The Good News Just Keeps Flowing

Despite not having enough salesmen and particular applications, GNU/Linux is thriving. It’s just too good to pass up.

• The US Marines have changed the spec from XP to GNU/Linux on a new radar-system.
  • Google, apparently, has seen the light and will ship ODT and ODS documents from Google Docs. Those holding onto that other OS just for the office suite can now let go and moving to GNU/Linux just got easier.
  • While Asia has been the tail-end Charlie of GNU/Linux adopters, that’s changing and page-views are growing at a great rate there over the last two years. I suspect a lot of this movement is the result of Dell and Canonical actually using salesmen to make GNU/Linux happen. At this rate Asia will be leading the world in another few years.
  • After thrashing around making radical changes since summer, Debian has frozen it’s package list and the bug-count is tumbling, making their next release possible soon.
  • 2004:”Asian governments using Linux will be sued for IP violations, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer said today in Singapore. He did not specify that Microsoft would be the company doing the suing, but it’s difficult to read the claim as anything other than a declaration of IP war.” The good news? It didn’t happen, and it won’t because now M$ loves GNU/Linux and so do M$’s customers…
  • This really surprised me, but Jesus recommended FLOSS, Bible, Matthew 10:8:”freely ye have received, freely give”. Amen! See Ubuntu Christian Edition (Dansguardian web-filter built in).
  • Despite waves and winds, the ship bringing my new tractor, plough and roto-tiller from China to Canada should arrive within a few days. Well, that’s not actually news and it’s not about GNU/Linux but anything that helps me feed myself will keep this blog alive… 😉

So, 2014 is winding down as GNU/Linux continues its takeoff. There’s growth everywhere and it’s increasing.

24 Responses to The Good News Just Keeps Flowing

One of the reason why I will never answer olderman is the use of “Little hammie”. I am sorry to say this was never legally allowed. olderman lost his right to getting answer buy using criminal insults and will not accept it yet olderman keep on using criminal insults.

2. DrLoser bleated, “it’s just “a stock distribution with some local configuration?””

There’s no requirement to distribute the source code if they are not distributing the binary. If you want the binary, get it from Canonical. If you want the source code, get it from Canonical. The GPL does not require anyone to distribute the source code of the software they use in-house.

So, sycophancy, butchery and garden tractors. Three feathers in your cap, Dougie.

Having admitted to your other skills, Dougie … I’m afraid that I’d have to say your most important and valuable skill is sycophancy.

What would be the point of Google distributing Ubuntu GNU/Linux?

I sense a high degree of obtuseness here, Robert. Let me quote from the original, and still the best:

1) The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom #0).
    2) The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom #1. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    3) The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom #2).
    4) The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom #3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Do you see what I have just highlighted?

Can you explain where those Four Freedoms magically stop when it’s just “a stock distribution with some local configuration?”

Because that’s a slippery slope, Robert. A very slippery slope.

And since you can’t even exercise Freedom Number One in this case …

How can you possibly know that it’s just “stock, with some local configuration?”

(Whatever that means. Which is nothing at all. You’d have to define “configuration” first.)

If you can’t read it (Freedom Number One), you can’t know that, can you?

In line with my policy of admitting that I am completely incorrect, the moment I notice that I am: I apologise, Dougie.

You did, indeed, contribute some very sage and I would say very useful information about 1) butchering deer carcasses and 2) buying a garden tractor that won’t immediately break down.

Robert didn’t find any of it useful, but I took both sets of recommendations to heart.

I mean, be honest.

Ubuntu is just stock Debian with some local configuration, isn’t it?

The difference here is that Mark Shuttleworth, for all his faults, actually gives back to the Community. (And in this case to Debian, and thus to you, Robert.)

Contrast Shuttleworth with Google here.

There’s no need. It’s stock Ubuntu with some local configuration.

And, of course, Stephen J Vaughan Nichols is an unimpeachable source. I can pretty much guarantee that SJVN spends as much time on the phone to the CTO of Google as oiaohm spends on the phone to Jim Zemlin.

Which is to say, precisely zero.

Now, in your heart of hearts, Robert, you know this isn’t true. You know that a company of 40,000 employees, many of whom are on the bleeding edge of Linux research, are going to contribute this, that and the other to goobuntu.

And you know that the rest of the world will only see the results of this research on the whim of Google.

Now, I’m all in favour of proprietary development (it keeps the ignorant peasants out), but I don’t see how this quite meshes with your view of FLOSS.

C’mon. Admit it. You’d really like to compare Goobuntu against Debian Wheezy/Jessie, wouldn’t you?

Sadly, a giant, unaccountable corporation has ripped you off and will never let you do so.

8. olderman says:

“OLDman, this isn’t “your” conversation nor is it “your” blog. In fact, you’re free to leave and never come back, ok?”

Dougie, Stay out of what is not your concern. This is between my self and Lil’ Hammie. Robert Pogson knows the circumstances of my comment. If he wishes me to stop, he would have said so before now.

And who knows, he may just choose to speak up now.

9. DrLoser wrote, of publishing Goobuntu, “why hasn’t anybody done this yet”.

There’s no need. It’s stock Ubuntu with some local configuration.

What would be the point of Google distributing Ubuntu GNU/Linux? Don’t Canonical have enough mirrors already?

I sense a nerve has been rubbed raw, Dougie. What, incidentally, do you contribute of worth to this blog? Sycophancy, perhaps? There’s precious little of anything else useful.

Which doesn’t actually matter, because that’s not what “blogs” (or in this case a web-site with discussions, which is somewhat different) are about. Within the limits of Robert’s patience — you may not have noticed this, Dougie, but Robert runs this blog. You don’t — and common decency, one is free to say what one likes.

Rather like running a large enterprise such as an IT department, in fact. No discrepancy there, then.

Well, I don’t know, luvr. When I’m on a moral crusade (say, FLOSS), I prefer to conduct it via the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law. If RMS had any guts, he’d come straight out and say that what Google is doing here is wrong.

Maybe it would make it clearer to you if I substituted “The Four Freedoms” for the license itself?

Here’s an interesting what-if for you, though. If some employee of Google — these guys use Goobuntu and are therefore entitled to the source code — were to publish it, would Google take disciplinary action?

And on the assumption that they wouldn’t, why hasn’t anybody done this yet?

It seems like the Community thing to do.

All you ever do is come here and piss “on” the entire conversation, so it’s not like you contribute anything of worth.

Speaking of liars, you stated once that you ran a IT department of sorts, well, your conduct and action on this blog, says otherwise. If your job was so important, then why aren’t you spinning up some “virtual-drives” on your RedHat cluster hypocrite.

13. olderman says:

“olderman of course…”

Little hammie you are a liar and a fraud and you are not welcome in my conversation. Either provide proof of you expertise in the IBM SAN Volume Controller or piss off.

14. ram wrote, “It depends which compiler one uses.”

I don’t think that’s true. The GNU utilities/tools, etc. are more than just the compiler but the libraries linked and other utilities used in the running system. In the beginning there was less diversity, Minix and GNU. Now, so many have contributed stuff that GNU is somewhat diluted with Android/Linux being the extreme. It’s a wonder Google didn’t choose a BSD there’s so little GNU/Linux in their OS. If the Chinese or someone forks Android/Linux, they could choose to use more GNU tools. That would be interesting.

15. olderman wrote, “most of the world beyond you simply knows it simply as linux.”

I doubt most of the world has even heard of Linux. We still have work to do, no thanks to Google and Canonical who rarely use the term, “Linux”, on any page related to the desktop operating system, Ubuntu GNU/Linux, or the small cheap computer operating system, Android/Linux.

olderman of course you turn up to try to back a pointless point of view.

Really if you just use the term Linux I can freely claim 50 percent market penetration. Just Linux include android.

OS is called Linux when it contains a Linux kernel. GNU/Linux contains a GNU libc that attempt to be Posix compadible. Posix/Linux would have been more generic term but we cannot undo history now.

17. olderman says:

“Let me correct that for you. “It is called the GNU/Linux operating system.”

Sorry, Robert Pogson, Rightly or wrongly, most of the world beyond you simply knows it simply as linux.

18. ram says:

It depends which compiler one uses. If one uses the GNU compiler set, then the result is GNU/Linux. If you use the Intel compiler set, the output is Intel/Linux. Similarly for about another half-dozen compiler suppliers.

I guess my company’s Linux cluster is GNU/NVidia/Intel/AMD/Linux 😀

19. luvr says:

IGnatius T Foobar wrote, “As a gentle reminder, there is no such thing as “GNU/Linux.” It is called the Linux operating system.”

As a gentle reminder, you’re a bore.

20. IGnatius T Foobar wrote, “It is called the Linux operating system.”

Let me correct that for you. “It is called the GNU/Linux operating system.”

Linux is just the kernel, silly.

21. As a gentle reminder, there is no such thing as “GNU/Linux.” It is called the Linux operating system.

22. luvr says:

Perhaps Dr. Loser can post a reference to help us understand how Goobuntu violates the GPL? 🙂

On the question of why it took them so long to implement ODF support, on the other hand, I must say I wholeheartedly agree…

23. DrLoser wrote, “Perhaps “Goobuntu” will finally fess up to it’s GNU Public License requirements and actually become available to the Public!”

Read the GPL. There’s no requirement to distribute source code if the binary is not distributed. They’ve also stated publicly that it’s basically a reconfiguration of a stock ‘buntu not derived code.

Google has “seen the light?” Why did it take these Corporate Fools so long?

What a total waste of the last ten or fifteen years in the GooglePlex!

Ooh, how thrilling! Perhaps “Goobuntu” will finally fess up to it’s GNU Public License requirements and actually become available to the Public!

Or, then again, possibly not.