Developers! Developers! Developers! Let’s Run Them Over With This Bus

Chuckle. M$, which rode to power on the backs of developers and OEMs and retailers, is kicking them all as if those slaves were masochists. The latest beating is the release of “8.1” to OEMs but not to developers, even the most loyal developers who will immediately have problems supporting their software when OEMs ship “8.1”.

“Honestly, if you develop software for Normal Windows, Metro-style Windows, or Windows Phone at the moment, you might as well just give up. No other firm has the gall to behave like this in our industry. The approach is tremendously disrespectful to Microsoft’s software development partners.
Every single operating system vendor gives early sight of releases. You may need to sign-up for some yearly program, but Apple, Google, BlackBerry, they all do it. They have always done it. Only Microsoft is stopping.”

see Now all Windows developers have been thrown under the bus.

There’s one thing that’s sure about watching a train-wreck. It’s hard to look away even as blood is being shed. M$ is even giving us replays. I suspect this is all about the “end days” of empire with everyone trying to maintain semblance of good order while fighting over scraps of food.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Developers! Developers! Developers! Let’s Run Them Over With This Bus

1. bw says:

So if you do actually believe that these “slaves” of Microsoft are likely to be miserable once freed, how can you live with yourself for being so deliberately trying to so afflict them by acting to hurry Microsoft’s demise? Seems rather cruel.

2. bw wrote, ” I think you pulled that one out of thin air or somewhere less pleasant.”

Stockholm Syndrome may develop in a few days or weeks. Imagine what years of slavery can do…
    “Stockholm syndrome, or capture–bonding, is a psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and sympathy and have positive feelings toward their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness. The FBI’s Hostage Barricade Database System shows that roughly 27% of victims show evidence of Stockholm syndrome.”

There were remnants of this phenomenon in USA a century after “emancipation”: “In the case of freed slaves of the Unites States, many became share croppers and indentured servants. In this manner, some became tied to the very parcel of land into which they had been born a slave having little freedom or economic opportunity due to Jim Crow laws which perpetuated discrimination, limited education, promoted persecution without due process and resulted in continued poverty. Fear of reprisals such as injust incarcerations and lynchings deterred upward mobility,further.
    In 1984 Waldorf, Maryland, indentured servants whom were descendants of slaves still lived on the same farms that their ancestors were forced to work. They lived in one room shacks with peg floors which did not provide a barrier to worms, vermin or insects. A bit of rubbish wood or cloth would seal the doorway. There weren’t any glass windows. There wasn’t any plumbing, electricity or modern convenience.”

I’ve seen similar things in northern Canada where aboriginal people live in absolute poverty in a modern country full of opportunity. There is an inter-generational apathy concerning ambition or planning for a better future.

3. bw says:

Many slaves feel lost when freed from bondage

That seems rather audacious, even for yourself. I think you pulled that one out of thin air or somewhere less pleasant.

In any case it would seem to me that your avowed purpose here is to erase the Microsoft tyranny and thereby release all these slaves. If you believe that this will make them miserable, then you can only be termed a coldhearted psychopath.

Somehow, I do not think that is really your style and you have simply failed to notice the adverse effect of throwing doughman a bone.

4. dougman wrote, “Funny reading the M$ losers whining about how they have been screwed…”

Yep. Many slaves feel lost when freed from bondage. Imagine paying the slavemaster $thousands to be a slave and then being cast off, purposeless…

Here is reason why one should never get any sort of M$ certification: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/31/microsoft_cans_three_pinnacle_certifications_sparking_user_fury/

Funny reading the M$ losers whining about how they have been screwed, but eh….thats what you get for dealing with something that could care less about its developers and such.

Join Linux and develop for everyone. 🙂

Yonah, a Chinese M$ loving fan-boy, rants and raves about upgrading to Windows 8, but in the same breath mentions that his Android phone connects just fine. The low-cost paid for upgrade was namely due to curb pirating, which sadly to say will NOT go away.

Perhaps you should try Red Flag: http://www.redflag-linux.com/

“During a brief standoff with Microsoft in January 2000 in a year-long series of increasing tensions believed to have been tied to Microsoft’s perceived mismanagement of its Microsoft Venus venture, Chinese government ministries were ordered to uninstall Windows 2000 from their computers in favor of Red Flag Linux.” LOL.. I just read about this in the book, “Leaving Microsoft to Change the World” by John Wood.

Bill Gates said one time, that if people are going to pirate, he would prefer that pirate Windows and that they would collect on the users addiction later down the road.

Windows 8 makes as much sense as this commerical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoCg36Pf0J8

I think they are trying to convey in that commercial that by using Windows 8, you can do things MUCH faster, so touch is faster now than type? Ok….if you wanna believe that.

Today, I read that Windows 8.1 and China won’t rescue falling PC sales.

“IDC now predicts that global PC shipments will fall by 9.7% in 2013, far more than the 1.3% predicted in March and worse than the revised 8% figure given in May.”

I also read a report on the problems still facing Windows 8.1, thoroughly summarised below:

Here’s a quick rundown of the problems:

Smart Search slithers: It’s Smart for Microsoft marketing but not for you. Smart Search — the single greatest privacy-busting feature Windows has ever spawned — is enabled by default on installation. Smart Search sends every search term you type for local, on-your-computer-or-network searches to that big Bing engine, for collecting, collating, and enhancing your shopping experience.

Local accounts crumble: It’s still almost impossible to install Windows 8.1 from the distribution ISO with a local account. Microsoft tries over and over again to force you to use, or sign up for, a Microsoft account. The only way to install with a local account requires you to enter a bogus email address — you’re supposed to know this by osmosis, as there are no instructions — and you’re finally given the option to install with a local account. Of course, if you upgrade through the Microsoft Store, Microsoft already has your account information (that’s the only way to get into the Store), so this is a non-issue.

Libraries lynched: The old Windows 7 and Windows 8 libraries aren’t built by default, and they’re hidden in the new File Explorer. Microsoft wants you to use SkyDrive (legally, the name ‘SkyDrive’ cannot be used anymore, M$ lost the rights to its use in a court action), so it’s made libraries very hard to discover. It’s even hard for most customers to find their Public folders. Ka-ching. And the ultimate insult: if you elect to install SkyDrive (“recommended”), your Documents library is set up so anything stored in the Documents library automatically gets shunted to SkyDrive.

Backup and Restore Center gone: If you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 backups created using the Windows Backup and Restore Center, you’re going to have a jolly good time trying to restore them with Windows 8.1. System Restore points aren’t created until you figure out how and where to turn them on. (On Metro Start, type restore, click Create Restore Point, select the drive you want to enable, click Configure, select Turn on System Protection, OK twice — that was easy, wasn’t it?)

Who has the tiles? I wonder how many Windows customers will guess that their newly installed “legacy” apps (er, old-fashioned Windows programs, like Office) now get their live tiles stuck on the All Apps screen. Unless the installer sticks a shortcut on the old-fashioned desktop or on the Taskbar, getting those programs launched involves a trip through a largely unused part of the Metro UI. They aren’t on that wonderfully fast and fluid Start screen (now available with moving swirls!). Expect lots of confusion.

More bygones: Windows Experience Index is gone. The connections to Facebook and Flickr in the Metro Photos app are gone. Sic transit gloria. Windows Easy Transfer lets you bring data in, but won’t let you push data out.

“Windows 8.1 includes a Start Menu.” SURE……If you’ve been following along, you know very well that there’s no Start menu in Windows 8.x — never has been, never will be. In its place, in Windows 8.1, we get a Start button, which doesn’t do much except propel you over to the Metro Start menu or let you shut down.

The ONLY way to get a start menu back, is to purchase additional software, to MAKE the software you JUST purchased work. Hmmmm……….makes perfect sense.

Yonah I was thinking about the dust level in china. Oil from human skin(ie what makes finger prints) nicely makes more dirt glue on.

Touch screen used as touch all the time are fine as the fingers going over it all the time act as a cleaner. The problem comes PC usage where you are not always running you fingers over it. Yes I work in dusty areas of Australia you end up using a stylist all the time as it extends the time between needing to clean screens.

8. Yonah wrote, “What’s interesting is that the Windows 8 box and DVDs are counterfeit. There are numerous spelling mistakes and missing spaces on the box and included paperwork, plus the holograms on the DVDs are stickers, not embedded into the disc as they should be. Yet the OEM product key sticker was legit.”

So, a user of that other OS needs a lawyer etc. just to figure out the licensing. Give me FLOSS any day with its included licence permitting running, examining, modification and distribution. None of that junk required. A consumer has no way of knowing whether or not the junk for M$’s stuff is legitimate or not. A legal copy of software can include spelling mistakes if the copying is done by a human with a keyboard. A big problem for M$ is that humans are involved in their chain of distributors. For ages now a user of GNU/Linux has often been able to verify the codes he uses with md5sums and such.

9. Yonah says:

Windows 8 cost me 280 Yuan (46 USD), which is equal to four and a half packs of cigarettes. I spend more than that on food every week between groceries and dining out. The upgrade was long overdue for me as my PC came with the 32-bit Chinese language version of Windows 7 Home Edition. Coincidently, some new machines I checked out at the same retailer I bought my PC from are selling machines with Windows 8, but still the 32-bit version. Chances are they just don’t know the difference.

What’s interesting is that the Windows 8 box and DVDs are counterfeit. There are numerous spelling mistakes and missing spaces on the box and included paperwork, plus the holograms on the DVDs are stickers, not embedded into the disc as they should be. Yet the OEM product key sticker was legit. I installed Windows 8, changed the product key, and it activated with no problem. I gained a performance boost with Windows 8, even if just from the switch to 64-bit. I’m particularly impressed with 2D drawing performance improvements. Here’s a benchmark: http://i44.tinypic.com/2w53kmw.png

I’m not worried about fingerprints. I never get headaches anyway and regularly clean my screen anyway because China tends to be quite dusty as it is.

Yonah think twice about touch screen. Longer time frame using screen more finger prints on it become a problem for causing blur resulting in headaches. Yes the touch pad on table and screen for viewing is one of the best combinations.

11. ram says:

Absolutely no doubt about it, Linux has a vastly larger development community than that for Microsoft. Microsoft’s continual deviation from published open standards is a big part of the reason. The number of machines that use standard computer languages was always going to be vastly greater than the ones the used a proprietary deviation. Hence the much greater number of developers experienced in standard programming languages.

IBM painfully learned this lesson in the 1970s. Microsoft is learning it now – but Microsoft is especially screwed since it doesn’t manufacture hardware – the only thing that saved IBM.

12. bw says:

I didn’t see that as being an upgrade to an existing PC myself. Rather I took it as he just purchased a shiny new machine that came with Win8. He will have to say one way or the other.

I did, however, replace Win7 with Win8 on three existing computers myself. They had Windows 7 Home and the Microsoft upgrade offer was to Windows 8 Pro which has some added features that I wanted. I was teetering on the edge of updating my desktop to Windows 7 Pro already, and the multiple copies of Win 8 Pro at $39 each was an equivalent expense. Even then, it was no more expensive than two weeks worth of lunches at the office or two tanks of gas or an anniversary dinner at Ruth’s Chris. That is not really a “bunch of money” in any case. What must you think of those who still smoke at $6-7 per pack?

13. Yonah wrote about migrating to “8”…

I am amazed that folks are happy to spend a bunch of money just to continue using their old PC. Isn’t the price/performance ratio infinite (division by zero)? Before he had a working PC. Afterwards he is overjoyed that he still has a working PC… <:|

14. Yonah says:

No one wants their crap, you say? Hate to disappoint you, dougman, but I just migrated to Windows 8 just 2 days ago. No way I’ll go back to Windows 7. Start menu? Don’t miss it. Only took a few minutes to customize the Start Screen how I like. Everything clean and organized. I now consider it far superior to the old Start Menu. All hardware recognized, wireless adapter included. Only needed to update the Nvidia driver for maximum performance and I like Nvidia’s control panel. Only Metro app I downloaded so far was Skype. I don’t use Skype often, but I actually like the simplified Metro version better. Plugged in my Android phone for the first time. Bam! Recognized and ready to open in 3 seconds. All I need now is a touch-screen monitor and I’ll start to feel like I’m on Star Trek!

I’ll give Linux another spin once Wayland becomes standard and brings Linux up to 2006 standards.

bw commercial software also includes FOSS. Yes there is how to make money considers by all.

There are complaints coming out of the MS Windows developer camps. Some comes from the fact commercial developers are getting use Android where they are allowed to look under the hood to work out why there programs are doing strange things.

16. bw says:

Perhaps those sorts of thoughts comfort you at night and make it easy to fall asleep and dream of a better tomorrow, but they are just figments of an uninformed imagination.

Perhaps somewhere there are program developers who just code willy-nilly with no idea of who might buy their wares and why, but they are never around for very long. Commercial software focuses on the needs of its customers. It is sold to people who understand what they are getting and what benefits are going to come their way from its use. It is not predicated on merely being compatible with some OS or another.

There is no real conflict between Win8 and Win8.1 in terms of how a Windows App Store or other sort of Windows API compatible program operates, The differences are solely in the way a user goes about running things.

The Windows developers are not dismayed by the actions of Microsoft. You are only imagining things that you wish for and you are bound to be disappointed once again.

Ahhh Monkey Boy…remember that egg toss incident?

Now you to, can participate! http://www.egg-attack.com/

18. Kevin Lynch says:

Well they tried blaming OEMs and that didn’t wash. It can’t be Ballmer’s fault. He’s “retiring”.

So, M$ is blaming developers for the unreceptive acceptance of Windows 8? LOL……

See, M$ never looks in the mirror long to accept the fact, that #1, they have become irrelevant and #2, no one wants their crap.