Yesterday, having caught up with my seeding, I did other things for my land. I finally got around to fixing the old mower’s deck. The mounting bolts I thought were rounded off were actually coated with grass-juice… I sharpened the blades to increase efficiency. They weren’t as bad as I thought despite hitting so many rocks on my property last year.
Some things were wrecked however. When I went to remount the deck, I discovered that two bolts were missing that supported the deck on one side. I guess the abuse last year loosened the bolts. As I did not have any replacements I did a bit of welding to secure the mount. I also straightened a strut that was bent.
I took it out for a spin and whacked off the first dandelions and the grass itself. This is the first spring after planting from seed. In places the grass is already perfect, lush and dense. A few spots with poor soil or low snow-cover have a lot of growing to do. The thing I liked most is that the quackgrass has really been set back. Large portions of the lawn have none despite a general infection two years ago. Quackgrass hates regular mowing and perennial rye grass just gets bushier.
There are a few places I need to level a bit as the land settled in an irregular fashion after planting and in the drought last year. I need to do a bit of rake and wheelbarrow work. The damned berms are a bigger problem. The dandelions love them and the little woman still has planted nothing there. I am temped to turn them into a paradise for rabbits by planting them over with wild roses… 🙁