I bought some equipment from a company with a great “brand” a couple of years ago and it stinks. The clutching is very jerky and the drive belts get chewed up. Wanting to find any further information which might help fix the problem, I went to their website whereupon I was asked for model number/serial number to look up manuals and such. Fine. However, their web-application would not “accept” my numbers. I took them right off the bloody stickers on the machine!
Upon further study, I learned that model numbers are 6 digits beginning with “9” even though my sticker clearly shows a number 9 digits long. There is another number nearby which is 7 letters/digits…. Further, a serial number is the last 6 digits of another string beginning with “0”…. Why can’t the user enter what’s on the sticker and the web-application figure it out? To make matters worse, there is a list of model numbers which must be manually translated, yep, just like a code book. Mine was not among them. What are their servers doing? Can’t they do lookups?
There is a nice part-number for the belt that’s getting chewed. Local suppliers will sell it for $30. I managed to find one supplier who gave the measurements of the belt. The OEM would not. I measured what was left of my belt and ordered 5 off the web from a generic supplier for the price of one belt locally. They should last me five years at the present rate of chewing. Sigh. I sent the manufacturer a message with images of my stickers and a
UPDATE I got a reply to my e-mail. The sticker on my tractor is wrong! My tractor was built by a subcontractor who made the mistake. So, the brand-OEM sent me the correct information and I’m good to go… Of course, there are errors in the manual, like diagrams showing idler pulleys that don’t exist and grease zerks that don’t exist… but at least I can now examine documentation without carrying it in from the garage in the comfort of my zoomable computer-screen.