M$ Is The Cancer

When Samsung packaged a solar-powered classroom for Africa’s remote communities, it shipped a GNU/Linux solution but M$ intervened…
“However, this solution with little education relevance (all 20 student laptops as well as the teacher one) was a complete Linex solution at the time of launch.  Working together with Reza Bardien, our Education Lead, we managed to turn this into an end to end Windows solution by the end of the week, including the PIL Learning Suite and the Windows-based NETOP Classroom Management solution.
see Microsoft Citizenship | Solar Powered Schools – Linux Win

This is a failure for Samsung as far as I can see. They missed an opportunity to free an emerging continent from the clutches of monopoly. I have used GNU/Linux in education and it is wonderfully suitable whereas schools should not be tied to a money-making machine like M$.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to M$ Is The Cancer

bw –If you could name such a work, then there would still be the question of whether the author of whatever work you pick was sufficiently unknown to qualify as possibly being yourself or someone like you. I think that the effort involved coming up with such a work with such an author is enough to punish your lame attempt to save face if the claim is untrue and, of course, you would have to expend zero effort in doing that if the claim were true.–

Again presuming. Zero effort sorry not so. I never received a direct cent from the book. I never ever got a personal copy. My personal copy sits in the schools library since the school was the one being paid. Only thing I have that proves that I wrote it is the contract with the publisher it lists the poems in full not the book title they are in. Yes the 1 published books containing the poems is all my works. Now the evil question is how many fake histories were written and how many pen names do I have. Part of the contract I gave the publisher the right to create the fake pen names. Some are reused fakes so I am a ghost writer on those pen names along with many other poem authors.

What you are willing to give up when you need resources. As I got taller my means to hold a pen to write reduced. Without more computers and other items at my school I would not be able to stay at my school.

bw do you think I am in the legal position to undo that even now. Answer is no.

My favourite poem I wrote in that book is the only one published without a fake pen name. Its marked as Anonymous that is almost as bad as a ghost writer pen name.

There is only one catch if you can see the pattern in the poem I just gave you will see the common pattern in all the poems of that book. See how this causes trouble. Bw. Find my work find a publishers dirty little secret. Some of there long term authors don’t physically exist they are just a stack of ghost writers who credit is obliterated by contract.

Dyslexia effects are not constants. The simple point is you never would have enough information really to prove it.

–A much bigger issue remains, namely the idea that the mechanical means to produce words or computer code statements, if/when they become ubiquitous, ever would result in a clod like Doughman writing a successful book or computer program. Or yourself.–

Sorry look closely. I have answered this. Section from a poem that is not published that there is no other in existence other than my own private copy.

This is my other problem. Even if I tell you the book you will not believe the work is from me. Quality will be too high. There is a reason. Each poem in the book took me 2 months to write/rewrite. Compare to less than 10 mins I put in here. PS that is a clue to my typing speed.

I have made one promise to my self bw. If I do ever get a set of poems good enough to publish again I will never allow them to go under a pen name as a ghost writer.

Reality bw you don’t understand publishing to know that what you are asking for will not be proven by me telling you the title of the book.

As you know bw people don’t buy books from unknowns that often. Publishers exploit this with Pen names filled with ghost writers. Then they are not unknowns right. They are a pen name you have seen before.

The key thing you are not allowing on is how much effort Doughman might put in. I know for myself if I put in 1-2 months per poem I can product high enough grade to be published from a english mechanical point of view.

Due to the level of effort bw a person like me is unlikely to process more than a 1 off and it was fluke that it was profitable. I could spend the 8 years making another one and it be a complete flop.

bw basically how a person posts on this blog is no real test of if they have ability to be published.

Just because Doughman appears a clod on the blog and I appear to have poor english. Does not mean if we do truly apply ourself that we cannot do way better.

Yes I truly apply myself I use grammar checkers/spell checkers….. Reread over many days so being able to spot dyslexia caused issues. Lot more effort lot better quality.

Yes my blog posts lack effort.

2. bw says:

“so you can insult that as well”

You cannot insult an inanimate object although it can disparaged. But neither is the purpose of goading you to reveal the title, which I doubt actually exists. Rather it is to verify or disprove the notion that this work was profitable enough to support your education. If you could name such a work, then there would still be the question of whether the author of whatever work you pick was sufficiently unknown to qualify as possibly being yourself or someone like you. I think that the effort involved coming up with such a work with such an author is enough to punish your lame attempt to save face if the claim is untrue and, of course, you would have to expend zero effort in doing that if the claim were true. I would not disparage it further in either case, as long as the characteristics of the named work met the criteria for success and anonymity.

At the end of the day, the computer with word processing software or with program development software is nothing more than a glorified typewriter or card punch and does not materially contribute to the creativity needed for success in either field.

Sorry bw you have the wrong idea. There is enough clues to identify me.

The point is you want to think I am fake. The simple reality. I am not fake. I avoid mentioning stuff. That does not mean I am fake.

You live in a very small reality bw.

What sells and what works is quite random.

Reality I should never need to make the arguement that dougman could create a book.

Some of the best selling books and moves are technically the worse written/produced trash ever.

The reality lack the experience selling stuff bw. I am not a fake I admit my first book was a fluke and sold well. Does not mean I am impressed by its quality.

Also by the way you insult me as well bw. Do you think I would tell you my pen name so you can insult that as well.

4. bw says:

Slink on, fake.

bw there was a direct reason why I said I would find others who had not used what I had. History of fake names and fake histories on works is a long one bw.

Welcome to the world of time,
    From the space of mind.

Gating to the future,
    From the past.

bw have fun finding who poem writing style is that. If you find my book you will find more poems this style. First book to contain that style in fact. There is a very strict rule to the poem design. The book contains a lot of first used styles of poem construction.

Don’t look for the exact words that poem is not in the book. As I said I was published because I had done something that was a luck.

bw you have completely no understanding at all.

Sorry bw me being a poet is true. The catch is I am not a normal run of the mill poet. I was published because my style is different and fairly unique and one poem was completely warped and funny.

Also to be funny when writing poems I can do perfect grammar. Something I cannot do the rest of the time. Welcome to the strangeness of the human brain.

6. bw says:

I thought you would slink away. Quit making things up to try to prove your untenable points. No one believes them.

bw I did not say there was no information about the author. I said a Pen Name was used. When you use a pen name you also normally have created a form of bogus history. If I knew you were skilled enough to investigate properly it would be worth telling you. You would make the mistake one of my school teachers did in year 11 when they accused me of putting my name to a poem that was not mine. In that case could go to office and get the payment information to the school over that poem listing the real author as me and the fake history as fake.

The fake history would have me many years older than what I am really.

bw you have never published using a pen name designed to hide identity. I know this because of your stupidity to say the information available regarding the author.

A proper pen name design right the person appears real until you wake up the history information is fake.

8. bw says:

“Not my real name.”

Then there should be no problem in pointing to it. Of course you will have to find a title that has no information available regarding the author and at the same time is a commercial success. I think that is such a difficult task that you will fail using your usual methods and will have to give up and slink away as usual.

So give us a title for this work of 15 minute’s fame.

bw I have basically admitted that my success with poems was blind luck. As with all writers my poems are under a pen name. Not my real name.

Unsubstantiated word is all most young writers can give you. Young and Famous for a one off is not a good thing. I know I did. Others who have not used a pen name have also pulled off one off flukes.

Reality bw I done it. Others have done it who can be substantiated so there is no reason why Dougman would not be able to pull it off once.

Now being a more than a 1 hit wonder. That takes skill. Of course bw do you want me to pull out examples of highly disabled and people with poor english pulling of a 1 hit wonder book.

There is that old saying about 15 mins of fame. You get that by pure luck. Have more than 15 min of fame takes effort.

10. ram says:

All this shows is that bribes are an effective marketing tool in Africa. But we already knew that, didn’t we?

11. bw says:

Only your unsubstantiated word about ever having done something published for money to begin with.

bw I have already done a book of poems that did sell quite well.

–But writing a book that anyone would be willing to pay money to obtain would be impossible for either of you! lol–

Odds of me doing a second one I would not be betting on.

13. bw says:

“Dougman writing a book is not impossible”

bw I am a published poet. Even with my bad english.

Funny enough those poems are what funded my school computer labs. It was fairly much a set of right ideas at the right time.

Dougman writing a book is not impossible.

And some of the high selling novels don’t have human authors.

bw 50 years time the world could be quite a strange place.

15. bw says:

“Mark my words, in 50+ years, software will be the same.”

So how many best-selling novels have you written? About the same number of software titles, I bet. I doubt that your talent will improve in the next 50 years. Maybe you will be able to find an undistorted image of an F/A-18F for your banner, though.

Look it from the standpoint of writing and creating of books.

Hundreds of years ago, people could barely read, let alone write and print books. Now it reading, writing and book creation is everywhere.

Mark my words, in 50+ years, software will be the same.

17. bw says:

“anyone could do it”

Maybe it will come to that, but there will still be jobs, I think. Look at how many people do not even cut their own grass.

What is more likely to happen is that everything will gravitate towards the way phones and tablets work today. You get a device as part of a subscription service and maybe add a few favorite games and app from an app store. You use it for a couple of years and throw it away when you are entitled to get a new one.

It will be like TVs. No one ever gets them repaired, they are either replaced under warranty for infant mortality or they last so long you get tired of the limitations before it ever quits working. Give it to Goodwill or AmVets.

Regarding Linux, what it comes down to is this. No operating system will beholden to any commercial entity.

Linux will become ubiquitous and everyone will be a developer of some sorts. Programming will become so easy, that anyone could do it.

19. bw says:

“It always tries to leverage some other feature to make its product seem the better choice.”

That is certainly true. It is what is known as Comparative Selling. To do that, you set up some sort of list of criteria that people can agree with. One item for Microsoft might be”

“The manufacturer of the software product that I would want to buy should have a verifiable track record of continually improving that product and keeping it compatible with prior versions”

or,

“The manufacturer of the software product that would want to buy must have the financial stability to indemnify me against claims that might arise out of its use”

In the comfort of the corner office, it would be hard for a purchasing manager to disagree with either of those two statements, eh? Of course it makes the typical open source product lose out in a comparison, but that was the whole idea to begin with.

Lock-in is often expressed as “The proposed product must be compatible with Buyer’s existing software and relevant data files”. Again that is a “neutral” sounding criterion that is hard to disagree with.

20. bw wrote, “You may consider Microsoft’s efforts to sell their product as harm to competition, but I think they themselves see it as the essence of competition itself.”

M$ never competes on price/performance if it can help it. It always tries to leverage some other feature to make its product seem the better choice. That’s how we see the nonsense proclaiming GNU/Linux costs more. Anyone who can do maths can see through that but M$’s salesmen are very good at persuasion that facts don’t matter when lies are available. That’s why M$ tries to get OEMs and retailers to supply M$’s stuff on hardware upon which GNU/Linux is not distributed so that consumers cannot compare identical units with different OS for price/performance. M$ tries to hide its miserable performance behind the performance of the hardware. That’s disgustingly immoral. It’s imposing a tax for no service rendered. M$’s offering might be reasonable at some price but certainly not at ~$100 per unit. They can only charge that because they have locked in OEMs and retailers and businesses to their lies.

21. bw says:

“I have done it hundreds of times.”

You have done it as a sort of life’s mission and applied it within the school systems where you worked, but who is calling on the Lower Saxony purchasing agents and influencing their specifications?

Organizations exist in a broad spectrum of shapes, sizes, and characteristics. Rural schools are possibly homogeneous in nature, but they are not likely to represent a big government bureaucracy in terms of how they organize purchasing.

Purchasing managers are jealous of their prerogatives and protective of their own procedures. Have you always seen eye to eye at these schools with the person who orders materials? If so, you have been fortunate.

You may consider Microsoft’s efforts to sell their product as harm to competition, but I think they themselves see it as the essence of competition itself. There are many points of view and they all fit within their owner’s logic.

22. bw begs the question with “who is going to show the buyer that performance is the same?”

Of course, on every continent and every region of every continent there are individuals and organizations ready willing and able to demonstrate GNU/Linux and other FLOSS technologies. I have done it hundreds of times.

Having salesmen is a good thing for most businesses. M$’s salesmen are not just selling a product, however. They deliberately harm competition in every way possible legal or not.

23. bw says:

“This is a failure for Samsung as far as I can see”

I have to say that you continue to ignore the larger lesson contained in these anecdotes. Microsoft, like most large, successful companies, organizes their sales efforts to focus on convincing customers that their products are the best choice.

That takes “feet on the street” who call on prospective customers and work with them to answer questions and provide solutions to their needs. If you do not do this for any and all candidates for using your product, you are not going to be very successful. If you have good news to tell, you have to tell it and tell it effectively and forcefully.

That is where Linux has an extreme handicap. When Windows wins a selective competition, they get paid. If Linux doesn’t show up for the competition, Microsoft’s job is that much easier.

Elsewhere you cited:

“In Lower Saxony, the parliamentarians want an IT strategy that prefers open source solutions above proprietary alternatives, when performance is the same”

But who is going to show the buyer that performance is the same? Not Microsoft. They are going to show the buyer that Windows performance is superior. If that presentation is not countered by someone presenting the case for the FOSS product, I can predict the outcome and you can predict it as well.