XP To GNU/Linux?

“Will there be difficulty to support hardware with more modern Windows releases? I expect the answer is ‘yes,’ but configuring Linux is not a day at the beach either. I think there is an after-market for older PCs, and most will end up either running XP unsupported or be converted to run Linux.”

That’s a reasonable viewpoint of Al Hilwa, program director for applications development software at IDC. XP unsupported could work off-line and some folks might try “DeepFreeze” or some such technology to rewrite everything on every reboot. Applications, however, are the big problem. If your applications are unsupported, you cannot handle new file-formats or get any protection from an accumulating list of vulnerabilities. They are also the chief lock-in these days. If you have invited some cancerous app in to run your business, how can you change without harming the business?

The answer I suggest is to move all the stuck applications to web applications and just change to GNU/Linux ASAP. Many critical applications are not that complex but it may take some programming or using a combination of applications to replace them. You only have to do that once if you use FLOSS, however, because you can always access the code. The problem of lock-in is failure to adopt FLOSS last time there was a big change. Lock-in will only get worse if M$ and “partners” have anything to do about it. Munich showed how it is done. They were forced to migrate because NT was disappearing. They found all kinds of duplication around the organization and cut their lock-in a lot just by eliminating applications doing similar tasks. They ended up with only a few applications that needed to be kept and they only needed those on a few PCs. It takes an effort but in less than one refresh-cycle you break even because you can keep your existing PCs a bit longer and you avoid most licensing fees.

See Goodbye, Win XP – Hello, Linux?.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to XP To GNU/Linux?

Take the test! Google scores 4:1 over Bing. http://www.bingiton.com/

11 Reasons the BingItOn Survey makes no sense

“Yahoo trying to wiggle out of its Bing search deal with Microsoft” Seems yahoo is losing money in the deal.

Hey Bing-Loser did you start your book yet?

Conversation I heard, “Wait a minute… There are people who use Bing?…Yeah, their name is Siri”

All BING does is copy and imitate Google

Also, Bing pays loyal servants with gift-cards.

Because It’s Not Google (BING)

3. lpbbear says:

“Bing It!”

That video is typical of Microsoft. Pay some huge amount of money to try and fool people into thinking Bing and their shitty phone is equal to being cool like the idiot actors are supposed to be in the video.

“Bing, so good M$ must pay or invest money for people to use it.”

Thats not the only thing they are pulling. I am seeing increasing numbers of customers showing up with their browser home pages forcibly changed to “Bung”…er excuse me… “Bing” without them asking for it or even knowing how it happened. One yesterday was quite upset because they couldn’t figure out how to get back to Google. Perhaps that was Dr. Bozo’s job, coming up with ways to trick or force systems into using Bing?

“Bing It!”

Bing, so good M$ must pay or invest money for people to use it.

In time, M$ will be paying people to use it’s phones, tablets and OS in order to move it. There is already discussions about offering it’s phone and RT thingy for free.

Linux, IS the better choice over the long-term.

But perhaps I’m being unfair. Perhaps Dougie has a fine command of the American vernacular, and what he actually meant to say was “faucet,” not “facet.” Herewith, therefore, a corrected version of his observation:

In fact, M$ continually bets on this faucet, but fails to realize the monopolies cannot tie up the market forever, it goes against nature, where diversity rules.

Not really much better, is it?

Forgive me, Dougie. I’ve only got about ten years’ experience of living in America, but from what I remember, the chief feature of a faucet was the ability to turn it on and off at will. Not an especially well-chosen metaphor, is it?

Incidentally, for those of our Maryland-based chums who need to know the equivalent in British English, it’s “taps.”

Always at the service of poor ignorant slobs who stand in dire need of education.

“Vernacular,” indeed.

Insults? It’s you nickname as your the BING Doctor, deal with it.

Did you notice the “scare quotes” around “insults,” Dougie? Did You? Are you aware of the fact that “scare quotes” are a form of negation? You didn’t insult me; you are too gormless to manage that. And, factually, I have not worked for Bing in six months, though I still believe it’s a search engine on a par with Google. Competition is good.

No you you stated it sarcastically, that every Linux user is a genius. Quit trying to mince words.

Based on this misconception, I’m beginning to wonder what your SAT score was. Did it reach into treble digits? Read what I said again. I am (rhetorically, not categorically, and certainly not sarcastically) allowing the prior assumption that the readers of this site — I presume they are mostly Linux users, although it’s reasonable to assume they are a subset – are geniuses.

To repeat: One thing you’re forgetting, lads. The average PC is not a genius like you.
    You’d have to be particularly recalcitrant not to recognize that my argument, here, is that there are barriers to adoption (Linux as a replacement for XP) that need to be surmounted. Whether or not you, Dougie, are a genius (you appear to have a long stony path ahead of you even to approximate “accomplished idiot”) is not actually relevant.

Facet/Faucet, sorry if my American vernacular is not on par with your English colloquialism.

In my limited comprehension, and I’ll leave Robert to check it up in his trusty 1911 Websters, “facet” and “faucet” are actually two different words, meaning two entirely different things. I’m struggling to see how “vernacular” comes in here, American or otherwise. Ignorance of correct spelling, perhaps? Inability to express yourself coherently? Yes, all of that.

Doesn’t bode well for “Toastmasters,” incidentally. The two words are not even phonetically identical, so you’d be caught out even in speech.

Hmmmm, what have I done for FLOSS. Not that I have obligation to cast thy pearls before troll’n swine, but since you asked.

Please don’t misuse “thy,” Dougie. It demeans even you. Difficult, I know, but some forms of pretentious ignorance need to be nailed to the wall, and this is one of them.

Well lets see, click my name and behold I have website that advocates Linux.

I had so clicked, months ago. All I see is a man who sells snake-oil for a living. There’s a tangential relevance to FLOSS (it’s free as in beer fuel, of course), perhaps, but I wouldn’t boast about running a business based on stiffing the source contributors for free if I were you. That site is the sort of thing that puts people off FLOSS.

I have spoken about Linux during networking events and at Toastmasters extensively.

Thrilling. Yet one more voice in the heavenly choir. And of course Toastmasters is not at all an organization devoted to helping educationally-deprived yet self-preening marketroids, such as yourself, learn how to express their “inner serpent” for fun, sales and profit.

A very worthwhile enterprise from a FLOSS perspective, I would think. Typical, indeed.

Anyhow. Written any code? Run any tests? Documented anything? Used the “Four Freedoms” to any sort of effect? Or just piggy-backed on the hard work of others? (Yes, I am aware that FOSS is hard and serious work.)
    I’m guessing the piggy-backing…

Yourself? Glorifying Communism while dissing Linux and Linus….true show of your colors.

Er, WHAT? You kind of lost me there, Dougie. Froth some more. Tea-Party me, Big Boy!

7. YesMan understated the situation, writing, “Windows is a giant mess of conflicting and redundant libraries that enables a persistent ecosystem of malware and operating inefficiency that is also difficult to maintain.”

That’s just the tip of the iceberg ships wreck on… One huge issue with that other OS is licensing. It’s way too complex beyond any reasonable business-purpose. It’s fraudulent IMHO.

The big thing for me is that the company is run by EVIL men. They are not businessmen but highway robbers and pirates. They have gotten away with far too much under the guise of monopoly. Everything else follows from the evil in their hearts. They are not willing to compete on a level playing field but scream bloody murder when anyone gives preference to FLOSS. Taxing the world’s IT is one of the greatest economic crimes ever perpetrated.

8. YesMan says:

Windows is a giant mess of conflicting and redundant libraries that enables a persistent ecosystem of malware and operating inefficiency that is also difficult to maintain. Linux makes a more coherent foundation for an operating system. I stress that Linux and the GNU toolchain are simply foundations, there is much more needed to produce a complete OS.

Insults? It’s you nickname as your the BING Doctor, deal with it.

Well lets see, click my name and behold I have website that advocates Linux.

Migrated scores of SMB’s and individuals to Linux.

Donated money to Linux Mint, which is more popular then Ubuntu.

Performed pro bono and charity work with Linux.

Given valuable feedback in Linux forums and to devs to make improvements.

Ah, Mr Man, how little you understand.

According to the Bing-a-Ling ‘DR’ …

I haven’t worked for Bing in six months now. Got any other “insults?”

… computer users must be geniuses to use Linux.

I presume that one of the reasons you possess a dismal SAT score is that you just don’t understand anything you read?
    This is not what I said. I freely admitted that every Linux enthusiast on this site is a genius. By implication, indeed, I suggested that you are all far above average in the grey-matter department.
    What I did not claim is that it takes a genius to use Linux. I left the question of intellectual capacity entirely open in that sense; intentionally. If you’re going to put words into my mouth, at least make them sound faintly realistic.

I think what he is inferring is that Windows users are stupid.

I’m not inferring anything, Mr Man. And I’m certainly not implying that Windows users are stupid. I leave that to those who, like you, prey upon the less well-informed of the 90% of legacy computer users who use Windows. (And who don’t know the difference between an inference and an implication. Education is so important, don’t you think?)

Facet? What an interesting choice of word. Does it mean anything, or have your poetic juices just leaked out all over the bathroom? Turn that “facet” off!
    Good to know that you’re up on biological diversity. Explain this, then: why is there only one sapient species on Earth? (Don’t bother to explain why you think you belong to that species: I doubt the dolphins would have you.) “Natural” my left foot.

No appeal you say, perhaps in your USA-centric view, but internationally Linux has been making huge in-roads. I even run my businesses sans Windows and I make it a special point to assist others in doing so, its my passion…whats yours?

I don’t have a USA-centric view (I don’t live in Maryland), and although I follow Robert’s international arguments, I am yet to be convinced. My passion? I solve IT problems (I’m platform neutral) and I don’t ever lie to my customers. I’m not a good fit for your business, either way.

Ooh wow, the DR. mentioned my name three times! Which reminds me of a saying “If you not receiving flak, you not on target.”

Beware the mangled metaphor, Dougie. It takes an educated person to get it right.
    I’m not shooting at you: I’m laughing at you. Have you ever contributed a single thing to FLOSS?
    No? I thought not. Even I have done more than you have. How very sad.

11. oe says:

Funny,….I migrated to GNU/Linux over 5 years ago from M$ because it WAS EASIER to use……than either of the Big Two choices.

More and more things in small business are going server side or cloud side. So end clients less and less need to be PC’s.

This is part of the problem with the cross training idea. Exactly why should I train my employees in the latest version of Windows or in the version of Windows the company uses when my staff already know how to use Android devices.

Sorry Dr Loser Android has smashed a huge hole in that cross training arguement.

Really what percentage of staff need to do lot of the advanced tasks. Remember Android does have QuickOffice from google.

This is the big problem the GNU desktop does not need to get up at this stage and have battle for Microsoft to be in trouble.

Now Linux server running particular applications due to no limits have some advantages of the Android users who lack particular applications.

So according to the Bing-a-Ling ‘DR’, computer users must be geniuses to use Linux. I think what he is inferring is that Windows users are stupid. In fact, M$ continually bets on this facet, but fails to realize the monopolies cannot tie up the market forever, it goes against nature, where diversity rules.

Doc, again mutters something about ‘cross-training’, well sadly to say this is true, but however the same thing would be required for migration Win-Dohs 7 or 8, so his point here is moot.

Why should people go out and buy a new computer when the old ones works as is already? Just install Linux and all your malware worries, patch Tuedays, reboots and slow startups melt away.

14. lpbbear says:

” Upgrade to Windows 7 via E-Bay
    Not that hard. $39 at the bottom end. For a decent upgrade, maybe $75. There are silly options above that”

There are very few XP systems that are capable of being moved to Windows 7. You know that and we all know it as well. Well, let me say that differently… There are very few XP systems that are capable of being moved to Windows 7 and those that can be are likely to be barely useable unless you don’t mind long waits for basic functions…..like logging into the desktop, opening a simple program or even shutting the system down. For most XP systems a far better choice is Linux simply because of the huge performance advantage on the same hardware over Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. You’re not fooling anyone with your BS.

15. DrLoser wrote, “Munich took ten years. SMEs cannot afford that”.

SMEs don’t typically install PCs either. They contract with some consultant to plan and to install the system. They can just choose the GNU/Linux option and it will happen. I did that and the cost of PCs was cut in half and there was money left over for a wonderful infrastructure. It likely takes a consultant familiar with GNU/Linux or an audit by M$ to do that but it does happen. Larger businesses call on IBM or RedHat to give them reliable IT. The biggest outfits probably still do it themselves judging by job-descriptions but sometimes even they ask for “help”. Heaven help them if they ask one of M$’s “partners” for help. Real small businesses just buy retail and plug things in just as they do at home. When GNU/Linux is available on retail shelves, it will happen.

16. Mats Hagglund wrote, “the Neanderthal of OS (Windows) is in big trouble.”

They’ve been in big trouble for a decade or more but coasted on installed base. They don’t have that with small cheap computers. Giving that other OS away is a valid option for a properly diversified high-tech outfit but they are tied to so much legacy crapware that they have to be careful not to hit the bottom line too much. If the German anti-FAT ruling stands and spreads they will get a huge to the bottom line, perhaps a few $billion per annum, not much in the scheme of things but giving the software away is something they may not want to happen at the same instant. I see this as a future possibility, perhaps 2015ish, not this year. Ballmer said they were a hardware company. Giving away software doesn’t fit that well. If they wanted a rapid increase in share, they could just dump all the money they waste on that other OS into Android/Linux and instantly be competitive. They could probably ramp up to Samsungish proportions in a couple of years that way, much faster than giving away their software and they would have Google paying most of the costs of development.

No, I think as long as Bill Gates is around M$ will continue to try to be the boss. He’s so full of himself and actually believes he’s doing the right thing by stifling competition. Joining competition in a spirited way is not what he does. He could be around for another decade or more. That’s how tyrants usually get their comeuppance. They die of old age or are assassinated. BG has rigged it so that no one can get rid of him no matter the bottom line or the market.

One thing you’re forgetting, lads. The average PC is not a genius like you. Also, they (theoretically, in this case) also own an operative XP machine.

We can offer them several options:

Download and run Linux! It’s free! It has an office suite and blah blah blah.

No appeal whatsoever. Can you imagine the cross-training required in a small business? Heck, even Munich took ten years. SMEs cannot afford that. And individual home customers just get bored. Sorry, “freedom” doesn’t sell.

Stick with your current computer until it blows up. No, your XP warranty system has run out. Yes, you are vulnerable.

Do you know how many average PC consumers care, or even understand? I think you’re dreaming if you believe that number is even over 5%. For once I agree with you and the consumers are wrong … but that’s hardly the point.

Upgrade to Windows 7 via E-Bay

Not that hard. $39 at the bottom end. For a decent upgrade, maybe $75. There are silly options above that, but they bring me to:

BUY A NEW PC.

Not a difficult choice if you want to work on a “legacy” PC and your previous one runs XP, which would suggest a tiny slow hard-drive and a shortage of RAM and the usual busted caps, etc.

What you people don’t understand is the consumer dynamic. It’s trivially easy to understand — people want new things — but you keep missing this. And if people cannot afford “new things” this year, they’ll gladly pay $75 to upgrade the old things and do the same thing they always did.
    They got past a high-school equivalency many years ago. They’re not like Dougie, who failed even that. But like Dougie, they don’t want to go through the hell of learning a new thing (ie the Linux desktop). And like Dougie, they’ll pay chump change in order to avoid learning something that they really have no need or desire to learn.

18. Mats Hagglund says:

Looks like Microsoft is foced to give its OS free for some devices… the Neanderthal of OS (Windows) is in big trouble.