M$’s Phoney OS Races to the Bottom

“Microsoft will only ship as many Windows Phone units by 2017 as Apple will ship in 2012.”

see Report: Windows Phone to See Industry Leading Growth Through 2017 | Mobile Marketing Watch.

HAHAHA! Despite spending hundreds of $millions on advertising and promotion with OEMs and retailers, M$ will be in the third spot for smart phones for the forseeable future. This is why I see them as just another player in desktop/notebook PCs sooner or later as well. Without monopoly, they have no leverage to domination of the market. Monopoly ended this year with the advent of huge numbers of alternative computing devices not running M$’s OS.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to M$’s Phoney OS Races to the Bottom

Kevin Lynch: yes, I know there was a Linux version BEFORE M$ came along, but M$ sat on that version for sometime, all the while updating the Windows version.

They just recently updated Skype for Linux; normally they would not have bothered to have done this in the past, so what has changed?

The gist of my statement implies that M$ may eventually Linux binaries or .deb files.

2. MK says:

Why does it matter how many phones MS sells by 2017? Do you really think phone vendors will give up W8 for Debian/Gnu/Linux/6/Stable/Squeeze with LXDE desktop? Thank you for not recommending it again, by the way.

3. Kevin Lynch says:

@dougman: Skype was available on Linux well before Microsoft took over and bought it. In fact Microsoft actually broke Skype soon after they bought it with changes they wanted that caused service outages for Apple, Windows and Linux users.

4. ram says:

Another thing that is doing Microsoft in is they hardly have any independent developers creating new software for their platforms. The vast majority of software developers today are developing for Unix/Linux derivatives. Apple’s OS-X started out as BSD, Android is a distribution of Linux, as is Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, RedHat, SuSE, and others. Today’s developers almost always develop on a Linux platform and then port it to the various bits of hardware and particular distribution.

5. d. says:

Well, that’s a nice fantasy but I have a feeling that’s never going to happen. They’re far too proud, far too set in their ways to accept that the world is changing and that it requires changing business models to adapt.

My guess is, they will continue trying to lock-in, DRM and FUD their way out as long as they’re still breathing, because they don’t know any other way and aren’t interested to learn.

The same goes for apple.

I understand the UEFI thing, just a tactical ploy to keep the competition at bay, however temporarily.

Also, I see in the near future M$ acquiescing to Linux and begin to offer its software as binaries and .deb files, Skype is just the start.

Office is becoming subscription software and made available by way of the cloud, what better way to increase revenue by allow Linux users to run Outlook and Word? In doing so, they are keeping Libreoffice in check. Makes logical sense for them to do this.

In time, they will take the remains of SUSE, develop and release a Linux distribution of their own. However, Ballmer as CEO will need to be outed for this to happen.

7. kozmcrae says:

Microsoft must be making a meal out of Google’s dust by now. I must admit, I’m really enjoying watching Microsoft fail, and fail and fail.

To date, I have yet to see a Windows phone in the wild. It is either iPhone, Android or perhaps Blackberry.

90% of phone sales are iOS or Android.

BlackBerry is dying as I said months ago on this blog, and some troll tried to *inform* me otherwise.

Its cheaper to BYOD, and have your company subsidize your costs. Many are now doing this and its a far better solution, as it is less costly, does not require manpower supporting a Blackberry server, allows the worker to need only one phone and lets them use something they prefer.

Looking at the news today, we find:

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion’s sales tumble 47%

In five years, the realm of IT will be completely different then it is today and M$ will not be there at the top. Integrating smartphones with Ubuntu and Android, or just Google Chrome OS should be the next logical step.