Debian GNU/Linux Now Celebrated

There’s nothing like an ancient distro making a new release to prop up counts on Distrowatch:Debian_on_top_distrowatch_2013-05-11

I recommend Debian Wheezy to anyone. I have been using it for a couple of years before release. In the last year it has become very solid with very few bugs affecting operations on several computers. For greater assurance during installation, you can use the unofficial multi-arch cd-image with firmware blobs for some drivers.
“The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made common cause to create a free operating system. This operating system is called Debian GNU/Linux, or simply Debian for short.”
see DistroWatch.com: Debian GNU/Linux

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Debian GNU/Linux Now Celebrated

1. joncr says:

Distrowatch measures what it says it measures. How that might correspond to actual usage levels is anyone’s guess. It makes sense that immediately following a widely publicized release, e.g., Debian 7, we would see a spike in hits on Distrowatch’s link to that distribution.

Although the relative rankings remain reasonably stable over time, I think people are much more likely to click on a Distrowatch link while they are still researching which distribution to install. After all, if you have already a given distribution, why go back to see what Distrowatch says about it?

Getting reliably accurate data on a distribution’s usage is very, very difficult. That’s especially true for the home desktop category. I remember a Fedora discussion not too long ago triggered by a decline in Fedora web site hits, which some saw as indicating a drop in use of Fedora. In the end, everyone acknowledged they had no idea how many people ran Fedora.

2. ssorbom says:

My understanding is that DistroWatch uses a statistic of (homepage hits)/(x time period). While this may not reflect *usage* per se, Isn’t it reasonable that it reflects overall interest in the project?

3. lpbbear says:

“Accusing me of a crime just got you banned. Good riddance.”

I celebrate each time you get rid of one of these smug arrogant condescending M$ supporting pricks. While there have been a few semi rational M$ supporters on here from time to time most of them have personalities that mirror the companies nasty attitude toward the rest of the industry.

M$ spends a ton of money pushing the idea that they do no wrong all over the media. They really do not deserve any courtesy or generosity with being able to post their party here too.

I’m sure he’ll slither in here under some new name and immediately begin spewing the same crap as before….but at least we’ll get a break from his garbage for a while.

Thanks.

4. George Wilson wrote, “You are known for sabotaging Windows installations to make Linux look better.”

Accusing me of a crime just got you banned. Good riddance.

5. matchrocket says:

“George Wilson says: your lies don’t work. You are a fraud. We know it.”

George Wilson says Microsoft can’t compete against Linux and open source. He says Microsoft has begun the long slide into irrelevance. He says so because he has given up on the discussion and has now resorted to slander.

6. George Wilson says:

I have used Vista, “7″ and Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze and Wheezy all on the same hardware so I will not shut up.

You are known for sabotaging Windows installations to make Linux look better. Your first order of business is loading malware onto a Windows machine which you later conveniently discover.

George Wilson says: your lies don’t work. You are a fraud. We know it.

7. joncr says:

Robert Pogson said, “Where I last worked, two years ago, I installed Wheezy on the Grade 1s’ PCs and the kids loved it with no hand-holding required. Kids just point and click and learn. Adults are a bit hesitant however.”

The install thing is seems the major hurdle for a lot of folks. They see the prospect of destroying what’s working and replacing it with something they don’t yet know if they will like. I’ve found ordinary consumer-level Windows users often aren’t as frustrated and annoyed as we might think. (They don’t face the same press of issues as Windows admins supporting multiple installations.) They’re likely to keep plugging away until the machine actually stops functioning. (That’s happened to relatives, and they just put the machine away and used their phone, which does everything they used their computer to do.)

Re: handholding — Kids have nothing to unlearn, no experience baggage to shed, no preconceptions about how things are supposed to work, and they aren’t afraid to click away to see what happens. And, if it does break, they know they just holler for an adult to fix it.

8. Ivan wrote, “You’ve never used them, if you’ve never used them shut up about them.”

I have used Vista, “7” and Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze and Wheezy all on the same hardware so I will not shut up. All students and teachers agreed with me that other OS was as slow as molasses in January. In the lab we even did side-by-side-simultaneous tests and tried XP and GNU/Linux on both PCs just in case there were and hardware/BIOS differences. It didn’t matter. GNU/Linux was clearly superior in performance and it cost much less.

9. joncr wrote, “I wouldn’t suggest Wheezy to a complete newbie. (Mint Cinnamon, instead, probably, but I’d do the install and hold their hand for some time.)”

10. matchrocket says:

Ivan belched: “Bob spewed some tripe: and in my experience, “Vista” and “7″ too.”

Far fewer people have used Windows 8 but that doesn’t stop them from having an opinion about it. Microsoft’s reputation has caught up with them. They have an image problem now that they can’t shake.

Microsoft openly talks about forcing people to use their products. That’s not going down well with the general public, especially with a product like Windows 8.

11. joncr says:

After doing serious damage to a slackware-current installation, I installed Wheezy with MATE as a respite. After adding the Infinality font rendering patches, it’s quite nice. (Tweaking font rendering is always the first thing I do, on any distribution. If I can’t do that, I won’t use it.)

Also didn’t need to troll the not looking for audio codecs. A rare treat.

It’s on a homebrew box deliberately populated with non-exotic hardware. including an ethernet card and a wired net connection, so there’s no need for firmware or juggling with a wifi connection. It just, as someone once said, works.

The old kernel versus new kernel issue isn’t important to me, but, obviously will be to people who have hardware that’s not supported in the 3.2 kernel. (Does Debian backport kernel code into it’s stable kernel? Like Red Hat?)

The whole FOSS versus Windows thing increasingly is of little interest to me. People will use what they like, for whatever reasons. The vast majority are no more interested in computers than they are in automobiles. Both are just tools that they want to use without any requirements to learn very much at all. C’est la vie.

I wouldn’t suggest Wheezy to a complete newbie. (Mint Cinnamon, instead, probably, but I’d do the install and hold their hand for some time.) But, for a reasonably savvy Linux user who, perhaps, was put off by some of the inconveniences of an earlier Debian release, Number 7 is good stuff.

(I’m not at all convinced that the sluggish release process is actually necessary, so the recent proposal for an “always releasable” Debian is attractive.)

12. Ivan says:

So dumb that Bob just gave Debian a few more hits.

Bob spewed some tripe: and in my experience, “Vista” and “7″ too.

You’ve never used them, if you’ve never used them shut up about them.

13. matchrocket says:

“ludicrous and desperate”

You are a sad case Mr. Wilson.

14. George Wilson wrote, “shows how ludicrous and desperate the world of Linux distributions is when a distribution with (by now) age-old “stable” software is “lauded”.”

George Wilson likes buggy software but I’ll take stuff that has been tested more than two years any day over what M$ rushes to market. Heck, much of the world still runs XP. Debian has it all over that OS, and in my experience, “Vista” and “7” too.

15. Mats Hagglund wrote, “The latest kernel is 3.9. More than just being a few releases behind, sticking with 3.2 means users may have trouble getting Debian to run properly on some of the latest hardware available – to say nothing of any hardware coming in the near future.”

I don’t have new hardware to worry about but I still compile the latest stable kernel. I wait a couple of “point” releases before switching to something coming from Linus’ mainline. I started 3.9.2 yesterday. It’s humming. It only took a few of my machine’s background cycles to do the job. One can use the kernel from “sid”, with linux-latest or linux-image-amd64 and get 3.8.12. As long as you can stay in the repository that should work with APT. I would not want to run all the packages in sid, however. It’s just too buggy.

16. Mats Hagglund says:

Many times the stable-by-design distribution is a good thing, but this means that Debian still has some rather creaky tools in it, such as the Linux 3.2 kernel (released “long” time ago) The latest kernel is 3.9. More than just being a few releases behind, sticking with 3.2 means users may have trouble getting Debian to run properly on some of the latest hardware available – to say nothing of any hardware coming in the near future.

For me the first problem could be e.g brand new USB-Modems (of course there are usbmodeswitch-packages etc).

17. George Wilson says:

George Wilson says: nothing to celebrate. Distrowatch statistics are even dumber than the statistics Robert Pogson routinely pulls out of his dark hole. If anything this just shows how ludicrous and desperate the world of Linux distributions is when a distribution with (by now) age-old “stable” software is “lauded”.

George Wilson is not impressed.

George Wilson recommends Windows for a bright future where you are free to do how you please instead of having the free software dictatorship rule over you.