What The End-days Of Wintel Looks Like

The tail has quit wagging the dog.

Today, Digitimes reports, “As demand for touchscreen notebooks has been far weaker than expected, notebook vendors have stopped developing touch-enabled notebooks for the fourth quarter, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.”

OEMs are tired of the constant demands by Wintel to

1. sell consumers what they don’t want or need, and
  2. charge consumers above the market price for products, allowing competitors to steal customers.

It’s about time. Thanks, Google, Canonical, Dell, ASUS, and a cast of millions for giving us freedom from Wintel. It’s a rare and remarkable thing when a patient is saved from stage IV cancer. Now that OEMs have acknowledged that smaller and cheaper is better (the customer is always right) we should see a lot more GNU/Linux on retail shelves along with all those Android/Linux devices. The market is converging on a system with options not restrictions. Expect to see Android/Linux + GNU/Linux systems being offered in bulk really soon, perhaps by Christmas.

See Vendors stop developing touchscreen notebooks.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What The End-days Of Wintel Looks Like

I’d love to quote ole Noah as a peer reviewer …
    … but, unfortunately, he’s dead.

I here refer to the Reference of All References: Websters, 1913:

1. A plaything for children; a bawble.
    2. A thing for amusement, but of no real value; an article of trade of little value; a trifle.
    “They exchange for knives, glasses, and such toys, great abundance of gold and pearl.” – Abr. Abbot.
    3. A wild fancy; an odd conceit; idle sport; folly; trifling opinion.
    “To fly about playing their wanton toys.” – Spenser.
    “What if a toy take ’em in the heels now, and they all run away.” – Beau. & Fl.
    “Nor light and idle toys my lines may vainly swell.” – Drayton.
    4. Amorous dalliance; play; sport; pastime.
    “To dally thus with death is no fit toy.” – Spenser.
    5. An old story; a silly tale.

My emphases.

You know, there’s nothing more refreshing than quoting a real authority like Websters back at somebody who seems to regard it as the cynosure of all eyes.

No, wait, I meant “connotation!”

I will correct that. “Some people do more with computers than those toys can deliver.”

Fair enough, Robert, as long as we all agree on the baseline. These things are toys.

I believe it was the Elephant Man who once asked an actress at a party, “Would you have sex with me for a million pounds?” The actress batted her eyelids, and said “Well … I would, yes.”

“So what about five pounds, then?” asked the Elephant Man.

“Do you take me for a whore?” asked the actress.

“We’ve already established what you are,” said the Elephant Man, “All we have left to do is to negotiate the price.”

It’s a toy, Robert. And thank you for admitting it.

Shame it costs more than five quid, all things considered.

Connotation? I do not think that word means what you think it does, Dougie.

The ONLY connotation that M$ has, is by exploiting users for so long with malware and then acquiring mind-share by buying Minecraft.

Dear me. Time for that High School Equivalency, don’t you think?

And what Minecraft has to do with anything, Gawd only knows. Still, go ahead and revel in your ignorance.

M$ created negative marketing ads against Chromebooks, OLDman reasons this as “Microsoft wants into a new market” and I ask “What market?”

Granted Surface devices are not the same as a Chromebook, but the cheapest Surface device you can buy is a $200 RT device that M$ realizes was a disaster and suffers from a walled-garden arrangement for it’s apps. Unless you feel like doing some hacking..

Surface 1-2-3 devices suffer with problems and the higher end models are far too expensive to compete with Chromebooks. So, M$ has no means to compete with Google in Chromebook market.

On top of all this, you have a asshat CEO that speaks down on women: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/09/microsofts-nadella-backtracks-from-comment-about-women

A CEO sans tact, is a future disaster…LOL

“The practical effect of this is that Microsoft’s share of connected devices sales has collapsed from over 90% in 2009 to under a quarter today.

6. olderman wrote, “People do more with computers than those toys can deliver.”

1. A Chromebook is more than a toy for most people. It can sing and dance and visit the WWW, for instance. That’s what a lot of people do on a full-blown PC. Even the ARMed processors can kick ass better than the processors of a decade ago, remember, single core, 32bit, 256MB RAM…?
    2. So, while there is some truth to what olderman wrote, it’s not the whole story. I would bet 80% of folks do nothing on the web that a Chromebook could not do for them. Google has those services out there for a reason. I would bet that those same folks don’t do much if anything else even on a legacy PC. Remember, when the “PC” was young, folks needed a reason to own a PC. Now everyone wants one or more because they need the web. There are many who manage quite nicely without a PC or a Chromebook, just a smartphone because it’s the new PC.
    3. If Chromebooks were really that limited would M$ be spending/giving away $billions to keep Chromebooks out of the hands of consumers? Add up the advertising and the cost of giving away their answer to Chrome OS by way of lost revenue. Pretty soon M$ will be outright paying OEMs to install their OS to hold back the tide. That “core” market is pretty hollow these days. For the netbook, all M$ did was cut their price ~50%. Why are they going for 100% today for Chromebooks? I think M$ is more aware of the situation than olderman.
    4. DrLoser wrote, “More specifically, have you asked this particular lady whether she would swap her Mac for a ChromeBook?”

You should ask Adobe. They are the ones moving their customers to the cloud.
      “Existing CS customers: Get the entire collection of creative apps and more for just US$29.99/mo”. I suspect she’d be just fine with PS on a Chromebook but the video-editor wants local power.

Leaving aside the obvious fact that, at best, you have a casual acquaintance with, say, 3,000 people on this planet (there’s that magic 3,000 again), and that this represents roughly 0.0000005% of the planetary population, Robert:

1) Have you done due diligence on the other 2,999? (Factored up and down as you wish.)
      2) More specifically, have you asked this particular lady whether she would swap her Mac for a ChromeBook?

An insignificant single solitary data point, I know. But then again you were the one to bring it up.

And I am the one betting that she would find it extremely funny, in a charming old fuddy-duddy way, if you were to ask her to do so.

6. olderman says:

“What does that imply?”

That Microsoft wants into a new market. And it isn’t going to be as easy as it was 20 years ago. Is Microsofts core market dead? not if Crapbooks are the designated killer.

People do more with computers than those toys can deliver.

Who uses touchscreen notebooks? Touchscreen laptops fail to attract anything but fingerprints and arm cramps.

Any browser can do what?

Certainly IE could not be built into Geentoo-based browser OS. Think of the hypocrisy!

“Crapbooks are nothing special”…LOL. Fuzzy OLDman……M$ thought enough about them. so much so as to create negative marketing ads against them and then M$ lowered laptops costs to compete. What does that imply?

9. olderman says:

Not really – this is nothing more that Adobe’s cloud based offering. Any browser can
      do this. Crapbooks are nothing special.

10. dougman noticed that Adobe is cooperating to bring Adobe Creative Suite to Chrome OS.

Wow! There goes one more leg of the “GNU/Linux can’t do that”-table. How many are left? Retail shelf-space? Those shelves have lots of room at my local Wal-mart.

I’m not claiming non-Free software like Adobe ships is a good thing on a GNU/Linux computer but for those who need/want it, this eliminates one hurdle. I know only one person on the planet who uses that stuff and bought a Mac to run it… She could save a bundle with a nifty Chromebook these days instead. I wonder, what else Adobe is looking at?