This could be the best PC on the planet for some people:
- It’s highly mobile and, folded, protects its screen,
- It will last 6h on a small battery, 2 cells,
- keyboard, 2gB RAM, 16gB SSD, Wifi, and HDMI out
- It has a dual-core Xynos ARM CPU clocked at 1.7gHz
- It’s Chrome OS, not that other OS, and
- If you do everything on the web, it works for you.
If you spend all day on the web and rarely print documents, this thing will do the job. If lack of local apps is a problem, that may well be compensated by automatic maintenance of software and no viruses for that other OS. That’s priceless. This machine won’t bog down on you. For me the lack of keyboard is a killer for tablets and the small screens kill me for smart phones. This gadget is close to ideal for what I do. Oh, the price? $250. It is very affordable. I expect its other advantages will easily pay for itself over its lifetime. I could see myself with one of these as I putter around in the greenhouse, kitchen or out on the veranda or workshop. It could be the right way to do IT, even for an old guy.
I do a fair amount of word-processing and spreadsheets but Google Docs and what I can put on Beast may be enough for me. Probably all it lacks is a mouse. I hate those touchy pads. Not in Canada, yet. Pity.