B.C. to offer free textbooks online

“The B.C. government is offering free online textbooks for post-secondary students who are taking the 40 most popular courses.

Advanced Education Minister John Yap says up to 200,000 students could save money next year”.

see B.C. to offer free textbooks online – British Columbia – CBC News.

That’s a lot like the FLOSS (Free/Libre Open Source Software) ecosystem for software. Invest ~$1million per annum in generating on-line textbooks and save students ~$200 million per annum in expense. It lowers the cost of education. So does FLOSS. Invest a little in installing FLOSS and get all the benefits for very little. Organizations as large as governments could invest in generating FLOSS as well as free textbooks.

This entry was posted in Linux in Education, technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to B.C. to offer free textbooks online

Chris Weig You are forgetting the one thing.

The long term victor is the one who writes the History.

FOSS is moving into the point that it is the one that writes the textbooks so it is the one that will be writing the history. FOSS is winning many key victories.

2. Chris Weig says:

OMG! To think I did not recognize all the psycho-babble. It has been so many years since I have heard it…

You mean: since you broke off psychotherapy? That was not a good choice.

3. Chris Weig wrote, “Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie”

4. kozmcrae says:

There’s more Chris. I guess you didn’t know, you’re very prolific.

5. Chris Weig says:

You forgot one:

Weig, Chris. 2012. “Das Open-Source-Modell als Theorie mittlerer Reichweite für die Beschreibung der Gegenwartsgesellschaft (The Open Source Model as Middle-Range Theory for the Description of Contemporary Society)”.

Will appear in “Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie”.

6. kozmcrae says:

A partial listing from the library of Chris Weig.

“Your Freedom is My Failure” by Chris Weig.

“Why I Find Persecution in Every Word, Phrase and Syllable” By Chris Weig.

“My Guilt is My Passion” by Chris Weig.

“Wrong is My Right” by Chris Weig.

“The Wreck of the English Sentence” by Chris Weig.

“Pretzel Logic: Baked In” by Chris Weig.

7. Chris Weig wrote, “Why don’t you write a textbook, Bob? It’s not as if you lack time. “

Having finished almost all of the tweaks on the old homestead, I do have more time to call my own. Projects I work on in addition to the blog these days:

• A presentation to schools which is almost ready. It describes the current situation of IT in schools, how GNU/Linux can help and how to get started using GNU/Linux.
    • My greenhouse. I am about half done the welding. I need to assemble it this week for winter is rapidly approaching. Yesterday as I welded, a herd/flock of geese, that had been nibbling lawns in my neighbourhood all day, increased their distance as I made a few more parts.
    • I continue to work on my riding lawn mower and the roto-tiller. The mower has a problem with its battery-charging system. I built a battery-charger to compensate and the 27 year old pile of junk still whacks grass. The new roto-tiller died at the end of its first season and Sears has dispatched a technician to check it out. It’s still under warranty. I hope they honour that. I have demonstrated my ability to keep stuff running for decades and I do lubricate and fuel things properly. The failed transmission looks like a worm-drive which should be foolproof assuming it was lubricated in the factory… The manual states it should not need any service by the consumer.
    • I have been thinking about a PC importation/distribution business but writing a book might be more fitting my talents. I could write a primer on using GNU/Linux in education or a textbook for high school courses. Some of my techniques/lessons are quite unique and revolutionary according to all accounts. I have, for instance, turned students loose on a whole computer lab with screwdrivers and a vacuum cleaner and lived to tell the tale… I also taught students how to assemble/disassemble ATX PCs and to swap/replace parts. Parents were rather startled by the new knowledge students acquired. That’s just an innovative interpretation of the curriculum (basic operation and nomenclature…) but it really empowers students. I also taught students how to install GNU/Linux and how to use GNU/Linux in magical (to those without understanding) results.
    • I plan to hunt deer in November. Plans are not finalized. You’d think it would be pretty easy considering the depredation by deer in my own yard but government makes so many rules and they change them year by year… If it weren’t for the little woman, I would be living in a neighbourhood that would accept me shooting deer from the doorstep. There are lots of sparsely-populated regions of Canada where an old man like me could retire.

Chris Weig
    That topic is well and truly covered.

9. Chris Weig says:

Why don’t you write a textbook, Bob? It’s not as if you lack time. Its title could be:

“How and Why to Hate Microsoft: An Introductory Textbook”

This reminds me of why I hate IEEE’s paywall. You pay to join then you pay to download articles or standards.