M$ Loses Another Family

I love it when ordinary people give GNU/Linux a try and find it actually works despite all the FUD spread far and wide… Alan Shimel was trying to repair his Wintel machine by dual-booting with Ubuntu GNU/Linux and clobbered his partition. So he was stuck with GNU/Linux and
“I have to say that Libre Office, which comes with Ubuntu, has been a breeze to work with. So has just about everything I worked on using Ubuntu. I am going to get my Windows boot partition fixed, but I am going to leave Linux on the machine too. I think I will show it to my sons and get them used to Linux as well.”
see I ditched Windows 8 and went Ubuntu by mistake

Thank you, M$, for producing such a fragile POS that users like me and Alan Shimel are forced to try GNU/Linux just to do our jobs. It’s good that the bad guys wipe themselves out despite their plans of world-domination.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to M$ Loses Another Family

Windows 8 is just garbage, who wants a phone app as a desktop??

I say, steer clear of Windows and get yourself Linux, ASAP.

After all the negative reviews of Windows 8 and people saying consumers don’t want it, they’re now blaming the OEMs.
    M$ just don’t get it, nor do they care about it’s customers.

Number 1 you get to partitioning Ubuntu and Debian both warn you that you should backup. Yes there is only so much you can do when someone don’t listen to the installer. Windows partitioning on install does not warn you when you flatten a Linux partition or destroy a Linux boot record.

George Wilson Windows 8 is a prick to detect due to its two install modes. Legecy bios install mode you go to the partitions MBR and it boots up like Windows 7 did. EFI install mode. Go to the partitions MBR results in repair mode starting and Windows 8 getting lost and damaging itself. In the process to be really bad. You can end up with a zero size partition with a block of blank space. Run testdisk and magically the partition will be refound.

George Wilson so this could be Windows + Linux causing Windows todo something completely stupid to itself due to defective repair. When it zero sizes the partition the Windows 8 repair tool does not appear again.

George Wilson Microsoft with Multi boot environments has always been poor. But Windows 8 is the first time they nuke there own partition.

EFI installed windows use EFI compatible Linux or risk highly nasty fall out. Microsoft never tested what would happen if the system switch from EFI back to legacy boot by what happens. Grub can legacy boot on GPT partitions. Microsoft believed this was impossible so never tested this code path.

3. George Wlson wrote, “There was no data loss before Shimel installed Ubuntu alongside Windows. Because Windows worked just fine.”

An OS does not work fine that doesn’t work with other operating systems. This is fair turnabout. I remember the “good old days” when dual-booters had to install that other OS first because it would often wipe GNU/Linux.

4. George Wilson wrote, “Before that Windows 8 booted just fine.”

Perhaps “secure boot” did it in… Why could “8”‘s repair tool boot but not the OS?

5. George Wilson says:

Trying to misrepresent what I wrote again?

You are blaming the end-user for not being a geek.

Shimel wrote: Anyway, this happens when you are a geek and you mess around.

Curious.

That’s not fair.

The only thing that’s not fair is you desperately trying to turn Windows into the culprit.

Read the damn article! There was no data loss before Shimel installed Ubuntu alongside Windows. Because Windows worked just fine.

6. George Wilson wrote, “Shimel did not back up his data.”

The PC is supposed to be a reliable appliance for all, computer geek or not. You are blaming the end-user for not being a geek. That’s not fair. An OS should never be the cause for a user losing their data. M$ did that, not the hardware, not the end-user. With GNU/Linux I have only a few times lost data when I was doing risky brain-surgery but the data was usually the OS and my backup was re-installing which is quick. With that other OS, I was was in a computer lab with 30 PCs running that other OS. Every class I would expect at least one student would lose a file when closing it. That was a few years back. Since then, I have never once seen a student lose a file due to GNU/Linux croaking. Are my users computer-geeks and Shimel a fool? Nope. It’s the OS that made my students so productive and Shimel pained.

7. George Wilson says:

Blaming the user only makes them angry or timid.

LOL! Shimel did not back up his data. He is to blame for that.

The world is refusing to be timid any longer.

Thankfully, you’re not speaking for the world. You’re only speaking for the association of self-righteous and bitter “Windows has stolen my (insert appropriate term)” users.

LOL again! Windows didn’t crap out on Shimel. It worked just fine before he decided to install Ubuntu alongside it.

Please, try to read the articles you’re referring to.

8. George Wilson says:

1. Shimel ran Ubuntu from a USB stick because he wanted to “debrick” his HP Touchpad running Android.

2. Some (clueless) user somewhere on the net suggested that he had to actually install Ubuntu on hard disk for the “debricking” to work.

3. Shimel did.

Before that Windows 8 booted just fine.

4. From Shimel’s article, where he describes that GRUB pops up with an entry for Windows 8 after booting, it’s quite clear that he instructed the Ubuntu installer to install Ubuntu next to Windows. Otherwise Ubuntu’s installer wouldn’t have created an entry for Windows in GRUB’s menu.

5. Windows 8 didn’t boot anymore.

You can try to spin this however you want: Ubuntu’s installer failed. Not Windows.

9. George Wilson wrote, “It’s actually the Ubuntu installer which is a POS.”

Why did he try to install Ubuntu GNU/Linux? M$’s OS crapped out…

George Wilson wrote, “Shimel is a dumbass.”

Blaming the user only makes them angry or timid. The world is refusing to be timid any longer. Why did M$’s OS crap out? Poor design. Layers of bloat to hide/fix other defective layers of bloat. MIPS-eating…

10. George Wilson wrote, “Shimel isn’t actually leaving Windows for Linux.”

Why the Hell not? He’s finding GNU/Linux works for him. Why pay the extra costs of monopoly for the same or better performance? I never went back to M$ and I didn’t learn to hate them until years after I discovered GNU/Linux. I first tried GNU/Linux in 2000. I didn’t start this blog until 2007. What happened in the interim? Waves of malware. Lots of failures to boot. Lots of fights over open standards. M$ is a black cloud hanging over mankind. Imagine the whole world enslaved to M$, doing IT in really strange ways because it maximizes M$’s profits… So sad. 🙁

11. Mats Hagglund wrote, “i got a mandate to install Linux Mint to a computer of my wife’s relatives who have had problems with Windows Vista. They had to bring pc to shop for a service (likely malware?).”

When I was working in schools malware was epidemic. Half the machines had some malware and a few had so much they could not run. I suspect a lot of “failure-to-boot” problems were related. We installed a professional anti-malware at the last place that was requiring administrators to bless every executable and still malware got in … We switched to GNU/Linux and all those problems went away and with them hours of work every week. It was like a weight being lifted from my body.

12. Mats Hagglund says:

There are lots of newbies who are using dual boot computers with Windows and Linux side by side. However the trend seems to be that they mostly start to use Linux instead of Windows. For instance about tree months ago i got a mandate to install Linux Mint to a computer of my wife’s relatives who have had problems with Windows Vista. They had to bring pc to shop for a service (likely malware?). However they wanted to have finally a decent OS. I might have had option to wipe out Windows Vista but because Linux don’t take too much space of disk i let Vista stay and made a dual boot computer.

Now they are net computing only by Linux Mint. They mentioned last week that its much faster than Vista which hardly surprise only Windows-fanboyz.

13. George Wilson says:

Pogson plays “Let’s spread FUD” again. Nice.

1. Shimel isn’t actually leaving Windows for Linux.

2. It’s actually the Ubuntu installer which is a POS. That one wreaked havoc if you only would’ve tried to read Shimel’s article carefully enough. What was it he wrote? “It seems that my Windows partition size is set to zero.” Oh, yeah, seems like Ubuntu’s partitioning tool screwed up big time.

3. Shimel is a dumbass. Proof:

“But, frankly, I am scared to death to mess with it, because I don’t want to lose all of the data and files on my hard disk. I will head over to the shop this morning and let someone who knows what they are doing help me with this.”

Oh, so he installed Ubuntu without having backed up his data. I’m beginning to believe that his article is actually a weak attempt at trolling. That’s probably the quality you get when Shuttleworth can’t pony up more money.

14. George Wilson says:

Pogson plays “Let’s spread FUD” again. Nice.

1. Shimel isn’t actually leaving Windows for Linux.

3. Shimel is a dumbass. Proof:

15. Mats Hagglund says:

Five years ago when i finally said adios to that fat and sick Windows very few in my town knew something about Linux. Now people hardly any kind of geek at all are asking about it. I never mention: “you should use Linux”. Instead i have noticed one very special method to wake up people. Normally i mention: “Ohhh, i don’t know much about Windows, i haven’t used it for many, many years. I use Linux”. Then i mention that i got tired to pay Windows-license for viruses.

It’s kind of dynamite – people start to think immediately that Windows is “out” and Linux is “in”. During the last 3 years i have installed Linux to 10 machines (other families). None of them have come back to Windows. I do appreciate that 5 years LTS.