Veriton N – What That Other OS Really Costs

Acer shows side-by-side Veriton N with GNU/Linux and with that other OS “Pro”. Want to spend 67% more for the same hardware and functionality? Pay M$ $160 for a PC worth about $240.

see Veriton N | Models.

Don’t you wish consumers everywhere had similar choices on retail shelves? Instead the cowardly monopolist hides its price in bundles, fearing competition, and governments allow it.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Veriton N – What That Other OS Really Costs

1. Chris Weig says:

You have just declared yourself an idiot. You do not pay attention and you certainly are not really reading these posts. You have never seen me write “M$” and you have never seen me accuse you or anyone who advocates for Microsoft as a paid shill. Never. You fail Chris Weig. You fail at reading. You fail at comprehension.

But you know that English has a plural, too, don’t you? When I wrote “you” I meant “you”. All of you. Because you’re a cult, and it’s not necessary to treat you as if you were distinct personalities. You’re all part of the unified Cult of FLOSS.

2. kozmcrae says:

Chris Weig wrote:

“You always were a cult.”

There were no references to FLOSS as a cult in the past decade but there were for Microsoft. There was and is, however, a constant effort to associate FLOSS with religious overtones. That is part of a wider effort to promote uncertainty about FLOSS. It isn’t working though. Municipalities, organizations and governments large and small are migrating over to FLOSS at an accelerating rate.

Chris Weig wrote:

“As for creativity, I don’t see much of it when you write “M$” and declare us paid shills.”

You just come here to spew your own crap and to hell with whatever anyone else has to say. That is the truth of the matter. You have falsely accused me of something. Are you going to retract that accusation? I suspect not. But you should know by now that when I say I didn’t say those things, I’m telling the truth.

You know, this is not the first time I have been accused of saying something that I did not say. I just set oldman straight earlier today or yesterday. And it has happened another one or two times before. Nobody else around here seems to get accused of saying things they never said.

If anyone else gets it in their head that I said something they didn’t like. Better check first. So far the accusers are not batting that well.

3. Chris Weig wrote, “The whole of FLOSS, especially the Stallmanian movement, has been described in religious terms since way back.”

That’s nonsense. FLOSS is about technology. The good/evil business is just the basic premise widely used in constitutional and other law.
    “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” The British supposedly held similar beliefs but were willing to kill to suppress it in the colonies…
    That there is a philosophy underlying something does not make it a cult nor a religion. FLOSS is a very practical and natural way of doing IT. Indeed, by its nature, one can use it without understanding the licence or philosophy at all because the licence accompanies the code, source and binary.

RMS is also apparently atheistic…

Also, what kind of cult encourages bug reports?

4. Chris Weig says:

Too bad you copy your best substance from us. You rarely come up with anything good yourself. You know, like we weren’t a cult until after you were. You just copied us calling you a cult. No creativity there.

You always were a cult. The whole of FLOSS, especially the Stallmanian movement, has been described in religious terms since way back. I assumed you knew this, so I didn’t bother to mention it explicitly. But it seems you need to be reminded of it.

As for creativity, I don’t see much of it when you write “M$” and declare us paid shills. These very subtle jokes have a very long beard.

5. kozmcrae says:

Chris Weig wrote:

“And I can even express in it something which has substance…”

6. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘That Exploit Guy the link you have quoted is old and wrong.’

The article cited in my last comment was from today, Australian Eastern Standard Time. Instead of insisting on misrepresenting your own source, why not try reading up on the subject matter for once?

That Exploit guy you need better quality sources really on this. The ones you are pulling are crap.

That Exploit Guy and you will not give up your moron either. Microsoft has also released next years prices after the discounting ends and those are what I am looking at. Best buy has printed the full price list for everything.

Non discounted upgrade is 69 dollars.

PS newegg has something wrong.

That Exploit Guy the link you have quoted is old and wrong. Full price for clean install is released. 100 for the replacement for home and 140 for pro. There is no difference now between Retail and OEM with windows 8.

Yes sign that you link is bogus. –Microsoft has not yet announced the price of the full software to install from scratch, as opposed to the upgrade.–
    These prices have been fully announced. Of course some twits will be looking for a full retail version that is not going to exist.

In a place like Australia do you think Retail full versions of Windows sold. In fact they never had. Why because due to our competition laws anyone can just by the OEM versions.

Windows 8 brings the world into alignment.

Yes the insanity of the 199 dollar idea is that you are talking about making the upgrade worth more than buying the OEM disc that is legal under Windows 8.

That Exploit guy the licensing has changed lot of reporters are stuffing up on what is going on.

Yes newegg has deleted the link that says the pricing would go up to $199 since its not true. You will find the ones with reference links that the reference links are now broken.

Your links are out of date they were out of date when I posted. That Exploit guy.

9. That Exploit Guy says:

@JR

Your comment … [1]

‘Like I said, here starts the slanging match, which, as you by now know by now, I am not prepared to get into.’

A “match” would imply the reciprocation of an action between two parties. Here, the appropriate description should be just “slagging”, and I think it is only fitting as an outcome for the kind of evasiveness you are showing here.

‘I am an anti anti-advoacate, and I am expressly against opinions made by anti-advocates of Linux and FLOSS, but only and I repeat only when on giving their opinions they intentionally or inadvertantly give a false impression of the true state of affairs’

What I think is ironic is that rather than drawing attention away from yourself as you have already attempted several times before in this one single conversation, you are only further strengthening my point that what you care here is not the misrepresentation of a state of affairs itself, but whether a state of affairs is misrepresented by a certain side of an argument. Let’s face it – no one is immune to bias, and no one can reasonably expect you to be perfectly unbiased, but rather than to be upfront about your personal prejudice, you have simply decided to either dance around the subject or make such transparent attempts to turn the attention towards the accusers of your bias, and that is simply pathetic.

‘Surely windows updates are in a repository.?’

Remember what I said about “transparent attempts”.

Now, to anwser your “question”, may I direct you to this comment where I pointed out the primary difference between Windows Update and a Linux repository, that a Linux repository is “a pool of packages trickled down from third-party sources at a glacial pace and mangled by someone who barely has the time to read or understand the [source] code before it arrives at your end of the funnel”, and unless you are suggesting that Microsoft is also making their own clumsy attempts at distributing non-Microsoft software via Windows Update by hacking and compiling a vast collection of source code from ISV that they barely have time to read, I think it’s quite safe to conclude that you have missed my point.

‘Forgive my ignorance here but was this not how the flame virus entered the windows ecosystem.?’

Flame virus works by pointing Windows Update to an untrusted source (via MitM attack) and masquerating its vector (i.e the bogus update package) with a fake certificate obtained from a collision attack against the private key of the MS LSRA PA certificate authority. Unless you have somehow misunderstood the way Flame virus works, I simply don’t see any relevant between this and, say, a maintainer of a Linux distro messing up a package by attempting to apply his/her own hack.

[1] As different from “some voice from behind the refrigerator”. I still ain’t sure it is truly necessary to emphasize such bleeding obvious, however.

10. JR says:

@ That Exploit Guy

Your comment ……

“It’s just that being a self-absorbed egg-head is not strictly speaking everyone’s favourite past-time.”

Your Comment…..

“Let me get this straight here – I am an anti-advocate, and I am expressly against Linux and FLOSS advocacy.”

Right! let me try and categorise myself as you have done.

only when on giving their opinions they intentionally or inadvertantly give a false impression of the true state of affairs,
    and in doing so would have the effect of misleading a casual reader.

An example:

Which, I might add, you never replied to.

@ That Exploit guy

With all due respect you site this example as a reason for your distaste of the Linux repository system …..

“I have made it amply clear of my distaste for Linux repository systems with an example (i.e. the Debian OpenSSL blunder).

Surely windows updates are in a repository.?

Or is it a totally different concept to the Linux repositories.?

Reference for the above:

11. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘The 40 and 15 dollar upgrade was mentioned here along with all the other prices.’

You just won’t give up, will ya moron?

@Robert Pogson

‘So, he’s not against GNU/Linux just people suggesting GNU/Linux be used. He’s against our freedom of speech.’

By all means, tell me as to how your freedom of speech is hindered by my presence then, Mr. Pogson.

Chris Weig really don’t be too up yourself. At times you are worse than me at english. Mind you I understand it.

Really I would not be too sure about the substance bit.

13. Chris Weig says:

Gee Chris, maybe you’re a robot. That would explain a lot. No thought. Knee jerk response. The only thing it wouldn’t explain are the spelling and grammatical errors.

Oh well, you know how it is, Germans and the English language… don’t be so harsh. At least I’m consoled by the fact that my English is better than some Australian Bushwacker’s.

And I can even express in it something which has substance, unlike you and your Cult of FLOSS, parroting ever the same old drivel (apologies to all real parrots).

That Exploit Guy really duplicate quoting a poor source of information that what I did.

–For manufacturers looking to install the software on new PCs, the consumer version of the operating system will cost $100, and the professional version will cost $140.–

My site is better references it has the terms and conditions of the short term upgrade.
    Contained link from my link describing that 40 and 15 dollar thing. zdnet is crap for providing references to back up what they say.

That Exploit Guy there are no boxed sets.

That Exploit Guy heck you complain about me for not providing references. You don’t quote zdnet if you are talking about quality referenced work.

Yes the 40 dollar upgrade does not make MS location better. 15 dollar upgrade is a little bit in MS advantage. Since historically people at change over would get a free upgrade voucher.

The 100 and 140 is the new retail prices with discs.

The 40 and 15 dollar compare to this:
    Microsoft Windows 8 Pro Pack – Product Key Card (no media) $69.99
    This is a full install key you can down load the windows 8 trial disc and use this to enable. Media-less solutions like the 40/15 dollars.

Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Upgrade is also by the MS price sheet only $69.99 Current Windows 7 professional upgrade is $78.00 This is down by 10 percent without discounts. Down by 50 percent with discounts.

That Exploit Guy no matter how you look at this. Microsoft per every unit of there OS they sell upgrade or full even after discounts end will be down a percentage. With discounts they are down even more.

That Exploit Guy my link contained bestbuy that has published the current OEM pricing. As per the OEM price sheet.

Get it I am complete disregarding the limited-time offers. I am looking at the long term price sheet. The ones that OEM have to buy from. Not the windows.com discount. It is price cuts across the board this is a company feeling pressure.

The limited time offers will not make Microsoft budget that many times better.

15. TEG wrote, admitting he is just a troll causing trouble, wrote, “I am an anti-advocate, and I am expressly against Linux and FLOSS advocacy.”

16. That Exploit Guy says:

@JR

‘Would you believe me if I said for the fun of it.’

Actually, I would say yes. If my guess is correct, then you are in fact more delighted to be where you are doing what you are doing.

‘No, not my intention.’

Sure not. Why would changing things that are already in the way you intended be part of your goal anyway?

‘Any chance of an answer?’

Oh, sure.

Let me get this straight here – I am an anti-advocate, and I am expressly against Linux and FLOSS advocacy. Being a person with such a stance in an Linux/FLOSS advocacy, do you seriously expect me to change anything here? I am here to express my opinion so that whoever here will be able to see not just opinions from advocates but also that of mine, perheps even in time enough to sway their view on certain subject matters. As a matter of fact, I don’t even think I have been in any way hiding my intention at all, but since unlike you, I am very upfront about my point of view, that’s why you are getting this explanation instead of something as ambiguous and opaque as “for the fun of it”.

17. JR says:

@ That Exploit Guy

Your question……

Then, by the same token, mind if I ask you why you are here at all?

Would you believe me if I said for the fun of it.

Have you changed anything on this site?

No, not my intention.

If you want to deflect my criticism of your motives, at least try less disingenuous than that.

I have answered your questions.

‘How long have you been posting here, has it made any difference at all?’

Any chance of an answer?

18. That Exploit Guy says:

@JR

‘How long have you been posting here, has it made any difference at all?’

Then, by the same token, mind if I ask you why you are here at all?

Have you changed anything on this site?

19. JR says:

@ That Exploit Guy

Fair enough I am selective in my comments but ask yourself this:

How long have you been posting here, has it made any difference at all?

Have you changed anything on this site. I don’t think so!

All I see are comments and counter comments that eventually end up in a slanging match.

To what avail? you tell me what you have achieved.

Have you achieved your goal?

I very much doubt it.

That Exploit Guy those prices are not limited time offers. They are the on going prices down 15-30 percent. Combined with 10 percent reduction in PC sales is all going to add up.

The 10 percent relates to when PC were about 3k each.

That Exploit Guy you are not a creditable source either.

21. That Exploit Guy says:

@oiaohm

‘That Exploit Guy by bill gates in fact who define that OS should be 10 percent of hardware price. Windows has not been that for years.’

Really? Where did you know that from? Did Bill Gates tell you that in person? Or was it shown to via a sign from heaven?

When will you learn that there is no way I am going to believe anything you say unless you can show me some credible source? (In case you don’t realise, “oiaohm” does not constitute a credible source.)

‘Does not matter Microsoft is felling the pressure.’

So are you telling me that every business doing a limited-time offer is “feeling the pressure”? And what “pressure” are you referring to to be exact? Just spare me your usual, made-up crap already.

22. That Exploit Guy says:

@JR

‘Has it never occurred to you that I might just be yanking his chain, and perhaps your’s for that matter too.?’

You are not answering my question:

‘So basically you think that to combat the bs about Microsoft, and Linux for that matter on this site is by spreading bs about Linux.’

Irrelevant. The only thing I am pointing out here is the fact that you have repeatedly ignored the many times Robert Pogson using examples that would be deemed unreasonable by your standard but chosen to criticise the one instance by someone who is not Robert Pogson where Linux – not Windows – is concerned. If it was your principle – not Linux – that you were defending, would you not also speak out against Robert Pogson for his “bs” as well?

23. kozmcrae says:

Chris Weig’s dead brain recycles other peoples’ posts:

“You got that wrong. No surprise there.”

Does not matter Microsoft is felling the pressure.
    Windows 8 prices.
    Windows 7 Prices.
    $100 windows 8 consumer is what was windows 7 home $119. So a cut per unit of about 15 percent.

Windows 8 pro $140 vs Windows 7 pro at $199 cut of about 30 percent.

Only light $70 business upgrade cost. So consumer $100 + $70 upgrade so the business upgrade now costs more than buying a machine with Windows Pro on it.

–Companies can pre-order Windows 8 for delivery on Oct. 26. Those who want to download the new operating system from Windows.com can do that for $40 until Jan. 31, 2013 if the computer is already running Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7.–
    Short term discount to get money in.

This also most likely means Windows RT will be less than 100 dollars.

That Exploit Guy Microsoft knows they are above market price. If they believed they were market price they would not be cutting.

As I said a long time ago. Linux does not have to beat Microsoft. Microsoft will beat themselves. Hardware price puts pressure on OS price. So resulting in Microsoft beating self up. Linux just has to be their to apply pressure to cause the bleeding to be worse.

Redhat has not had to be discounting support contracts.

Really don’t know if MS trolls were getting the basics that reduced price of unit equal the market has to expand by equal amount. I don’t see PC sales expanding 15-30 percent. So unless Windows RT really goes there is going to be a big hole in MS bottom line.

25. That Exploit Guy says:

Also, can you please tell me what exactly I am looking at here and how it is supposed to support your argument that Microsoft forces manufacturers to not ship machines with Linux preinstalled? It seems pretty obviously to me this is the exact opposite of the picture you have been trying to paint with all those decade-old documents from Groklaw.

26. JR says:

@ That Exploit Guy

Has it never occurred to you that I might just be yanking his chain,
    and perhaps your’s for that matter too.?

As regards that post of Clarence Moon’s that you are referring to here is my full reply

@ Clarence Moon

Thank you for your reply.

I have been researching the problem you had with Redhat linux and I see there are problems with detecting the CD drive in some distros of linux as there were with that version of Redhat Linux.

Most of the problems were solved with the mount command. Although I did not find a fix which required entering hexadecimal numbers.

Bios settings can also play a part in the detection.

If we are knocking OS’s here this may interest you regarding windows and non detection of the CD/DVD Drive.

and as you will notice it requires editing the registry, maybe not with hexadecimal numbers but the registry nevertheless which I think will not appeal to most users either.

Remember you pass comment here without substantiating it or putting it in perspective.
    ie. You say Linux and do not mention the distro that you had problems with.

Do you think that is fair.?

Perhaps you could also have read my full reply.

For what it is worth sit back and read the comments on this site from both sides of the spectrum and tell me what a casual observer would think.?

I also made it clear to Clarence Moon at the time that I am not a fanbooi of either Linux or Microsft but use both as fit for purpose.

I also do not have the time or patience to read walls of text.

OK my fault so for that I apologise.

As this is now a wall of text.

27. That Exploit Guy says:

@Robert Pogson

‘Exactly. It is crazy to pay far above the market value for an OS.’

How much exactly is this “market value”? And defined by whom?

28. lpbear wrote, “Use Linux, don’t pay some corrupt corporation like M$FT a single cent.”

Exactly. It is crazy to pay far above the market value for an OS. That other OS offers nothing that most people need for their daily IT: browsing, playing media, etc. There is an argument for various niches where most good software is M$-only but they are few and small like gaming which has only 10-15% of PCs. That diverse organizations like governments, schools, hospitals, military and police can use GNU/Linux and save money and get better performance is proof enough.

The market value of an OS is the lesser of what it costs to replace it, huge, the cost of FLOSS which is ~$0 for most of us or $hundreds per PC if you do everything M$’s way. M$ only sold on retail shelves the way it did because it’s the only OS there. Imagine how Oh Henry bars would do if they were the only bar on the shelf. That monopoly was granted by IBM and extended by exclusive dealing so that other OS is not in a free market.

29. lpbbear says:

“and pray tell what specimen are you ?”

He and all of his other Cult of Microsoft buddies are the monkeys, scratching their butts and plinging foo at anyone who dares blaspheme the great and powerful “OZ”.

Note how none of them so far have even admitted the price savings to consumers that is completely clear on the same computer in the ad when it is loaded with Linux instead of Winblows.

Nah, instead its all “don’t look there look over here” in all their posts which is their normal tactic in everything they post here.

Every last one of them are pathetic shills for the corporate pig.

Use Linux, don’t pay some corrupt corporation like M$FT a single cent.

30. That Exploit Guy says:

@JR

I am not exactly sure about Chris Weig, but I think “weasel” or “vulture” is a rather fitting analogue to your presence here.

Having read your past comments here, my conclusion is that you are, to some extent, a Linux or FOSS advocate but never want to be upfront about your standpoint due to the possibility of exposing yourself to criticism. Instead, you simply look for opportunities to nitpick at those on the opposite side in order to discredit them.

I’ll give you an example. Your comment refers…

‘Anyway be that as it may don’t you think that you are being a bit harsh by tarring Linux with the same brush from an experience you had 5 years ago with one distro namely Redhat Linux.’

Do you think it’s fair to launch such criticism at Clarence Moon while giving the most prominent offender here, Robert Pogson, a free pass? It seems terribly like you are not trying at all to introduce level-headed thinking here but rather to score cheap points from those who do not share the same side as yours, whatever it might be.

Don’t get me wrong here – I am just telling you what I am seeing, and, quite frankly, it does not speak well in behalf of your motives.

31. JR says:

@ Chris Weig

Your comment refers ……

“This blog is almost like a zoo.”

and pray tell what specimen are you ?

32. Chris Weig says:

Why is it that trolls and shills offer nothing in the way of constructive information or even a logical argument based on facts to support their ill-minded conclusion that Linux supposedly sucks, but fail to realize that the majority of the web uses it.

Why is it that dougman is too stupid to understand that the web is of no concern because the discussion revolves around Linux on the desktop where it has failed spectacularly for 20 years now?

You want to offer the old “If you’re using Google, you’re using Linux” argument again? Well, then I hope that you check every website before you visit it, as it could be served by Microsoft’s IIS.

One day all these trolls will wake up in unison and discover that water is truly wet and its freely available, wholesome and delicious.

The quality of the tap water in Germany is mostly excellent, I’m enjoying it every day.

I also stand by my prediction, that one day M$ will come out with its own Linux distribution or maybe something like Apple did with BSD.

You can stand by it, but it won’t happen.

Also, its a damn shame M$ does not release older code to the free-market for use, even when it’s not supported anymore.

That’s the typical FLOSS arrogance:

“Give us the code!”

And if someone doesn’t want to, he’s a traitor. Besides, you have too much unmaintained and buggy code in your precious FLOSS ecosystem as it is. Why do you want more code?! Perhaps it would help if you actually began reviewing code, dougman, instead of betraying your customers.

33. That Exploit Guy says:

@Robert Pogson

‘Acer shows side-by-side Veriton N with GNU/Linux and with that other OS “Pro”.’

Are you always screaming about Microsoft “joined at the hip” with hardware vendors or some such nonsense? By all means tell me what I am looking at here.

‘Don’t you wish consumers everywhere had similar choices on retail shelves?’

I believe we have had this discussion before, and I remember citing the experience of one Abbie Schubert with Ubuntu and Dell, which you ignored. It seems the last thing a Linux advocate learns is that a “no” is a “no” – and I am saying this with my ex-advocate hat on.

🙂

35. Chris Weig says:

You got that wrong. No surprise there. This blog will serve as trifling amusement to many people who can laugh at the Cult of FLOSS. This blog is almost like a zoo. And you, and oiaohm, and Old Mad Pogson, and, of course, dougman, you are the specimens exhibited behind bars.

This is just Moore’s law at work a base PC at some point in future will be under 100 dollars of hardware new.

Get better when you wakeup if you go all MS you are spending more in software than the hardware is worth.

37. kozmcrae says:

Ouch! That’s gotta hurt.

Microsoft better hope other retailers don’t jump ship and start posting normal, with and without, side by side displays of computers and their loaded operating systems.

Microsoft, and their Cult will, no doubt, suggest that all that extra money is worth it. Before the cost of Windows was separated out from the hardware, people thought they were getting it for free. Now they are being charged for it. That’s a big difference. Many people are going to think twice. They will not automatically buy the Microsoft computer. They will ask, is that really needed? Many people will take the time to do a little research on the Internet. Some of them may even find themselves on this blog. They might even read some of Chris Weig’s posts. If they do that, they will run, not walk to the nearest GNU/Linux computer. Thanks Chris.