Government Doing the Right Thing, Switching to LibreOffice

“The switch by the Italian region of Umbria to the free and open source office suite LibreOffice is one of ten award winners at this year’s Forum PA conference on 30 May. "Its achievements include the realisation of significant cost savings, increasing the efficiency of document management and, by using open document formats, ensuring interoperability", Forum PA announced.”
see Award for Italy's Umbria region's switch to LibreOffice.

see also, LibreUmbria

My experience in schools was similar. It is foolish to throw tons of money at M$ for an office suite when one can use LibreOffice for little more than the effort of installation. In knowledge businesses like education, an office suite may be one of the basic tools of communication, collaboration and presentation. So many organizations are locked into M$’s web-browser or office suite when there are plenty of good alternatives. Without that lock-in there is no need for M$’s OS so the savings resulting from migration are compounded. Governments can more easily migrate to GNU/Linux when there’s no use of M$’s office suite or browser. Then there is proper support of open standards which M$ lacked for many years creating a backlog of garbage that burdens governments with being slaves of M$ forever. That’s not silly. That’s wrong.

I make use of LibreOffice for creating documents and analyzing information I find on the web. Here it is at work…
LibreOffice at work

This entry was posted in Linux in Education, technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Government Doing the Right Thing, Switching to LibreOffice

1. This is great news, Robert. I am glad that this Italian government opted for the open document format, which opens competition to all software competitors, not just Microsoft. Also an install base of 6,000 is sound progress.

bw
    –I think they got the idea from Red Hat and it finally took hold when they saw what Canonical was doing.–
    Maybe they did. But there is a big difference. Even Canonical has forks that people can take in case they cannot pay. Also Canonical and Redhat both you can end subscription and still have the software to access your data up until that point.

What Redhat and Canonical is not renting software. Its support access.

3. bw says:

“This type of business model benefits M$ solely, and gives them steady income of revenue”

4. Maou Sadao says:

Fix your website, douggie boy. And perhaps you should just stop selling your customers Hitman Pro subscriptions.

Office 365 service is so good, even the Office 365 Team doesn’t use it, they used Google docs in their apology: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1gz_u_A1SCNdPEwk1w3OwM_TKVOblh88ltO3YpZ_h2lY

if you like ‘leasing/renting’ your software, then by all means go for it. Whether one wants to or not, a person would have to pay in order to continue to use the software. This type of business model benefits M$ solely, and gives them steady income of revenue.

6. Quibbly says:

And just out of interest, you can easily pick up MS Office 365 for a single user license (I understand that it includes a local license for your PC too) at the noxioiusly quoted $99.95.

Not sure where this $200-$400 comes from. Surely $99.95 is quite enough to put people off?

Sadly, it ain’t.

Go out there, Doug! Go, my Man! Proselyize!

But don’t forget to mark up those $45 web-cams, will you? It’s the bread and butter of a snake-oil salesman.

We here on the Pog Blog salute you!

7. Maou Sadao says:

Dougman is a renowned WordPress expert. Just like Mr. Pogson and his “world class” PHP programmer.

BTW, validating Jet Computing throws 28 errors. Someone is not standards-compliant. But I’m sure it’s WordPress’ fault.

8. bw says:

“Want Web design tools? There’s one I forget that costs about $60”

But can you use it for big jobs like this?

9. Maou Sadao says:

“LibreOffice is just good enough for home use and SMB’s, I reckon to say most businesses as well.”

I recommend pen and paper. Always good enough. If you’re bored you can even play Sudoku or draw little flipbook animations.

10. Quibbly says:

I hate to quibble, Mr Dougman, but it seems to me that if you have a small start-up and you can’t afford $200-$400 per licence for something that works and can actually be understood immediately by all oif the people you sell your business to, then you don’t really have much of a business proposition at all, do you?

I mean, you could save that $200-$400 and spend it on something more useful for a small start-up. Like, I don’t know. Oh, wait, I do.

I strongly recommend Komodo, which is a platform neutral IDE for Web languages. It’s terrific. It costs $200 or so.

Want Web design tools? There’s one I forget that costs about $60.

See, the thing here is that your typical SMB will pay for results.

Try as you might, and you seem to be doing very well at this, they won’t pay a premium for $45 web-cams with a dubious history.

That was the last bit of snake-oil you were last heard of selling, wasn’t it?

No one uses all the features piled into M$ Office suite, so save yourself some money.

Seriously, $200 – $400 per license? If you have a small startup, thats a lot of money just to create documents.

LibreOffice is easy to upgrade, 2-3 mins and your done:

sudo apt-get remove –purge libreoffice* (Must be done from / directory)

sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo dpkg -i *.deb && cd desktop-integration && sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Linux is just awesome and here to stay, much to the chagrin of those that would wish it away.

There will come a time, which will be the direct result of BYOD in today’s businesses, whereby people will bring their own software and hardware getting their work done, totally bypassing the enraged IT dropout and giving the waving goodbye to M$ Windows for good.