Finally! Lightworks Runs On Debian GNU/Linux

Lightworks, newly released to the public as a beta for GNU/Linux depended heavily on the latest packages in Ubuntu GNU/Linux and needed a lot of fiddling to install on Debian GNU/Linux. Recently new libraries were added to Debian Sid (experimental) that makes it possible:

To a minimal installation of Debian Wheezy (I cleared all options in tasksel, but whatever you have will work.)
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list changing wheezy to sid everywhere.

apt-get update
apt-get install apt
apt-get dist-upgrade
dpkg -i lwks (Lightworks .deb file)
If you need an xserver add
apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-whatever... (I used "SSH -Y machine lightworks" from my usual client)

Screenshot_starting

I had a couple of problems. My super strong password wouldn’t work. It doesn’t like lots of symbols… It crashed just idling. There is a memory management problem. Little by little the bugs will be sorted out and this will be a fine video editor for GNU/Linux.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Finally! Lightworks Runs On Debian GNU/Linux

Ted I have had a C920 fail under Windows 7. I do know the cause as well. Another camera had installed a third party UVC webcam driver that was not fully UVC compatible. Yes windows might have third party driver support. The non uniform driver production also brings some pain.

More and more parts are done to standards so not requiring unique drivers any more. But some of the left over unique driver stuff is a major pain in but.

2. Ted says:

@Dougman.

Your link has nothing to do with webcams, by the way. It’s for mice. And only for mice – Logitech’s site has no mention of Linux on their webcam pages.

“Tried it on a client’s Windows 7 box, and it had to install drivers, then reboot, then install some more files for whatever reason then reboot once more.”

Your experience differs to mine with a C920 and Windows 7, then. Plugged in, driver installed automatically, camera worked. Reboots = zero. Same for any machine I’ve tried that webcam on.

“At the other end of the camera spectrum, check out Black Magic Design’s latest Linux compatible cameras. Professional 4K starting around 1 k$.”

$1K for 4K?? No. That’s their pocket cinema camera, which shoots 1080p, not 4K.

The 4K cameras start just short of $4K (convenient!) but that’s just the camera body. You’d then have to figure in lenses, mounts, memory cards etc. You’d be looking at 10K without trying too hard.

3. ram says:

4. dougman wrote, “Logitech is seeing the light, who needs windows and gates, when you can enjoy freedom.”

That is good news. I remember having to check hardware compatibility before buying webcams. It was tough. Now it’s easy. Thanks, Logitech.

Maou Sadao really you did not think that threw.

Lightworks is a live multi camera editing suite.

Note the word kinda important. Webcam usage can be for close up and areas where the camera could be destroyed.

Maou Sadao just to be shocking some of those usb web cams can in fact do full 1080P. Just does not have the best focus and control systems. Logitech HD Webcam C615 is 1080P. Logitech C525 webcam is only 720P good enough for picture in picture. Both of those work with Linux.

Maou Sadao about time you take a closer note some TV shows do use webcams in places. Most common usage for a webcam is close up shots on a desk or something like it. Where a normal camera operator would be a pain in ass. Yes video of person fingers typing on keyboard… Yes there are a lot of shots webcams are good for doing those days since their quality is not complete crap.

Of course not all your footage will be on webcams.

Maou Sadao every extra camera type counts.

Time moves on yes a just a few years back webcams did not have the resultion to be useful at all.

6. Maou Sadao says:

So webcam plug and play is kinda important and useful.

Yes, that’s why I will shoot my next TV show with a multi-webcam setup. Just like all the others are doing. Do you know Lisa Kudrow’s “Web Therapy”? It’s not really shot with the Macs’ webcams. Sorry to break this news to you.

Maou Sadao happens dougman was just on the edge of relevant. Lightworks is a NLE but its also a live editing suite. So webcam plug and play is kinda important and useful.

8. Maou Sadao says:

Well, since dougman is posting irrelevant stories not pertaining to Lightworks here, I can as well:

Google revamps Hangout, drops XMPP

Yes, XMPP. That truly, truly open standard.

I guess that’s one step closer to enslavement then. But Mr. Pogson isn’t bothered by it, as Google runs on Linux! They’re the world’s best friends.

Just bought a Logitech C525 webcam, plugged it into my Mint box and it worked sans drivers automatically

Anyone remember the ol’ line , Plug-n-Pray?

D.