Dearest MrPogson.com readership,

In my region there are two dominating ISPs. After one blew up my bill without notification due to expiration of the promo they enlisted me with, I went to the other. On the night a final assignment for my 3rd year of university was due, the new ISP cut off my connection after their Honey Pot detected a Net Worm (so ludicrious. Imagine my jubilee at having completed revisions to this bloody monster [15 pages of research, 10 references! It was good, and cost a chunk of my wellbeing] over weeks. I was completing an e-mail to the professor, cursor on the send button – and found I had to call tech support for assistance…). This was not 1 week since the new ISP installed their modem (which may be key and oversight on my part, but I’m ignorant to the worlds of network security and IT, really).

I spent a week on and off the phone with the ISP’s tech support using their recommended virus scanner on my Windows XP machine until they told me I’d best take it to a technician.

Being a broke university student who couldn’t afford a technician’s fee, a client of this new ISP’s (and hardly servile at that), and with no other ISP options due to the grand monopolization of the region and who knows, maybe price fixing, I looked to my father and brother for advice. Brother recommended reinstalling Windows XP. Father recommended Debian GNU/Linux.

And so it was. I didn’t want to deal with virus scanners and paying heed to time allocated to ensuring my shit was safe, so I went Father’s way with a free disk from Brother.

The first few times I ran Ubuntu GNU/Linux (my brother deviated from Debian), the new ISP couldn’t give me a connection, leaving me to call their tech people yet-a-friggin’-gain. Since I changed network names and passwords, there’ve been no issues in that regard, though I am still using their provided modem.

My major concern about this new OS was being able to get at file formats that compose the bulk of my written academic materials (documents, powerpoints, whatever), as well as writing programs. Microsoft Office and their constant revisions and incompatibilities in terms of attachments (you know, teach is using Microsoft Word 97 and it can’t be read well by my machine’s version on XP, and I have to piddle about figuring out how to view this bloody document/slideshow, for example) gave me grief that I couldn’t afford, given various deadline pressures and lack of sufficient coping skills. LibreOffice is sweet like ice cream and has been able to open every academia-related attachment I’ve received thus far!

I am happy. I was among the blind, but now I see. There were many pop-ups and update recommendations and videos I couldn’t stream and poor task management and limited realms of options on my old OS that robbed me of my precious time on the ‘puter from productive work and/or my highly valued, unreclaimable time spent on leisurely exploits (here’s hollering at you, Neopets!). Never again with that MS OS hooplah. My station is elevated – I am a part of the cloud now!

Most Sincerely,

Sarah Pogson

[Potential titles:
Ubuntu Convert’s Testimonial; she offered to write it, okay?! I didn’t ask!

One Window Successfully Shut; budding authouress Daughter Sarah’s voluntary testimonial]

This entry was posted in Teaching, technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to One Window Successfully Shut; budding authouress Daughter Sarah’s voluntary testimonial

1. Maou Sadao wrote, “Fixing it upstream? It’s your damn fault.”

No, it’s not. I had to edit several files to fix the problems with HTML. I did not create those files but because it’s FLOSS I can and did fix them. There were a couple of typos and a duplicated section of code, nothing very serious but now the page validates.

2. Maou Sadao says:

Fixing it upstream? It’s your damn fault. The average WordPress site does not throw 119 errors like yours does. W3C’s validation service even gives you a hint: look for a missing tag.

It’s amateur hour again at Mr. Pogson.

3. Clearly the site is not HTML5 compliant. I changed a bit of it but it’s not my job to update WP. The upstream boys will handle that. The validator is down 1 error now… There was a typo, /li was given as /a in one file in the new theme. The rest will wait for another day. My template for quotations was font color= and that’s not HTML5 so I changed that. I could probably script fixing that in a couple of years of posts but the defect merely causes some colorless quotations so I probably won’t bother reversing them.

4. William Tiberius Shatner says:

“dougman wrote, “If you are really effective at what you do, 95% of the things said about you will be negative.”

If that’s what you tell yourself, you either work in an overly hostile, crappy environment, or you’re just not as good at what you do as you may think.

Where I come from, rock star moves are met with recognition, and similarly bungles are met with appropriate scorn.

5. William Tiberius Shatner says:

Pogs, both your CSS and HTML are broken. As a general rule, one generally ensures that the code/markup itself validates before blaming external factors.

Given that your markup is horribly broken, blaming not the browser or its rendering engine, but rather the underlying OS is silly and without basis. The way markup works, is you tell the browser what to render and how, and the rendering engine then does it’s magic based on the instructions you feed it. All major cross-platform browsers in current use embed the same rendering engine on all platforms.

You’re effectively arguing that it’s the OS’ fault that you can’t code. Think about that.

Once again, you may want to take a look at: your broken css and broken HTML

Have a nice day <3

6. Maou Sadao wrote, “Google Chrome in the same version you use.

Don’t shoot the messenger.”

If it’s the same version of the browser, it should behave the same for you as for me unless it’s the OS that’s screwing it up somehow.

How does Chrome know to mess up your screen and not mine?

I’ve even logged out and copied/pasted as a normal netizen. No difference. Perhaps you have overidden the site’s CSS in your browser settings.

7. Maou Sadao says:

@Mr. Pogson:

I purport nothing. I have provided two screenshots which clearly show that somethings is off. And the browser in those screenshots is — can you believe it? — Google Chrome in the same version you use.

Don’t shoot the messenger.

8. dougman wrote, “If you are really effective at what you do, 95% of the things said about you will be negative.”

There’s something wrong with that statement. I think it assumes negative people are somehow more dedicated to speaking. I think the vast majority of people are not like that and they do speak. e.g. Look at Mandela, a convicted criminal/terrorist, who spent decades in jail for his crimes. There’s hardly a bad word spoken about the man because he’s done a lot of good for his country and mankind. Look at Einstein, an immigrant to USA, of all things, treated like the crown jewels because he wrote a treatise a century ago and a letter to the president of the USA recommending building “the bomb”. Some would consider him the embodiment of evil for advancing the Nuclear Age, yet he is the iconic “smart person”.

Perhaps time is the filter. In the short term the negative types may be motivated to sling mud but they have no long-term purpose in life or reason to persist.

dougman wrote, “It’s rather asinine that the haters here assume that anyone using Windows XP these days are poor in some manner.”

That’s also very funny if you juxtapose such positions against all the ads/campaigns of M$ and “partners” promoting it. One thing those can do well is stell junk and make it seem wonderful, worth another round of licensing fees to M$… Their argument essentially is that a human being unwilling to support M$ in the manner to which it has become accustomed is a deadbeat as if the world owed M$ a living. That’s sad and ridiculous as a philosophy of life. In the real world good humans help themselves and others for little thanks from anyone.

It’s rather asinine that the haters here assume that anyone using Windows XP these days are poor in some manner. Some of my clientele still use XP, some I converted over to Linux, some to Windows 7 and some to thin clients.

On my website I have a counter that states, “On April 8, 2014, security patches and hotfixes for all versions of Windows XP will no longer be available. So PC’s running Windows XP will be vulnerable to security threats.”

Windows XP, is still a viable OS that receives updates from M$, but when I show someone the beauty of Linux or a $250 Chromebook they are ecstatic. Why?…they did know that the general cost of IT has dropped so much in the past 10+ years. Uhhh… Moores Law in action.

Regarding anti-virus, for anyone running a Windows machine I always recommend the use of ESET NOD32 in conjunction with HitManPro, that they purchase themselves. I do NOT markup software nor hardware, like the some places I know, namely the “Goon Squad” Once I touch an IT asset its good for the year, and if some has an issue with it or thinks my services or in some way lacking, I offer a 90-day money-back guarantee.

Recently, I just received an IM from a customer that had this to say, “Great. W8 just told me that it’s going to reboot in 30 seconds like it or not. No way to delay or cancel. That really…. *Rebooot* ….annoyed the snot out of me.”

Correct: one cannot remedy trolls, haters going to hate successful people. Here are some good rules that are used by Tim Ferris.

1. It doesn’t matter how many people don’t get it. What matters is how many people do.

2. 10% of people will find a way to take anything personally. Expect it.

3. Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity.

4. If you are really effective at what you do, 95% of the things said about you will be negative.

5, If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid.

6. Living well is the best revenge.

7. Keep calm and carry on.

10. bw, trying to rewrite the story, wrote, “If an offspring is sent off to college in the year of Our Lord 2013 with an XP computer, one is left to wonder what sort of other personal effects are being provided.”

No one “sent” our offspring to college. She is an adult with her own family, dwelling and career-plan, attending a professional faculty. She is not a computer-geek and the machine may well have been running “7” or Vista for all I know. I don’t think I ever saw it working. There is nothing wrong with XP when it works, except that it’s non-Free software with a restrictive EULA. Her whole point is that XP quit working for her. Whether or not a consumer has the latest product from M$ is irrelevant to anything that matters. Consumers don’t want products that die early because M$ wants to sell more licences. That’s a sick concept. She is discovering the blessings of Free Software with no interference from me. All my son did was provide her an installation CD. She did most of the installation on her own and took the machine home to use successfully.

11. Maou Sadao wrote, “I have proven to you that your CSS is screwed up.”

No. You have not. You purport to show that on some browser somewhere, CSS is not working. How do other browsers seem to get it right? I have reports from several users with several other browsers reporting no problem. Are they wrong? The simplest answer is that either MS is wrong or some browser has a bug. I am using a current version of Chrome

Google Chrome 27.0.1453.110 (Official Build 202711)
    OS Linux

and have no problem like that. How does Chrome figure out the mistakes in my CSS?

12. Maou Sadao says:

“Proving anything to trolls is impossible.”

You’re right. I have proven to you that your CSS is screwed up. And yet you ignore it because it supposedly “works” for you.

13. bw says:

There must be a rather remarkable backstory here. If an offspring is sent off to college in the year of Our Lord 2013 with an XP computer, one is left to wonder what sort of other personal effects are being provided. Home-sewn clothing made from feed sacks? Sandals crafted from worn out tire casings?

It seems to me that a family who sets a new riding lawn mower at a higher priority than essential tools for their daughter’s education has not properly considered all their financial issues. If the faculty at the university is using Office 97, they, too, are acting rather backwardly and perhaps some thought should be given to finding a better institution that may have a more useful curriculum.

One can only wonder.

14. Maou Sadao wrote, Claiming things and not providing proof is one of your specialties.”

Proving anything to trolls is impossible. If they can’t find any FUD they will attack the messenger or change the topic. My daughter is an idealistic young person. That she is not expert at IT is not a fault. It is part of the normal human condition and something a good OS should allow for by providing reasonable security. Instead, XP and other offerings of M$ provide one trap after another so that the “PC breaks” and consumers are pressured to buy another or pay to have the old one “fixed” (reset to break another day). OTOH, my daughter can use GNU/Linux for many years with no problems.

15. Maou Sadao says:

Potential title:

University student voluntarily thrashes her computer

Why didn’t I get any viruses and stuff with Windows XP? Why didn’t my totally tech-illiterate father get any viruses and stuff with Windows XP?
    Why are 15 pages of research with 10 references something to write home about? This was expected of us in the first year of university.

Also, Mr. Pogson, can you ask your daughter to provide clarification on this sentence: “There were many pop-ups and update recommendations and videos I couldn’t stream and poor task management and limited realms of options on my old OS […]”?

As it stands, that’s just a throw-away sentence alluding to imaginary Windows “defects” which are all left unexplained. It seems you have taught your daughter well. Claiming things and not providing proof is one of your specialties.

16. Bettina Zielinski says:

Wow – Father Robert showed you the light and it was GOOD! He must be so proud.