Good Enough Is Good Enough

For years, I have held that GNU/Linux and FLOSS is good enough for 80-90% of users generally and 100% in many cases.“There is no point having a perfectly fitting system which some employees don’t use. You just need a good enough solution for your requirements … just look for good enough and you will see the cost of your IT drop dramatically. I am sure that we could save all of that €9.6 billion.” Still the trolls come forth and trumpet that such and such software has features that FLOSS and GNU/Linux lack. Well, here’s a bigwig in non-Free software who backs me up:

He’s right, of course that having software you don’t use and paying for it is stupid, but I would go further. Having non-Free software instead of FLOSS and GNU/Linux as the basis for your IT is the wrong way to do IT. You should not have to pay for permission to run the computers you own. FLOSS costs just a few percent as much as that other OS, for instance. Why pay more? FLOSS doesn’t tell you how to do things so you can get more done your way. Compare that with using M$’s software which often demands new hardware with a new version. What’s with that? Is M$ selling software or computers? Buy your computers from someone selling computers and software from someone selling software at market-price. FLOSS sells you software at market price. It costs a bit to produce and to maintain but you get to use it for $0, exactly. It’s right there in the licences: you can run, examine, modify and distribute the software. That’s the right way to do IT.

See Euro companies waste €10bn on business software every year – Sage CEO Letellier blames over-specified systems and a failure to focus on the user.

About Robert Pogson

I am a retired teacher in Canada. I taught in the subject areas where I have worked for almost forty years: maths, physics, chemistry and computers. I love hunting, fishing, picking berries and mushrooms, too.
This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Good Enough Is Good Enough

  1. dougman says:

    Paretos Law. Linux is good enough for 80% of the population. Of the other 20%, 80% could get by with a balanced usage of Linux, which leaves 4% that truly only need Windows 100% of the time, leaving 96% of the world to Linux.

Leave a Reply