Two Teats On M$’s Cash-cow Dry Up

For decades, M$ used its levers to push businesses to upgrade their operating systems and office suites every few years. Many changed every three or four years under the pressure. Today, businesses have had enough. M$ is trying to milk the cow furiously by releasing more often and businesses, particularly large businesses, cannot keep up the pace even if they could afford it.
“Gartner suggested that one way to deal with the faster release cadence and the emphasis on Metro was to simply "hold up" by staying on the proven Windows 7. "Use the 10-year lifecycle of Windows 7/Office 2010 to standardize"”

see Enterprises will snub Microsoft's faster release tempo by sticking with Windows 7.

Do the maths. If those teats are worth about $4billion per quarter each and they slow down two or three times, M$’s client revenue from business is cut in half. I love it. In the remaining life of “7” and “2010” many will see that FLOSS and GNU/Linux cost them much less pain, time and money.

I’ve read that M$ is nailing its coffin shut from the inside. It’s true. The last few nails were Vista, “8”, and now forcing customers to run in ankle-deep mud to buy the next release.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Two Teats On M$’s Cash-cow Dry Up

1. ch says:

“Ahem! The house my wife and I built 23 years ago is still standing and solid.”
    Only because the iceberg is still 30 cm away …

2. ch wrote, ” toothpicks-and-cardboard): Why bother? It was never meant to last more than 10 years anyway ;-)”

Ahem! The house my wife and I built 23 years ago is still standing and solid. It has only one creak in a huge area of flooring. Recently renovated, it should withstand several generations of families. There are many thousands of homes in Winnipeg built ~1920 that are very solid. They get their plumbing and wiring updated every 50 years or so and they still serve families well. My family built a house in 1905 of toothpicks that is still solid. It’s the climate… Being drier than some places, wood lasts much longer. Being colder than some places they are well insulated and heated. Constant temperatures inside with regulated humidity is a recipe for durability. We also experience very few tornadoes and other destructive events. I think my province gets ~10 tornadoes per annum and they are spread over a triangle 300 miles on a side. In my lifetime the closest I have been to an active tornado in my province was about 10 miles and all it did was clip a few roofs and treetops.

I once destroyed a house built of toothpicks that was ~50 years old but old-fashioned and tiny. It took two men with hand tools three days to bring it down to ground-level. We salvaged much lumber and beautiful maple flooring in excellent condition, still quite usable except for a few nail-holes. I built many bird-houses with it. People do know how to build durable homes that are light and tight. It’s all about triangles. Every nail driven into a board or panel creates another rigid triangular structure. Modern houses are built nearly air-tight with automatically controlled humidity and ventilation. They are very durable despite being a fraction of the cost and mass of older styles. They are also easily customized/refurbished.

ch that is correct if facing a quality product the Iceberg might not be a threat. Microsoft has not been putting out a long lasting product.

Yes the iceberg model also allows for other effects on the iceberg progress.

4. ch says:

“Its like a huge iceberg moving a 10cm a year to a house 1 meter away. Yes the iceberg does not look to be moving but house still will be crushed.”

If the house is built to German Standards, my money is on the house: 11 years is a loooong time for an iceberg to melt …

And if the the house is built American style (AKA toothpicks-and-cardboard): Why bother? It was never meant to last more than 10 years anyway 😉

There is a old joke about Linux. Its like a huge iceberg moving a 10cm a year to a house 1 meter away. Yes the iceberg does not look to be moving but house still will be crushed.

bw you are not allowing on the bone effect. Users are getting use to Applications being cheaper.

Remember Microsoft is having to sell MS Office on Android.

The lion share argument was using by Unix vendors against Linux in 1994.

Really we are not sure how much luster is gone from the PC market.

bw of course the prediction is that enterprise is staying put. Problem here is staying putting and Migrating to Linux would from a money side look identical.

Linux migrations are very long timeframe.

Like you with brazil migration off exchange now. That was started about 6 years ago.

10 years life of Windows 7 is enough time to migrate away.

Yes Microsoft is trying to shorten for a reason not a good reason.

7. bw says:

You must have missed the part where it says “The alternative to standardizing on Windows 7, said Silver, was to keep up with Microsoft’s quickened release tempo.“. Doesn’t say anyone should go crazy and use Linux or any other office product.

Mox nix to Microsoft, I think. They will continue to evolve Windows and charge a license fee for new installs that includes a downgrade right as they did for XP for years and years. The commercial market for PC hardware and software has not been in sync with the retail, personal use market for quite a while now. The consumer business has shifted to include phones and tablet and that has taken some of the luster off of the traditional PC segment, but it remains a very large market and a huge source of profits regardless.

Microsoft sells mostly software and the software sold in the phone and tablet arena doesn’t generate much revenue. Apps are mostly free and the pay-for stuff is only a couple of bucks. The bone with the most meat on it is still the PC and Microsoft still has the lion’s share of that.