Killing “Secure Boot”

“In an amended complaint which adds to the original, Hispalinux notes that the Microsoft certification requires manufacturers to allow users to "alter" the UEFI key and enable the deactivation of Secure Boot. However, it says the means to do so currently exceed the competence of the average user.

Hispalinux wants Europe to impose a requirement on a list of 10 Windows 8 PC manufacturers, including HP, Lenovo and Dell, to spell out for consumers exactly how to deactivate UEFI and specify their rights. Other PC manufacturers on the list include Asus, Samsung, Toshiba, Acer, Sony, Packard Bell and Medion.

It also wants the vendors to determine how many certified Windows 8 devices it has sold within Europe and for them to define how Secure Boot has been implemented.”
see Windows 8 PC makers should tell users how to kill UEFI, Linux group demands .

To do this thing right, the EU should also include that users who overwrite that other OS before or after accepting the EULA should be given a full refund of the retail price of that other OS… They might as well include unbundling as well. The EU does not owe M$ a living. M$ should be required to work for a living.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Killing “Secure Boot”

T.R. you just stated something I am waiting to see.

Valve also is not enforcing the requirement for secureboot to be on or even work. Microsoft with Window 8 insists that its on.

Steambox’s possible next generation Linux cheep servers and desktops.

Same with the Android and chromebooks coming out as well from HP and others.

Welcome to fun Linux users will have options not to buy machines with windows on when they want pre-built.

2. T.R. says:

I’ve been in the technology sector since I was 16 years old. I first worked on Mini Vax, Sgi, Sun, Xt, AT…. now i feel useless and obsolete with this new UEFI crap…

For what it’s worth: I just built a modest “Steam Machine” over the holidays. The mainboard I chose (ASRock FM2A75M Pro4+) came with Secure Boot disabled.

3. Sarah Kerr wrote, “i think its time for me to cut Consumer level IT from my trade and stick to radio engineering & Unix server work.”

I know the frustration of trying to support M$’s crapware but we all can make the world a better place fixing things by replacing that crapware with GNU/Linux and FLOSS applications wherever possible. If we retire or run away, the world is not a better place.

Also, consumers are ripe for the picking. They see that a small cheap computer running FLOSS does most or all of what they used to do with that other OS. They should be much more agreeable to change the OS on a PC of any age, shape or size. I can remember changing OS for a person who did not even know what an OS was. Now, at least, almost everyone will have heard about and seen iOS, Android/Linux, that other OS, MacOS, so a change may have a lower barrier to accomplish. Mention less malware or increased reliability and you’re done.

4. Sarah Kerr says:

I bricked a laptop trying to load windows 7. I managed to stuggle Ubuntu 13.04 onto it with full driver support. After that the system refused to boot again XD. It was an acer and secure boot option was completely greyed out in the bios. There was no way i could disable it. When running the bios in legacy i lost 80% of the system performance.
    SERVERS.
    It took me over 3 hours to get Proxmox to properly load on a new asus UEFI board.
    K Back when uefi was developed for the IA64 systems it was nothing like this crap.. The consumer industry has been driver by microsoft for so long now and with losing most of our social & virtual freedoms This comes as a huge let down. My point isnt in complete linearity with this thread but I wanted to express my concerns..
    Honestly i think its time for me to cut Consumer level IT from my trade and stick to radio engineering & Unix server work.

5. ram says:

I think the success of Intel’s NUC boxen also proves Robert Pogson’s point. Oiaohm also makes a good point about shelf space at retail. Bulky PCs that are not moving are going to the scrap heap.

6. George Wilson says:

Not BS. Consumers are buying few “8″ machines. That means they are buying few UEFI machines. QED

No, it’s only QED if you have learned about logic in kindergarten and stayed on that level. Like you so aptly have demonstrated here.

7. Finalzone says:

Recently, my local retailed recommend to stick with the current motherboard (I have the 2009 model with bios) which still uses DDR2 RAM.

8. George Wilson wrote, “Bullshit. The normal customer — defined by Pogson as a mere mortal incapable of installing Linux — doesn’t even know what UEFI is.”

Not BS. Consumers are buying few “8” machines. That means they are buying few UEFI machines. QED

George Wilson going forwards most PC buyers will be Business with educated IT Officers.

Home users are having there needs serviced by devices more and more.

Yes only people capable of installing Linux will be the buyers in the majority.

PC Retail will fade away. Because there will not be enough income in Retail space to justify the shelf space. There is not now.

10. ram says:

UEFI has become associated with “not working” in the minds of customers. This is because UEFI interferes with everything that is not Microsoft 8, and that is quite alot.

There are good reasons, “little, tiny, obscure” 😉 companies such as INTEL are providing non UEFI boxes and motherboards directly to systems integrators and even consumers.

11. George Wilson says:

Customers don’t want UEFI and are not buying systems with it built in.

And Macs seem to have no problem selling, and they’ve used UEFI’s predecessor EFI since they switched to Intel.

So stop telling tall tales based on whatever it is your business sells.

12. lpbbear says:

Its clear that Microsoft has dropped a rather large turd in the market with Windows8. It is also clear that Microsoft’s entire product line is steadily losing market share. I’m sure Microsoft has been aware of this for quite a while hence its attempt to use UEFI as a means to regain control of a market it is losing slowly but steadily. Long term it won’t work. Legal issues will continue to dog them around this. The Linux community will eventually build around it and make it obsolete. The hacker/cracker community will also eventually expose the whole scheme for the bad excuse for security it really is.

I’m also sure that after this blows up in Microsoft’s face Microsoft will find some new type of “tacks” to throw in the road but its all downhill for them from here. About the only thing Microsoft is any good at anymore is finding new and “innovative” ways to interfere with potential competitors.

13. ram says:

Robert, that is exactly what has happened. Customers don’t want UEFI and are not buying systems with it built in.

Suppliers of non-UEFI systems, such as Intel with their NUC boxen or Shuttle with their line of small and powerful boxen are doing fine with sales holding steady.

Retailers got spoiled, counting too much on “push money” from certain vendors rather than concentrating on customer needs.

14. George Wilson wrote, “All you can do is accuse Microsoft”.

That’s because there is no one but M$ to blame for dictating to the OEMs. Do it our way or you can’t sell the default OS…

If M$ wanted “secure boot” they should have set up an impartial body to regulate the keys and help make it clear that it could be disabled by the owner of the hardware. They deliberately prevented that in ARMed units. They clearly have a competitive edge over any OS by being able to revoke keys or to refuse to issue keys. That’s like Sears allowing Home Depot to Sears’ hours of business.

It’s not the Free Software folks who are to blame. We complained long ago but no one listened. Governments gave M$ the bye. I think consumers should refuse to buy anything with M$’s secure boot on it in favour of alternative hardware. That’s difficult but it would teach the OEMs and retailers a lesson. They should be serving their customers, not M$.

15. George Wilson says:

The UEFI/Secure Boot “debacle” is merely one because Linux developers were too busy patting themselves on their back instead of working to resolve this. Matthew Garrett is pretty much the only one who has done substantial work to that end, and for that he’s now decried as a Microsoft shill.

That UEFI and Secure Boot were coming was only known for how long? The EU must not support the ignorance of Linux developers.

All you can do is accuse Microsoft, even though it was you who were too lazy to get the finger out of your asses.

What a pathetic showing.

No wonder Miguel de Icaza fled from this kindergarten shit.

16. bw says:

“it says the means to do so currently exceed the competence of the average user”

I have seen such thoughts bandied about this forum as well. Aren’t you all a little embarrassed by this elitist sort of position? You have gone from saying that Microsoft forces things on people to admitting that Microsoft does not do this, but that people are not as smart as the Linux advocates and so are at a disadvantage that Microsoft is somehow obligated to adjust.

A more proactive stance would be for the Linux advocacy elements to go out into the world and preach the Linux gospel to bring the word to the masses. Stallman, in his St. IGNUtius guise has shown the way. Where did you leave your robes? Get them on and get out there and stop your whining.

You expect governments to do what you are too lazy to do yourself.