMT 22:51 14/01/2015.

Oh, what an absolute pain in the patootie that was.

Anyway, ignoring oiaohm (which we should all do, including you, Robert), here’s a question that actually relates to the OP.

It may never happen. But if the City of Munich reverts to a Microsoft solution, what would you say?

Well, if you’ll excuse me, Robert, I need to re-re-reboot my Windows 7 machine for the onerous update thingie. I had this horrid little warning on the start menu. Oh well, as Captain Oates memorably said:

“I am just going outside and may be some time.”

Star date GMT 22:44 14/01/2015.

DrLoser exactly where do you get ready made updated Windows images for Dell, HP….. The major players. Heck you don’t even get re-installation cds these days unless you burn them yourself or by from a white box provider.

Goodness me, there must be some reason for that.

Golly, I wonder what it might be? Furthermore, I wonder whether or not it is bog-standard?

You lose, Fifi.

I am in a city the nearest Internet Cafe is 200 KM away in a different city.

You wouldn’t be much use as a Microsoft VAR, then, would you? Come to think of it, you wouldn’t be much use as a Debian VAR. In fact, frankly, you wouldn’t be much IT use at all. Which certainly fits your historical profile of seven years and counting.

But, no matter. You know what customers in this position do, 200 KM away from a different form of nowhere?

They ask for the ISOs to be posted to them. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a Mac, a Windows, a Debian, or even a QNX ISO.

If you’re 200 KM away from civilisation, and the best you can manage is a low-end ADSL1 connection at say 300 Kbps upload …

… You ask for the ISOs to be posted to you. It does tend to save those wonky 12 hours of sitting by the modem, you know.

DrLoser now really keep on going you need to provide the following cites.

After you, Fifi. Remember: I wasn’t the one who had a hissy fit and dropped the idea of cites in the first place.

And obviously you are not going to retract that absurd position. Obviously. Because you are absurd to the core.

I did indeed, Robert. Purposefully, because I was hoping for a response from somebody who knows what he’s talking about.

Now, a slip-streamed Windows 7 (or even Windows XP) ISO image is going to come out at around 6GB, I think. Bear in mind that you can optimise a slip-stream and get the system net-ready to download the trivial amounts of updates (< ~250MB, I think, open to discussion) for everything else.

I've installed Wheezy on a virtual machine, and the three ISOs take, let me look it up …

DVD-1: 3.9GB
    DVD-2: 4.6GB
    DVD-3: 4.5GB

Now, it’s important to note that I don’t object to this volume. And it’s quite possible to install Wheezy using only the first two ISO images. In fact, with some effort, you could probably get away with just the first one.

But oiaohm is claiming that somebody in a rural town somewhere in Australia, at the end of an ADSL1 connection, and with a deep need to install Windows X from scratch, is going to be magically inconvenienced by the measurable fact that this installation process will take upwards of twelve hours.

I’m not claiming that said customer wouldn’t be better off installing Debian Wheezy.

I am making what I think is a more moderate and entirely incontrovertible claim.

Installing Debian Wheezy over the same connection would take pretty much the same amount of time, if not even longer.

Thus, oiaohm’s claims are proven to be empty and fatuous as usual.

Now, on the subject of installing Debian over a similar connection … that would be well worth a proper discussion with intelligent people who don’t hang around lamp-posts for a living.

17. DrLoser threw hamburger into shark-filled waters with, “a Debian installation is very definitely not going to be any quicker.”

I’ve done a few installations of Debian GNU/Linux and the slowest of them, onto ancient PCs, was hours faster than a supposed “restoration” from CDs with “7” I did taking a GNU/Linux machine back to M$’s clutches on new hardware. There were so many re-re-reboots, “starting up”s, and “wait, wait, please wait”s and still “7” could not handle the desktop printer that GNU/Linux used so nicely. It was one of the worst evenings of my life, right up there with a broken leg or food-poisoning.

One of the neat things I love about installing Debian GNU/Linux is that you can skip much of the default installation and with a truly minimal installation you can quickly set up the environment you want and then leave the lower-priority things to install in the background while you actually use your new system. On reasonable hardware, one can be done the initial installation in a few minutes, using your chosen environment in a few minutes more and be done when APT has installed everything in your list. Thanks to APT, you don’t even need a complete list, just the top layer that the user might see. It’s like having a “Start” button on a roughed-in house. You sit down sipping lemonade while the house finished itself. After all the indignities M$ imposes, you still have only an empty shell. With GNU/Linux, you have a working system.

DrLoser now really keep on going you need to provide the following cites.
    1 system builder requirements to customers for Windows 7.
    2 at least one Internet Cafe terms somewhere that allows you to download large files. Because they don’t exist here maybe USA is different.

Who knows what drivers you might be missing?”
    That is the right question for you number 2 method. Method 1 is in fact use makers install discs so missing drivers should not be the problem.

DrLoser spend some time looking up what WSUS Offline is. 1 its useful for updating computers without a Internet connection. Two it allows you to use Manufacture installation discs that are out of date and are slipstream incompatible.

WSUS Offline is the service pack response problem is Microsoft has not been giving us service packs that we can hand to out customers with poor Internet links to keep them updated inside 12 months of current.

Please note Windows 7 has not been like XP. Windows 7 only got 1 Service pack. XP was different problem. Windows 7 Service pack 1 is February 22, 2011. So a installation disc up to the last release of Windows 7 still needs 3 years of updates. Windows driver installers are not ensured to tested with the latest release worse they are only ever tested against releases.

Slipstream it response DrLoser is exactly the same as Restore points. Anyone suggesting just that is a idiot there are conner cases that kill you.

Heck XP SP3 is out of date without all current updates applied. The updates from XP SP3 to last provided patch is a few GB. Yes larger than the Windows installation disc. In fact they will not all slipstream you attempt it get broken installation disc.

Windows 7 it is currently still possible to slipstream all the updates as long as the drivers agree but you cannot validate the disc. You cannot put official label of a service pack version on it because Microsoft has not been releasing Windows 7 Service packs.

To get updated debian disc its not download the full disc again.

DrLoser please look up how debian does it. Debian provides an Official approved install image update at a min once every 12 months with a method to produce image identical to that image by reusing as much as possible from the discs you already have.

Windows slipstream does not promise that you will end up with a disc identical to what Microsoft or OEM would have shipped. In fact since a slipstream disc is not in fact identical to what Microsoft or OEM would have shipped you cannot checksum it for errors. Yes slipstreaming point of view just shows DrLoser is a idiot. If you cannot validate the disc you cannot be sure you will not be forced to start over because the disc is broken.

Primary support tech no OEM provides this any more on Windows 7. Windows 7 is bought as is where is on all OEM installed copies. Primary support tech had to be provided to Windows XP as part of being a System Builder. Microsoft dropped this requirement on Windows 7.

Supervisors will not make up premade images that are not matches to official discs 2 that means they get to bill the customer less hours.

DrLoser do not bring Windows XP into a debate about Windows 7. The licensing on OEM system builders changed with Windows 7.

All these update issues is part of the reason why Munich using Linux saves resources.

DrLoser
    I am in a city the nearest Internet Cafe is 200 KM away in a different city. Australia Internet Cafes are rarities. Worse Most Internet Cafes in Australia have download limits smaller than 1 CD most common is about 200 megs per account. Yes this is rip backpackers off. So the suggesting of drive to nearest Internet Cafe does not work for majority.

Now if I include bunnings and Mcdollands who include wifi yes you have closer but again those you will there longer than ADSL 1 connection because they are speed limited here. Yep 9 hours to download a CD by their connections. Its like trains and buses in Brisbane free wifi 20 megs then we cut you connection. Forget free and legal Internet connections here if updated OS as well.

Australia it is buy or borrow from a friend or steal Internet connection if you wish to update an OS. Interesting enough the same problem with Internet cafes having bugger all quota apply in a lot of Asian countries and part of the reason why pirated install media is in such high volume.

DrLoser Australia is far better of than a lot of other countries to attempt an OS update. You would not all Australia the best or worst. Even so updating windows here can be completely hell.

One can carve up the general population in several statistical ways. 3%, I find, suffer (like me) from manic depression. 1% are simply psychopaths.

If 1% of the population chooses not to throw end-of-life hardware in the bin, that’s fine by me. It might not register on DSM IV. They may even be lovely and generous and wonderful people, every last manjack and womanjackie of them.

But, you know what? I’m not going to obsess over the sub-set of that 1% who don’t own a decent internet connection, cannot even be bothered to drive to the nearest Internet Café and rent a decent internet connection, and consequently have to spend 12 hours following the splay-foot suggestions of an amateur “helper” downloading Windows updates from scratch.

Some things in life are just far, far too trivial to sputter about in the manner of oiaohm trying to create an issue where none exists.

Bad news this idea [slipstreaming] does not work all the time. Why particular drivers don’t install properly activate properly after particular updates are applied.

Let me walk you patiently through the two alternatives, oiaohm.

1. An incompetent primary support tech (in this case, you) recommends that their client sits on the end of a wonky ADSL1 connection for twelve hours on the grounds that “it just might be necessary. Who knows what drivers you might be missing?”
    2. A vaguely competent primary support tech (just about anybody else on minimum wage) goes through their support checklist, finds that a ready-made ISO image is not available, and forwards a ticket to their supervisor to slipstream a basic XP SP3 or whatever. The customer downloads this. It takes about the same time as it takes to download, say, the Debian Wheezy ISOs, because it is roughly the same size (possibly smaller). The customer installs off it, connects to the internet, and updates all the missing drivers, assuming there are any missing, and assuming this does not happen automatically.

Net result of (2): A customer who hasn’t had to fart around simply on the say-so of an incompetent.
    Net result of (1): A customer who has had to fart around simply on the say-so of an incompetent.

And note that, in either case, a Debian installation is very definitely not going to be any quicker.

DrLoser Please note that link was not me going specially looking. It was just me catching up on some cluster file system reading.

Who cares? In what possible way is this worth mentioning?

23. dougman wrote, “the value in MicroSh1t?? I never saw any”.

For a few years it was useful on the early PCs. It was someone else’s product. After the monopoly, it was all downhill. I still have flashbacks about crossing my fingers when printing or saving files and then there was the incessant rattling of the hard drive after the desktop appeared with attendant wait-wait-waiting…

Value?? HAH!..where is the value in MicroSh1t?? I never saw any, always breaking down and rebooting constantly.

DrLoser I don’t see what is the big deal about being a Microsoft Var. It is a zero cost registration form. With no exam requirement. Only thing you require is a business number. If I want to be a Microsoft Var again its just fill in form again.

DrLoser change of work I am currently not VAR. So doing a current bing search now is not going to help you. But if you had of at the time it would have not worked either.

DrLoser note I have not said it for a while it been you idiots saying it.

Basically you have to know where the public list of people who are “Value-Added Reseller” to search it google or bing will not work. For someone who claims to have worked at Microsoft not knowing where the search of this list happens to be a good laugh.

A small twitch almost caused me to ask what is wrong with ADSL2 in your area, oiaohm, but that question is irrelevant to the Microsoft VAR thing.
    70 of ADSL supporting telephone exchanges in Australia are only ADSL1. No ADSL2 dslams at all. Yes 30 percent of ADSL support telephone exchanges have some ADSL2 but that is not every connection so a mix of ADSL1 and ADSL2.

This is part of the problem with software going Internet, Internet, Internet. There are a lot of places where that idea just will not work.

DrLoser complete cities here have the same speed connection it does not matter if you are IT Officer or some home user being ADSL1 and it does not matter how much money you have to spend. There is no faster connection to get. There are a few cities in Australia with no ADSL or dialup only option sat too. High compressed Microwave links for voice do a real number digital fax and modem signals.

Bad news this idea does not work all the time. Why particular drivers don’t install properly activate properly after particular updates are applied. Yes fine of you install the drivers before applying the updates. There is a reason why I said “WSUS Offline Update disc”

DrLoser like it or not old machines people attempt to repair themselves without the support of IT Officers and make huge messes of it. Its the 1% of the population who don’t throw the old machine straight in the bin.

DrLoser
    What is the point of looking up crap about NT and DEC unless:
    There was a very big reason. Trying to find exactly why benchmark after benchmark with software that should go like the bat out of hell was not. Was not like the all the software was defective somewhere. This is a case it was good for me to lose a percentage of my memory. If I was still believing the crap I learnt from Microsoft books used in courses I would have had no clue about the real history of NT.

The fact you say you have worked with QNX you should be able to find the right book on Microkernels. QNX was a commercial Microkernel before NT existed. Basically DrLoser the list of OS’s you just gave meant you should have straight up started questioning the Microsoft document you pulled due to the pack of in the face lies that you should be able to 100 percent confirm. You cannot get any more direct than no commercial Micro-kernels.

That was from Oldfarts quote. I did not bother.

Looking at my resume will not help me with this. I did not record when I used different bits of hardware that were back-end to what I was doing that turned out to be useless.

DrLoser would you record every ADSL modem type you use on your resume including the ones that work poorly.

I will throw you a bone of a cite as an exception DrLoser particularly that this one is interesting to anyone else reading what oldfart has been going on about. But this cite is not really for you.

Remember I said I had moved on to Cluster file-systems. I am not alone in after moving to Cluster file-systems having a hate for IBM SVC and its still happening today. Also I am not alone in not exactly getting the defects right with IBM SVC.

Basically I was singled out on what is basically common behavior for people with the same background history as me. This is human you try to explain failure the thing is you don’t always get it right. Some have run some more benchmarks finding like the 40 second halt issue. My hate of IBM SVC is based on real issues it causes. Not the what I like is without its issues.

See the problem here is you presumed straight off the bat I was Troll. Problem here my behavior was not troll. I am more Troll like now because you keep on treating me that way. Yes oldfart attempt of saying I never used the hardware is normal IBM SVC guys attempt to say their solution is the best. Sorry there are a lot of cases were IBM SVC is the worst. If you are dealing with those cases a lot you don’t put IBM SVC on your resume because you don’t want the client throwing IBM SVC into the mix. Sorry look up resume to find when I used IBM SVC is not possible.

Microsoft VAR who has been is in fact a public record thing. In fact I have never lied about but you guys have been far too stupid to check out your facts.

Well, I’ve just tried “Microsoft var dolding” and “Microsoft var list” via Bing (sorry, everyone else, but in this case it seemed the most likely access to a public record).

Nada. Nothing. Bupkis.

As it happens, whether or not you have some tendentious claim to be an “on the record” Microsoft VAR is utterly inconsequential. Because you do know what VAR stands for, don’t you? “Value-Added Reseller.”

It’s possible to imagine a Microsoft VAR who bangs on about how an obscure, experimental, and not very popular (I use that term from an installed Linux perspective, ie less than 1% of that installed base) feature is preferable to whatever the customer actually wanted. Hugely unlikely, but possible.

It isn’t really credible that a Microsoft VAR would come out with this pathetic excuse for not being able to handle Windows 7 updates, is it?

DrLoser 12 hours is on a ADSL1 modem. It with all the updates. Yes you can short cut as a IT Officer and have update installation discs where you have slipstreamed drivers or WSUS Offline Update disc.

Why would even the most deprived and deranged customer regard this as “value-added reselling?” I mean, you even mentioned slipstreaming yourself! (Note to those who do not use Windows: use a fast connection to slipstream the relevant bits into an ISO, and ship that ISO to the customer, whether physically or over a 57Kb modem link.)

Were I a customer looking for a Microsoft VAR, oiaohm, that miserable mea culpa would cause me to ask the question:

“Why would I deal with the monkey when I can talk to the organ-grinder?”

As with your seven years of futile comments on all sorts of web-sites, you add no value whatsoever, do you?

What is the point of looking that crap up unless I am a liar?

A startlingly pertinent and introspective question, oiaohm. Leaving your many and several other petitii viri stulti, what is the point in this case, unless you are a liar?

And once you’ve digested that question, here’s another.

What is the point of looking up crap about NT and DEC unless:
    a) your long term memory as an ex-employee of either Microsoft or DEC needs refreshing, or
    b) you are, and in the case of your DEC googling this will surprise nobody at all, a liar?
    Still, it’s your (fantasised) life, I suppose. If you can’t come to terms with being a serial and unreformed liar, then there’s nothing much the rest of us can do to help you.

For those of us who wouldn’t know an IBM SAN Controller if it whacked us upside the head, perhaps you could fill in some details here, oiaohm.

1) Roughly which time period did your capitalised “Expertise” extend over? A year or two either way doesn’t matter. Feel free to check up on your resumes, which is what I tend to do when my “long term memory” (I forget whether it’s von Neuman or modified Harvard, but you know how it is with memory) fails me.
    2) Why do you still, for some Obscure yet no doubt Expert reason, still need to quote a Wikipedia cite? Not especially convincing as evidence that You Are Or Once Were, Memory Permitting, An Expertizoid, is it?

True: so permit me to use my own long term memory as anecdotal evidence. Last fifteen years?

* Stratus VOS
    * Solaris 7-10
    * QNX
    * Linux (five or so Distros)
    * VxWorks, PIC, some other embedded system I happily admit I’ve forgotten the details of
    * Windows, windows, windows.

And that’s just the hardware/OS. Ask me a fairly detailed question on the innards of any single one of those, and I guarantee you I can come up with an “interview ready” answer.

Whereas you, Fifi, can’t manage anything better than a link to Wikipedia, can you?

I wonder why that might be?

oldfart the best you will get is I had Expertise with IBM SVC but did not realize when we crossed swords over IBM SVC at that time did not realize how far my memory of IBM SVC had deteriorated. Due to the multi devices I swap between a lot of information can end up not getting into long term memory. Its the price of the environment I was working in at the time I came into contact with IBM SVC and other techs. Its not being an intentional lier or fraud. You should have noticed I have been avoiding older techs I know about because I now know I cannot trust my memory of them.

33. oldfart says:

“oldfart do you want me to lie??? Really???”

Lil’ Hammie, You are a demonstrated liar and fraud. You will get no other answer than this until you demonstrate your purported expertise in the IBM SAN Volume Controller.

Until then Piss off!

848 223 7120

oldfart
    Or Admit you were lying about you expertise in the SVC.
    That is also asking me to lie.

You know what you have to do. Now do it. Oh and here just in case you missed it is the google reference that you could not even be bothered looking up.

oldfart by the way you are asking for what versions I was using. Looking up on or wikipedia will not replace the lost memory of what I was really using.

What is the point of looking that crap up unless I am a lier. If you don’t have the memory you don’t have the memory.

Basically oldfart wants me to be a lier. So this means I have to question how much skill oldfart claims.

I am not going to lie to suit your ego oldfart. Maybe you would but that is not me.

Lil’ Hammie the troll is squirming now. He seems to say that it has been 10 years since I asked this question. Of course this is a lie – I haven’t been working with it for even 5 years.
    oldfart Come on where did I say 10 years. idiot +10 is not 10 years. This is you being a idiot x10.

The simple reality is if you asked me to configure hardware I had not touched in 3 years I would be back to the manual. As you stated about me along time ago no one could cope with the amount of diversity I handle. Its true to a point. The price is memory loss. As others have noticed I stay very current. Reason why I stay so current is a lot of stuff I forget for good.

Sorry this is not squirming. The point of impossibility has come. Either you will keep on asking for something that can never be answered now or you will not. If you keep on asking for the impossible that is your problem.

The fact I have forgotten the information does not mean I have not used the hardware.

oldfart do you want me to lie??? Really???

37. oldfart says:

“oldfart O well I tried apparently oldfart would prefer a made up lie than the truth. So from now on I will keep on responding to your posts it will never stop.

oldfart is a +1 000 000 000 idiot.”

Until then Piss off!

848 223 7120

oldfart is a +1 000 000 000 idiot.

39. oldfart says:

“oldfart why is it +10. How years have passed since you first asked. After all these years what is chance that what you are asking me for in version and what not is answerable. Since I have not used it in all that time frame.”

Until then Piss off!

oldfart at first you asked for serial numbers and other items you had no rights to. Also at the time asking for that information was incorrect. It still has not change. In fact there is no way I could answer you questions now on it because I have not used in all these years. In fact a few years had past by the first time I mentioned that I had used it. Not the word had not currently using it at the time. Of course moron you oldfart at time went off on the line that I had to be using it currently at the time.

This is the simple reality the longer keep on demanding answer the end result was the answer would at some point no longer be possible at all.

oldfart idiot +10

43. oldfart says:

“oldfart idiot+1

Until then Piss off!

oldfart has basically been asking me to explain something I should have never needed to explain. Human error happens. Not like oldfart and drloser don’t regularly make human errors.

By the way why oldfart is a idiot+1. Is at the time IBM SAN Volume Controller mess I did mention that I had not used it for a while and had been using cluster filesystems. So errors were to be expected. So oldfart is your memory absolutely perfect.

oldfart idiot+1

47. oldfart says:

“Becided oldfart you are only doing this again because you little pet DrLoser is currently going out of his tree because everything he has been doing is no longer working correctly.”

Until then Piss off!

48. oldfart says:

“oldfart want to play the repeating game again lets go for it.”

Until then Piss off!

By the way your suggesting for DrLoser to play the same game back on me is killed why. I have a cancel card. DrLoser is so stupid that he cannot think up its own ideas so has to follow Oldfarts direction. So by attempting to assist DrLoser you have made his fate worse.

oldfart want to play the repeating game again lets go for it.

51. oldfart says:

“oldfart really do end users care to find out. Your question here shows you are out of touch”

Until then Piss off!

DrLoser sorry
    That Microsoft VAR thing, btw, oiaohm?

You’ve never been one, have you?
    Ok you are asking that now when you have already accused me of not being.

DrLoser sorry you do it all the time get me mixed up with other people then accuse me of stuff other people have done.

That Microsoft VAR thing, btw, oiaohm?

You’ve never been one, have you?

Oops, sorry, Mats. Sometimes I get confused between you and oiaohm.

No hard feelings, I hope.

Perhaps the real person that this was directed at, Mr. H., will enlighten us.

I’d doubt it. He’s still trying to evade the direct question “Are you now or have you ever been a Microsoft VAR?”

And I can’t blame the lad. There are lamp-posts to choose, knickers to frill, and that knotty little question of whether thin clients or thick clients pay more per hour.

Let us leave Mr H to his no doubt profitable calculations.

Also refresh and restore, does not guarantee an automatic backup of ones files. If you dont have an external or offsite backup, you take a chance of losing your work!

A most perspicacious and very wise observation, Dougie. You’d have made a superb mag tape operator back in the 1970s!

And now back to the present day …

Microsoft does not include any nice tool for users to regularly backup update files.

If I was talking dial-up I would be talking weeks not 12 hours.

DrLoser a dial-up modem connection speed. I am in Australia if you cannot get ADSL 1 connection speed by land line you get government subsidized sat, wifi or 3/4G.

I really fell sorry for you USA guys that still have to use dial-up modems.

oldfart really do end users care to find out. Your question here shows you are out of touch.

The last few years computers with problems have become more and more throw aways. We are living in a world of instant gratification. Linux distributions like mint that can be running live while installing play into the behavior.

60. oldfart says:

“Perhaps because he was expecting a stupid answer, Dougie…”

Thanks for the stand-in Doc, but as you see Dougie provided his usual level of splendidly stupid answer to the question that was not directed
    at him.

Perhaps the real person that this was directed at, Mr. H., will enlighten us.

I have indeed, and I’m sorry to hear about your toils on a 57Kb modem, oiaohm. (As a matter of fact, I am: we had a ticket at work recently to minimise the size of a woodwork project, simply because the fabricator in question only had a 57Kb modem.)

On the other hand, I am not a Microsoft VAR.

And, apparently, neither are you, oiaohm. Because it beggars belief that a Microsoft VAR would have these problems.

Any other little porkies in your supposed technological background that you’d care to own up to?

Problem here is all recent papers are written based on all in or nothing point of view.

Soooo much more convincing, oiaohm. And I am still forbidden from asking you for cites. So, in the manner of an archaeological detective, I am forced to dig into the subject a little further. Hooray! Formal Debate Matter rears its pointy little head again!

1) Recent as in, when? I’m thinking July 3rd, 2012. Perhaps your definition of “recent” is less specific?
    2) This “recent” thing is a bit of a “tipping point,” don’t you think? Do you have any idea why academics and sundry other researchers, all ten thousand (or whatever) of them, chose suddenly to switch from prior behaviour (“not all or nothing”) to present behaviour (“all or nothing”)?
    3) Does this “all or nothing point of view” extend to an absence of mitigatory footnotes?
    4) When these papers are Peer Reviewed, do we see a clean divide between those Peer Reviewers who whole-heartedly accept “all for all” or “nothing for nothing”, not to mention the dissenting Peer Reviewers who take the contradictory position of “all for nothing” or “nothing for all?”

I could go on, but what would be the point?

Even with the qualification upon which you insist, oiaohm, your proposition is indefensibly stupid and totally inaccurate.

Why would you ask a stupid question?? Unless of course you’re baiting him.. ahhh I see now..

Perhaps because he was expecting a stupid answer, Dougie. Duly provided.

Out of interest, did you try re-imaging the machine from the Windows installation discs provided (or from those which, naturally, you carry with you everywhere you go)?

Just one more “stupid” question to add to your list. As “yes or no” questions go, though, it does at least make it easy for you to prove you are technically, er, “ept.”

When Windows is “knocked out”, that means that it doesn’t work, so in essence malware took control of the machine and made it unusable for the owners use.

Recently, Win-Dohs updates are notorious for this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

65. oldfart says:

“Compaq Pr. Windows 7 laptop knocked out and owner was near to throw it to trash.”

Out of curiosity, How was it “knocked out” Mr. H?

Reinstall and/or Restore points?? So you do concur that M$ software breaks, but thats your answer?

LOL!!..

Awww….its ok… Win-Dohs software broke down..shame-shame…just rebuild it again. Yes, that is the solution.. just rebuild it over and over and over and over ad infinitum.

68. Tramonte wrote, “how bad Windows has been during the last 20 years. Totally waste of time and money.”

One of the few regrets I’ve had in IT is that I actually used their stuff for quite awhile. I bought a DOS-based PC ~1986, replaced it with another about 1992 and totally switched to GNU/Linux after that one died about 2001. My family used that other OS until they got totally fed up with it over a period of years starting about 2008. I hosed the last XP-machine at home two years ago after I retired and got annoyed by how much time I spent re-re-rebooting it for The Little Woman. She objected at things being “different” but has so much better/reliable performance now that there’s no comparison. Oh, how I wish GNU/Linux had been ready about 1986. I could have skipped a lot of anguish. I certainly could have done everything I needed to do personally using GNU/Linux about 1995 but kept the old DOS-box far too long. Even I resisted the change simply because I was doing other things and did not bother to learn about this “Linux” thing much sooner. Who knows how different my life would have been breaking the chain around my neck a few links sooner?

DrLoser yes you were correct to pull up up on this line.
    Problem here is all papers are written based on all in or nothing point of view.
    I missed the word recent that is the fault with that line.

All the recent papers. We have not seen any recently doing the half way. VDI for security reasons and general desktop for general desktop.

Did you try re-installing Windows 7, Matts? I presume complicated and modern stuff like “Restore Points” are beyond your salary level?

DrLoser have you ever done a reinstall of Windows 7 from scratch. On the slow connections we have around here kiss good by to 12+ hours. It is faster to down and install a Linux than what it is to reinstall Windows. This is a true major problem. Lot of people will bin a computer if the repair will take longer than 4 hours.

“Restore Points” in Windows 7 do kinda work better. But there is a problem. Lets say I have a computer with a C and D driver. This is a complete with a sold state flash driver and a normal spinning media. I have installed some application on D. You now cannot use restore points safely. Because restore points only roll back C.

Restore points are not magic bullets like MS Trolls attempt to make out. There are many cases where Restores points are not usable.

70. Tramonte says:

Hardly a secret at all how bad Windows has been during the last 20 years. Totally waste of time and money.

Naturally, I can’t ask you for a cite to prove this assertion, oiaohm.

I can, however, ask you the following question:

When you came up with this ludicrous and completely unprovable assertion, were you dancing around the back garden humming a Bach fugue to yourself, muttering “La la la I can’t hear you!” and dreaming of a glorious future in which pink unicorns will lie down in perfect harmony with Jimi Hendrix?

Because, to be perfectly frank, that’s just about the only way your assertion makes any sort of sense whatsoever, from an academic point of view.

Amazing how it’s only Linux evangelists who personally witness this stuff, isn’t it? I call

a) Anecdotal evidence
    b) Confirmation bias

73. Mats Hagglund says:

I have personally witnessed tens of death or almost death Windows-machines which have gotten new life after installing Linux on them. Yesterday evening i faced another case. Compaq Pr. Windows 7 laptop knocked out and owner was near to throw it to trash. Fortunately i recommended her trying Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. She did agree and now has nicely running new born laptop. She didn’t find using her new OS hard at all. Actually she was amazing how user friendly it was.

74. lpbbear says:

I’ve seen the same thing myself. I was the resident Linux guy in the IT department at a past job. I rarely had to look at the Linux servers, they just worked. I and the other IT people spent most of our time chasing problems with Windows Servers/Active Directory and Windows workstations.

There is a hell load of middle ground particularly when you start considering how to protect network from the current styles of attacks. spear phishing in combination with worms is what Sony and others have been on the receiving end of.

We are heading into a world where we do have to consider layered network design. Yes using DMZ ideas more. This can mean a bigger roles for thin clients to be accesses across network barriers. Humans and simply operate thinclients. Worms cannot.