Global Triumph Of */Linux In 2013

It’s not as if */Linux dominated everything in every way. */Linux did dominate everything but the desktop in every way. The big thing that happened in 2013 is that */Linux took huge share of retail shelf-space at last and has begun to eat up the web stats.

For the greater certainty about what’s happened, if you extrapolate that least-squares fit to the data, expect a “singularity” in about six months, mid-summer. The growth of the webstats for Android/Linux will be far exceeding what M$ has seen lately, even with a monopoly on retail shelves. We are in a “positive feedback” zone where demand will grow possible exceeding supply. Essentially, the monopoly that once existed will have disappeared even in the statistics of M$’s “partners”. It’s long gone in the statistics for shipments/sales in 2013. The data is just taking some time to catch up.

Further, the share of GNU/Linux, while not as spectacular, continues to grow even as shipments of legacy PCs slump… GNU/Linux is beginning to be found on some retail shelves. While the stats globally are ~1%, there are many countries (Uruguay, Paraguay, Venezuela, Germany, Spain, …) where GNU/Linux is many times that level. Soon, other countries will follow their lead. It’s all good. I expect 2014 will have Wintel in free-fall with no good soft landing. */Linux has lots of upside. If there was any doubt left in 2013, it should be gone in 2014. We should see Chromebooks accepted globally then. So far, Chromebooks have done well in targeted markets like USA. There’s no reason they should not succeed in the rest of the world and GNU/Linux will also work for those who want thicker clients.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Global Triumph Of */Linux In 2013

1. lpbear wrote, ” While XP will run on as little as 256mb a more realistic level is 512mb! I can’t begin to imagine how painful 64mb would be to a user….”

XP did pretty well back in the day. A decade of updates bloated XP severely. Every bit of bloat introduced more bugs and vulnerabilities.

Linux is NOT supported!! Remove it NOWWWW!

…But its been working for the past few months without a problem?

I DONT CARE!!!…REMOVE THAT CRAP or WE CANCEL THE SUPPORT CONTRACT.

Makes one wonder how greedy someone can really be, all one can really do is point and laugh at the stupidity.

3. lpbbear says:

Pog wrote: “I toured one school where the computer teacher used that other OS and solemnly told me he would never use GNU/Linux because his lab was solid. He told me his print server had run six months without a reboot because he never updated it… It crashed a few weeks later. He used XP on 64MB machines and they crashed pretty regularly. This guy was a long-time M$-slave.”

64mbs! Was this guy even considered sane?????? While XP will run on as little as 256mb a more realistic level is 512mb! I can’t begin to imagine how painful 64mb would be to a user….

A friend of mine told me a story about his experiences at a medical clinic he worked at. He worked on the edge of the IT department there. In his particular department they were being forced to use a WinXP system as a print server. Of course it was falling on its face constantly. Lost print jobs, crashes etc. The people in his department called the IT department and asked for assistance. As is usual with most Windows based IT departments the requests for tech support were burying the IT guys beyond their ability to keep up. After several weeks of the issue not being taken care my friend shut down the WinXP box and replaced it with a discarded older computer that he set up with a Linux system using the same IP. He designated it to be the departments print server. No more problems. Print jobs all perfect, no crashes. On with actual day to day work without fighting the old Windows based print server.

A couple months go by and finally….finally one of the IT support guys shows up to close the old support ticket. The people in the department say “Never mind…..he fixed it. Its working fine.” Of course the IT support guys then get wind that its not Windows that solved the problem. They make a fuss over the fact and end up pulling the Linux system…..AND PUTTING THE WIN BOX BACK IN saying they fixed it!

You can probably guess what happens next………

Yep, right back to the same old crappy crashing Windows system with print jobs again being lost as well as productivity for the department.

Sigh…….

4. dougman wrote, “I have seen some M$ centric IT-idiots become outright belligerent when they discover Linux is around on their so-called network. It’s rather funny seeing how some people react to it.”

I’ve introduced many to GNU/Linux. Most are reasonable and love the improvement in performance on identical hardware. A few however are memorable:

• One visitor, asking to use a word-processor in the lab actually ran from the lab, screaming, with her hands in the air as if I committed a murder in front of her when shown OpenOffice.org on GNU/Linux. At the same school with a different visitor, the visitor was not even aware that GNU/Linux was involved and thought OpenOffice.org was M$’s office suite…
    • All kinds of students just sat agape when confronted with the much more responsive GUI. They could not believe their eyes. When 12 new in box AMD64 dual-core, 500gB HD machines were brought in the students expected to be blown away compared to our 8 year old PCs but they found “7” was “so slow!” and were glad to learn how to install GNU/Linux.
    • I toured one school where the computer teacher used that other OS and solemnly told me he would never use GNU/Linux because his lab was solid. He told me his print server had run six months without a reboot because he never updated it… It crashed a few weeks later. He used XP on 64MB machines and they crashed pretty regularly. This guy was a long-time M$-slave.

6. YesMan says:

I’d like to say though that a lot of the Linux sysadmin stuff is FAR, FAR superior to Windows tools. The OpenLDAP/Puppet/NFS combo completely destroys anything Microsoft can offer in flexibility.

But the problem is in environments with significant Windows nodes, they don’t work as well. Well, mostly because Windows wants to do everything differently.

A pure GNU/Linux network would be a dream to work on though. Or even just a network with *nix machines in general. Windows is the real problem here. Eliminate it and system administration becomes a joy.

7. YesMan says:

CacheFS is actually quite cool. CacheFS is a transparent cache in the Linux kernel that caches files from NFS locally when they are first accessed. Useful in situations where a person is likely to log into the same computer over and over, like is typical in a corporate environment. What is great about it is COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT. You can get all the benefits of NFS (same files everywhere, easier administration/backups), without the network bandwidth usage, unless it is needed. In a corporate install I’d set up NFS home drives with CacheFS. So no matter where they log in, they’ll have their same files. But it will be as fast as if it was on their HDD (because it is), when they log in to their usual workstations.

8. ram says:

Most “whitebox” (typically asian) computer stores sold mostly Linux machines. These were never captured in the sales stats. Likewise, most Linux servers are hand-built by the company (or their contractor) that is going to use the server. Again, never captured in “official” sales stats.

With the Steam machines coming, that is truly the end of Microsoft. A stunning strategic move by Steam.

9. YesMan wrote, “There are some interesting system administration possibilities (NFS loaded home drives with CacheFS local caching, Puppet/Chef based system management and OpenLDAP).”

Even the normal Linux file-caching gives amazing results when the file users need to log in or to start an application are already in RAM. That’s a huge plus for LTSP. XP users used to hard drives thrashing around for ~30s before the desktop is usable are pleased to get a usable desktop in a few seconds this way. The first time I showed this to students, one fell off his chair. He was in the habit of putting his feet up and leaning back while waiting … He never got into position before his desktop appeared. Since then, I have warned students that whiplash could be an adverse reaction to the snap of GNU/Linux. On larger systems, I had separate file-servers and openLDAP. It’s so cool to have an extra snappy server doing things better than most desktops can. At the last place I worked, I had SCSI RAID with ~2ms access time. Imagine GNU/Linux with SSD…

10. YesMan says:

I’d be interested in working in a place that used GNU/Linux workstations exclusively or mostly exclusively and get completely away from the shackles of Microsoft. There are some interesting system administration possibilities (NFS loaded home drives with CacheFS local caching, Puppet/Chef based system management and OpenLDAP).

11. dougman wrote, “your computer hardware does NOT get infected”.

There have been exceptions to that reasonable advice. BIOS firmware and device firmware has been infected. There were concerns about Huawei’s devices phoning home. Ha! Now it’s NSA’s turn. In the factories of the ROMs it would be possible to plant stuff from Day One and it might be possible for some agent to flash a ROM with nasty stuff. This is an important argument for going FLOSS all the way from the CPU to the motherboard to the expansion slots and dongles. A few companies do that and RMS blesses them…

While this issue is important for general security and Software Freedom, it’s no longer just theoretical or philosophical. The NSA is real and they are out to get us. They have a virtually unlimited budget with which to bribe/steal/insinuate in great detail.

12. dougman wrote, “with the NSA spying being prevalent, other countries are looking to turn their backs on M$.”

Yes. Some big IT firms including Google and M$ met with president Obama and set out their case. NSA running roughshod over trading partners is bad for business. Some want to blame Snowden for all these problems and side-effects but it was really bad government to create the NSA and give it no limits. Secret courts don’t cut it in a modern democracy. Just as M$ pushed its monopoly to the breaking point with customers/users/global IT, the NSA has done the same. This could well be an election-issue on a global scale and cause many countries to rethink their relationship with USA. I wish Canada would do that. It’s one thing to do business with a neighbour. It’s another to surrender sovereignty/accept slavery.

I predict the long term prospect for M$ and the others to sell services to much of the world will be seriously downgraded in the coming year. The enormity of the problems the NSA has caused are just sinking in. IT is so entrenched in modern society, migrating to FLOSS and benign suppliers could take a while but it will happen. I doubt there’s anything Obama or the US Congress can do in the short term to head this off. Trust is broken. It can’t be glued back together. What citizen of any country would now castigate any political leader/party/bureaucrat who found some way to punish USA for this? Think trade, communication, transportation, cooperation, … There is no relationship anywhere with USA that has not been harmed by the NSA. It may take a few years to quantify it but it could be a huge jog in the cash-flow/bottom line/influence/cooperation. At the same time, there is nothing Obama can do to put Snowden back in the bottle. It’s a train-wreck about to happen. The lead cars are already in the gorge. Pure inertia will do the rest.

M$ – GNU/Linux can replace that other OS easily within a year or two if the world is motivated. It’s hard to imagine greater motivation than M$ being a “partner” of the NSA.

Google – The world can support Yandex or roll their own global corporation to do Googlish things in short order. Every country can just commit to rolling out some standard data-centres with X-cores/MB/gB per 100K people and it would happen in a year or two. In that time, the world can make its own search engines and advertising companies if businesses want based on FLOSS/GNU/Linux.

FaceBook – see Google. Set up the system and grab the FQDN and go.

etc. There isn’t anything essential to the world that USA produces in IT that could not be replaced by the world in a few years. USA does not own all wealth, energy and ingenuity.

For that matter, the world could ban USA from all Internet and global communications pretty quickly. Just sever the cables and shut down earth stations around the planet. The world could invite Google and others to relocate if they swear disallegiance to USA/NSA. If the NSA wants to spy on the world, the world doesn’t need to make it easy for them. In the back of my head, with DARPA’s history, I would not be surprised to learn that the Internet was USA’s plan for global espionage from the beginning. We can stop that. Further, the world should demand that all the big IT players create systems that are provably free from spying, just in the same way that USA insists Iran be open about its nuclear programmes. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

Another item I failed to mention earlier is that with the NSA spying being prevalent, other countries are looking to turn their backs on M$.

“For instance, in the cloud computing sector, the Information Technology & Innovation Foundation reports that security concerns from foreign governments and foreign businesses about corporate-NSA collusion could lose American companies as much as $35 billion worth of business – and that’s a conservative estimate. More likely, says Forrester Research, the revenue loss “could be as high as $180 billion or a 25 percent hit to overall IT service provider revenues.”

I do know that Boeing recently lost a large $4.5B contract to Saab in supplying aircraft to Brazil. So one can estimate that this will trickle down to other industries as well.

Concerning Windows bit-rot, this is why I say on my website “Your computer is probably not broken. It’s your operating system that is causing you problems. If you are here, then you may have experienced problems with Microsoft Windows. That’s common. Microsoft Windows has a lot of problems. Remember your computer hardware does NOT get infected, your Windows operating systems does. Huge difference!”

15. lpbbear wrote “The hardware doesn’t just slow down over time.”

There are some exceptions to that. Adding devices can increase time recognizing them and loading drivers and with some BIOS it is possible to reduce clock-speeds although both of these might not even be noticed by someone not running a stopwatch.

On the matter of trolls, it is tempting to ignore them but because some of them are professional trolls and provide enough useful information from time to time to preserve their humanity that’s difficult. They always deteriorate into attacking the messenger and endlessly repeating stuff already debunked. I just have better things to do with my time, like cooking, eating, hovering over plants/seeds, other hobbies, etc. I give several hours to the blog every day. I don’t need to give any time to those trying to sabotage the blog.

There are some deficiencies in WordPress. One is that there aren’t multiple categories of Hell… so I could chuck the unredeemable into the deepest pit. It’s so high-maintenance to have to skim through the spam-queue to retrieve jewels. Another deficiency is that there isn’t really a mechanism to “bless” the good people except by issuing user-ids, again high-maintenance. I don’t want folks to have to create yet-another-account just to leave a comment.

16. lpbbear says:

Pog said “Where I last used it at work, re-installation was the only way to keep it going. The lady across the hall would not let me do that for fear of losing files so she put up with 5 minute delays per click. There was no malware found on her machine. There was no unusual software installed. The OS was broken. When I installed GNU/Linux the machine was perfectly normal.”

I have seen the same exact set of issues with all versions of Windows. It just plain falls apart over time and gets slower and slower. Users tend to forget that the personal computer is 2 things, software/operating system and hardware. The hardware doesn’t just slow down over time. Other than a failing hard drive it remains the same from day one. In Windows PCs its Windows itself that slows down. Yes, some add on software starts the process in some cases but even without add on software Windows just gradually falls apart getting slower with time. Reloading it brings it back to the performance level the owner saw when they first purchased it. Attempting to “fix” an existing install of Windows that is suffering from performance issues like this is a pointless waste of time. Many users think they need a new system when they begin to deal with this performance problem, but if it is a new Windows system the process will start with it too. They will have wasted their money in a pointless pursuit of performance that does not exist with an aging Windows system.

I applaud your decision to remove some of these posts, assuming you mean you are getting rid of the trolls here. They add nothing to the discussion. Their only constantly repeated comments are to deny any obvious truths about their favorite company or its products. Saying that Windows does not suffer from “Bit Rot”, or whatever term one wants to use to describe the gradual performance loss, is pathetically ridiculous. It is a FACT that it does.

I understand that you are not interested in spending your personal time babysitting these people on your blog but if you don’t do it….who will. These trolls contribute nothing here. Were it my blog I might actually allow a few of their posts if they contained anything of value to the discussion…..but…they very rarely do. Most of their posts are pointless chest beating rants that repeat the same old spiel over and over. And sadly a few of the “good guys” here waste even more effort by responding to them deluded into thinking there is a discussion going on with them or that it is even possible to “discuss” anything with these trolls. It’s not possible.

17. dougman wrote about “bit-rot”.

I have seen this so many times, I think I might have PTSD. Software once installed should just run and run. Why some people put up with BSODs, re-re-reboots, Patch Tuesdays, onerous licences and fees, doing business with a bully, etc. is beyond me. Life is so much simpler with FLOSS. Bit-rot is just not tolerated in FLOSS. The closest thing I have seen in GNU/Linux is the odd memory-leak. I have gone many system-years between such occurrences while problems with that other OS seem to happen every dozen or so system-weeks. In my last school, at one stage, I had 40 XP machines running fully updated and I had to work hours daily just keeping them running. I did one or two re-images per week. When we switched to GNU/Linux I doubled the number of machines and never had to do a re-image after the first installation. My labour dropped to minutes per day, mostly password resets and occasionally installing some new printer.

18. oiaohm wrote, ” Facebook and Google and Rackspace white box build all there servers.”

They are not the only ones. Anyone who wants total control of costs, devices, performance, etc. will want to specify exactly what goes in the box. I did that for 6 servers at one school. I was perfect, except for an “erratum” that was not published on the web. I had to work around the driver for the gigabit NIC… If I was not under a deadline, I would have been sorely tempted to return the motherboards but I only learned of the problem after the delivery date for the system. For me and my 6 servers, it wasn’t worth the fuss. You can bet Google and the big boys get exactly what they want and nothing else to optimize price/performance.

Still, all the big boys probably account for less than a million servers per annum when the global market is ~10 million units per annum. The vast majority of servers are running stuff on the web and on LANs. On the web the majority run GNU/Linux. On the LAN, M$ gets more play for hand-holding M$’s crippleware but still the infrastructure is often GNU/Linux. I doubt that M$ is on more than 50% of servers globally. M$ likes servers because the suckers that run M$’s stuff pay through the nose and don’t seem to care. The folks who don’t are laughing and relaxing evenings. I once read an article about IT guys at a conference. The GNU/Linux guys were relaxed and mellow while the folks running that other OS on their servers were cringing every time a phone rang. In my own work, I could do all the work of a dozen servers running that other OS with a single GNU/Linux box and it would just purr indefinitely. I was at one place where re-re-reboots between updates were killing me. Patch Tuesday was like an execution-date. Ruined my morning and sometimes my afternoon. I figure the value of that other OS is negative on a PC and much worse on a server, like a direct line to the slave-master.

UPDATE IDC had some relevant data: “ODM Direct server demand grew 45.2% year over year in 3Q13 to $783 million as unit shipments increased 30.7% to 325,685 servers. ODM Direct servers now represent 6.5% of all server revenue and 14.4% of all server shipments. 79.6% of all ODM Direct server revenue was generated in the U.S. in the quarter primarily through sales to Google, Amazon, Facebook and Rackspace.”

So, I was wrong. The big boys probably account for ~1 million of these homemade servers per annum. Amazing.

What a lovely present Robert, I agree with your decision. Hopefully the miscreants will leave the ‘Pog-Blog’ and not have to rely on a ‘IP director’ to get past the bans.

20. dougman wrote, “PlayStation runs BSD”.

That’s interesting. It probably gave Sony more control of everything, something they like, although it may make it very difficult to ever sell PC-software for machines not supported by BSD-kernel. Perhaps they are willing to limit themselves to their own brand of console. It’s all good but GNU/Linux would give them a bigger playground if they wanted it.

21. Comments referring to “bw” will go to the bit-bucket from now on. Same with some other well-known trolls. Sorry that the place may become boring but at least it will be civil.

Off-topic, but relevant to the big-picture.

PlayStation runs BSD: http://www.scei.co.jp/ps4-license/ So with SteamOS coming out it appears that Windows Xbox will be in the coming minority.

Another market lost for M$.

bw that half the server volume bit is how you measure it. Facebook and Google and Rackspace white box build all there servers. This is openly documented. There are most likely more of the major cloud players who do the same thing.

bw prebuilt servers mostly are those bought by the smaller businesses. Next support Licensing with redhat is done between you and redhat. The maker of the hardware does not get a cut in that payment. With windows hardware maker can get a cut out the MS Cals the server requires. So we can be looking at a case that 50 percent revenue in fact equals a smaller market share than the 28 percent Linux.

To be correct you can be 100 percent sure that Linux is over 50 percent of deployed servers. Yes deployed include built on site.

Here is a nice article regarding bit-rot.

Yonah, as you seem to have had superior knowledge to your former boss. Why not start your own computer business? Did you just walk away because your boss was making money from ignorant computers users dealing with Windows problems?

25. In preparation for the new year, I’ve decided to stop retrieving trolling comments from the bit-bucket. To keep legitimate comments out of the bit-bucket:
    1) keep the number of links to 3 or fewer
    2) don’t make any reference to the trolls. We know who they are.

26. Yonah wrote, “Bit-rot is a bogus and misleading term typically used by PC repair shops and later picked up by novice computer users. Reinstalling Windows annually is unnecessary if you stay aware of what programs are loaded at boot and what’s currently running during normal use. Simple as that.”

Hoo!Hah! Early for April Fool’s day! There is a reason Ghost and Clonezilla are widely used. Folks do have to re-install that other OS frequently. Where I last used it at work, re-installation was the only way to keep it going. The lady across the hall would not let me do that for fear of losing files so she put up with 5 minute delays per click. There was no malware found on her machine. There was no unusual software installed. The OS was broken. When I installed GNU/Linux the machine was perfectly normal.

27. bw wrote, “You are forgetting that more than half of the server revenues for the world are for Windows servers and that way more than half of the server unit volume is for Windows servers.”

Revenue, perhaps, but not unit volume. Check out cloud volumes. Check out Google, FaceBook etc. Check out Netcraft. “Considering only active sites, Microsoft’s growth was significantly lower (compared to its gain of 51M sites) with an increase of 478k active sites. Apache saw the largest increase of 622k active sites, and increased its market share by 2 percentage points to 54%.” M$ has 11.2% of active sites, nowhere near 50%. There’s a reason for that. Anyone rolling out anything on the web these days doesn’t feel the need to pay for permission from M$ to use the hardware they own. The value of servers lies in the services they provide and M$ provides nothing but pain.

IDC: “Linux server demand continued to be positively impacted by cloud infrastructure deployments, as hardware revenue increased at 5.6% year over year to $3.4 billion in 3Q13. Linux servers now represent 28.0% of all server revenue, up 2.5 points when compared with the third quarter of 2012.
    Microsoft Windows server demand was down -1.3% year over year in 3Q13 with quarterly server hardware revenue totaling $6.1 billion representing 50.3% of overall quarterly factory revenue, up 1.2 points over the prior year’s quarter.”
    Hint: That means recently M$ was less than 50% even in revenue. It also means the average server running that other OS is outrageously expensive compared to Linux servers. Further, a lot of servers are installed of an OS on site which means M$ is getting 50% of less than 100%…

28. bw says:

I’m glad I no longer do that kind of work for a living

And yet doughman is so proud of doing the same thing that he fantasizes about it!

29. bw says:

*/Linux did dominate everything but the desktop

huge share of retail shelf-space

Where? Brazil? China? Timbuctoo? To some, just one unit among the many Windows choices is called “huge”. I guess if you have been down so long, everything looks like up.

30. Mats Hagglund says:

3 million ChromeBooks sold. Is it much? Not globally but quite a lot in America (some 1½ million there). And this is just the first step for pre-installed Linux on thinclient boom.

31. Yonah says:

Many years ago I worked at a small town computer shop in Michigan. Biting my tongue while having to listen to my boss spew out technically incorrect explanations to customers and being told to “just reinstall windows (including a data back-up charge) because it takes longer and we can charge the customer more” is why I’m glad I no longer do that kind of work for a living.

Despite all the naysayers that speak otherwise, its rather engaging to see that Linux usage is on the rise.

Android, Chromebooks storm channel as Windows PC sales go flat

“Chromebooks, and Android tablets collectively had the biggest impact on sales growth, with 1.76 million units going through the channel from January through November of this year, compared to just 400,000 units in 2012.

Chromebooks accounted for 21 percent of all notebook* sales, up from negligible share in the prior year, and 8 percent of all computer and tablet sales through November, up from one tenth of a percent in 2012 – the largest share increase across the various product segments.”

With all the out of work M$ trolls that come here, perhaps they should seek re-education in the Linux word and get a job.

M$ is on the way out as a monopoly in operating systems. Linux Torvalds believes that Valve’s new Linux-based operating system (SteamOS) will help the platform as a whole on the desktop.

Re-installing Windows is a tedious process, that’s why I always charge more money to do so. Some people actually re-install Windows once a year as Windows slows down due to bit-rot.

“Windows Bit-Rot is the tendency for a Windows system to get slower and slower over time. Becoming slower to boot, taking longer to log-in, and taking longer to start programs. Along with other symptoms like excessive and continuous hard disk activity when nothing is running.”

This is why Linux is far superior to Windows, you get the Win without the Doh!!

34. Mats Hagglund says:

The main reason why Linux has not won on pc is because hardly more than 2-3 percent of people are ready to install any kind of OS.

People do not decide the marketshare of OS. People actually do not care about OS.

Correct, Linux has dominated every market, save for the desktop as M$ saw fit to guard that one venue at all costs and in doing so, missed the BIG picture worldwide.

As I have mentioned before when you look at market share by category, Linux comes out ahead.