Canonical Declines to Kick M$ While M$ is Down

“Canonical has finally (publicly) positioned Ubuntu as the direct competitor to Microsoft Windows. The Ubuntu home page flashes flashed this message “Avoid the pain of Windows 8”. Canonical removed the message as people discussed it on a Canonical engineer Alan Pope’s Google+ page. The message was replaced with “Your wish is our command”. I am not going to talk about whether that message was OK or not as Mark Shuttleworth clarified “That banner was totally un-Ubuntu and was changed as soon as someone senior saw it. Apologies."”

see Avoid The Pain of Windows 8? Is Ubuntu Ready For Windows Users? – Muktware.

I am not as gentle a man as Shuttleworth. M$ deserves to be kicked, in the marketplace, in the courts and out of our lives. GNU/Linux is a much better choice for millions of XP-users out there. I know it worked well for schools where I worked that adopted GNU/Linux. I recommend Debian GNU/Linux. It will work for you.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Canonical Declines to Kick M$ While M$ is Down

1. I share a number of your concerns. I tried Ubuntu once, long ago, and it was mostly cool. I stopped using it because of breakage. The things they are doing now with the desktop and search are occasionally useful but regularly a pain for me. I like Debian GNU/Linux because it just gets on with the job instead of trying to change how I do my job. That’s how an OS is supposed to operate.

Ubuntu is just fine for consumers who want something on a PC similar to what they have on a smart thingy. There’s nothing wrong with that but it’s a pain for people used to desktop OS and having a tablet/smartphone OS forced on them. I don’t understand why Canonical does not want to have two versions for two quite different use-cases: large screen with mouse and small screen with fingers. Debian GNU/Linux has no problem doing that. Neither does Android/Linux. I can run either or both at the same time and do what I want when I want. A restaurant can provide chopsticks and/or forks. Why not an OS?

2. Vincent Massey says:

Im not exactly a huge fan of Buntu and this isnt going to make me like them more:

“By default Ubuntu 12.10 will record all your keystrokes / search terms when using the Unity Dash and send it to their servers and other third parties.”

On top of that they are going the Apple route while looking for buzz and cool because Flyboy’s posts have been peppered about references about ‘surprises’ in 13.04.
    Open source development is such that there are no secrets when most of us have already seen alpha and betas.
    So now, Canonical wants to add a little mystery to get that Apple like buzz and excitement by having surprises.
    I guess it will make it easier for Bacon to ‘manage’ dissent. (still cant stand the guy. spend his pre-Buntu life shitting on everyone and everything that he didnt like about FLOSS but now no one else is supposed to criticize his employers at even 20% of the venom he used to. do as I say not as I do is the definition of hypocrisy.)

I know people want a knight in shining armour to defeat MS but A) it wont be one company that will do it but otehr combined factors. B) Canonical has been doing its best to distance itself from the Linux community (never daring to even mentioned the dreaded L world) so for many its a question of holding your nose and hoping Buntu does well because theyre not MS.
    Sorry but we have enough of that garbage in canadian politics where all the parties want to make you vomit so youre forced to go with the least worst options all the time.
    If it comes to taking side, it wont be even a debate who Id support but Ill be holding my nose when I do. Just when I go to vote. (actually, I lie. I always either destroy my ballot or vote for a small candidate who I figure needs some encouragment. I cant do that voting for the least worst option thing.)

3. dougman wrote, “Now its all about the independant app’s and programs that are not OS-centric.”

A lot of businesses have most apps on the server except for word-processing. When that happens in a big way there really will be no need for M$ even for the most locked-in.

Once the software patent debacle is formally rectified and completely banished, only then we will see a resurgence of innovation.

No one *needs* Windows, I proved this to a 30-person conference just this week. I got plenty of questions about why my screen flips. Uhhhh, I have 4 virtual screens, what you don’t? Oh, you use Windows ok thats why. 🙂

Even Ballmer admitted its all about the Developers. Now its all about the independant app’s and programs that are not OS-centric.

I’ve been asked a few times about what platform one should develop for, and I always say Linux, OSx and Windows.

5. kozmcrae says:

Chris Weig wrote:

“Canonical will be out of business before they can take on Microsoft.”

I’m not surprised commonsense doesn’t penetrate that armor plated Teutonic skull of yours. No *one* will “take on” Microsoft. Microsoft is being left behind. No one wants to do business with them because they want the whole thing. That “take on” thinking is last Century’s thinking.

Microsoft is last Century’s company. They’ re not making it in this Century because they refuse to change. They still want to do business the way they did in 1995. They want it all. No body wants to do business like that anymore. The lingering death is upon Microsoft. The only one who can save Microsoft is Microsoft. They will have to do a 180 on their corporate mind set. An almost impossible task. Certainly impossible with Ballmer at the helm.

6. Chris Weig says:

HAHAHAHAHA! Canonical! Competitor! Ubuntu!

It’s a MADHOUSE!

Canonical will be out of business before they can take on Microsoft.

7. The action that will hurt M$ the most is retailers giving GNU/Linux lots of space on retail shelves. It is a crime that they have continued supporting M$ for more than a decade. M$ has enslaved retailers for that long and enslaved consumers in the process. I see retailers giving Android/Linux lots of shelf-space and the extended slump in Wintel PCs shows them clearly what sells is not Wintel so I expect that sooner or later GNU/Linux will be on retail shelves everywhere.

8. kozmcrae says:

Robert Pogson wrote:

“M$ deserves to be kicked, in the marketplace, in the courts and out of our lives.”

At the very least Microsoft needs to be dealt with defensively. One defensive action is not rolling over when accused of violating one of their patents. Another is more proactive. Accusing Microsoft of violating some of your patents.

And, of course, there is the most unoffensive, neutral action of all, just leaving Microsoft completely. Simply choosing another vendor is everyone’s right. That is the way of the market and has been for centuries.

Leaving Microsoft is becoming the most favored choice of dealing with the Microsoft menace. It’s the easiest and sends the most direct message: You are not wanted any more where we work Microsoft.

Ballmer made some phone calls and threatened Shuttleworth with plane loads of chairs being dropped.

Canonical, should be in the attack mode.

Credo #45: Out-think, out-innovate and out-hustle the competition, and vividly visualize yourself as winning before entering into every deal or competitive situation. Maintain a blood-smelling, fighter pilot life-or-death attitude when any deal gets near to a close.