GNU/Linux Usage Reaches All-time High In Reunion

I guess the students are back in school. There has been an avalanche of GNU/Linux page-views this week culminating in a high of 24.77% yesterday. I love it.

This is not just some glitch in the stats. The numbers have been ramping up all week.

For those who forget, Reunion is department of France in the Indian Ocean. Population is 841K not counting tourists. They get GNU/Linux.

SeeTop 7 Desktop OSs in Reunion from 1 July 2008 to 25 Oct 2014.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to GNU/Linux Usage Reaches All-time High In Reunion

Did you calculate the variance on that month’s worth of statistics in Reunion, Robert? I can do it for you, if you like.

It does appear to be unusually high for a binomial sort of distribution.

Speaking of odds:

What are the odds that you could hack a South Korean SSID with roughly three bits of entropy?

Well, obviously those odds would be much improved if you interposed Microsoft and their dreadful security platform between those three bits of entropy and, er …

… Let’s try again, shall we?

Just out of interest, can anybody at all out there explain why MacOS has 9% of the page-view market in Reunion?

Some mad fucker in Metropolitan France is subsidising these bozos to a ridiculous degree, if you ask me…

Good eyes, mate! I think you just spotted a French military buildup there!

I did indeed, ram, and neither one of us is ever going to trust those dastardly froggie rascals, even if they are separated from us by half the length of the Indian Ocean!

You’ll be glad to know that I still possess my treasured collection of twelve (yes, twelve! Indonesian match-boxes, featuring the various climatic and terrain sequences through which Australia would be subjugated.

Don’t take my word for it; it was all the rage in the Melbourne Age back in 1988 when I lived in Kirribilli.

How far did those fiends get, btw? Cairns? The Whitsundays?

I’d hate to think that all of that matchbox collection went to waste. Oh well, back to the Linux Desktop and Pathetic Denial of Reality!

(Not remotely the same thing at all as a collection of Indonesian matchboxes.)

5. ram says:

Good eyes, mate! I think you just spotted a French military buildup there!

And for no particular reason, I checked out the Linux figures in Reunion between 25th September and 1st October. Which I believe is also a seven day period.

The Linux percentage dropped seven days in a row! What are the odds on that?

Wait, wait … see my previous post.

Astonishing what you can do with statistics, isn’t it, Robert?

I see your method as an educator is “follow through with the underlying methods: do not simply take my guidance at its word.”

This is an excellent method, Robert. I’m glad to see you’ve lost none of your skills in your retirement. So here we go:

In direct answer to your question, I need to assume one thing:

1) The distribution in question is basically binomial. Of course, none of the distributions in any of your graphs are ever, truly, binomial. But let us take a binomial distribution as a proxy for this particular exercise.

I like to live in the danger zone, so let’s go with the top end of your range: six days in a row. A quick squiz at a calculator suggests that 1/2^6 is, er, one in sixty four.

Which would be tremendously impressive inside a month or so, but rather less so, I would submit, inside a period of six years. Which is what we have here.

No matter, let’s identify this Golden Age of Desktop Miracles. I’m guessing you refer to 16 Oct – 22 Oct, wherein Linux rises from ~7% to ~22%. You’re letting your side down by limiting yourself to five or six days, Robert — that’s a whole week!

‘Course, the average for the month is 11%, which, don’t get me wrong, is very impressive. But somehow I sense that there is quite a lot of variance there. Those seven days represent either a Linux Nirvana or … not very much at all.

Whilst on the subject of the last 31 days in Reunion, it’s nice to see that MacOS lags only slightly behind Linux, at 9% vs 10%. Seems to be something wrong with the ChromeOS figures, though. 0.08%? Needs moar Gnu/Linux/Tastee Gubuntu Chrome!

And, as is fairly typical no matter where you look, the remaining 75% or so is taken up by … well, I’ll let you guess what naughty monopoly supplies Reunion with the bulk of their desktop needs.

8. DrLoser wrote, “a one-day spike from 5% to 25% most certainly is a “glitch in the stats,””

The smaller graph shows a steady climb over a week, not a one-day spike. What are the odds of getting 5 or 6 spikes all in the same direction on consecutive days? Pretty small. We shall see but OLPC reports those Ethiopian children are lapping up GNU/Linux. I predict this trend will continue as they graduate and seek PCs at home and at work. Ethiopians just aren’t willing to wait until they can afford Wintel. No one really can afford it. It’s just throwing money away. A lot of the PCs in Ethiopian schools are donated but the time will come when Ethiopia buys its own. Who are they going to call? A stranger, M$, or the kind hand that has fed them for years?

Oh, I’m afraid a one-day spike from 5% to 25% most certainly is a “glitch in the stats,” Robert.

Still, and allowing for a tremendous amount of variance, 12% or so of page views is pretty impressive. 12% of 850,000 is a whopping 102,000 Linux Devotees.

Only another six billion to go …