Munich migrated a bunch of things to GNU/Linux from that other OS but the office suite was the biggest/most universal bit of lock-in. The Umbrian region of Italy has documented their migration to LibreOffice which definitely was to save money, lots of money.
“The cost of the migration is calculated to be around â‚¬56,000 per thousand workstations while the price of the same number of Microsoft Office licences would amount to â‚¬284,490. "That’s what we would have to have paid had we decided to upgrade our licences which, for budget reasons, were stuck on the 2010 version of Office: so it’s roughly a saving of â‚¬228,000,"”
This reinforces the argument I have made many times, that whatever the effort required to migrate to FLOSS, it’s worth it because the cost of M$’s licences one time may pay for the migration and the Wintel treadmill goes on forever. Forever multiplied by whatever price M$ wants to charge is far more than the one-time cost of migrating. The biggest migration I ever did broke even on the first day because we were able to buy twice as much equipment with the savings on software licences.
Another quote, documenting the obvious software-bloat in M$’s products: “We found out that most of our users exploit just 15 percent of their productivity suite, but you paying for the other 85 percent as well. It’s just like if you owned a Ferrari and only used it to drive at 30km per hour through the middle of town”
It’s a variation on the “80:20” rule. If you have a few people who actually use M$’s stuff reasonably effectively, it is much cheaper to migrate the rest or retrain those few than to keep everyone using M$’s stuff. I have never known anyone, in my entire career, that used that other OS effectively. I hardly ever saw a user of M$’s office suite that used “full justification”, for instance, because that feature, while available was not the default. It wasn’t even on the menu often. LibreOffice has it a click away. It always seemed bizarre to me that an office suite held to be state-of-the-art so resembled a typewriter. I remember typewriters and I know why the world moved past them.
See also, LibreUmbria