Most of us are not coders. I’m a coder but don’t do C… That is a barrier to giving back to FLOSS in the form of code but there are opportunities. Today, The Document Foundation invited users to contribute to a future release templates they create for documents. There are some conditions which are easily met:
- They are an original work, and are not converted from existing templates.
- They are licensed under Creative Commons CC0.
- They are based only on fonts bundled with LibreOffice (Caladea,Carlito, DejaVu, Gentium, Liberation, Libertine G, Open Sans, PT Serif,Source Code, Source Sans).
- They are based on LibreOffice styles, and not on direct element formatting. Styles must be created according to the expected use of the template.
- They contain only a minimum of text (ideally, no text at all), as they will not be translated for LibreOffice 4.4. Because of that, language must be en_us.
I use a few templates, it wouldn’t take much effort to meet their conditions. Let the floodgates open. In 100 million users there must be some great templates out there.