Making Salami

I love salami. I’ve always wanted to turn a portion of a carcass of deer into salami but I’ve misplace my hand-crank meat grinder. It got lost in storage somewhere. So, I’m looking around, perhaps for something better like this hand-cranking model hooked up to a motor:

That would do me but there are even more powerful units available. I’m not in that great a rush…

The video, above, shoes a rather high rpm for such a grinder. Usually, folks run them ~100 rpm. That takes a two-stage speed reduction that requires intermediate pulleys or gears like this:

Turning it faster just wastes more energy:

Mixing fat, meat and maranade/cure/brine/spice and stuffing casings can be accomplished using the grinder, too, saving a lot of effort. Prices vary a lot. One can buy stainless steel, aluminium, or a bunch of different accessories and mountings. I guess we will put off the purchase to next year and spend all winter shopping the web. Too bad the Chinese sites have such a language barrier because they make all of these but often in the ads one can’t figure out what the heck they are selling (descriptions of one, pix of another, dimensions that make no sense…). e-mail becomes a necessity. 🙁 Well, to save half the cost or more, I guess that’s worthwhile.

This entry was posted in food, hunting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Making Salami

1. oiaohm wrote, “if you don’t have a freezer large enough for the carcass you are already up the creek before you start.”

Fortunately here most of the deer hunting-season is in freezing temperatures. We have 3 seasons locally: archery, muzzle-loader, and general. The general season is where any means can be used of archery, muzzle-loader or centre-fire rifle or shotgun and usually there is snow on the ground and freezing temperatures. Our usual harvest is in the cold season and the deer hangs in the garage a few days while we cut it up in stages. I was thinking the grinding could take place in the garage at the end of the process. Our freezer-space is limited so removing bones and grinding more meat would decrease the proportion of freezer-space wasted on bones. I also would like a bone-grinder to use the bones as phosphate fertilizer for the yard and garden. We usually take all bones and pop them into a soup-pot to remove the last edible goodness… It’s not as though a deer is a huge chunk of meat but it is a one-time annual load on our food-chain in my family.

I am aware of the issues of aluminium and paint. I will clarify all such details before I make a purchase.

DrLoser Dougman and me have historically picked on each other. Yes the error I made was worth laugh at.

I am sorry to say some of the bench mounted called hand machines+ engine are in fact better grade than what you will find in restaurants.
    Issue with items like this is items like replacement blades. Yes hand power machine with removal handle designed to mount pulley and these go the same speed.

Meat works and very large butcher shop have the large models are the ones you hunt cheap and mostly don’t find they are like the following. 2000 new with shipping.

This is one that could be imported into Australia. The one Robert had selected I have a very good chance I would not get it in here as it looks like a coated in some form and the metal is not clearly define and no standard approvals result of history of dealing with china tells me not to trust something like that. No where near enough english information. Reason for needing something like this is turning kangaroos into dog food.

In the middle of the two stainless steal commercials are hazard commercials for third world where regulations are not as strict.

Of course this is a danger factor. Roberts setup is missing belt/pulley guard so it a risk of self harm. Even so some of those so call professional machine used in restaurants are also direct drive so burn badly if they jam.

DrLoser
    O yes there is. Large scale machines prefer carcass frozen/decently chilled before grinding. So if you don’t have a freezer large enough for the carcass you are already up the creek before you start. Yes if you have the right equipment from the get go doing part of a carcass should not be a problem.

Three bits of equipment Band-saw, Grinder and Freezer. Of course the first 2 you are looking for in right types of stainless steel and sane designs.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Stainless-steel-commercial-electric-meat-grinder_1829102273.html What Robert has built out of mixed parts. Yes you buy hand crank meat grinders directly design to take a motor. Problem is normally buying them new in small volume. Robert that current meat grinders normally don’t use aluminum or random metal unless you are a third world country. First world country to pass most countries regulations it has to be stainless steel.

Aluminum poisoning causes symptoms like Dementia reason why we have had to get rid of Aluminum pots and pans. Yes if you meat grinder will not hold a magnet throw it in bin. The thing to always remember about buying from china. Just because they sell it does not mean it safe.

A classic one that happened here in Australia is one of our stores imported some jeans from China. They were in fact dyed with a dye that could not be imported back into China. Yes item could be produced in china but could not be returned because it could not be sold or imported into China. Yes Aluminum meat grinders cannot be sold in China either. Always make sure you know your product standard requirements before dealing with china.

DrLoser the worst problems dealing with China have nothing todo with the language differences. The law differences where China companies are allowed to export anything even if it would be an illegal item in China or your country is a very big problem. Yes export permit allowances in China is big problem.

I’m going with Dougie on this one.

If you want a hand-grinder that deals in small quantities (say, 8oz at a time), Robert, you already know what you’re doing. I would still recommend buying a sturdy piece of work, and I would recommend checking out failed restaurants and the places they re-sell to.

On the other hand, shooting a deer is pretty much like getting pregnant. There’s no obvious way that you can end up with a “partial” deer carcass. Believe me, as a graduate of Magdalen, Oxford, I know these things. Two o’clock in the morning, and BAM! A feast for the Fellows in a week’s time, and who cares which undergraduate is woken up?

You can go the cheap and little itty bitty way with a hand grinder at about $100. Or you can go the full monster butcher shop 3500 cubic inches darned tray powered version and whack yourself over the head with $114 more, second hand.

Either way makes sense.

Listening to oiaohm, a man whose practical ability with either Cantonese or Mandarin is roughly equivalent to my ability with Basque, does not.

Good. I’m glad that between the Three Wise Men (you, Dougie and me), we’ve got this sorted.

Re: I am a good one to ask. For getting parts for solar systems…..

Ok, I will take one asteroid belt, the minerals and metals alone could easily fund the world for a few centuries, I only ask for a 5% cut on all imports and final sales.

That Exploit Guy correct I am a good one to ask. For getting parts for solar systems and other solutions I will tell you if you cannot read the site don’t worry about them. Those interested in dealing with english and will answer questions you find listed these days on alibaba.com or aliexpress.com.

There have always been those businesses in China interested in export and doing all the correct paperwork and processes to pass customs without issues. Lot of the Chinese native only sites do not export outside china. Support of english is one of the checks for importing into english country. Think about this customs may at times want to speak to suppler to ask questions. There are cases of tampering/damaged of shipped items. Yes product delivery delays can be major issue using suppliers that don’t do english from China.

Robert Pogson also remember painted can be a hazard. China still has lead based and other toxic paints. Part of importing remember to check your countries safety requirements.

6. That Exploit Guy says:

Ask oiaohm. In case you have forgotten, he has once claimed to have had 25 years of experience “dealing with China”. 😉

7. The frequently found #32 grinder is actually an imitation of an ancient USAian brand, Enterprise/ChopRite. You can still buy the originals on e-Bay. They were cast iron with tin plating. The Chinese make some in aluminium and stainless steel as well. The #12 size is a bit small. #32 and #62 are about right for throwing in bits of deer. #32 is available for ~$100 and #62 for $170. I’m sure these would last for my grand children. The one I used was a similar size/design. Motorizing them has a serious drawback. I would have to work hard to keep up and package output.

One review that might be of interest to you, whether or not this particular product appeals:

This product is very high quality and I am very happy with it. it works perfect. It is extremely well polished. Very well designed. Someone really put some thoughts when it was designed (this product has nothing to do with similar cheap products made of plastic in china).

Just a reference to your, my, everybody’s general problems with working out what exactly you are going to get off a Chinese web site.

General requirements (1), (2) and (3) above are the criteria you should look for, I think.

Having discussed this very question with my mate the ex-Head Chef of Heathrow (now sadly deceased), Robert, I would suggest that you actually splash out some money for once and buy the appropriate technology. Hand-cranked machines are a serious pain.

What you want is a serious bit of hardware that has the following:
    1) It’s easy to clean. Yes, this is the most important thing.
    2) It’s got a decent size of “input tray.” I’m guessing you don’t want to feed a deer carcasse in, eight ounces at a time.
    3) It’s got a long-life grinder. Now, part of this is wear and tear — maybe spiral grinders are best, I have no clue — but a lot of it is the actual gearing and motor.

With that in mind, I would recommend something like (but not necessarily identical to) the The LEM Stainless Electric Grinder. $314 new, $214 used. The reviews suggest that this is practically butcher shop standard, so it should comfortably last you ten or twenty years.

Failing that … well, failing that, I can’t really recommend anything cheaper at all. Although here’s a hint — restaurants go bust all the time, and you can often get 50% or more off virtually brand-new equipment if you know where to look.

Maybe you could order a Fabio Leonardi hand-grinder and spend a little time in the workshop turning it into a powered version? (I’m quite serious here — that would be fun.)

I already know you are going to disappoint me by spending months looking to shave $5 off the price of some piece of Chinese junk that will last, at best, eighteen months.

But be assured, in this instance, I have your best interests at heart.

Deer salami, yummy!