“That Other OS”

“What kind of computer do I need to be able to run PCLinuxOS?
Processor
Any Intel, AMD or VIA processor.”

Sigh, upon recommendation, I took a look at PCLinuxOS, a distro that uses APT. It has a lot to recommend: a decent repository, a decade under its belt, a choice of desktop environments and no systemd… What could go wrong? No port to ARM, yet. Shucks. They even inform the reader that with PCLinuxOS, one can do everything one can do with “that other OS”. I thought I had a winner. I can live with Intel/AMD, but I will really be free when I can leave both sides of Wintel behind. It’s too bad that folks claim any Intel/AMD/VIA processor works when those guys also ship ARMed devices. Debian supports ARM very well and has done for ages.

PCLinuxOS even does a minimal installation more or less the way I like with most software installation after the first boot but they are not going the way I intend to move sooner rather than later, to ARM. I guess Debian has spoiled me for any other distro. It’s just hard to beat someone with that kind of depth and experience.

See About PCLinuxOS.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to “That Other OS”

Teamviewer on Linux is quite surprising it works kind of.

Well, you could take that assertion either way.

I’m just going to leave it dangling.

So, let us recap.

The three big advantages DrLoser has are:

1) When he drools it tends to run down his chin.

I wouldn’t call that an “advantage” as such, Mr I. Unless I’m mistaken, it’s a common feature of human physiology. But, hey! If you want me to feel privileged, I feel privileged!

As opposed to: “There’s a recent version of TeamViewer in the repository.”

Not so privileged.

2) It doesn’t matter, his “attendant” is there to wipe his chin….among other things.

Not within my pay-scale, Mr I.

Hard to quibble with the assertion that PCLinuxOS isn’t RedHat, though, is it? (Not being a commercial version of Linux based on systemd seems to be important for some reason here. I’m not in the habit of making random assertions.)

3) The only time he lies is when his mouth is open or his hands are on a keyboard.

I will, of course, advise my Expert Lawyer, a Mr Oiaohm of no fixed address, on how to proceed concerning this infamous “deformation.” Fifi is an honest chap and will back me up on a pro-bono basis.

Not quite sure how it matches up to my own third point:

You work for it (paid, or in your spare time. Doesn’t really matter.)

Oh well.

Any Unique Selling Point I’ve missed out there?

Did I claim one? There are millions of rational human beings out here, like me, who would see those “selling points” of PCLinuxOS as being completely unconvincing.

From the OP, Robert appears to be one of us.

Got a point, Mr I?

Don’t faff about. Just make it.

3. Richard Chapman says:

@lpbbear

You wrote my words exactly. Except for a short stint with Mint, I’ve been a PCLinuxOS user for a long time and for the same reasons as yours. I support them each month with a small donation. (It’s on 3 computers in my house, all AMD processors.)

4. lpbbear says:

So, let us recap.

The three big advantages DrLoser has are:

1) When he drools it tends to run down his chin.

Any Unique Selling Point I’ve missed out there?

I’d really hate to be unfair…

(moron)

DrLoser
    We here at Structural Engineering Company X use it for every single Sprint Planning Meeting. My personal belief is that the wretched thing sucks.

But you know the worst way it sucks? Don’t take it from me, take it from my Program Owners and sundry other Meeting Fanatics.

The “updates” continuously break things. Even in the middle of meetings.
    So you have only seen team-viewer used on Windows DrLoser.

Teamviewer on Linux is quite surprising it works kind of. It works better than Windows. Number 1 it loads all the key .so files it uses under Linux into ram as soon as it runs. So as long as it starts and connects you are golden under Linux.

The biggest issue have is using debain refusal to connect because version is too old.

The updating on Windows breaks Teamviewer at the worst possible time because teamviewer does not lock all the dll files it depends on. Yes classic example of pull carpet out from under own feet. Also teamviewer does not particularly like many Windows updates some cases leading to red/blue screens of death.

How has Teamviewer solved the I don’t like the OS changing under me on Linux. That right ship it own copy of wine as its runtime. Since its a part Windows application running on wine on Linux it only ever can get a kinda works rating. Interesting kinda works rating on Linux is many times better than running the beast on Windows.

Teamviewer on OS X is also better behaved than its Windows version for the same reason huge mother runtime.

Teamviewer is just massively horible on Windows. Yes right down to crashing the complete computer. OS X and Linux users not too much of a problem. Please note its mostly OS X uses who are the creative type who insanely suggest using team-viewer in meetings on a Windows machine because they have no clue how bad it suxs on Windows. In fact you are better off to spin up a virtual machine with PCLinuxOS to use teamview if your machine is Windows or a generic Linux your life will be simpler.

DrLoser there are a selection of programs that run ok on Linux and OS X yet are complete walking disasters on Windows. Teamviewer is one of those.

Yes the only reason why teamviewer on OS X and Linux works so well is it a poorly done port to both platforms so covering up for a huge number of design bugs. Yes being a poorly done port means it consumes more ram on Linux and OS X. Ok who cares if it does not crash stupidly.

Teamviewer on Windows is a reverse example of a company doing everything wrong like we have served up as Linux binary packages. So yes it is possible for foolish developers to screw it up on Windows.

Hahahaha, Looser, you picked the right nick. Better, should be the ever looser troll.
    Well, a magnificent selling point of my distro is that it is independent of corporate intrusion(systemd). But, hey, go back to your virus filled windblow$ 8, will you ?
    This site is for FLOSS people, not trolls.

So, let us recap.

The three big advantages that PCLinuxOS has are:

1) There’s a recent version of TeamViewer in the repository.
    2) It isn’t RedHat.
    3) You work for it (paid, or in your spare time. Doesn’t really matter.)

Any Unique Selling Point I’ve missed out there?

I’d really hate to be unfair…

Reason why teamviewer is liked PCLinuxOS is auto updating.

I sincerely beg Robert’s pardon here, because this is going to sound like an ad hominem attack. Honestly, it isn’t.

You’ve never even used TeamViewer, have you, oiaohm? You’re an idiot.

The “updates” continuously break things. Even in the middle of meetings.

What was your point again, O Most Knowledgeable One Who Uses Every Last Bit Of IT In Existence?

DrLoser again commenting on subjects where you have absolutely no clue. This time a google for teamviewer issues would have informed you of something.

Reason why teamviewer is liked PCLinuxOS is auto updating.

Yes you might be able to install teamviewer under debian but its going to drive you nuts when it fails to connect every time it so many versions out of date.

Lack of update software can be a major pain in but.

9. Agent_Smith says:

This site is for FLOSS people, not trolls.

Ah yes, the “Does Your Distro Do This?” argument. No matter that TeamViewer (we use it at work, owing to the tendencies of Swedish IT guys to be FLOSS-esque right up to the point where they demand payment for their work) is awful, broken, crap.

It is, however, available as a Debian package from here.

Any other interesting factlets about PCLinuxOS, Agent Smith?

11. Agent_Smith says:

Hey Robert, easy down when talking about PCLinuxOS. It has my sweat and tears inside it. And, you wanna know what ? It has Teamviewer in the repos, something your beloved “Debian” does not have. And, better, it doesn’t have systemd, that your Debian has… You know, even with 40K packages, it is lacking, in many areas.
    Since PCLinuxOS is made by its loving community, it has what we need, even if it is only about 14K packages.
    But, work with it, and you’ll have other opinions.

Regards,

12. lpbbear says:

These days I use and recommend PCLinuxOS. While it does not always work for every PC, some motherboards give it fits, it tends to work flawlessly for most Intel/AMD based systems. Since none of my customers are currently using “Arm” based PCs I am not concerned that PCLinuxOS does not currently support that platform. I’m sure that if Arm based systems were to become more common PCLinuxOS would be there. I find that PCLinuxOS tends to install with some pretty sane desktop setup configurations that save me time when setting up a system for someone new to Linux. I prefer KDE but most distros ship KDE with some desktop options enabled that I prefer to turn off or customize. PCLinuxOS tends to have most of this already configured saving me a lot of time during installs. As well PCLinuxOS tends to have much of the same software installed by default that I would want installed and many of the commonly used multimedia softwares and plugins installed at install again saving me time. PCLinuxOS uses a “rolling release” style of updating. This has worked perfectly for me on my own systems leaving me not having to screw around with re-installs of the type we see with other distros after major version updates. I have lost track of the number of years I have been “rolling” along on the same systems. 4 or 5 years I believe. While I do like Debian and several other distro versions I find PCLinuxOS the closest solution to what I need as a provider and implementer of Linux based solutions for those moving from Windows to Linux. I am the first to admit its not “perfect” but the people behind PCLinuxOS are doing an excellent job with a small crew and limited resources. Other distros could learn a lot from PCLinuxOS.