GIMP, The Better Image Processor

I read a review of GIMP and got excited that there had been a new release, but no, it’s GIMP 2.8 which I have been using for a while.

Users perceptions about GIMP are varied. Just as I find PhotoShop bewildering with its tools, GIMP, too, is a complex application which is very versatile. You can do lots of things with it, despite the perception that it is somehow second rate:
“The reality has changed dramatically over the last couple years. GIMP now has a very competent user interface, as well as an extensive and powerful set of features. Its openly extensible nature means that in some areas, like running well-known image processing algorithms on your photos, it actually outshines Adobe Photoshop.”

see GIMP review: This free image editor is no longer a crippled alternative to Photoshop.

It’s more than price and features. You can extend GIMP any way you want and you can examine and modify the source code if you want to know how it works or to get it to do something different. That’s far superior to that other image editor and it avoids the lock-in that Adobe promotes. GIMP has been going since 1997 and it keeps getting better. If there’s something you can’t do with Gimp, someone will fix that sooner or later. In the meantime, there’s no reason you can’t do everything else with GIMP for a lot less cost and with a lot more freedom than Adobe allows. Compare the price/performance of GIMP v PS and it’s infinitely better with GIMP. Adobe will allow you to use your PC for image editing for $20 to $50 per month depending on how much freedom you wish to give up. GIMP gives you freedom for $0. Excellent!

This entry was posted in technology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to GIMP, The Better Image Processor

Dr Loser really you should have read link. End users of gimp have requested 5 different interfaces for non destructive editing. All with there own unique advantages and disadvantages.

Dr Loser http://www.hellocatfood.com/non-destructive-image-editing-and-git/

Sorry you did not read the link did you there are 5 different ways non destructive editing can be interfaced.

Even the other graphical editings tools don’t do non destructive editing all the same way.

Dr Loser there is no fixed define of how to implement non destructive editing. There are horible ways to stuff it up.

Yes users want Non destructive editing. Getting out the them want interface they want to control it is like pulling teeth.

3. Dr Loser says:

I apologise, oiaohm. I didn’t pay attention to you. Consequently I merely hammered your stupid little argument into the ground, rather than actually demolishing it. So then, let’s review your argument:

Problem why its not merged mainline is on going arguments what features end users want in non-destructive editing.

The simple way is the best. Do you know, oiaohm, “what features end users want in non-destructive editing?”

You appear to severely slow on the uptake here. Let me explain what features end users want in this instance. And I apologise if I repeat myself.

The only feature that end users want in non-destructive editing is non-destructive editing.

There, now. Take your meds, lie down in your happy happy place, and think about it. It’s nice and simple.

Non-destructive editing.

I’m sure it will sink in, eventually.

4. Dr Loser says:

Next release of gimp is highly engine focused. Color depth and performance issues thing of past. In the future list of the road map over half of those can be done by existing gimp extensions.

This is why I say bw was over claiming. Making out that gimp could not do things. There is a handful of things gimp cannot do at all. Those are mostly all killed by 2.10 release coming.

Possibly. Theoretically. At some point in the unspecified future. Meeting user requirements to some unspecified degree.

Is this the best you’ve got, oiaohm? “We’re almost there?” GiMP has been “almost there” for longer than anybody can remember.

As of now, it isn’t.

Of course you would not think there are extensions to gimp that give full non-destructive. Cleanly and simply.

Out of the box? No. Even if it works (and for the sake of argument it does), it requires grobbling around with plug-ins and the like.

Very clean and simple. Not.

That’s always the first feature I look for in a professional product. Are the developers still arguing about the details of something every competitor has had for several years?

Yes? Then give me some of that good argumentative stuff! Just what I want as a non-technical professional in the field of graphic artistry!

This is pitiful stuff, even by your standards, oiaohm.

OK, here we go. Don’t let it be said that I’m not making a constructive criticism of GiMP.

Hey, this way suxs it should be simpler.

Dr Loser http://www.hellocatfood.com/non-destructive-image-editing-and-git/

Like do you want it hosted in a git/svn or some other versioning control solution.

Yes out box gimp support non destructive editing. To get decent usable UI install/build extensions.

We really do need graphics users to tell gimp developers what form of Non-destructive they want. The core todo all the different forms is in gimp.

Dr Loser
    –Good to know. I will defer downloading this nasty and horrible thing (your words, not mine) until they’ve hooked up the tortuous and painful and no doubt gorgeous command-line version of a non-destructive edit to the GUI.–

Extensions in gimp can hook stuff upto the UI. Non-destructive by the third party addons to gimp is insanely nice. http://www.hellocatfood.com/non-destructive-image-editing-and-git/

Non-Liner Version Control in GIMP particularly.

Dr Loser basically yes Gimp can do non-destructive editing. By default it hooked up badly. After a few extensions is insanely nice. Big reason why its not in default is everyone keeps on disputing how it should be done.

Should it be git, svn, in the file….

Please note I said inside gimp. Extensions to gimp address problem.

Now the debate really need to be what form of Non-destructive editing to end users really want. Do you want one that you can host on a shared server.

7. Dr Loser says:

After all, that’s not at all the sort of thing that a user of Photoshop would expect, is it?

It might have taken the GiMP team ten years or more, but I’m convinced that the end result will have people queuing round the block.

Dr Loser and Yonah you both have over looked something.

Paint Shop Pro might have a better interface than gimp but its slow.

There is a large list of painful due to UI. Then carefully notice that version 3.0 is a full UI rework.

Every engine fix is gimp is leaving reviewers with less and less they can say gimp cannot do.

Gegl the back end engine that is replacing the old engine of gimp fully supports non destructive editing. 2.10 gimp will be fully running on this. So only reason why 2.10 will not have non-destructive editing is failure to hook it up to UI.

Yes 2.8 is showing parts that are part of 2.10 feature list.

9. Dr Loser says:

Exactly the sort of non-destructive editing I was looking for, then.

I will download this nasty horrible thing forthwith.

10. Yonah says:

Robert, I will agree that Adobe’s new monthly pricing scheme is going to get some people’s panties in a bunch. In the meantime, anyone working with digital imaging on a daily basis should either purchase a copy of Photoshop CS6 or have their employer purchase a copy for them while it’s still available. The latter method works for me.

On the other hand, Paint Shop Pro X6 is only $60 USD. PSP, not GIMP, is the next best thing to Photoshop and has a UI that won’t make your head explode. My only concern is PSD (Photoshop’s native format) file compatibility. I haven’t used PSP in awhile and currently don’t know how well it handles existing PSD files.

11. YesMan says:

Robert,

This is true. A lot of properitary software packages are giant ripoffs where only a tiny fraction of the retail cost actually goes towards continued development. The vast majority goes to enrich some multi-millionare or billionare’s already huge bank account.

But PS is also one of the most, if not the most pirated pieces of productivity software. Even though piracy is illegal, it’s widely practiced and tolerated all around the world. There is really no reason to PAY for Photoshop, and you can assume that the vast majority of people who use Photoshop never paid a dime to Adobe for it.

I feel like people wouldn’t be talking as much shit about The GIMP if PS was impossible or difficult to pirate though. So maybe it is in Adobe’s best interest to keep Photoshop in a state where it is easy to pirate.

Yonah really over time I have not recommend gimp that much. I am more a krita and digikam user. Gimp cannot progress while people keep on saying it does not have x or y functionality when it does. People really do need to state hey this way suxs it should be simpler.

Yonah there is a very powerful gimp extension. http://registry.gimp.org/node/186 Layer Effects

Yonah sorry stock gimp does not have the feature you are talking about. Non stock with extension has that Stroke Layer effect.

Style Layers are extensions to gimp Yonah. Yes the layer effect stuff does auto update when you change text just like Photoshop does. Also shows preview.

This is the catch most of the gimp issue is UI. There are a lot of extensions that address particular UI issues.

There are a handful that are missing core features.

13. Yonah, apologist for Adobe, wrote, ” An absolutely ridiculous waste of time.”

Fiddling with text like that is a waste of time. I agree.

In my life I have been involved in quite a few projects large and small. The one thing I know is that for any project the right way to do them is to figure out the best order of operations for things not done in parallel. Create the text and style it afterwards. Simple. Done. Looking good. Such advice works in all walks of life: cooking, building homes, gardening, hunting, programming computers…

In programming computers, I always advise people to look at the project as two things: a data-structure and the algorithms applied. You can’t write a good software for a moving target in the data-structure. Neither can you use an application properly if the goal is poorly understood. Putting the right effort and discipline into both is required.

There is no doubt that Adobe’s software works for many but it is far from essential and there’s no reason at all that Adobe should be paid multiple times for their work. It’s over-priced. People who care about price shouldn’t buy it.

There’s proof of that assertion in their latest 10-Q:
    Gross profit as a percentage of revenue
    94% “Digital Media”
    67% “Digital Marketing”
    95% “Printing and Publishing”
    85% “Total”

That screams, “RIP OFF!”

Of course, it’s in Adobe’s interest to maximize profit but it’s not in the best best interest of users of computers to pay more than GIMP costs for great image editing capability.

14. Yonah says:

Still no style layers. Let’s say you want to add stroke to a text layer so it’s easier to read against a complex background. I found a tutorial for how to accomplish this in GIMP here: http://www.gimpology.com/submission/view/how_to_outline_text/

1. Create some text.
    2. Create a path from that text.
    3. Create a new layer beneath the text.
    4. Make a selection from the path you made.
    5. Grow the selection to the desired stroke size.
    6. Flood fill the selection with the desired color.

After all that work the results look OK, but if you edit the text you have to do the whole process over again. I suppose you could hunt around for a script to do this (if it even exists) or if you’re oiaohm you could spend time creating your own script.

How to create stroked text in Photoshop?

1. Create a text layer.
    2. Add a Stroke style layer.
    3. Adjust the size, color, position, opacity as desired. All of which are updated in real time so you can see the results before closing the style properties window.

Done. Best of all, if you change the text in any way, the stroke automatically updates to match, instantly. With GIMP you often have to do things the long and hard way, over and over again. GIMP often doesn’t show you a preview image (unless applying a filter) or update the image you’re working on to show you the end results of anything you do until after you apply the change. That leaves you having to use the undo function often until you get the results you want. Even changing the text color doesn’t update until after you close the palette picker. An absolutely ridiculous waste of time.

Dr Loser google has include a method to allow us to insert our own signing key into a chromebook. That feature must be included.

The issue with EFI. If you provide a tool to replace the signing keys Microsoft will not sign it. Chromebook is using physical switch protection of master key.

secure boot EFI is in fact only using software, So it is possible in theory for an attack to replace the master key and leave your EFI system bricked.

Dr Loser technically it possible to make a chrome-book boot windows 8. Depends on the model of course. Like the chomebook pixel. Core of that is coreboot. Remove the google secure lock from boot. Add UEFI payload. Yes it will run windows 8.

So if you are willing todo unlimited number of horible steps you can get there in the end.

Try converting a Windows RT tablet.

2 things are wrong with UEFI. No physical lock on the master key. No method provide for end users to replace the master key as written instructions supported by hardware makers.

Dr Loser Please note my next line.
    Key features.

Non destructive editing falls under a key feature.

–Can the GIMP do non-destructive editing?–

The answer is yes does support non destructive editing Dr Loser but its currently down right horible, Impractical and nasty inside gimp. Its basically exploiting hidden layers and versioning inside gimp. Basically manually running non destructive editing. What is missing is automatic non destructive editing.

Dr Loser “William Tiberius Shatner” got it right Gimp color depths are still primitive. Its support of non destructive editing in primitive. These are all key features.

There are other features that are unique to gimp. Pantone can be loaded into gimp.

This is the problem there are a lot of miss claims. Yes gimp has non destructive editing method required to use it down right suxs. So most people believe it does not have it at all. This makes them think its going to be massive work to support it.

Non destructive editing issue in gimp is a clean up UI problem more than a back engine problem.

17. YesMan says:

There is also another image editor called Pinta which is a fork of the Paint.NET someone else mentioned here. It also supports CYMK.

18. YesMan says:

Robert,

Krita has CYMK support.

19. Dr Loser says:

Can you run it in a virtual machine or is that turned off in the Google kernel?

No idea, Robert; I haven’t tried. And if I were going to run anything in a VM, it wouldn’t be on a low-powered notebook (nice though that might be as a dedicated thin client).

Tell me again: what’s your objection to UEFI and boot certification?

Because, for the life of me, I cannot see any difference between that and the novelty BIOS of the ChromeBook.

With one small caveat: it’s actually quite easy to get around the limitations of UEFI.

I’d guess it would take several hundreds of thousands of dollars effort to get around the completely pointless limitations of the ChromeBook BIOS.

Why oh why did Google (“First, Do No Evil!”) consider this to be a fair or equitable way to distribute software?

Do they, for some petty-minded reason, have it in for FreeBSD?

Concerned minds wish to know.

20. YesMan says:

William Tiberius Shatner,

How much serious work are you actually getting as a “professional photographer” and from who?

21. That Exploit Guy says:

It’s out in the garage with the mice.
    That just makes you all the more relevant to the subject of photo editing, doesn’t it?

22. That Exploit Guy says:

Software Freedom, Thy Name Is Google!
    Nice find. Could you imagine the cry for blood if the machine was meant to run Windows?

23. WTS wrote, “Make and model?”

Darned if I know. It’s out in the garage with the mice. I think it’s Optimus or so. I bought it at one of the many photography shops that are now closed… around 1976.

24. That Exploit Guy says:

@dougman
    I used GIMP for all my graphics, saved myself hundred of dollars
    I used Paint and Paint .Net and “saved myself hundreds of dollars” as well, so what?
    Show me that GIMP is indeed a 100% substitute for any of its current commercial counterparts, or all that you have is empty talk – as usual.

25. YesMan says:

I use The GIMP professionally for small tasks, but I’m not a pro-graphic designer (and don’t want to be). Maybe PS is more advanced, but it’s not worth the price tag for me.

26. Dr Loser wrote, ” Nothing wrong with that, but it makes booting anything other than your own linux kernel very difficult. “.

Can you run it in a virtual machine or is that turned off in the Google kernel?

27. WTS wrote, “why would you argue that anyone, professionals especially should limit themselves to low colour depth?”

I don’t argue that. I argue that a profession as large as photography has all kinds of opportunities to specialize. Many photographers don’t print stuff.

e.g. Hollywood. The advertising departments may publish in newspapers and magazines but the main work is producing video, DVDs and such, not anything that needs Pantone to get the right ink to mix.

The web. People are visiting pages for seconds, not long enough to appreciate most digital images at higher depths. Even newspapers and magazines are switching to the web. Do they need PS for that? No.

Books. Many books are still printed but printing is deprecated. ebooks and such are the way to go. Does anyone care about the colour depth on an RGB display with a small number of megapixels?

GIMP is being improved with the use of GEGL stuff. From GEGL.org:
    “GEGL provides infrastructure to do demand based cached non destructive image editing on larger than RAM buffers. Through babl it provides support for a wide range of color models and pixel storage formats for input and output.” So, if this is an impediment it will sooner or later be gone.

28. bw says:

I used GIMP for all my graphics, saved myself hundreds of dollars

Are you blaming the grossly distorted graphics on that web site you link on GIMP? I would bet that it is operator error. If GIMP were that bad, no one would use it.

29. William Tiberius Shatner says:

Honestly Pogs, it’s all about being able to capture (and in a digital workflow, manipulate) details.

As a professional photographer, you wouldn’t argue that limiting yourself to shooting at 200 ASA and a quick shutter time is “enough” for any situation; why would you argue that anyone, professionals especially should limit themselves to low colour depth?

30. Dr Loser says:

Isn’t FreeBSD the kernel mostly supported by enthusiasts?

Well, I’m an enthusiast, Robert. I feel sorry for everybody on this site who has succumbed to mere expediency (and a rather broken expediency at that).

But, since we’re on the subject:

Yes. I plan to try to get FreeBSD booting on a Chromebox (not the same but close enough- both use the 2nd generation core boot firmware described here).

Don’t hold your breath.

It’s not clear this can be done without some programming. The boot codes for Chrome OS devices aren’t so much “non standard BIOS” as completely their own thing. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes booting anything other than your own linux kernel very difficult.

Software Freedom, Thy Name Is Google!

31. William Tiberius Shatner says:

On the topic of fluking out and picking the example Red 032 C Pantone, and all standard Pantone designations being a subset of the CMYK colour gamut, I should mention, you’re pretty SoL if you require metallic, reflecytive or matte Pantones.

32. William Tiberius Shatner says:

“Pantone is often provided with printers sold by the likes of HP, so CMYK in GIMP could be useful to those.”

I don’t think you and I are on the same page here, Pogs. Consumer printers don’t magically auto-match to Pantone. It doesn’t work that way. The purpose of Pantone is to use a colour swatch and KNOW what it’ll come out as.

Further, much press work is on, believe it or not, presses. The printer (as in the profession, not the machine) needs to know which inks to mix in which quantities to achieve the desired colour.

As an example familiar to us both, the Canadian flag uses Pantone Red 032 C. If you have no way of inputting Pantone Red 032 C, there’s no way for the machine to guess that the red you want is Red 032 C. You’re not going to get that government contract (or get paid for it) if you can’t provide them Red 032 C.

Now, if you fluke out and pick Red 032 C out of the CMYK colour wheel, your HP printer will spit out Red 032 C as all standard Pantone designations are a subset of the CMYK colour spectrum, you’d have to compare with the Pantone booklet to make sure you got it right though, there are no guarantees with this approach.

Now, you *can( approximate your colours, in Gimp, and send it off elsewhere to get the colour correction and swatch-matching done, but they won’t be using Gimp to do that.

“Obviously a lot of photographers publish on the web these days so that is shifting with the sands of time.”

No, it isn’t a shift, and has nothing to do with the point I’m making. Stuff you see on the web is converted to 8-bit colour. The higher colour ranges are used in the production and processing process (think of it as the digital equivalent of the dark room when working in 35mm), not the publication process.

A lot of the more advanced techniques used in HDR photography, for example, will result in colour burn (flat swaths of a solid colour) when the processing is done on 8-bit source images.

Think of it as the photography analogue of recording and processing on 192,000hz raw waveform, and downsampling to 44,00hz mp3 or Ogg for distribution.

No photographer publishes their 16-bit RAW or 32-bit OpenHDR files, but rather downsampled post-processed jpegs. Just as I’m sure, you publish your prints and not your negatives.

“I bought my first 35mm SLR in 1965. Still have it kicking around somewhere.”

Ah, something we have in common, Mr. Pogs! My Canon FTb and Pentax K-1000 still see occasional use, the sizeable array of lenses bought for the latter over the years work nicely with my current Pentax DSLR (this is why Pentax > Nikon and Canon). My Minolta only comes out for special occasions.

” The damned thing still works but I haven’t developed a roll of film since ~2000. I used to have my own dark room. Anyone want to buy an ancient enlarger?”

Make and model? I may be interested, though I’ve sgifted to a mostly digital workflow, using a negative scanner for the stuff I still use 35mm for (still waiting on Pentax to go full-frame!).

“Even a smartphone takes decent pictures for use on the web”

“Students would take one lesson and be able to make fish grow, teeth whiten and hair tidy. I doubt they had ever heard of PS and certainly can live without it.”

You’ve been out of the game for quite some time, Pogs. It’s all about PS and Lightroom/Aperture in the land of academic and professional photography.

It’s similar to how if I’m snapping vacation photos or shots of a night out at the club, I’ll gladly snap away on the my iPhone. But if I’m doing serious _work_ it’s the DSLR and Photoshop. It’s not all about megapixels you know, you still need those lenses and those higher ASA/ISO and the variable shutter speed to go with it.

33. Dr Loser wrote, “I’d buy one and pave it over. FreeBSD comes to mind.”

The kernel of FreeBSD may or may not have drivers for random hardware in the retail space. */Linux is better supported by manufacturers. Do you know any manufacturer that writes drivers for their stuff on FreeBSD? They might do it for a commercially supported UNIX OS. Is FreeBSD that? Are there even enough FreeBSD kernel developers to translate the Linux drivers? I doubt that. Linux has thousands of developers from all over the globe with every line of hardware. The to and fro that makes the news from LKML is just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the code being written in Linux is for drivers. Isn’t FreeBSD the kernel mostly supported by enthusiasts?

It is a perfect source of low cost notebooks for GNU/Linux, though. Finally, notebooks without “the tax”.

34. WTB wrote, “Pantone (which CMYK support is useless without)”.

WTB also wrote, “If you’re a professional photographer, the lack of higher colour depths makes it useless for your workflow.”

Obviously a lot of photographers publish on the web these days so that is shifting with the sands of time. The last time I printed an image was for a government form. I can’t remember the previous time. Yet, I still am a professional photographer. Been taking photos seriously since the 1960s. I bought my first 35mm SLR in 1965. Still have it kicking around somewhere. The damned thing still works but I haven’t developed a roll of film since ~2000. I used to have my own dark room. Anyone want to buy an ancient enlarger? Now all I do is digital. Same for everyone I know. There are pictures that are worth using the clunky equipment for but my time is valuable. I’m getting old. Even a smartphone takes decent pictures for use on the web and GIMP is all anyone needs to massage them any way you want. I used to teach GIMP. Students would take one lesson and be able to make fish grow, teeth whiten and hair tidy. I doubt they had ever heard of PS and certainly can live without it.

35. Dr Loser says:

According to NPD, 175K Chromebooks have sold in 2013.

For the whole year? Wow.

Let’s assume every single one comes off the same production line in China or Korea or Vietnam or Malaysia or wherever.

Have you looked into the bulk economics of this? They don’t make sense.

36. Dr Loser says:

Also pretty much rubbish when you consider that the other 96.7% were not, in fact, ChromeBooks.

Me, I’d buy one and pave it over. FreeBSD comes to mind.

37. bw, operating under a delusion wrote, “That is the reason for the lackluster sales of chromebooks as well. “

Check out the retailers and schools moving units. There are millions selling this year and growing. Considering that sales of all kinds of legacy PCs are declining by double-digits %, that’s huge. It’s another cut in M$’s death by 1K cuts.

In USA, Chromebooks tooks 3.3% of the share of PCs in the 2013 back to school period. That’s pretty good considering the total market of desktop/notebook PCs declined 2.5% from 2012. There were also many going into schools the past year. According to NPD, 175K Chromebooks have sold in 2013.
    Bloomberg reports, “Chromebooks have in just the past eight months snagged 20 percent to 25 percent of the U.S. market for laptops that cost less than $300, according to NPD Group Inc. The devices, which have a full keyboard and get regular software updates from Google, are the fastest-growing part of the PC industry based on price, NPD said. “

Chromebooks have a role just as thin clients do and it’s not tiny.

38. bw wrote, “Maybe GIMP can do 90% or even more of PS tasks, but PS can do 100% of GIMP tasks”

That’s like saying everyone should drive gold-plated Cadillacs. It’s not true of cars and it’s not true of applications. People should use what they can afford and what works for them. Someone who mostly crops or rotates images for FaceBook doesn’t need PS. ImageMagick works for me. So does GIMP. I am retired and have no interest in paying Adobe every month for the use of my IT system. They probably would want to charge me multiple times for the fact that I can do any IT I want from a bunch of different seats in my home. I can compute using at least 5 PCs and two smartphones at the moment. What would Adobe charge for that? It’s a waste of my time even to figure that out. I can compute instead so I will.

39. dougman wrote, “I used GIMP for all my graphics, saved myself hundred of dollars.”

I find GIMP works well for many purposes but every now and then I have a bunch of 10 megapixel images which won’t even upload to a web-server and I like ImageMagick to convert them in a script. It just seems to me more natural, like mowing my lawn with a riding mower instead of scissors. I can actually increase the number of parallel processes to get it done even faster so that my RAID 1 array can prove its worth. Nothing prevents a GUI-application doing that but GIMP lacks the feature as far as I know. UPDATE Lo, there is a plugin for that…

40. William Tiberius Shatner says:

“bw little reality check there are features about gimp that PS cannot do.”

Care to provide examples?

“Maybe GIMP can do 90% or even more of PS tasks”

90% is being overly generous when talking about versions of Photoshop since version 4 (non-destructive editing, Pantone (which CMYK support is useless without), 16-bit colour depths, and large-format support are the big gaping holes that come to mind.

If you work in print, the lack of Pantone and to a lesser extent Hexachrome (which has not yet completely supplanted Pantone but will, it’s just a matter of time), makes it unusable.

The primitive state of non-destructive editing makes it largely useless for most if not all design workflows that are more advanced than simple web banners or photo touch-ups.

Though to be entirely fair, the fractal generator in Gimp is pretty nice (the flames plugin, iirc), but is a lesser version of Fractalis which has been available for PS for over a decade.

Gimp isn’t all bad though, I’d use it for my light editing needs if I didn’t already have an old copy of PS6 (which still boasts a more complete feature-set, including the above, despite the 8 1/2 PS releases since) sitting around.

41. Dr Loser says:

bw little reality check there are features about gimp that PS cannot do. So as normal you are over claiming.

Your total ignorance on every possible subject continues to astound, oiaohm.

Let’s start with non-destructive editing.

Can the GIMP do non-destructive editing?

It’s usually a requirement for professionals, you know.

LOL, BW doing his idiot dance again.

If something is 90% as good, as it’s competitor people will use it.

As for Chromebooks, not sure what they have to do with GIMP, as they fill a niche and are used extensively much to your chagrin, otherwise you would not have brought it up.

I used GIMP for all my graphics, saved myself hundred of dollars.

43. lpbbear says:

bLOwHARD spews more crap: “Actually there is. I don’t use PS for anything myself, but those who do, commercial artists and such, swear by it. Maybe GIMP can do 90% or even more of PS tasks, but PS can do 100% of GIMP tasks, so why would you change back and forth if you had PS? The obvious answer is that you would not.”

The obvious answer is that you don’t know jack sh*t about the subject and you’re just running off at the mouth…….as usual.

44. Deaf Spy says:

Which reality would that be, Mr. Ohio? Perhaps the reality in which Linux kernel can change the access mode to a file system without actually remounting it? That is indeed some little reality only you have.

The issue with gimp is some key features that make photoshop nice to use are missing. The plugin area of gimp does contain a lot of unique stuff.

46. bw says:

there’s no reason you can’t do everything else

That is the reason for the lackluster sales of chromebooks as well. Why have the inconvenience of a large notebook without 100% of the features? No reason at all in most people’s minds.