Yet Another Reason Not To Use That Other OS

Some people figure they must have that other OS on their PC even if they have a mess of servers. There’s evidence of malware for that other OS that targets GNU/Linux machines and wipes them…
“The dropper for Trojan.Jokra contains a module for wiping remote Linux machines. We do not normally see components that work on multiple operating systems, so it is interesting to discover that the attackers included a component to wipe Linux machines inside a Windows threat.”via Symantec's research on South Korean attacks, in more detail.

It’s still not clear whether the authour of this code is a Linux-hater or that he appreciates that GNU/Linux is winning on servers and he can do more harm this way. I have used that other OS and GNU/Linux to manage GNU/Linux machines. It’s much faster and more efficient to avoid that other OS. I hated it when M$’s Patch Tuesday forced me to do a lot of work in a short time to keep things running or when it insisted on rebooting whether or not I could spare the time. A stupid OS from stupid people is not what you want herding your GNU/Linux flock.

I recommend Debian GNU/Linux because it works for us, not M$.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Yet Another Reason Not To Use That Other OS

1. Ted says:

@Pog;

What was in your policy? What settings were in it for auto-restarts after installs?

@Oiaohm;

My own experiences using “shutdown /a” show it does not, by default, require administrative privileges to abort a shutdown. I would appreciate any knowledge you have of GPO settings that would prohibit its use as such, and of any that would prevent an administrative user from using the “RUNAS” command to execute it with the required rights.

Ted just like Der Balrog. You have kinda attacked his quality of work without your facts in order.

There has been no sorry opps was not aware of that.

Windows OS is not perfect. Linux is not perfect. We have to accept where the bugs are.

Windows some bugs are one place you really don’t want them in the update system.

3. lpbbear says:

“I think that Mr. Pogson should set down the rules as he wishes and we can all abide by them. If all he wants is a handful of toadies to chant “Amen!” to all his thoughts, then he can do that.”

Why do you automatically label anyone who agrees with Pog a “toadie to chant “Amen” ” with all the underlying implications there?

If you are really serious about contributing to a fair and respectful exchange of ideas between the two camps you’ll drop that attitude completely.

It may surprise you but I don’t always agree with Pog. I just don’t find it necessary to go ballistic anytime I don’t agree with him nor do I even mention it.

Seriously, if things had gone respectfully in the above posts the first post would not have been an series of insults about so and so’s assumed lack of Windows admin skills. (or Linux skills for that matter) It would have been more like:

“Oh, having trouble with WSUS? Well perhaps I can help. Have you tried etc?”

“If he thinks that his ideas can stand up to challenge, then he should only insist on respect and decorum.”

On that we agree, but unfortunately, as the history here has shown, many of those visiting from the MS camp have rarely exhibited those qualities. Pog is overly generous. I would simply ban them.

4. Ted says:

“Robert, there’s another name you need to add to the bozo bin, Ted. If it were a matter of civilised discussion such as, “I disagree with you and here is why”, I would not object. ”

In my defence, “Coward” and “Hypocrite” have the benefit of being concise and unequivocal.

However, if you want a wordy version;

Mr Pogson, I feel your recent actions in banning a regular poster for name-calling to be somewhat cowardly and hypocritical. If you have the courage of your convictions in your postings to your blog, then you should allow them to be subject to opinions from all fronts, not just those you agree with. Although I accept it is your blog, and you may do as you wish within its confines, I believe your action was arbitrary and harsh. If you feel the poster was abusive, then a polite warning and request to be polite and to refrain from invective may have sufficed. A criticism that may be levelled at your site is that the required standard of behaviour is not made explicit; bannings seem to be solely at your whim and the extents of your temper. You may wish to post clearly and concisely the required conduct on this site, and then – most importantly – apply those rules scrupulously and even-handedly, including to yourself.

Mr Hostler; you lambast me for calling Mr Pogson names, then label me a “bozo”. I suggest you look up the colloquialism “the pot calling the kettle black”.

5. bw says:

“I concur with your banning of them.”

Being uncivil is not something that is to be encouraged, but my observation is that it is being done by those on all sides of the issues. A blog can be an empty place where some sort of expression goes unnoticed or it maybe a forum where things can be discussed rationally.

Motherhood and apple pie are heart-warming for a while, but rapidly become rather boring. Without any sort of thesis/antithesis, a thinking person would quickly lose interest the discussion.

I think that Mr. Pogson should set down the rules as he wishes and we can all abide by them. If all he wants is a handful of toadies to chant “Amen!” to all his thoughts, then he can do that. If he thinks that his ideas can stand up to challenge, then he should only insist on respect and decorum.

6. George Hostler says:

R. Pogson: “It’s clear to me that Der Balrog adds little to the commentary and should be banned.”
    Ted: Coward.
    R. Pogson: “Calling me “stupid” is the last straw.”
    Ted: Hypocrite. You’re not shy about calling others names when you run out of actual arguments., 23 Mar 2013 at 3:34 am

Robert, there’s another name you need to add to the bozo bin, Ted. If it were a matter of civilised discussion such as, “I disagree with you and here is why”, I would not object. These trolls seem to have nothing better to say than their ad hominem attacks against promoters of Linux and FOSS and defensiveness toward Microsoft products.

I can’t say what truly motivates them, but it reminds me of the following statement from the Comes versus Microsoft court case Evangelism Exhibit 3096: “We [Microsoft] want to place selection pressure on those companies and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors’ technologies, to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over time.”

Regardless of their motivation, they contribute nothing toward the discussion except to provoke hostile reactions and I concur with your banning of them.

7. lpbbear says:

“Even idiots are entitled to express their views? The idiot label is fairly arbitrary.”

Not if the blog owner doesn’t allow them to….here. It is his blog, he can allow or block whoever he wants. Its not a democracy.

“Banning a troll from a blog like this would then seem to be a futile endeavour.”

Not really. You start with one and then continue on until you have basically killed all their ability to post. Not hard at all. If the blog owner resolves to be rid of them they will be gone.

8. oiaohm wrote, “Reality Microsoft is broken in the update system.”

Yes. There are a large number of behaviours of that other OS that are each sufficient justification to migrate to a real OS:

• re-re-reboots,
    • open-doors to malware,
    • slowing down,
    • authentication, not of the user, but of the licence, a genuine disadvantage,
    • frequent random breakage of updates, and, of course,
    • all the stupid lock-ins, things that no user would ever want that prevent easy migration to other operating systems.
  9. Ted wrote, “how did you set the clients to use the WSUS server? Just wondering.”

Policy. Auto-update at 0300.

Ted shutdown /a has a great fun problem. If you are currently in a limited user account you cannot use it. And if you log out or attempt switch users to get to an administrator account you don’t get your login screen back. So its 15 mins or else. Where a Linux 15 min or else you can login as a different user to stop it if required.

–This is basic 1st line tech knowledge. Accusations of ignorance of, and incompetence in, basic Windows administration matters do have some grounds.–

I can say this about what I just stated. Shutdown /a is limited user-able. Normally when you have had a shutdown triggered by update you don’t want you are not logged in as a Administrator or power user who can use shutdown /a and the bug about shutdown /a and changing users drives you into hell.

Ted basically you are not an experienced Windows Administrator. All of them universally swear at the WSUS and Windows update for end up going down the path of reboot under there users and there users complaining about it.

Also the other fun thing about Windows update and using Shutdown /a this is how to result in some windows updates being half installed at random times. Why because you abort the shutdown of one update and the next update installs and overwrites the prior updates run once so resulting in libraries not properly registered and other things. Yes shutdown /a does come back and bite.

Ted Windows Update is insanely buggy. Part of it is that each update is its own installer program so is dependant on being smart enough in its own right not to do the stupid nuke the update before it.

Ted you are trying to blame the administrator again without understanding the problem.

Windows Update first appears to provide all the controls it should. Comes very clear once you have used it for a few years it not doing critical things like checking that alterations that have to be applied after reboot are applied and not always checking if a update package is fully installed before starting the next update package. So is disturb at your peril.

11. Ted says:

Coward.

“Calling me “stupid” is the last straw.”

“I did have that other OS pop-up a notice that I had 15 minutes to finish or else.”

Then you should have aborted the shutdown. “shutdown /a”. This is basic 1st line tech knowledge. Accusations of ignorance of, and incompetence in, basic Windows administration matters do have some grounds.

“I used WSUS and set the clients to auto-update”

A question; how did you set the clients to use the WSUS server? Just wondering.

Ivan making out that it was the end users fault why Windows is a ass it manage is not true.

Ivan Windows management tools are flawed in many places.

13. Ivan says:

Calling me “stupid” is the last straw.

If you didn’t want to be called stupid, then why did you equate Microsoft’s selling of software with mass-murder and genocide?

Stupid is as stupid does.

Robert Pogson
    –I used WSUS and set the clients to auto-update. They never once, in a year, update the whole 100 PCs on schedule.–

Never does this work with XP and before. WSUS is stupid. WSUS does not multi cast updates in clients pre vista. It uni-casts updates. And when WSUS is busy with one client it tells the Windows client to come back later.

Then ms multi cast solution malfunctions http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331716

ftp, NFS, http hosting(and any other accepted method) of a Linux update solution can multicast to clients without risking 1 non server sends two server only answering 1 client at a time.

Basically MS multi cast is p2p with all the security issues that can bring.

Reality Microsoft is broken in the update system.

15. Kevin Lynch says:

Even idiots are entitled to express their views? The idiot label is fairly arbitrary. You should be careful you don’t end up on an idiot list.

Banning people for trolling is a whole other story. But then again the whole point of this blog appears to be to attack Microsoft. Is it then so surprising Microsoft supporters troll the comments?

Banning a troll from a blog like this would then seem to be a futile endeavour.

16. lpbbear says:

“It’s clear to me that Der Balrog adds little to the commentary and should be banned. Calling me “stupid” is the last straw. I should have banned him long ago for all his negativity.”

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Saying he “adds little to the commentary” is being extremely generous…he adds NOTHING and never has. Him and so many of the shills aren’t even close to being on topic. Simply blocking off topic comments would eliminate much of their negativity.

Nor are they civil, or contributing to and participating in discussion, or exchanging and sharing ideas. They are using your blog as yet another venue for their particularly sick brand of corporate worship and insanity.

This thread for example: He uses your original post to launch into an insult where he claims you are incompetent and he, of course, is some kind of Windows administrative expert as well as other insults and offers nothing of value to your attempt at conversation. The thread then degenerates into a ridiculous back and forth about Ballmer.

Most of the posts by the MS shills are similar. Pointless attacks, no substance, chest beating claims of their expertise. Why on earth even allow these idiots to have a floor to speak from at all? Its not like there is a shortage of places that don’t already saturate the eyes and ears of all unfortunate enough see and hear the Microsoft party line as it is. The company and its shills already invade and intrude themselves and their rude corporate greed into every medium on the planet there is…..why be allowed here also?

Thanks for getting rid of this one, and hopefully any and all others that will inevitably show up if you let them.

17. George Wilson wrote, “Can’t you ban them all? It’d make the place much more hospitable.”

It is difficult to ban them. They change nom-de-plume and IP address, so we have to take them out one by one. Then there’s the spam which is constantly evolving.

18. George Wilson says:

Thanks, Robert. I really loathe those unfriendly people who constantly visit your blog to spread their hatred. Even though I really like to read your blog I refrain from posting comments because there are too many of those guys here. They poison almost everyone of your posts. Can’t you ban them all? It’d make the place much more hospitable.

19. It’s clear to me that Der Balrog adds little to the commentary and should be banned. Calling me “stupid” is the last straw. I should have banned him long ago for all his negativity.

20. Der Balrog wrote, “Please, stop telling lies.

It’s a fact that you were too stupid to use the appropriate Windows tools for administrating a large number of networked PCs.”

I used WSUS and set the clients to auto-update. They never once, in a year, update the whole 100 PCs on schedule. I did have that other OS pop-up a notice that I had 15 minutes to finish or else. I didn’t make it. I was running a thin-client session at the time and didn’t want to interrupt my lesson. That’s a fact.

21. Der Balrog says:

Yes, I see that now. Note to self: don’t play PS3 while writing comments.

22. bw says:

And I thought I made a rhetorical answer. 🙁

23. Der Balrog says:

Sorry, this was a rhetorical question for Uncle Bob. I know fully well that Ballmer doesn’t code.

24. bw says:

“Perhaps coded by Ballmer himself?”

Ballmer codes nothing, preferring to sun himself on his yacht, building his strength for cheerleading mania at Microsoft PDCs and other events. Steve is a real Harvard (can you say Hahvahd!) man, versed in marketing and hardened in the Procter and Gamble tradition.

He doesn’t need to code anything. There are so many people pushing to get into line to do it for him.

25. Mats Hagglund says:

At least China is taking more steps to secure, stable and free ecosystem – out of Redmond movement is growing now:

Der Balrog really you have never used the Microsoft tools.

You do get group policy failures and Windows. Even running WSUS you do get Windows machines failing to accept updates. More common in schools with odd ball mixs of software in different classes.

Der Balrog answer me this and don’t lie. Have you ever worked in a school or anywhere with great mixes of educational software. The answer is no right.

Its A + B + C + D + E= one hell of a migraine.

Reason for updates in schools failing so much is normally some bit of educational software with Digital Rights Management of some form blocking the changes.

I have had windows be an ass as well. I set update to install at like 12 pm. Right mid night. Ok what does windows do in fact. Person turn the machine of the morning since it missed the update time it updates now and reboots right in the middle of worktime.

Der Balrog the provided management tools are buggy.

The appropriate Windows tools what are they. If you list them I can most likely list bugs in everyone you choose that will come and annoy the administrator.

–Strike that, you’re too stupid to administrate any sufficiently large number of networked PCs, regardless of the type of operating system used.–

Linux Thick disc-less and Thin. Failure is kinda in face. Thick disc-less network goes down its done when it powered off at end of day it going to start with new image in morning. Time is perfectly controlled not to interfere with work. After X time machine powers off to save power. So when it powered back on new image.

Der Balrog you love attempting to blame user/administrator not allowing that both can have valid hate against MS for the way the tools perform.

Der Balrog buggy is a nice thing to say.

Please note I have resorted to using third party solutions on Windows to detect things like group policy deployment failures.

27. Der Balrog says:

This trojan must have come straight out of Redmond. Perhaps coded by Ballmer himself?

Please, stop telling lies.