Asus IS BACK! 8-))

Remember all those who said GNU/Linux was dead on the netbook and the netbook itself was dead? They were premature. ASUS is back in the market. Not only are they shipping a netbookish machine they are selling it side-by-side with GNU/Linux and “8”.

see ASUS Announce 2 New Windows 8 Laptops, Both Available With Ubuntu.

Here are some comparables

F201E “8” Ubuntu GNU/Linux
white 4gB 500gB

KX066H 359 €

KX066DU 299 €

see ads at Amazon.de

What’s special about this is that a consumer can actually see what the OS is costing by subtracting the prices of two identical models of hardware and it’s 60€ for that other OS more than GNU/Linux. This allows the consumer a choice which has often been denied for more than a decade. It’s about time.

Won’t it be fun to wait until October 26 to see which sells better? Did you notice that the Ubuntu GNU/Linux version will not be sold until “8” is released? One last nod to M$….

Expect to see more competition for retail space in 2012 and beyond.

About Robert Pogson

I am a retired teacher in Canada. I taught in the subject areas where I have worked for almost forty years: maths, physics, chemistry and computers. I love hunting, fishing, picking berries and mushrooms, too.
This entry was posted in technology and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Asus IS BACK! 8-))

  1. ram says:

    ASUS will be back when they offer motherboards that are certified to run Linux.

    Likewise, why don’t they put Linux preinstalled on some of their larger notebooks?

    Nope, I don’t trust them.

  2. Chris Weig says:

    Interesting you should mention padded cells.

    You don’t have to keep it a secret that you live in one. Just be open about it, K. The world can cope with deranged FLOSS cultists.

  3. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “I wonder what life is like in your padded cell, kozmcrae. Should I come visit you?”

    Interesting you should mention padded cells.

  4. Chris Weig says:

    Still putting words in our mouthes. Expressing our inner most thoughts for us. You are a real piece of work Chris. A real wacko!

    I wonder what life is like in your padded cell, kozmcrae. Should I come visit you?

  5. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “No, it isn’t true. True believers like you indeed think that every piece of FLOSS is perfect. Bob even thinks FLOSS cures cancer. Much better than holy water.”

    Still putting words in our mouthes. Expressing our inner most thoughts for us. You are a real piece of work Chris. A real wacko!

  6. kurkosdr says:

    they could ship clean hard drives cheaper.

    This is how it was and is actually done for small local OEMs. You tell the OEM (if there is any and isn’t the store itsef doing the assembly) to leave the hard drive blank, and then you typically install pirated Windows.

    But you know, major and global OEMs have to be less obvious and pretend they actually give an OS with the PC. So they install Ubuntu which costs $0, and the result is the same. I had bought the fairy tale too. You know, the one that says that Chinese users, unencumbered by Windows legacy software, happily embrace Ubuntu. Then I saw an Acer Ubuntu PC that had a winmodem that wasn’t even supported by the OS, and I said “I see what you did there”. Ubuntu was there to pretend they give an OS. HP is doing the same, by offering computers with FreeDOS. Should we also assume there are millions of FreeDOS users out there, that somehow don’t show up in the stats?

    There is also the case people buy Ubuntu PCs, get frustrated that it doesn’t have the apps they want and the fact upgrades break every six months, and decide to install warez Windows.

  7. That Exploit Guy says:

    @oiaohm

    ‘Toshiba technical support recognise the Linux default hardware diagnostic tools. They don’t recognise any one the ones that come default with Windows.’

    I know its your modus operandi to lie about things and then lie even more about things to cover up your previous lies, but c’mon now – Toshiba tech support only recognises diagnostic tools that come standard with the unit. For a Windows machines, the diagnostic tools are simply Windows-based, not Linux-based. What the tech support does not recognise, however, is the tools you find in your average Linux distro. No “ifs”, no “buts” – just no.

  8. oiaohm says:

    Chris Weig Toshiba is not the only OEM maker that to get warranty without major headaches you have to use their image to have their tools with Windows or use Linux.

    The idea of the general OEM/retail disc does not fly. Since if the hardware is defective you have to reinstall the OEM image or pay for them to reinstall the OEM image or use Linux.

    Chris Weig I hate it because I very much don’t have a choice. Its the OEM way or the high way. This is all because windows hardware diagnostic tools are that poor OEM’s don’t respect them.

  9. oiaohm says:

    Chris Weig –Why don’t you just use a regular install medium to do a clean install? You shouldn’t blame Microsoft for your inefficiency.–

    Would other than the fact you are now missing the Toshiba tools for warranty.

    Toshiba technical support recognise the Linux default hardware diagnostic tools. They don’t recognise any one the ones that come default with Windows.

  10. Chris Weig says:

    Everyone who uses anything hates something about it. If they don’t they are not trueful.

    Hate? There are mild annoyances to be found in Windows, too. I’m not ignorant of them. But I don’t hate them. They’re just not important enough to devote such intense feelings to them.

    Honestly, if you have a product which does, let’s say, 95% of what you want it to do, but then you find yourself constantly hating it because of the 5% you don’t like, then this shows me that you are either not well mentally or you have misjudged your own requirements and bought a wrong product.

    Okay, a real annoyance then. The Japanese IMEs in Windows don’t honor your local keyboard layout. Fixable via registry or adapting one’s thinking a bit.

    Really what pisses me off the most with Windows is like a brand new Toshiba laptop with Windows. 2.5 hours before you can login with Windows then you have to make the restoration discs and remove preinstalled crapware to get to a workable machine.

    Why don’t you just use a regular install medium to do a clean install? You shouldn’t blame Microsoft for your inefficiency.

  11. oiaohm says:

    Chris Weig see you did not talk about one real problem.

    You just proved my point Chris Weig you are a troll.

    Everyone who uses anything hates something about it. If they don’t they are not trueful.

    Really what pisses me off the most with Windows is like a brand new Toshiba laptop with Windows. 2.5 hours before you can login with Windows then you have to make the restoration discs and remove preinstalled crapware to get to a workable machine.

    Nothing pisses me off more than have to waste insane amount of time getting a new machine working.

    Or I can insert Linux company image deployment and be done in 32 mins flat.

  12. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “I have lots of problems with Windows as you can clearly see.”

    Gee Chris, that was really clever how you listed those Windows problems that really weren’t problems at all. And how you compared them to their Linux counterparts, genius! I think you may be getting this commenting business down finally. Yep, I think you may be on a roll. On a roll. That’s the ticket.

  13. Chris Weig says:

    But MS trolls like you Chris Weig want to avoid talking about MS imperfections.

    I never stated that Microsoft’s software has no imperfections. For example, I don’t like Windows 7’s default color scheme; it doesn’t look ugly enough, like the default color scheme of every Linux desktop environment. No transparent terminal is also annoying, because I can’t see the porn in my browser underneath. Windows’ audio stack is also too sane for me, I need more abstraction layers.

    I have lots of problems with Windows as you can clearly see.

  14. kurkosdr wrote, “local OEMs in China and Eastern Europe are offering Ubuntu PCs (so that they can be wiped clean and have pirated Windows installed on them), and this reduces the price by a few bucks, and global OEMs like Dell have to follow suit and offer Ubuntu PCs in those areas, in order to compete price-wise”

    That makes no sense at all. They could ship clean hard drives cheaper. Why bother to put anything on them? If it’s just part of testing, they could boot PXE, test the drives/interfaces and leave it clean. There’s no rational basis for shipping an OS if it’s to be over-written. Besides, the resident trolls say GNU/Linux has overwhelming hardware issues so it would not work anyway and M$ could go after them for patent-violation and other FUD… (extreme sarcasm!!!)

  15. kurkosdr says:

    @Pog
    What I meant is that local OEMs in China and Eastern Europe are offering Ubuntu PCs (so that they can be wiped clean and have pirated Windows installed on them), and this reduces the price by a few bucks, and global OEMs like Dell have to follow suit and offer Ubuntu PCs in those areas, in order to compete price-wise

    kurkosdr the last 4 years the percentage of full time paid to those who are volunteer has flipped on ear.
    This could also mean that there are very few volunteers working on X11. Post the absolute numbers of professional and volunteers working on X, and compare them to the number of people working on Quartz (OS X’s graphics stack) and WDDM.

  16. oiaohm wrote, “Yes redhat has started supporting desktops. Just the server provided form. Again they need the desktop to work perfectly for desktops provided from server.”

    Exactly. RedHat supports servers and a good server makes a better desktop experience for multiple users of thin clients than any COTS desktop running that other OS. I have seen that many times. People have fallen off their chairs, startled by how snappy their ancient PCs appear when interacting with a good GNU/Linux terminal server. That’s a huge advantage for users but it’s even bigger for system administrators who can maintain many times fewer boxes when robust/embedded thin clients are used instead of fragile/thick clients. RedHat was involved in my first GNU/Linux computer lab in schools with the K12LTSP distro. Now many distros incorporate LTSP and any teacher or student can set up a lab with a few clicks and one additional NIC (optional but preferred).

    RedHat and IBM have helped many organizations roll out huge numbers of GNU/Linux thin clients. It should be the default option for every desktop PC roll-out even in a home with as few as one PC. Some of the advantages of LTSP do not occur with just one seat but you do get a roomier, cooler and quieter workplace if the server is elsewhere. Even for a few PCs, LTSP is much easier to administer. For hundreds or thousands, nothing else makes sense unless full-screen video is standard. Many businesses and organizations function on text and pictures and only occasional video, so it works for them.

  17. oiaohm says:

    Chris Weig reality most FOSS people don’t really think FOSS is perfect.

    But MS trolls like you Chris Weig want to avoid talking about MS imperfections.

    –True believers like you indeed think that every piece of FLOSS is perfect.–

    kozmcrae has raised bugs in FOSS in the past.

    Some issues have no current base. Like the volunteer and X11 something changed in the last 4.

    Chris Weig you are attempt to attack people without facts.

  18. Chris Weig says:

    You must get tired waiting for us to say something like that.

    Never. Waiting for ludicrous statements from FLOSS trolls is fun.

    Something like “Ubuntu is perfect”. You can’t help yourself so you say it for us. No thank you Chris. We did not say that and for good reason. No one can say that about any OS. Isn’t that true Chris.

    No, it isn’t true. True believers like you indeed think that every piece of FLOSS is perfect. Bob even thinks FLOSS cures cancer. Much better than holy water.

  19. oiaohm says:

    kurkosdr the last 4 years the percentage of full time paid to those who are volunteer has flipped on ear. So requesting money for X11 is not required.

    Lot of what is wayland will be merged into X11. Including the deprecation of glx to be replaced with egl. Yes this was decided at the 2012 conference.

  20. oiaohm says:

    kurkosdr its call saturation point. To get more server space Linux now has to start taking the desktop space. So no pay for desktop does not matter.

    http://www.redhat.com/products/virtualization/desktop/

    Yes redhat has started supporting desktops. Just the server provided form. Again they need the desktop to work perfectly for desktops provided from server.

    –What am I trying to say is that, unless someone manages to make *significant* money from Desktop Linux AND pushes some of that money towards X.org or PulseAudio, Desktop Linux isn’t going anywhere. It will always be some guys hacking an ancient, misdesigned codebase (X.org) or overambitious projects going nowhere (PulseAudio, Wayland).–

    Really Wayland is the result of significant money going into X11. Wayland is to work out what X11 should become.

    http://www.youtube.com/phoronix

    Wayland is not overambitious. kurkosdr wayland is designed that X11 can run on top of wayland and wayland can run on top of X11.

    Waffle is coming along well. This should allow unified binary to be about to output graphics on GNU/Linux(x11 and wayland) Android/Linux and Windows.

    kurkosdr X.org 80 percent+ of current developers working there are not volunteer.

    So X.org is not the volunteer model.

    PulseAudio yes it does need some funding. Most of the current full time developers are being set into ALSA.

  21. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “But simply pretend that Ubuntu is perfect. That will make the bugs go away.”

    Chris Weig has to put the fallacies in our mouthes for us because we wont say them for him. You must get tired waiting for us to say something like that. Something like “Ubuntu is perfect”. You can’t help yourself so you say it for us. No thank you Chris. We did not say that and for good reason. No one can say that about any OS. Isn’t that true Chris.

  22. Chris Weig wrote, “simply pretend that Ubuntu is perfect. That will make the bugs go away.”

    I recommend Debian GNU/Linux. A lot of distros copy them and for good reason. It works.

  23. kurkosdr wrote, “Linux Desktop with it’s X.org and PulseAudio making my life miserable?”

    I run both and have no problem. I don’t need Wine either.

  24. kurkosdr wrote, “How are they making money from Desktop Linux?”

    Any PC sold makes money for an OEM regardless of the OS. M$ artificially raises the price of those PCs so an OEM selling PCs with M$’s stuff may well be selling fewer PCs. OEMs do get a cut of the fee for the licence to M$ but the OEM is essentially doing M$’s work and M$ is getting money for nothing. OEMs know that and with GNU/Linux they can concentrate on building and shipping PCs at lower prices and expanding their margins. i.e. if I am an OEM I can sell a unit for $200 and make $40 with GNU/Linux or I can sell it for $300 and make $90 with that other OS, but I may be able to sell two or three GNU/Linux boxes for each with M$’s stuff. Look what happened with smart phones. A product went from a few tens of millions of units sold per annum to hundreds of millions sold per annum with FLOSS. OEMs can make more margin on small machines, too, because there’s less material and labour and shipping costs. So, OEMs evolved from ATX desktop to notebook to tablet to smartphone and made higher margin as they used less of M$’s stuff. OEMs are only concerned with “will it sell?”. They are finding that FLOSS sells.

    Margins are higher for FLOSS PCs as well because OEMs don’t have to spend money on tight security to comply with NDAs, audits to prove volumes, malware, and OEMs don’t have to make M$ happy. All of those are blessings. The only reason OEMs don’t switch over promptly is that retailers have not yet awakened to the fact that they could be selling GNU/Linux PCs instead of not selling M$’s stuff which is what is happening now to a degree. I expect in the coming year most retailers and OEMs will start selling GNU/Linux and making more money.

  25. kurkosdr wrote, “OEMs sell Ubuntu laptops in China and Eastern Europe so they can be wiped clean and have pirated Windows installed on them. This saves a few bucks from the final price… Because, you know, that’s what local OEMs do there and they have to compete.”

    Dell is not local. Dell is global. The lie that in USA there are few computer geeks so consumers don’t install GNU/Linux while in China everyone is a computer geek and can install that other OS over GNU/Linux is rather tired.

  26. kurkosdr says:

    Linux server has support = Linux server has the support subscriptions as a way of making money

  27. kurkosdr says:

    Canonical is shipping Ubuntu on a significant percentage of PCs now and plans to keep increasing that share.

    OEMs sell Ubuntu laptops in China and Eastern Europe so they can be wiped clean and have pirated Windows installed on them. This saves a few bucks from the final price… Because, you know, that’s what local OEMs do there and they have to compete. But anyway, let’s pretend I didn’t say that and Canonical is shipping Ubuntu in a significant percentage of PCs there.

    Tell that to Canonical, RedHat, Suse, IBM, Dell, and a bunch of other OEMs who are making tons of money on GNU/Linux.

    How? How are they making money from Desktop Linux? This stuff is free, and unlike what happens on the server, do you really think anyone buys support for a desktop OS? Shuttleworth probably managed to get a few peanuts from Yahoo and Amazon, which will most likely piss them towards his treasured Unity. So we are back to square zero.

    What am I trying to say is that, unless someone manages to make *significant* money from Desktop Linux AND pushes some of that money towards X.org or PulseAudio, Desktop Linux isn’t going anywhere. It will always be some guys hacking an ancient, misdesigned codebase (X.org) or overambitious projects going nowhere (PulseAudio, Wayland).
    What you folks don’t understand is that, the volunteer model works perfectly for small open source projects (VLC, Handbrake, OpenShot etc). But for big projects like graphics stacks, volunteers will get you to somewhere like 60% (i am being nice here). So, you will have to find a way to make money to pay programmers to make the rest 40%.

    Linux server has support, and this is why money is flowing towards kernel development and the linux kernel is doing well. Android has Google. Both of these are perfectly acceptable Linux products I use (or have used) happily. But Linux Desktop with it’s X.org and PulseAudio making my life miserable? No. http://xkcd.com/963/

    To recap: A good Linux desktop wouldn’t need WINE.

  28. Chris Weig says:

    Good thing Chris Weig speaks for Chris Weig.

    Indeed. Most recent example: a Chinese friend comes to me with her laptop running Ubuntu 12.04, says she can’t type Chinese any longer. Sure enough ibus’s GUI was gone. For no discernible reason at all it likes to quit by itself more often than not. Mind you, the daemon is still active, so you can actually input Chinese, but only blind. So I had to show here how to quit all ibus processes and restart ibus. A usability nightmare. And Ubuntu has a great many of these, because Canonical like to put in many new things but are either too lazy to do away with the bugs or lack the manpower to do so.

    But simply pretend that Ubuntu is perfect. That will make the bugs go away.

  29. kozmcrae says:

    Chris Weig wrote:

    “Ubuntu? Nice, but Ubuntu still sucks.”

    Good thing Chris Weig speaks for Chris Weig.

  30. ssorbom says:

    My point about WINE was that people aren’t going to want to change what they think works well for them. Native ports of proprietary apps will help adoption of GNU/Linux. I think Steam is going in the right direction (which, wouldn’t you know it, occurred because of dissatisfaction with Windows 8). Now, I don’t like Steam, but plenty do, and if the experience is better on GNU\Linux systems, that could be the major shift in users that the community has been looking for. Now really would be a good time for GNU/Linux to take the lead. I am uncertain that will happen though because people have been proclaiming “The year of the Linux Desktop” for a looong time, apparently.

  31. Chris Weig says:

    Strange Dell, ASUS and others are shipping 12.04. You should tell them they don’t know how to run their business.

    I don’t care what they are shipping their few computers which have fallen onto the street from their trucks with. They ship them with Ubuntu? Nice, but Ubuntu still sucks.

  32. Chris Weig wrote of Ubuntu GNU/Linux, “It was quite alright (as alright as Linux can be) up until 10.04. But all subsequent versions have been simply horrendous.”

    Strange Dell, ASUS and others are shipping 12.04. You should tell them they don’t know how to run their business. Ubuntu GNU/Linux is on about half of all GNU/Linux PCs. Growth is about +50% per annum. Canonical and Dell can make sweet deals but consumers have to hunt them down and choose them unlike that other OS… Computer geeks have expressed their disdain of Ubuntu’s new interface but consumers don’t seem to mind at all. They get an OS at a decent price.

  33. Chris Weig says:

    One of the reason Canonical leads from the front is that they don’t want bad things to happen to the user interface. Canonical is shipping Ubuntu on a significant percentage of PCs now and plans to keep increasing that share. They can’t do that if things are broken.

    Given the fact that Ubuntu is probably the most broken distro out there, that’s a funny statement. But you are a funny man, Bob. Not even the Debian base can save Ubuntu from being a disaster of epic proportions. It was quite alright (as alright as Linux can be) up until 10.04. But all subsequent versions have been simply horrendous.

  34. ssorbom wrote, “I hope that “smartphone” UI is not the way of the future for desktops. (Ahem) Unity (Ahem).”

    I agree. Ubuntu, however, has real traction with Dell in emerging markets and Europe. I think ordinary consumers can live with it. Sophisticated computer geeks can change the user-interface at will or even change distro if they need to. Having Ubuntu on a shipping computer gives a lot of assurance of compatibility. Still, Ubuntu GNU/Linux as issued is OK for consumers. OEMs can choose an older LTS version, too, keeping familiarity of rectangular windows. I have two instances in my home and I curse the windows widgets every time I use them… Others could care less… 😉

    If Dell shows other OEMs that GNU/Linux works for them, they will be more serious and will give Canonical and others feedback about the user-interface. I expect the whole world will be rioting and demanding rectangular regions of the screen with widgets in the top-right next year. Many distros will comply. My favourite distro, Debian GNU/Linux already has lots of choices. I choose xdm, xfwm4 and xfce4.

  35. kozmcrae says:

    Agent_Smith wrote:

    “You are honest in your critics. Can’t say they are wrong. But PulseAudio is working now (since it past version 1.0, it became a lot more usable).”

    I had to remove Pulse Audio from my Mint/Kubuntu 13 installation because it wasn’t working properly. I’m using ALSA now and I’m quite happy with it. I don’t know what the story is with Pulse but I suspect it will be a long time before it’s ready for professional sound work on Linux. I’m talking years.

  36. kurkosdr wrote, “what you Linux folks don’t understand is that even when you use WINE, you still have to use X.org and PulseAudio, and hence be vulnerable to all their back compat breakages. The moving target for WINE is actually not Windows but Linux itself.”

    M$ goes out of its way to introduce more features to its API year after year so that Wine always has a moving target and without access to source code has to catch up always. The GNU/Linux environment is a peaceful morning in the park by comparison.

  37. kozmcrae says:

    ssorbom wrote:

    “I don’t know… Microsoft still has a lot of inertia behind it…” Yes they do and the majority of it is pointed in the wrong direction.

    kurkosdr wrote:

    “How? How has WINE gotten better lately?” Who cares about WINE? GNU/Linux is about abandoning Microsoft, not inviting it back into our lives.

    With Microsoft’s OS, 359, same computer with GNU/Linux 299. Another side by side comparison. Or, another computer where you have to “pay” for Microsoft’s operating system. What happened? It used to be free! I’ll tell you what happened. Moore’s Law meets FLOSS, that’s what happened.

  38. kurkosdr wrote, “Linux Desktop is of no financial interest to anyone, so the X.org and PulseAudio dudes are free to break compatibility at will. “

    Tell that to Canonical, RedHat, Suse, IBM, Dell, and a bunch of other OEMs who are making tons of money on GNU/Linux. One of the reason Canonical leads from the front is that they don’t want bad things to happen to the user interface. Canonical is shipping Ubuntu on a significant percentage of PCs now and plans to keep increasing that share. They can’t do that if things are broken. Also, several distros are big enough that they can steer the directions of developers. ie. if your stuff breaks we won’t include it… There are alternatives for every part of GNU/Linux. Even the kernel has a bunch of releases and distros can choose one driver or another, one file-system or another etc. One of the beauties of FLOSS is that no single entity controls everything so that anyone not doing the job can be replaced.

  39. oiaohm says:

    Agent_Smith go watch the recent X11 conference videos. The plan is set down. X11 will become more wayland like.

  40. oiaohm says:

    kurkosdr In fact wine behaviour of what application works and does not is mostly linked to Wine version. Doing support on wine you can almost completely disregard the distribution.

    Minor things like if the distribution uses compositing or pulseaudio are it.

    There are a few cases of a few package maintainers doing stupid things like applying third party patches.

    X.org if you go threw bug list have basically caused wine zero issues that were not universal across distributions.

    Video driver failures with X11 also have been fairly rare and very much every distribution the same way.

    kurkosdr long term plan is glx coveted to legacy support. EGL for everything under Linux. Even EGL when using X11 server. EGL is behind android.

    kurkosdr lot of the graphical track to the fact Linux could only get X11 drivers mostly designed for other Unix platforms. Android has allowed Linux to break free of that.

    X.org breakages in compatibility have been required as part of the process of cleaning the dead out.

    kurkosdr reality the X.org issues have not been very bad. Annoying is being suck with X.org API/ABI that is basically 10+ years old and not really designed for modern day. GLX is really not suitable todo anything nice modern and stable.

    Pulseaudio of course seams bad as well. Until you wake up it killed off artsd and esound and other sound servers. Progress has been going in the right direction just not fast enough.

  41. Agent_Smith says:

    @ kurkosdr,

    You are honest in your critics. Can’t say they are wrong. But PulseAudio is working now (since it past version 1.0, it became a lot more usable).
    And Xorg, well, Xorg needs a make over indeed.
    But, I don’t think this makeover will be Wayland.

  42. kurkosdr says:

    And before I get called a “Winbred”, Linux is good at the server, because the CLI and kernel API of Linux is in fact stable. The reason Linux is big in supercomputers and servers is because these are headless, and hence don’t need a sound and graphics stack.

    Also, the reason Linux’s CLI and kernel API is stable is because it is of financial interest of RedHat and IBM, and RedHat and IBM will spank the Linux devs with a wooden plank if they ever dare break it (or cut the funding). Instead, Linux Desktop is of no financial interest to anyone, so the X.org and PulseAudio dudes are free to break compatibility at will. *sigh*

    Just move to Android. By an Asus Transformer or Nexus 7. You know, it’s like Linux, but without the X.org and PulseAudio garbage.

  43. kurkosdr says:

    “and as good as WINE has gotten lately, it can’t do everything.”

    How? How has WINE gotten better lately? There still isn’t a list of Windows API functions that are guaranteed to work no matter what, so developers can code using those and target both systems (Windows and Linux). The result? Windows apps that work in one distro do not work in the other. Even if a Windows API call has been “implemented”, there is still no guarantee it will work in your particular distro.

    See, what you Linux folks don’t understand is that even when you use WINE, you still have to use X.org and PulseAudio, and hence be vulnerable to all their back compat breakages. The moving target for WINE is actually not Windows but Linux itself.

    Which brings us to the big conclusion. The linux community have to build a stable graphics and sound stack (aka one NOT based in X.org and pulseaudio) first, aka make a stable API for Linux that people can code for without worrying if their apps will break in 6 months, before making a glue-and-matchsticks implementation of someone else’s API.

    But no, this is Linux, let’s do eveything backwards and let’s try to build a car (userland apps) without having build the chassis (API) first, by welding the bodywork panels together. The result? Of course it falls apart (apps break after the upgrade, X.org breaks GPUs etc)

  44. ssorbom says:

    Won’t it be fun to wait until October 26 to see which sells better?

    I don’t know… Microsoft still has a lot of inertia behind it, even if Windows 8 is a flop. People normally don’t like changing software they are used to, and as good as WINE has gotten lately, it can’t do everything. All the same I have my fingers crossed. I hate what I have seen of Metro, and I hope that “smartphone” UI is not the way of the future for desktops. (Ahem) Unity (Ahem).

Leave a Reply